Nisean by Parfums de Marly
Nisean is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for men and was released in 2016. The scent is spicy-resinous. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesPink pepper, Lime, Grapefruit
Heart Notes Heart NotesRose, Geranium, Saffron, Frankincense, Amyris, Gaiac wood, Sandalwood, Akigalawood®
Base Notes Base NotesCedarwood, Patchouli, Cistus, Amber

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 14.10.2020.

Florian89
Classic, but somehow special. And somehow it's become one of my favorites.
Let me start from the beginning: this is my first comment on one of the first fragrances I was able to get hold of as a sample here at the souk.
I'd only approached the big names in PdM before, and Layton in particular was exactly what I was looking for.
When I smelled Nisean for the first time I thought "smells kind of old", resinous and a bit citrusy in the top note. But interesting. And I like it better and better with time Something for colder days, a fragrance to feel good and relax. Not as loud as Layton or Herod, but rather the discreet "job interview scent"
Dilan165
More being than appearances?
This will be my first somewhat "longer" comment and I hope it is not all rubbish what I will write here. D

Very interesting smell! When I first smelled it, I just thought "WHAT IS THIS?! What did you get yourself again? :(" (yes, it was a blind pick :D)
After a few weeks, I had dug him out of the last hole of my apartment and sniffed at him again ... I thought "He smells damn good! Did you make a mistake or are you really holding the Nisean in your hand right now?"
To illustrate a little better... You know what good old Bumblebee looked like at first... A broken-down old junker. More being than appearances - but at some point (I don't know how exactly this happened yet) - one of the most beautiful sports cars came around the corner. So that it would do justice to its beautiful nature and be perceived as who it is. It was the same with the Nisean with me.
The gates of perception
Today is my fifth perfumo birthday and this is my 80th comment. When I signed up here and just owned a perfume, I never thought I'd get so much into this topic. So it's all the nicer to be able to look back on the experiences I've had and take some insights with me. This can be explained quite well with the example of Nisean:

1) Both your own preferences and olfactory perception change over time. It is therefore worthwhile to retest some fragrances with a longer time interval. If I had not done so, I would not have Portrait of a Lady and Nisean, for example
2) Even brands that at first seem uninteresting can still launch fragrances that you like. Parfums de Marly has a lot of gourmand/sweets to offer - a category I don't like at all. I am also not very enthusiastic about horses. And yet, with Percival and Nisean, I have two fragrances of the brand in my collection.

3) To estimate realistically the sillage/projection itself is basically impossible. Your own perception has its limits and the nose - or more precisely the brain - quickly adapts certain scents, so that you often do not even notice them properly. Although Nisean lasts quite long, I initially classified it as rather skin-tight, but through feedback from other people I realized that the performance is much better.

4) Sometimes names or background information on perfumes make people adopt certain trivia. So I would never have known before that 'Nisean' refers to an Iranian horse breed that is long extinct, but because of its large, robust physiognomy and speed has long been in great demand...

(The list could of course be continued.)
And how does Nisean smell now? - Overall less complex than the listed notes might suggest, but still interesting and balanced enough. Immediately after spraying on, lime and grapefruit are already perceptible, but rather sour and not so typically refreshing, as the woody and resinous side, which essentially makes up Nisean, is revealed right at the beginning. As so often, the fresh facets here are less intense on my skin than on paper. Saffron is very present in the first hours and gives the fragrance a pleasant spiciness without being too demanding. I would never have recognized floral notes in the blind test, because the qualities that best describe Nisean are woody, dry and balsamic. Patchouli is one of the dominant notes, but in the form of the fragrance Akigalawood, it is much cleaner and less earthy than usual. Sandalwood also contributes a warm woody note, but does not appear creamy as is sometimes the case. Cistus / labdanum gives Nisean a darker, resinous quality, which fortunately is not accompanied by a thick amber chord.

Probably certain synthetic fragrances were still used here, which prevent Nisean from becoming too heavy and dark. That's why it doesn't bother me that the progression - apart from the top notes - is quite linear. I find it pleasant that no too strong spice, no flowers and above all no turgid sweetness destroys the fragrance. I find Nisean calming, yet strong and somewhat dark. But who knows... ...maybe my perception will change...

Dry Fig
First of all I’m a PDM fan, I own Layton and tested most of their collection, anyway I’ll keep it short, if you don’t know how the dry fig smells like, go ahead and put your nose on PDM-Nisean, It is not a criticism but this what I mainly get from Nisean, of course it has different dimensions through its lifetime but the “dry fig” is always there, I know there is no fig in it, but this what I smell though.
Cheers,

by Verbaplex
by Verbaplex
by DoNI92
by DoNI92

Popular Parfums de Marly

Herod by Parfums de Marly Layton by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Pegasus Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Kalan by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Galloway by Parfums de Marly Shagya by Parfums de Marly