Percival by Parfums de Marly
Percival is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for men and was released in 2018. The scent is fresh-spicy. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin orange, Aromatic notes
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Coriander, Violet, Cinnamon, Geranium, Pink pepper, Lavender
Base Notes Base NotesSpices, Pepper, Nutmeg, Tonka bean, Balsam fir absolute, Musk

Submitted by eBOSS, last update on 28.10.2020.

AlexTheScent
Spicy freshness with depth - signature scent for warm days
Percival is the fragrance that made me dive into the niche world, so I would like to dedicate a comment to it. My first PdM flacon - of course, due to its weight, it almost fell right out of my hand. You notice that you're holding quality in your hand.

The fragrance - as you can read from the many comments, there is no need to expect a complex niche fragrance with depth and fascinating development. The opening starts with a lot of spice, a little lemon and lavender and a freshness that makes you feel good. I think spicy-fresh describes it best. During the drydown its true beauty then comes to light. It's not a complicated fragrance, but this accord of lavender, minimal floral and mint, and the masculine spice paired with this freshness make it a - for me - outstanding fragrance. This way the fragrance lingers through the day and leaves a slightly aquatic, yet still masculine lavender-fresh sillage. I would like to briefly mention the often drawn comparison between Percival and Fierce. I wore Fierce for years and then came to Percival as a "substitute". Percival smells fresher, richer, deeper and spicier than Fierce - simply more mature and for me perhaps the same DNA but two completely independent fragrances. Fierce as a youthful version and Percival as an adult version but not less attractive and in my opinion even more suitable for the masses than the Fierce.

The occasion - is for me clear to warm summer days. But it doesn't matter what the occasion is. It matches the white T-shirt just as well as at work or at a wedding. Because it smells more expensive than normal newborns, you are in good hands at all times and never attract negative attention.
The performance - as often written PdM is typically top. I have a bottle from 2019 and never use more than 4 to maximum 5 sprays. For some people this is already too much, you definitely carry a sillage of 1-2 meters with you, which gets a bit closer to the skin after 2-3 hours. The durability is for a newcomer in the premium segment. I get 8-10 hours with it on my skin, on clothes accordingly. For comparison, I would estimate about 1.5x - 2x as strong as my BdC Eau de Parfum.

In summary, I would like to take up the cudgels for Percival with this comment. You get quality for your money. A fragrance that is unique in its composition, yet suitable for the masses, attractive and one that lasts for a summer scent.

Ticodzilla
A delicious fragrance that makes me believe in the niche theme.
First of all I want to clarify out of respect for the panel, that English is not my mother tongue, and that I am from a tropical country, a cruel destination for fragrances due to the temperature and humidity aspect, and that finally this is my first comment and I am project engineer, so writing and fine words is not my strong suit.
I am not even close to a fragrance connoisseur, I am a fragrance lover, and I fell in love with this one, you feel the quality from the first application, it smells similar to other designer ones ,,, YES, but it is kilometers of quality.
In my humble opinion, for the perfomance of this fragrance, it is definitely worth every penny it costs.
Marly perfums is quality and distinction. There is no loss if you get the price vs. performance and compliments ratio, it's a great deal.
At the moment my signature fragrance, simply exquisite.

PS: Dear colleagues, a recommendation, I see that the price condition is a problem in general to decide the purchase, on EBAY it is available at prices from $ 115.00 to $ 135.00
Miloxys
Abercrombie, is that you?
Well, that fragrance will do pretty damn good. Reminds me too much of A&F, though. Therefore I wouldn't spend so much money for a perfume, which is also cheaper to get.

CONCLUSION: Smells great, but I would not buy it because it is too expensive. You should go with A&F.

Golcher
smells like shaving cream, very luxurious shaving cream
This was my second venture into the house of Parfums de Marly, my first one was Pegasus which is very very nice but that's mainly for evening wear so Percival was my first taste of a daytime fragrance from PDM.
Previous to Percival I just owned (besides Pegasus) 4 or 5 niche frags from smaller-lesser known houses and only 1 of those was a lighter daytime wear so my expectations were sky high. My first spray was met with a mixed reaction, a very similar smell, there's a lot from the note breakdown that I'm not getting, it smells like shaving cream, like very fancy shaving cream for that matter. Usually you (or at least I) need to wear a fragrance around 3 or 4 times to get it and understand how good it performs, to see what the fragrance is really like and even though Percival has grown on me my thoughts haven't changed, still smells like very fancy and very nice shaving cream.

I echo @IDK 's thoughts as he says: "it lacks character" and that's the issue, Percival smells nice, it's not a bad scent at all and it performs nicely but for the price you'd expect more. Many of PDM's relases have blown my head, this wasn't one of them, I put Percival just one step ahead over Galloway as my 2 least frags from the house even though I do like them, I just don't like them nearly as much as a Herod, Layton, Kalan...

There's a reason why some reviews say that they are good for heavy nighttime scents, test before you buy.
Pleasant fragrance
That's how I would describe him. Smells like a good, classic men's scent. Fresh and masculine. Unfortunately it lacks character in some places and you have the feeling to already know the DNA of the fragrance, but you can't go wrong with the fragrance if you don't have an all-rounder. For almost every situation applicable.
Guys want to be studs?
Hello you snoopers, here I am again and finally describe a men's fragrance. Today it's about the brand Parfums de Marly, a fragrance house that was founded more than 250 years ago, in the time of the French king Louis XV. It's a brand that is supposed to unite above all the things that the French kings liked so much: Horses and, of course, fragrances, which, by the way, would also explain why so many fragrance houses were supported by kings and grew to greatness.

Also with this fragrance here, the tradition with horses is continued in any case, because the name Percival (if I understood it correctly) was one of those names given to such breeding/race horses in the king's court. And yes, both passions (i.e. horses and the essences of great scents) combined make a great scent, at least for lovers of certain scents. I will describe how the scent is like here in a moment. And as for horses, well, I like all animals, even if I am not a big fan of horses. Personally I would like it more if there were huge cat animals to ride on, but well, ... you can still fantasize :D

Well, then, let's get to the scent! Br />
The smell:
The fragrance begins fresh with citric-aquatic notes and then becomes slightly spicier. I smell bergamot, general (light) spices, some cinnamon, a little more lavender and a little rose. It also has a slightly synthetic touch in the background, as well as a fragrance reminiscent of barbarshop scents, leaving the impression that you are freshly shaved and groomed, which is nice. By the way, the mentioned synthetic is quite ok and therefore doesn't belong to the category "cheap synthetic", by this I mean the kind of synthetic that in my opinion rather pulls down scents because they smell so badly and cheaply made.
Even a little later the fragrance smells as it started and still smells like a classic men's fragrance.
Later the intensity of the fragrance becomes somewhat stronger. And that's why you can smell the fir scents better, so that the scent now also becomes more woody and woody. The synthetic from before also evaporates and can hardly be smelled anymore. The tonka bean also makes it slightly sweeter. But the pepper flashes a bit more in the base and I then had the feeling that the scent reminded me a bit of Sauvage from Dior.
In the later base, however, the fragrance is not only spicy, but above all woody, with which the scent is then again reminiscent of pine and fir, together with slightly balsamic scents between the spices.

The Sillage and the durability:
The Sillage is good, so the fragrance is good to smell for a while. I also found the shelf life quite good, it lasted with me from morning to evening with, as I said, a good intensity.

The bottle! The bottle is matt blue and opaque. On the front, you can see two rearing horses flanking a shield bearing the date of the fragrance house's founding. The lid is chrome-plated and has a triangular layout, and the brand name is once again visible on the top. A nice bottle, although it seems a bit "too matt" or "monochrome" to me.

Conclusion:
Hm, not bad. I think the fragrance is quite nice, but I think it's a bit too expensive for the fact that, roughly speaking, it smells like a conventional, but well-done, classic men's fragrance with pine notes, which also reminds me of barbarshop fragrances. The scent is not necessarily as simple as it might appear when you spray it, but it is still a scent that can be smelled by many men outdoors in this form when they pass by or are nearby and where you can't really tell which scent they are wearing because these scents are very similar. And well-made scents of this kind are available for far less.

But apart from that the fragrance smells very good, masculine and above all quite universal, by that I mean that the fragrance can be used for many occasions and also in all seasons. Sure, for special evenings there are certainly better scents, but during the day, at work, meetings, business lunches etc. you can't go wrong with such scents in my opinion and should therefore always be on the safe side olfactorically. Therefore you can test it, at least if you should see it somewhere.

So the passion for scents of French kings comes across well here, but whether the scent also radiates the passion for horses, well, I'm not so sure. Sure, a scent can smell bad like hay and stable and... uh... horse dung, but wouldn't that be more authentic? Hey hey, the question is then, who would wear such a scent, on the other hand there are probably noses among you perfumos that are crazy enough to wear such scents, I'm sure of it :D
After all, a stallion symbolizes pure masculinity, and what guy would not like to have certain characteristics of a horse such as size, strength, speed, endurance, etc.? DDD hey hey, you know what I mean
Anyway, that's it again and I wish you all a good evening! See you next time! :)
Victory after extra time
If one would like to allow a scenario that describes the circumstance whether it - comparable between 2 persons - starts to humanize a person and a brand, I would describe my previous relationship to Parfum de Marly as rather difficult.
Exaggerated in price and appearance, yet lacking any form of quality or conscience, the house has covered itself with the appropriate drawer behind the frontal lobes.
Percical, so much to say, now manages to act as an arbitrator here, and for this purpose moves into the offices of my collection. However, I must also admit that we would probably not have been able to come to the same table at the established market price. But a great offer this weekend made me give in to the offer.

I have been using a bottling of this fragrance for a long time. This perfume could be measured with fragrances, settled in different price ranges So he first measured himself with MFK - Gentle Fluidity Silver. I liked the latter very much and since I'm quite good with this house per se, a purchase this spring seemed almost decided.
A previous comparison still seemed to me to make sense, since I already see both candidates in the same olfactory relationship.
But what left me halfway puzzled was the fact that Percival from the beginning of the Gentle Fluidity was catching up with him. The MFK did not manage to catch up with the PDM in one phase. I liked the clearly fruitier prelude of Percival clearly better, whereby this would be too cheap to criticize the MFK. The MFK doesn't want to score with it at all, but unfortunately had this sour undertone over three test runs in comparison, caused by juniper (?), which brought it on the losing streak. Let me make it clear once again ... the fragrances are not to be compared 1:1, but the relationship is too high, as if it would make sense to include both in the collection.

The second final comparison, however, did not seem to be a real one. The difference in quality should be too high given the price difference. It will probably come as no surprise that the comparison is to Versaces Dylan Blue from my collection. It developed a head to head - race.
The cheap underdog manages to put a performance on stage for the first few hours, which inevitably made me want to know why PDM has been put in the appropriate drawer in my head. Anyway equipped with a heart for the supposedly inferior ones, Dylan Blue manages to act at eye level for a very long time. He's slightly cuter, as described in other great recessions, but to such a small degree that my nose nods approvingly, figuratively speaking ... "given".
At least 4 hours this impression remains comparable for me. With such a long period of comparability we have already arrived at the final minutes of the duel. For the underdog - sorry, sportsman's language is my thing - a fairy tale seems to emerge. One could think he is confident of victory, becomes a bit careless in concentration and organisation and shortly before the end catches up with the declining durability of the level offered in the comparison.
Let me get this straight... Dylan Blue has a satisfying shelf life, but after 4 hours it loses itself in an olfactory mash that is certainly reasonable for the price, but in comparison simply cannot be discussed away The momentum from that point on is with the house high favourite. The bravely fighting underdog seems to run out of strength in extra time, in addition to the shock of the late equalizer. The added value of individual class is now clearly evident.
In addition to the clearly superior performance, the Percival now reaches its olfactorically strongest phase, much to the regret of Dylan Blue. The Drydown is, according to my nose, the best aromatic Fougere-like scent I have ever smelled. It is difficult for me to describe this twist between pleasing modernity and classic, over decades established craftsmanship, worthy of a good description.
Infinitely Happy makes me happy that this phase lasts another 10 hours. Percival will be worlds superior to the Versace in about hour 4. One would almost like to say that a comparison is not possible.

Dylan Blue will leave, move on to my brother as a gift.
I'll keep my heart for the underdog, though. ...forever
Bleudeheiko
A super all-rounder for one man
Now that I have worn the fragrance a few times, I would also like to share my opinion about it.

Why this scent is supposed to be a unisex scent, I can't quite understand in advance. Neither the appearance of the flacon nor the smell itself would be attractive to me as a female wearer.

With a man the points mentioned will probably have the opposite effect, at least with me.

I got the scent here as a bottling because it appealed to me because of the good ratings and the not sweet odour description. Primarily I was looking for an office spring/summer scent and found it here.

Already at the first test of the fragrance, a very fresh and spicy scent is spread after spraying.
I liked the smell right away. It's not too aquatic but in my opinion it's good for warmer temperatures. After several hours, the fragrance leaves a woody note with a slight sweetness.

During the whole period of wearing, every now and then a small cloud of Percival blows in front of your nose.
I find the Sillage so far as good and thank God not so obtrusive. That's why the scent is also great for the office. I am also satisfied with the durability, I usually get 7-8 hours total time
The bottom line is that I am very happy with the perfume but I can't say for sure if I would ever buy the whole bottle
But another filling with safety.

You should simply test the fragrance on a small scale in order to get an idea of what it is.

SchnüFFleRR
If Jesus had worn a perfume...
I haven't had that moment for a long time, like when I first sprayed Sauvage, Bleu de Chanel or my niche debut Aventus. Percival has once again triggered in me this feeling of wanting to wear a fragrance every day. As nice as it is to have a wide variety of choices, every perfume enthusiast knows that it can be a curse and a blessing at the same time to consider which treasure to wear today. The scent of Parfüm de Marly makes it very easy. It is in any case a fresh, pleasant scent that radiates a lot of kindness and warmth. It may sound corny but if Jesus had worn a fragrance it would have been this one - he seems so benevolent to me. It is so much more than just a dull cologne or a light freshi. This pleasant, hard to define spice-fresh-scent-combination is hard to describe but somehow it seems as if you have smelled it somewhere before. Almost like a friend or favourite uncle who always wore a good aftershave. Everyone who is looking for an uncomplicated, harmonious fragrance that doesn't offend is in the right place. Percival is in any case the brave in the Parfum de Marly row. I like him very much, especially because his brothers like to meet rejection from some people I will still use up my 20 ml fillings and then probably secure the fragrance for myself. Because sometimes the simple is simply the most beautiful
The Daily Scent
Hello everyone, as this is my first comment I ask for a little indulgence. But now straight to the fragrance, which is why you are all here after all.
As an avowed PdM lover (I own Herod, Layton, Pegasus and now Percival), there's nothing better for me than to stroll into my trusted perfumery once a month and let one or two PdMs caress my nose. Admittedly, until about a month ago, I didn't have Percival on my radar at all, as I was more inclined to get Carlisle. During my last visit I tested Percival again, without any specific intention, and was extremely surprised what was "riding" towards me. Sir Percival on horseback with shiny polished armour and a cheeky wink in his eyes that makes the ladies cheer.
Like the knight, the scent is not the most famous and not the best in the duel with the other members of his guild. BUT he is always ready and takes up the daily fight at your side reliably. That's why Percival is my new Daily Scent. It smells very fresh and is unobtrusive, it gives the feeling of having just showered and shaved, even if you haven't seen a razor for three weeks. This is also noticed by the ladies who are in the immediate vicinity. Honestly, it must be said that he does not represent a niche fragrance like his colleagues. However, I have been wearing the fragrance for two weeks now and have received compliments from women almost daily. But when you talk about the price, the ladies roll their eyes and are speechless for a moment. But in my eyes, its everydayness makes it something special and whoever has the penny to spare can count on a strong daily companion that projects and performs summer and winter.

Over and out

EdP4hommeEdP4homme 36 days ago
No, it is not the Fierce of 2010 (before it was watered down), I wish it was. Percival is way too spicy, love PdM but worth the price?
GolcherGolcher 71 days ago
it's very nice but it's on the lower spectrum of the PDMs
BertolucciKBertolucciK 74 days ago
Percival is pleasant. It opens fresh with some citrus and flowers, then some spices and tonka to create this all-rounder. The DNA is common.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 15 months ago
Percival is just to common to justify its price, with a nice fresh opening and lots of spices. The Fierce/Legend brigade costs a lot less...

by Lacrimalus
by Lacrimalus
by WitDeBois
by WitDeBois
by Robvalvarez
by Robvalvarez

Popular Parfums de Marly

Herod by Parfums de Marly Layton by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Pegasus Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Kalan by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly Galloway by Parfums de Marly Shagya by Parfums de Marly