Percival by Parfums de Marly

Percival is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for men and was released in 2018. The scent is fresh-spicy. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin, Aromatic notes
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Coriander, Violet, Cinnamon, Geranium, Pink pepper, Lavender
Base Notes Base NotesSpices, Pepper, Nutmeg, Tonka bean, Balsam fir absolute, Musk

Submitted by eBOSS, last update on 06.07.2020.

Victory after extra time
If one would like to allow a scenario that describes the circumstance whether it - comparable between 2 persons - starts to humanize a person and a brand, I would describe my previous relationship to Parfum de Marly as rather difficult.
Exaggerated in price and appearance, yet lacking any form of quality or conscience, the house has covered itself with the appropriate drawer behind the frontal lobes.
Percical, so much to say, now manages to act as an arbitrator here, and for this purpose moves into the offices of my collection. However, I must also admit that we would probably not have been able to come to the same table at the established market price. But a great offer this weekend made me give in to the offer.

I have been using a bottling of this fragrance for a long time. This perfume could be measured with fragrances, settled in different price ranges So he first measured himself with MFK - Gentle Fluidity Silver. I liked the latter very much and since I'm quite good with this house per se, a purchase this spring seemed almost decided.
A previous comparison still seemed to me to make sense, since I already see both candidates in the same olfactory relationship.
But what left me halfway puzzled was the fact that Percival from the beginning of the Gentle Fluidity was catching up with him. The MFK did not manage to catch up with the PDM in one phase. I liked the clearly fruitier prelude of Percival clearly better, whereby this would be too cheap to criticize the MFK. The MFK doesn't want to score with it at all, but unfortunately had this sour undertone over three test runs in comparison, caused by juniper (?), which brought it on the losing streak. Let me make it clear once again ... the fragrances are not to be compared 1:1, but the relationship is too high, as if it would make sense to include both in the collection.

The second final comparison, however, did not seem to be a real one. The difference in quality should be too high given the price difference. It will probably come as no surprise that the comparison is to Versaces Dylan Blue from my collection. It developed a head to head - race.
The cheap underdog manages to put a performance on stage for the first few hours, which inevitably made me want to know why PDM has been put in the appropriate drawer in my head. Anyway equipped with a heart for the supposedly inferior ones, Dylan Blue manages to act at eye level for a very long time. He's slightly cuter, as described in other great recessions, but to such a small degree that my nose nods approvingly, figuratively speaking ... "given".
At least 4 hours this impression remains comparable for me. With such a long period of comparability we have already arrived at the final minutes of the duel. For the underdog - sorry, sportsman's language is my thing - a fairy tale seems to emerge. One could think he is confident of victory, becomes a bit careless in concentration and organisation and shortly before the end catches up with the declining durability of the level offered in the comparison.
Let me get this straight... Dylan Blue has a satisfying shelf life, but after 4 hours it loses itself in an olfactory mash that is certainly reasonable for the price, but in comparison simply cannot be discussed away The momentum from that point on is with the house high favourite. The bravely fighting underdog seems to run out of strength in extra time, in addition to the shock of the late equalizer. The added value of individual class is now clearly evident.
In addition to the clearly superior performance, the Percival now reaches its olfactorically strongest phase, much to the regret of Dylan Blue. The Drydown is, according to my nose, the best aromatic Fougere-like scent I have ever smelled. It is difficult for me to describe this twist between pleasing modernity and classic, over decades established craftsmanship, worthy of a good description.
Infinitely Happy makes me happy that this phase lasts another 10 hours. Percival will be worlds superior to the Versace in about hour 4. One would almost like to say that a comparison is not possible.

Dylan Blue will leave, move on to my brother as a gift.
I'll keep my heart for the underdog, though. ...forever
Bleudeheiko
A super all-rounder for one man
Now that I have worn the fragrance a few times, I would also like to share my opinion about it.

Why this scent is supposed to be a unisex scent, I can't quite understand in advance. Neither the appearance of the flacon nor the smell itself would be attractive to me as a female wearer.

With a man the points mentioned will probably have the opposite effect, at least with me.

I got the scent here as a bottling because it appealed to me because of the good ratings and the not sweet odour description. Primarily I was looking for an office spring/summer scent and found it here.

Already at the first test of the fragrance, a very fresh and spicy scent is spread after spraying.
I liked the smell right away. It's not too aquatic but in my opinion it's good for warmer temperatures. After several hours, the fragrance leaves a woody note with a slight sweetness.

During the whole period of wearing, every now and then a small cloud of Percival blows in front of your nose.
I find the Sillage so far as good and thank God not so obtrusive. That's why the scent is also great for the office. I am also satisfied with the durability, I usually get 7-8 hours total time
The bottom line is that I am very happy with the perfume but I can't say for sure if I would ever buy the whole bottle
But another filling with safety.

You should simply test the fragrance on a small scale in order to get an idea of what it is.

SchnüFFleRR
If Jesus had worn a perfume...
I haven't had that moment for a long time, like when I first sprayed Sauvage, Bleu de Chanel or my niche debut Aventus. Percival has once again triggered in me this feeling of wanting to wear a fragrance every day. As nice as it is to have a wide variety of choices, every perfume enthusiast knows that it can be a curse and a blessing at the same time to consider which treasure to wear today. The scent of Parfüm de Marly makes it very easy. It is in any case a fresh, pleasant scent that radiates a lot of kindness and warmth. It may sound corny but if Jesus had worn a fragrance it would have been this one - he seems so benevolent to me. It is so much more than just a dull cologne or a light freshi. This pleasant, hard to define spice-fresh-scent-combination is hard to describe but somehow it seems as if you have smelled it somewhere before. Almost like a friend or favourite uncle who always wore a good aftershave. Everyone who is looking for an uncomplicated, harmonious fragrance that doesn't offend is in the right place. Percival is in any case the brave in the Parfum de Marly row. I like him very much, especially because his brothers like to meet rejection from some people I will still use up my 20 ml fillings and then probably secure the fragrance for myself. Because sometimes the simple is simply the most beautiful
The Daily Scent
Hello everyone, as this is my first comment I ask for a little indulgence. But now straight to the fragrance, which is why you are all here after all.
As an avowed PdM lover (I own Herod, Layton, Pegasus and now Percival), there's nothing better for me than to stroll into my trusted perfumery once a month and let one or two PdMs caress my nose. Admittedly, until about a month ago, I didn't have Percival on my radar at all, as I was more inclined to get Carlisle. During my last visit I tested Percival again, without any specific intention, and was extremely surprised what was "riding" towards me. Sir Percival on horseback with shiny polished armour and a cheeky wink in his eyes that makes the ladies cheer.
Like the knight, the scent is not the most famous and not the best in the duel with the other members of his guild. BUT he is always ready and takes up the daily fight at your side reliably. That's why Percival is my new Daily Scent. It smells very fresh and is unobtrusive, it gives the feeling of having just showered and shaved, even if you haven't seen a razor for three weeks. This is also noticed by the ladies who are in the immediate vicinity. Honestly, it must be said that he does not represent a niche fragrance like his colleagues. However, I have been wearing the fragrance for two weeks now and have received compliments from women almost daily. But when you talk about the price, the ladies roll their eyes and are speechless for a moment. But in my eyes, its everydayness makes it something special and whoever has the penny to spare can count on a strong daily companion that projects and performs summer and winter.

Over and out
Maexishd
Proudly priced mainstreamer with exclusivity.
On my professional away trip in Frankfurt I visited the perfumery Albrecht in the Zeil. A perfumery that is actually almost exclusively composed of exclusive fragrances. All in the high price segment. I was looking for something new for the buzzer. Roja Elyssium was too heavy for me, Virgin Island Water too coconut heavy and the Interlude Man was simply no summer scent for me.

I went to the Marlys' shelf a little sad. Actually, I've tested everything but Percival. A sprayer on the hand. Hmm, somehow smelling quite good, but reminds me of the Sanifair furnishings one floor above. I went outside and was a little disappointed. When I sat in the extra sheet afterwards, a more pleasant cloud came into my nose with each wind draft, which I referred only after some time on my hand. Percivals dry down is so beautifully rounded. - Many compare him to Fierce and Bleu de Chanel - they're not wrong about that either - but for me it's the golden mean of the two with an absolutely smelling potential. So I'm back and I had to take it with me. Percival wouldn't let go of me because the sillage on my hand alone is stronger than what I ever smelled of Bleu de Chanel.

For me a mainstreamer that maybe doesn't fit to the rest of the Marlys, but if there was another brand on it less people would have looked at it as critically as here.

An absolutely successful fragrance that is wonderfully rounded off and makes your surroundings smile. As with all Marlys, durability is enormous and totally pleasant for me. A great fragrance for every day, even if it's expensive.
Gaussian blur
I understand any criticism about this perfume here, no matter what you think of it as, it just seems way too lapidary to be considered special for the price.

But I think it's funny how many people fish in turbid waters here to classify it and compare it with other products.
I don't mean anything bad now, but I can't see the main commonality, which is also mentioned here in other communities with "Fierce". In the opening there are a few fresh-fruity notes for a moment, but that's it with the similarities...

But what comes to my mind very quickly is this spicy, pseudo peppery attitude of "Heaven" (Chopard). It's something I would commonly call "aftershave note", but not in a negative sense, not a cheap aftershave note. But that's the direction. An ethereal, sharp note, perhaps also surrounded by lavender.
I also put this note in Creed's new Viking. And although I don't think the grade is bad, I don't feel it very well, so it doesn't dress me in any way that I really need.
Burberry for Men (1995) also has this touch, by the way, if you need another support to know what I mean.

To put it more clearly, Percival reminded me from the first second on extremely of Heaven / Viking. If they've copied anything, it's one of them. I could imagine that Heaven the younger generations know less, since it is already old, and no longer available. Therefore it is paraphrased with other things instead of recognizing the clear relationship.

Now the people who know Fierce and Heaven / Viking are allowed to disagree with me, I am open for constructive criticism, but for me and my scent perception it is really very clear.

And as I said before, this aftershave note is more associated with the aftershave note or the old perfume Dad wore when we were little. That's why it rather reminds you of scents of the league "Cool Water" or something like that, and you're rather disappointed that something like this became such an expensive product. (And not Parfums de Marly After Shave 1990)

I find this aftershave note at least not exhausting, but ginger spiciness in perfumes, for example, is.

So it could be a lot worse.

But it's just irrelevant.

I look forward to your opinion on my opinion. :)

Your N471v3!
He who seeks, finds.
I basically imagine it that way, without wanting to offend anyone:

"PdM has a new fragrance? I'm sure it'll be very good."
After the test: "Hmm, but not so the roar. It doesn't have anything special. But wait a minute. How much did I pay for it? It must be something special. The packaging says Parfums de Marly. So... it's actually something special. Okay. Okay. Yep. Right. It's damn good."

It is both a relief and a disappointment that I did not like this fragrance. Relieved because I now have no more fragrance in my wish list and disappointed that this fragrance really has nothing to offer.

Percival is really overpriced for what he is. Also I don't smell the alleged peculiarity and quality at all. I never thought I'd say this: but I even find Bleu de Chanel much deeper and more complex than this shallow and yawning water
If you ask me, this fragrance could have come from Jean & Len and been in "dm" stores as well. But then it would be hardly noticed and rated much worse.

I do not want to make a large description to this smell also at all, but I give my smell impression independently of the price again.

Bergamot and tangerine? Those citric notes don't show up on me. Instead, the fragrance starts fresh, spicy and slightly mineral. It is not a real aquate, but it already has something slightly showery and damp/wet. It has a minimal green-mossy-woody twist in the background. After the top note, it has a very subtle, bitter sweetness.

Percival is mainly fresh and spicy. Unfortunately, however, the spicy notes are so shy, so compressed, so flattened, so rounded that the fragrance appears very flat, without any depths, corners or edges. The only thing that seems to leave the flat zone a little is a peppery note that tickles the nose slightly and gives a synthetic pungent impression.

After three hours Percival also has "invictus-like" facets, which again negatively influence my scent impression. But this makes the fragrance appear a little more ambry, which enhances the shower gel feeling. I suspect that this is due to the Balsam fir Absolute.

So when such a fragrance is celebrated and there are 7.8 points up there, I am probably mutated into a critical Parfumo-Mongo. Because with all due respect: with many fragrances that have a high rating, but for which I would rate rather low, I could usually understand why a fragrance is so popular. But for the first time I have to be astonished that such a meaningless fragrance, which has zero unique selling points, could convince so many.

Is he sooo bad? No! He's not hurting anybody. But he doesn't help anybody. He's decent, nice and no end of the world. And yet there are so many other great little waters that can be created cheaper and thus have a fragrance with character.

It seems to me that one has inevitably tried to see something special in this fragrance. One has searched and found, even if in the end it seems to be only an illusion.
Jazzbob
I like him, I don't like him...
Basically, I have to choose a similar entrance to Flanker's comment: "With Parfums de Marly, I simply haven't been convinced by any fragrance. Gourmands / very sweet scents I can't stand and with the rather spicy-woody, slightly oriental representatives of the brand there was nobody who inspired me. Percival, another mass-produced fragrance that follows the trend of 'shower gel vibe', was launched last year. As is well known there are countless examples of this, from very cheap to expensive, and this is where it already belongs to the high-price level. Both can serve as KO criteria - if a fragrance is really well made, I am open to it, well aware that the label 'shower gel' rarely promises elegance and really unique qualities.

Percival starts with a top note that is basically similar in structure to that of Dior Sauvage or Versace Dylan Blue: A slightly aquatic freshness, combined with a slightly synthetic-fruity citrus note and lots of ambroxan. The difference that exists here can indeed be explained by the 'aromatic notes' that give the fragrance more fullness. Pepper, coriander and some cinnamon on a slightly sweet base (tonka bean) are easily recognizable. Without the enumeration of the fragrances it would have been more difficult for me to filter them out individually, because the spices are quite tightly interwoven. Lavender and rose geranium in particular also create a fougère chord, as was common in many fresh aquatic fragrances as early as the 1990s. When the opening notes have vanished, Percival flattens out a bit in my opinion, because the base consists of the discreet peppery spicy note and above all of generic woods, as I also associate them with the 90s, and some musk.

Since I was born in 1990, I myself have no real connection to what was worn in this decade, but I associate some of the perfumes from this period with slightly older men and somehow don't really feel comfortable wearing Percival, even if I like it in itself. I feel the same way about Cool Water and the like. There are simply many fragrances that you perceive as relatively pleasant, but would never wear yourself.

As mentioned in the introduction, Percival has a very proud price to pay, for which, I think, many are not prepared because of solid alternatives. Nevertheless, I have to admit that the shower gel vibe was not staged cheaply here and the overall impression is a bit more complex than with most fragrances of this genre. Furthermore, you get a great performance and a nice contrast from the slightly fruity, playful top note and the more serious base. Contrary to many praises of Percival and Parfums de Marly in general by some YouTuber, I find Percival less elegant than a simple everyday scent, in which only few people can perceive the differences to cheaper alternatives.
3lbows
Nothing going on without moss.
Looking for Fierce, the 38. Why Fierce? Because, as is well known, this was reformulated and is only a shadow of itself. I mean it. No early perfume-XY-yet-egg-and-oak moss whining. So Rossmann-Sillage, we understand each other.
And why Percival? He was kindly recommended to me here as a test candidate if I wanted to go in this direction. And I've really been through a lot of models; from Police to be - the Illusionist to Tous man intense, Platinum Egoiste to the inevitable Montblanc Legend.
I can't really describe this DNA in a really diffuse way. Synthetic-fruity fresh maybe? At least this is true of Percival; in the top note he comes across as surprisingly conservative and showery. But then this pointed, orange freshness quickly comes across, but not as in fragrances like Terre d'Hermes, where one attaches importance to a natural image, or at least to an interpretation close to the fruit, but rather to an artificial exaggeration, a reduction to the essential, the "perfumed", intense, which strictly speaking one can no longer call fruity. But it's this de-naturalization that makes me think the sex appeal of this fragrance. Terre d'Hermes, for example, is good - but not aphrodisiac. A completely different fragrance intention. Percival, like Platinum Egoiste, is one of the more natural representatives of this fragrance within this synthetic phase anyway, which is probably due to the quality of the ingredients owed to the price. But as said before, the authentic depiction of a fruit is not the aim here, but rather to attract the attention of the weaker sex, look at me, I'm fresh!, and at the most to suggest fruitiness. Panty drops halt - how I hate that expression!
because I like Percival, because he does all the above mentioned very solid, conservative, for the intention of this fragrance DNA perhaps too little offensive and provocative, but with quite perceptible projection and durability.
But when I spend so much money on a fragrance, I expect something special somewhere, something surprising, a quirk, something recognizable, something! But Percival is just the 5 Series BMW, the A6, which doesn't do anything wrong, and that's exactly his problem
So the search goes on...
Eureka!!
PdM fragrances have not really convinced me yet, but this is due to my personal taste and not to the way they are made. Only Galloway I found pleasant, although this one also gets a somewhat "sneezy" impact in the drydown.

Since Percival is controversially discussed, I became curious about the new blue one.
Last weekend I had the opportunity to test Percival for the first time in a perfumery. Sprayed on my arm, I was immediately reminded of something. It was on the tip of my tongue. A familiar feeling and slightly faded pictures arose in my head.

Flanker, this has something to do with your past!
I've seldom been so stunned in a perfume test. This familiar feeling, this smell... you know what it's like! But what is it?! I was just sure it had to be from the '90s. It was fruity in the beginning, paired with lavender and light geranium...I could have gone crazy! At some point I only noticed the scent on the side. Thinking about it has made me weird.

But he didn't let me go. I had to test him again and so a bottling moved in with me.
1. Day: Sprayed on and analytically approached the perception of fragrance, which meant that I could perceive certain notes, but this familiar feeling failed to appear. Beautiful fragrance; 90s; mainstream; fruit, lavender,...and slightly aromatic.
2. Day: Sour on the bottling and on myself...break!
3. Today: I saw the bottling and decided to start another, last test at short notice...

2 sprayers on the back of the hand and nose. Break, enlightenment, Hallelujah I got it!
Fruit (it could be pineapple and not mandarin), geranium, lavender, musk, light green spice....

I was a big fan of Joop Nightflight in the 90's until he was finally, years later, reformulated on a splash of his self-destructed. All attempts to get hold of an original version failed miserably. It was practically my signature scent over several years (yes, now it's out and I'm proud of it).

When I started my 3rd test with Percival today, it was like dandruff from my eyes. The fragrance reminds me in its characteristic, very much of my fragrance favorite from the 90s. Percival is the slightly more sneezy, finer Flanker. It differs to Nightflight by a certain aromatic portion and with me from time to time slightly flashing impressions of laurel leaf. Nightflight was always a bit "harsh" and "prickly" in its way, but with great sillage and aura. Percival is for me the more high-quality looking, rounder offspring.

The memories of that time, in connection with Percival, have put a grin on my face today and it doesn't matter if he could be a crowdpleaser or not. Before I buy a diluted NIghtflight version in the www, I'll probably go for Percival, even if only for a few moments. Some times are simply best remembered ;-)
Marginal note: To my mind it has practically no overlap with Gentle fluidity from MFK

Carlitos01Carlitos01 11 months ago
Percival is just to common to justify its price, with a nice fresh opening and lots of spices. The Fierce/Legend brigade costs a lot less...

by Schoork
by WitDeBois
by Robvalvarez
by Robvalvarez

Popular Parfums de Marly

Herod by Parfums de Marly Layton by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Kalan by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Shagya by Parfums de Marly Galloway by Parfums de Marly Byerley by Parfums de Marly