Percival by Parfums de Marly
Percival is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for men and was released in 2018. The scent is fresh-spicy. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
Base Notes Base NotesSpicesSpices
PepperPepper
NutmegNutmeg
Tonka beanTonka bean
Balsam fir absoluteBalsam fir absolute
MuskMusk

Submitted by eBOSS, last update on 19.10.2021.

juste quelques mots..
blue sky
sometime at noon
22 degrees in Paris
light wind over the city
Jardin du Luxembourg
savoir vivre
A scent in the air
what is it?
everybody's looking
where is it coming from?
everybody's looking around
just an impression
that moves so much
for these moments

"The King of Fresh"
One of the reasons I stayed away from the designer direction is the fact that many fragrances from this segment have the same citrusy, fresh shower gel DNA. Be it Dior Sauvage EDT, Bleu de Chanel EDT or YSL "Y".
The deeper I got into niche fragrances, the further away I got from that scent.
Now I've tested Percival as one of the last missing Marlys and what can I say?
Imagine the best shower gel scent in the world and then you have Percival.
In my opinion, the only fresh shower gel fragrance you need.
The DNA has something special for me, something addictive.
The performance is also not out designer level.
If you are friends of the above, usual suspects, then do yourself a favor and test this dream of a fragrance
A question of perspective
When I got the fragrance, I was skeptical at first. In the context of the first tests, absolutely no euphoria could set in. As many write here: "Smells like a typical designer", so I also thought at the beginning. From PdM I expected something special, what Percival could not give me.
"Mont Blanc in something better and more expensive" was the initial summary.
Well, can as a flacon actually away again.... I put him disappointed back in the souk.
A few days, and thus Sauvage sprays later, had to get something different again. Since I just sort out anyway and it was too warm for other fragrances, the choice fell on Percival - I had at this time simply nothing else fresh.
"Well, I'll take it out of the souk and wear it a few more times now. I'll deduct that from the price later when I put it back in" was my thought.
The next few days brought clarity. Percival was better after all. The Drydown suddenly had something attractive. Not earth-shattering and no fragrance journey, but somehow quite pleasant in everyday life. It also lasted surprisingly well on me. It doesn't smell cheap either. Is Percival perhaps yet a candidate who may stay longer?
From the souk I have freed him (vorausl.) in the long run. The quality is really there. Recently I was in the situation that I unpacked my faithful Sauvage EdP again after 3 days in a row. The first 5-10 minutes were awful. Did it always smell so extremely synthetic, scratchy and pungent?
In summary, all I can say is that Percival is a good "blue" with signature potential. Whether he is very good, I do not know yet. For this I have to wear him longer. Maybe he also replaces Sauvage as a daily in the future.
A paart words still to the social compatibility. That is super! Since you will hardly tick off and the fragrance can be worn in any situation and from cold to hot. The feedback from the outside, however, remained largely absent. My partner also likes Percival more than at the beginning, but she still finds Sauvage (in drydown) attractive. Also: Sauvage and Office for Men met with more response from me. Who is after it, can therefore save some money. Who is not interested and wears the fragrance rather for themselves, finds a great companion with Percival.
Holiday feeling
Hellooooooohoooo *hectically waving like a maniac* here I am again!

Guess who is NOT out in nature in this heat and nice weather, but squatting in the cool apartment? That's right, ME! :D And guess who spends Sunday testing perfume instead of eating yummy ice cream? YAAAHAAA, ME! :D

Well, today I got hold of Percival (ok, lied, he is already since a few weeks but psssst!) and today Percival had to believe in it again and make acquaintance with my hand :D NO, not meant ambiguously! :D Smell my fist, what does it smell like? Um... Percival? Phew, thankfully not like a graveyard! :D haha.

Percival has interested me for what feels like 100 years and when I hear PDM, I immediately get curious because I like PDM a lot! So I got myself a bottling of Percival some time ago and was like then with Layton, immediately positively surprised! So tested several times, yes, TODAY also again!

Should I start or keep talking pointless stuff? I'll roll the dice, on a 6 I'll stop! Damn it, a 6!

I say, no, I hate to write it but with Percival I have a really hard time describing exactly what it smells like and more importantly, what it smells like. It definitely smells very good, well-groomed, a little sweet and indeed like freshly showered, with a very high-quality, expensive shower gel.

I'll give it a try though... I smell very faint bergamot, then I smell mandarin (kind of reminds me of MFK Amyris Homme Extrait de Parfum), pepper, aromatic notes or spices, very faintly something floral, very faintly cinnamon and faintly the balsam fir. Everything else I just can't smell, no matter how hard I try :o apparently my nose is broken.... I had tested already so some perfumes and with nearly all I could identify up to now approx. 80% of the smell notes, with Percival succeeds me this, for whatever reason, however, simply not, no matter how much I also try.

Sillage and durability
Sillage is pretty good, depending on how much you spray of it, you can still detect it a few feet away. Durability is also pretty good and thrilled me. With me somehow almost every perfume lasts 12+ hours on the skin.

Flacon
I really like PDM, but I just don't like the light blue color :( I really like the dark blue in Layton better. This light blue somehow reminds me of Peter Lustig's construction trailer (Löwenzahn) and in general it kind of reminds me of old times where a lot of things were painted light blue (fences, barn doors, the one or other tractor, trailer etc.). Yes, correctly recognized, I grew up in the country :D but otherwise I like the bottle (like all others from PDM) also very good, because these are very high quality, solid and noble.

Trivia
Percival reminds me of holidays every time, I really have no idea why but it just does! Every time I smell Percival or spray it on myself, I am immediately on vacation in my mind. I was as a child almost every year on vacation, although not abroad but but inland and often in Bavaria (because of the Alps, forests and beautiful nature) and exactly I must somehow think of.

As for the price: 150 € or even more I also consider absolutely not justified! The fragrance is indeed really good and pleasant and great for spring, summer, autumn and certainly winter and for office, going out, dates and what I know everything, BUT there is somehow missing that certain something, the extraordinary.

Yes, Layton is for many also no longer special and even mainstream, but I must honestly confess: Layton smells for me actually just better and higher quality, I would buy again at any time, provided that the price is right. Percival I would also buy but not for the estimated price. 100€ or at most 110€ I would pay for it, but no more.

I would really like to have reported more and would have liked to go deeper into the fragrance but my nose does not want to Percival somehow as I want :(

@!Thanks*
Thanks to MissPdMarly for the bottling :)
Lionwas
Past & future combined in one fragrance
Something pleased me right away well with Percival - when morning Aufsprühen after showering I had immediately this feeling of self-confidence and zest for action. I knew that somewhere...

Only when my environment then repeatedly and independently named the fragrance association to Fierce (Abercrombie & Fitch), I was clear where the positive feeling came from with Percival: Fierce had been my signature for years. Long before I even knew or used the word "signature."

Percival feels like the more grown-up, rounded, classy progression, and gives me the same confidence that Fierce used to give me. But Percival is a little less loud, a little more restrained. Percival is more subtle. Percival is more mature.
King Underrated
Percival is probably THE most underrated and unjustly little noticed fragrance ever. Sure, 8.0 on average is not bad, but does that do justice to the quality of Percival? Not even close. The last rating here was a month ago, which clearly shows that one of the most brilliant PdM fragrances does not get the attention it deserves.

Percival is one of the absolute best fresh scents on the market, in my opinion classes better than zb (the new formulation) of Aventus. He is fresh, he is slightly aquatic and thus very pleasant to the nose, but can score at the same time with a spicy, peppery note. Well, several run-of-the-mill fragrances like Dior Sauvage can do that too, but not only does Percival do it better, it combines the whole thing with a hint of a green note as icing on the cake. A combination that I have not smelled so yet and which gives a great, but quite linear perfume then yet the depth and complexity of a niche perfume and it clearly stands out from the crowd.

Percival is quite great fragrance cinema and a masterpiece of craftsmanship. Only durability and sillage could be minimally better, but that's complaining at a very high level. The perfume is great, the bottle is great, the price is unfortunately also great, but what the heck, Percival you just have to have
The modern all-rounder!
What can he do, the Percival? Yes, EVERYTHING! :D

And I'm already done with my review. :D

Since it has snowed again in our Tyrol in the last few days, although we are heading towards spring and this fact has annoyed me a bit, I was very happy when I saw the blue sky and the sun this morning.
I opened the window and heard the birds chirping. Great, the day can begin! Just spray on Percival and out into the beautiful world!

Percival is for me a great fragrance that I liked from the first second and the fragrance that I have worn the most in the last year. A good mood scent and I always like to have a good mood. :D
Percival is not a 0-8-15 fragrance for me, as it is sometimes portrayed. It just does what it is supposed to do. It's fresh, spicy, aromatic, fruity, and has enough depth to be worn year round, although I prefer it from spring to late fall.

Percival can be worn by any age group and goes down well in the office, as well as on a date or even in all other walks of life. It is perfect for a signature scent.
It starts with a fresh and fruity mix of spices and not strongly citrusy like most fragrances of its kind. Although not listed in the fragrance pyramid, ambroxan is also a strongly perceptible component, but very pleasant and fresh and not as penetrating and annoying as in Dior Sauvage.

What I love most with Percival but is the drydown, because the lavender is just a dream. You think after some time that the fragrance is gone, but then you suddenly feel again this beautiful cloud of fragrance in the nose and you are happy again and smile. :)

You can feel the great quality with the Percival and although this fragrance is not a reinvention, I find it special because it is simply much better, longer lasting and deeper than all the fragrance twins listed. As the only competition I would see here the Foconero of Tiziana Terenzi, however, Foconero is more aquatic and goes in a slightly different direction.

The H&S of Percival is outstanding and one smells him from the morning to the evening. If you spray the clothes, you can be sure that the laundry basket smells like it even three days later. Here I must note, however, that I have a batch from the release year 2018 and do not know whether PdM has meanwhile also taken offense at this great fragrance...

What is often criticized here is the price of this fragrance and that such a "generic" fragrance shouldn't cost so much because it's not unique enough... Uniqueness is in the eye of the beholder and if a fragrance does what it's supposed to do and then has super quality and staying power, it's unique enough for me. Fresh fragrances usually have problems with the H&S and surely you should be happy that Percival doesn't have those problems. For this you can also put a little more on the table, provided of course that the financial possibilities allow it. I find 210,- Euro for 125 ml also relatively much, but not because it is Percival but because 210,- for each fragrance is a lot of money. I got a very good offer and got my 125 ml bottle for just under 127,- Euro. This is not cheap, but Percival is worth it to me and that alone counts.

Percival is simply a very beautiful fragrance! The modern all-rounder! :D

Thank you for reading and have a great weekend everyone!

LG Aleks
Cainless7
Shower gel for the fat wallet
Can not understand the price of the fragrance. Percival is my first fresh fragrance from PdM, which I was allowed to test here thanks to a nice user. I wanted to see if the experts of the Winter-Niche Compliment Getter can also make something fresh and I'm quite honest: Yep. Percival is far from a bad perfume, but if we are honest, it is not worth the price between 150-210 euros depending on the sale and shop. It smells like so many other shower gel scents and contains nothing that makes it unique to me. Buy Fierce or Montblanc Legend, apply it a little heavier if the longevity is too bad and it barely makes a difference to Percival in the first few tests I did with it. Bummer.

The Fresh Prince
Opens with citrusy mandarin orange and bergamot and moves to a floral lavender and geranium mid very refreshing, and dries down with a woody, slightly musky, and ambroxan finish. This has an aroma of a high class shower gel or expensive deodorant, obviously unlike a shower gel or deodorant this will have a much larger projection and lasting power. This to me is a high quality blue fragrance, fans of fresh fragrances will love it, being in the same style of a blue fragrance this will have mass appeal and be inoffensive to others, and have you smelling clean and fresh all day. This fragrance projects due to its ambroxan base, and will last easily 8-10 hours on clothing with (6-8 sprays). I find this fragrance to be my least favorite from PDM, and easily replaceable by other blue fragrances that will earn the same attention, provide me with the same feeling, project as loudly, and last as long, but be a lot cheaper.

High quality bleu
Very likeable, very pleasing! All season - aromatic, citrusy, fresh and very easy to wear! Compliment getter, feel clean and feel good but with a niche high-end quality!

Longevity: 4/5 (8+ hours)
Sillage: 3/5 (below average)
Compliments: 5/5 (definitely a people pleaser)
Uniqueness: 3.5/5 (generic but with great quality ingredients)

ToptTopt 11 months ago
a more expensive Dior Sauvage
EdP4hommeEdP4homme 1 year ago
No, it is not the Fierce of 2010 (before it was watered down), I wish it was. Percival is way too spicy, love PdM but worth the price?
GolcherGolcher 1 year ago
it's very nice but it's on the lower spectrum of the PDMs
BertolucciKBertolucciK 1 year ago
Percival is pleasant. It opens fresh with some citrus and flowers, then some spices and tonka to create this all-rounder. The DNA is common.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
Percival is just to common to justify its price, with a nice fresh opening and lots of spices. The Fierce/Legend brigade costs a lot less...

ein Golfclub irgendwo in Florida
by WitDeBois
by Robvalvarez
by Robvalvarez

Popular Parfums de Marly

Layton by Parfums de Marly Herod by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Delina La Rosée by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Pegasus Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Greenley by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Kalan by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly