Lippizan by Parfums de Marly
Lippizan is a perfume by Parfums de Marly for men and was released in 2010. The scent is woody-spicy. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Tarragon, Cardamom, Clary sage, Thyme, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesGalbanum, Iris, Jasmine, Patchouli, Rose, Vetiver, Cedarwood
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Leather, Moss, Musk, Vanilla

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 10.06.2021.

Landshark321
Sharp citrus/floral/woody mix, unisex cold-weather-leaning, under-discussed, perhaps reasonably so
Parfums de Marly Lippizan is one of the pre-Herod releases (2009-10 or so) that flies a bit under the radar, a fresh spicy aromatic entailing a fairly sharp citrus/floral/spicy ensemble of notes, including a medley of citruses, and some standout spices like clary sage and cardamom and florals of rose and iris, with some bassier supporting notes of vetiver, leather, and oakmoss. Vanilla is listed as well but it’s really not a sweet mix, which is perhaps why it is not as often discussed in the current market.

The overall effect is that of a slightly fresh and invigorating (due the zest of the citruses/spices and brightness of the florals) but is mostly woodier and spicier, and slightly dark. To its credit, though, it’s not overwhelmingly spicy, floral, or citric—it maintains some semblance of balance.

I don’t regard it as particularly masculine (Shagya, by contrast, feels more like a men’s signature scent), as there’s something floral, leathery, and resinous that sort of fits the unisex cold weather mold of a lot of niche scents, or is it something I’d recommend reaching for in warm weather.

Lippizan is interesting but is a notch below some of its kin—Nisean, Shagya, and Carlisle are more interesting, for example—but I’d still recommend that fans of the brand, especially, give it a try.

It performs fairly well and is priced at $153 on FragranceX and $149 on FragranceNet for the standard 125ml size, which is reasonable, given the quality, in my opinion.

7 out of 10

Lippizan (@Nose.Nose.No.Notes)
• PARFUMS DE MARLY LIPPIZAN •

Parfums de Marly sometimes gets a bad reputation by niche lovers for making fragrances that are too conventional and mainstream for the pricepoint, but so far I have tried several that have flown under the radar or that just don't get the same attention that their more popular fragrances get. Layton Exclusif is a pretty challenging and lovely fragrance that you wouldn't find in a designer, Shagya one of the most slept-on vetiver scents and Lippizan is an interesting throwback.

Lippizan instantly reminded me of some Amouage fragrances, although not as powdery, despite it containing iris. I can't recall the exact fragrance profile differences, but it has a hint of Opus VII (which is greener) and Journey Man. There's a distinct animalic touch, warm and almost sour. In the opening it's combined with citrus, florals and last, but definitely not least, herbs. I'm usually not a fan of an animalic accord like this, but here it overpowers some of the green and herbal notes, in which case I prefer it over it not being there. The citrus combined with the other notes (amber, vetiver) gives it a balmy, soft, orange candle or soap like quality. Additionally I picked up on the cardamom straight away.

I said throwback in the intro, because this smells like an older style fragrance. There's definitely a bit of barbershop, especially in the opening. I don't have a lot of experience with those, but that's the connection I'm getting. I think it's because it's quite heavy, with the use of musk and moss. Despite it being quite heavy, performance could be better, but it's not bad either.

When I sprayed this on for the first time a while back, I didn't like it all, but on my second wear, it grew on me. Lippizan is not the type of fragrance I'd add to my collection, but it's definitely one that was worth sampling and one of the house that I think could be discussed more •

Please follow my IG @Nose.Knows.No.Notes for more reviews and fragrance photography.

by GewoonBB
by GewoonBB
by Hordak
by Hordak

Popular Parfums de Marly

Layton by Parfums de Marly Herod by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Delina La Rosée by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Pegasus Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Kalan by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Cassili by Parfums de Marly