Layton Exclusif 2017

Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly
Top 7 in Men's Perfume
Layton Exclusif is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for men and was released in 2017. The scent is woody-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Grapefruit
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesCypriol, Gaiac wood, Sandalwood, Cardamom

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 27.11.2020.

Dear Layton Exclusif,
i won't beat about the bush, I've fallen in love with you. The first time I held you in my hands in the form of a bottling and sprayed you on the inside of my arm, my attitude towards perfume changed radically. I had already smelled a lot. From the niche as well as the designer world. However, it was only with you that I began to consider fragrances from my deepest inside as art. You started out similar to your little brother Layton, sweetish, slightly citrusy and fruity, but I immediately realized that a different wind was blowing with you. The woody, oriental base, which became wider and wider on my arm as you went along, was already strongly perceptible at the beginning. Cardamom, sandalwood and above all oud, as it could hardly be more beautiful. The only thing you have in common with your little brother is the vanilla, which runs in the Marly family, with a light! Apple-citrus touch. Also a soft coffee (espresso note) caught my eye and also my fellow men. In my opinion, your very diverse scents, which give a somewhat unusual combination, could not be better coordinated. You are unique and yet very suitable for everyday use. You are simply perfect! Are these the endorphins?

You project forever. Ten hours. Maybe 12. Maybe more. I forget all about time with you. Everyone around us can feel your presence, yet hardly anyone bothers with you. You have a stable, pleasant character, which radiates an aura of sovereignty, masculinity, sensuality and familiarity. Let us be man and fragrance forever, until death do us part
In love
Your Leon
Unfortunately, unfortunately...
...the original's bad brother. In my opinion. The fragrance has enough fans and many would prefer it to the original without batting an eyelid. For smells it smells too "dark", too smoky, too obtrusive; the character of the original layton is unfortunately lost here. But all this is just my humble opinion - the rating of 8.7 must come from somewhere :)

Layton Exclusive intoxicating
I like this a lot, deep citrus, earthy, wood, powerful. It completely reminds me of Terre de Hermes in particular the parfum. It probably has more performance than Terre de Hermes though but it is younger. TdH is more sophisticated and for a more mature man. They are both great though. So good I had to buy a bottle.
DarkWinterCS
Too high expectations or simply not my scent
Layton Exclusif was one of the candidates I had on my test list even before I logged in to this forum. Accordingly my anticipation was quite big.
Over a year ago I tested the fragrance for the first time and wrote a statement about it. Unfortunately I was not completely convinced, because I would have imagined a more beautiful compilation of the fragrances.

Now one year later I was able to test the fragrance again, as I had already had a lot more products under my nose and imagined that I could express my opinion better and hopefully perceive the fragrance differently
To put it bluntly, I still don't feel it convincing enough on my skin.
One reason for this is that the seasoning on my skin has been too dull for too long. It's no different than hearing seasoning. Only after a felt eternity the spice, in the form of cinnamon and cardamom, mixes with the fresh notes to a soft composition. Even the apple known from Layton can be heard. But as already mentioned, this happens on my skin much too late, because the dull spice alone seems to me much too pungent.

The Exclusif is certainly not a bad perfume, as the reviews show, but it doesn't seem to play out on my skin what others see in it.

So it remains a fragrance that I have gladly tested. But that's all it will be.
The Hidden Champion of Parfums de Marly
Regularly I discover Layton Exclusif in the lists of forum users and I am happy that the fragrance is on
...appreciation. Nevertheless, Layton Exlusif remains an underdog, standing in the shadow of his older brothers Herod, Layton and co. Herod is the number one men's perfume on Parfumo, Pegasus is at number 91. In the unisex list, Layton Exclusif leads before Layton, but Layton has twice as many ratings.

Herod, Layton and co. are without doubt more popular. This is a pity in so far as Layton Exclusif is an interesting and exciting fragrance, next to which the original Layton seems dull and uninspired. Layton Exclusif combines niche and mass appeal in an interesting and pleasant way. It retains the modern, mass-appropriate and sweet elements of Layton, but adds sophisticated elements. The result is a prime example of a fragrance that can satisfy both niche and designer noses.

I would particularly recommend Layton Exclusif to people who value the quality and uniqueness of the niche world, but at the same time demand suitability for everyday use and are happy to receive positive reactions from their surroundings. This is exactly what Layton Exclusif can offer.
Keep your distance from people who don't like sweet, heavy and modern fragrances or who are looking for a summer scent
Which notes give Layton Exlusif its special dark character? The official website and Parfumo mention guaiac wood, while other forums list civet, coffee and oud. In the commentary below me, almonds are noticed. Some describe Layton Exclusif as extremely woody or oriental, while others perceive oud or animal notes.
As a layman, I'm keeping a low profile here. The only thing I know for sure is that Layton Exclusif smells heavier, darker and more demanding than its older brother.

Durability and silage are great. Layton Exclusif is noticed by fellow men even after hours, without me having to get on their nerves. And this is exactly what I expect from a fragrance - I want to be perceived from a reasonable distance. Especially in these times an understandable wish
An afternoon in Berlin
In October 2019 I was in Berlin on business. Because I had more time in the afternoon than expected I made a side trip to the KaDeWe. I already had 2-3 fragrances on the screen that I wanted to test, so hurry to the perfumery department. Now I had arrived at Parfums de Marly (unfortunately including sales consultant). As it is like that, I was introduced to almost the complete range. In the end it got a little bit too much for me and I sprayed the Layton Exclusif on my wrist and got right out again.
The fragrance has fascinated me from the beginning. Starting with a fresh but strong opening, the fragrance became softer and warmer as time went by. I still had to sniff my wrist again and again until late in the evening. Even the next morning you could still see the Layton on your clothes.
I thought about buying this (not exactly cheap) perfume for a couple of weeks and if I got a good offer I had to buy it. For me it's not perfume for every day, it's more for special occasions
The mature big brother.
I bought this fragrance almost at the same time as Layton in spring, driven by various Youtube videos and top marks on Parfumo and Co. After wearing it twice and testing it, I had almost written it off again and put it aside, but more about that now.

While in the opening he resembles the Layton with regard to the fruity oriental sweetness, the dark wood notes are added right at the beginning, which are completely missed in Layton due to its unisex character. In trivial terms: fruity sweetness with a more complex wood character. That's exactly how the scent was described and that's exactly how my nose perceives it. I don't want to recognize single scents from the pyramid here explicitly, but my nose is not trained enough for that either.

I don't want to go into the course of the fragrance at this point, several previous speakers have already described this very well, rather I would like to report on my experiences and experiences with this fragrance.

At first I wrote that I had almost written off this perfume again. After I bought the scent on a Saturday in spring, I had to try it out the same evening and wore it for a hot clubbing night. Oh man, that was a mistake! Because in combination with sweat and a humid environment, the scent on my skin has unfolded a very animalistic note, which I sometimes simply found unpleasant with its sweetness. A little bit disappointed I applied it again one day later after a shower, I just didn't want it to be true that I don't like it so much on the skin. And again the same experience: I was outside in the spring sun, slight sweating came into play and I just didn't like the scent in its course.

I was disappointed when I put him aside and told myself that you would try him out again in winter, as he is also rather a scent for the cooler days. That's exactly what I did and TADAA, he works in a cold environment or ambience quite differently and unfolds for me all his splendor. I wore it yesterday at a Christmas market, wrapped in an odorless lotion and the scent just blew me away. The tasty sweetness in combination with the dark woods on a rustic Christmas market, while the smell of cinnamon and mulled wine in the distance rounds off the ambience. A beautiful experience, which will remain in my memory.

And I mean, that's exactly why we wear perfume. It triggers emotions in us and reminds us of beautiful moments we once experienced.

To cut a long story short: great perfume, but it has to be adapted to a certain situation.
A successful modification
As messy I described the "normal" "Layton". I declared it to be overloaded and also exhausting - just as I had already made judgements about other fragrances from Parfums de Marly - be it "Pegasus" or "Herod", but no comment on the latter had yet been written from my side
Before I talk about the differences between "Layton" and "Layton Exclusif", I'd like to talk about the similarities, because these are present, unsmellable (interesting word by the way) and of course predictable, because it's the more exclusive Varinante of the Marly classic, whereas financially more resources have to be spent here, if you decide to buy it
"Layton Exclusif" cannot completely deny its origin with its fruity and fresh nature at the beginning. If we have apple and mandarin in the "cheap version", it is bergamot and grapefruit here in our "high-end product" that together have an almost absolutely identical fragrance character when it comes to the use of fruits in the beginning. The rose geranium is also present here and bears responsibility for a discreet florality that is reminiscent of classic roses but by no means assumes their darkness or their occasional gloom.
So it was with the similarities. The DNA is one and the same, but with differences that only become present as the scent progresses.

An estimated sixty minutes pass before the various woods surround the already well-known Layton DNA. The guaiac wood is responsible for a deep dark woodiness. The corresponding spice insert is well coordinated. So the cinnamon is actually cinnamon and not the sticky compote of spices, which only tries to remind you of the one you tip over your rice pudding, for example, and which I unfortunately hear more and more in scents, so that I sometimes wonder what some perfumers define exactly as cinnamon. In this case my favourite spice, which I learned to love especially at Turkish bazaars, has been carefully integrated into the composition. Although it takes on a rather small role next to the wood and the cardamom, it also provides for a compound of scents, which gives the whole an oriental spicy coat of paint, which is not sticky, skilfully damming the sweetness so typical for Layton's DNA, which is also overstraining every now and then, without being superimposed and seeming like "coming out the devil" when it comes to bringing in the Oriental. It becomes truly grandiose and very close to the ten on the rating scale as soon as the fine smokiness, probably owed to Cypriol, sets in, reminiscent not of ashtrays or wet wood, but rather of incense sticks. This fine, but nevertheless perceptible smoke is absolutely unsweet, but wonderfully spicy, airy, extremely aromatic and - what is especially great - decorated by the occasionally shimmering rose geranium.
The result is an oriental spicy smoke that surrounds the dark and dry wood, which gives the actually very pleasing, but in my eyes somewhat chaotic Layton DNA more maturity and stability. And even if there is talk of more maturity, it can still be said that this scent is still extremely socially acceptable for a woody, spicy Oriental, even if there are now more corners and edges. But this modified Layton DNA, which is more pleasant for me, is only socially acceptable if you dose it carefully, because in terms of durability and sillage, both brothers, the younger and playful as well as the older and more mature, are on absolutely the same wavelength. Here, a spray stroke is sufficient, with which rather no pulse point is aimed at.
Layton vs. Layton Exclusif
Oh well what shall I say, most people know the Layton Exclusif, they will know Layton and I think most people will say that Exclusif is the better and fuller non-scent. But side by side compared, I think, this is not so easy to say anymore.

Where Layton seems to me more like the young man who is available for everything, the man who goes to parties, weddings, dates or movies with friends, the type of man you see at every event in town, the man you always see with a pretty woman around you, Layton Exclusif seems more like the "lonely wolf" type of man. A man who does his thing comes what may and has his life completely under control, a man who polarizes and whom you would like to see at your parties and events, but only rarely. A man who would hardly have to lift a finger to seduce a woman, either it comes to him or not.

Now both fragrances have their advantages and disadvantages. Layton can always be worn. People like him, a lot, because he's a people pleaser. Exclusif goes more to special occasions and his presence receives mixed reactions, some like him, others don't like him so much. But he is the more pronounced personality, he seems more mature and above all more masculine than Layton. But Layton has more energy and is more positive, he is usually longer on his feet, even if Exclusif is not inferior to him in that much.
Both are extroverts, but Layton has the warmer aura of both, he attracts the women, but it is more interesting to deal with Exclusif ...

The whole thing could go on forever... and I don't know which fragrance should be better, both are very similar and yet they have completely different personalities from scratch.

I can't decide who I'd rather be with, I like both of them very much. Exclusif is simply Exclusif and you don't always find a given occasion for such, but there is still Layton. You should make friends with both of them!

Which one of them is your favorite? :)
Kieran
Nice and at the same time strict executive (m/f/d) wanted!
Evelyn recently took over her father's family business. It stands for Layton Exclusif. Udo, her father, represents the oud and the cypriol in this fragrance, the austere animal, because it wonderfully reflects his past patriarchy. Now he has handed over his scepter to his daughter and not, as everyone suspected, to his son Linus, who is more the Layton type. Instead, Linus has been appointed head of the marketing department. There he is popular with everyone, at every fun and even more at every party. Evelyn is different there, with her one notices the influence of her father clearly, finally this looks also again and again in the company after the right one, he does not trust the fresh wind so completely, which his daughter brings into the enterprise. His visit never lasts long and as soon as he leaves the building, Linus usually trumpets out a joke that makes the whole staff cheerful. Under Udo's leadership, everything would always have been serious. The employees were glad that Linus created a relaxed atmosphere in between. However, Evelyn intervenes when it gets too relaxed. She is a boss who praises you when you deserve it, just as she criticizes you when it is necessary and in a reasonable tone of voice. She never gets excessively loud unless you've exaggerated. Otherwise Evelyn keeps the balance between her father's severity and her brother's exuberance (who prefers to save his extreme stamina for parties and dates). Of course she also has a stylish and self-confident appearance.

My conclusion: Layton Exclusif has the potential, through the exchange of blows between Udo and Linus, not only to be worn on the date or in the evening, but also at work, because it is neither too strict nor too loose. He's just like a modern executive should be. If you can identify with it, you should definitely try this fragrance. Unless, of course, you work in a bank or a similarly conservative environment, where the scent may be less appropriate. It shouldn't be too warm either.

GolcherGolcher 3 months ago
Layton Exclusif also know as 'pretty much Layton'
ExxellenceExxellence 3 months ago
A more unique, dark, complex, elegant but also dirty, bad ass, masculine and mature version of Layton. Def my Fav PDM.
TRehfTRehf 4 months ago
More grown up brother of Layton. Still not redundant. More complex, hence a bit harder to wear. Similar performance. More woody, less sweet.
Syzygy73Syzygy73 12 months ago
Imagine the spice of Interlude with the sweetness of Vanilla Flash and the dry minimalism of Noir Anthracite and you get this. It's sublime.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 1 year ago
This perfume becomes unique opening with D'Artagnan - Almond - and closing three drydown musketeers: Oud of Laos, Vanilla and Coffee.
Tennis3040Tennis3040 3 years ago
By far the greatest dry down I have ever encountered.No words can justify, just see what you think.Hats off to perfumer

by Exxellence
by Arsi
by 3Lv3
by 3Lv3

Popular Parfums de Marly

Herod by Parfums de Marly Layton by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Pegasus Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Kalan by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly Galloway by Parfums de Marly Shagya by Parfums de Marly