Herod by Parfums de Marly
Top 1 in Men's Perfume
Herod is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for men and was released in 2012. The scent is sweet-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCinnamon, Pepperwood™
Heart Notes Heart NotesOsmanthus, Tobacco leaf, Frankincense, Cistus
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Cedarwood, Vetiver, Patchouli, Cypriol, Musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 22.09.2020.

Lasagne
No king's lunacy, just royal attitude
Because of the kindness of some of the community members some time ago, when I made it my focus to experience the tobacco/vanilla combos, I have managed to get the Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille and Phaedon Tabac Rouge samples, probably the two most famous ones in the group… and it was a disappointment for me. Shortly afterwards the TH Pure Havane has arrived, and I felt it was a little bit different than the first two, it felt most wearable of all three. I like Tom Ford and Muglers, but I couldn't fall in love with these, no matter how hard I tried.

In the quest of getting my hands on all possible vanilla/tobacco fragrances, I got the Herod that has left a completely different impression. It was the time before I learned that PdM are naming their perfumes after famous horses - I remember I was thinking that this perfume would be something crazy, dark and almost insane. I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it, fantasizing about how avantgarde it must be. Unfortunately, Herod turned out to be nothing like the mad king I leaned the mental image of the perfume onto. This is a very pleasing male perfume that I wear gladly and easily and that has a positive vibe.

The opening is pleasant and spicy, mildly peppery and with loads of cinnamon. At that point the perfume resembles L’Erbolario Dolcelisir a lot. Twenty minutes past, a dry and not too sweet vanilla makes it’s appearance, accompanied by the notes of tobacco, and this is the smell of raw tobacco that I am accustomed to - the tobacco from a pack of cigarettes, not the honey-like cigar tobacco. Herod was there around me for about five to six hours and was delighted each time a Herod wave around me would appear. This is excellent longevity as my dry skin has an increased appetite and eats up most perfumes - the usual longevity may easily be cut to 60% in my case.

The thing that Herod won me over with was a set of notes that (besides amber that makes everything you put it in so much better) are somehow leathery, and give a feeling of sophistication and… well, wealth. This is further enhanced by beautiful note of patchouli and a bit of musk that will be noticeable fairly close to skin, just as faint soapy scent that will appear somewhere in the drydown.

Herod is a very wearable perfume in my opinion, creating positive, calm and serene feeling to the wearer. It does not have the historic king’s lunacy, but it certainly has the royal attitude.
It is not mundane nor boring, as - unfortunately - the aforementioned ones are.

Asko47
The most beautiful tobacco scent...
In my opinion a great scent for the colder days. Who likes tobacco scents or generally likes oriental scents. Should definitely try this scent. Could smell it all day long.
Oriental niche entry 2.0
Herod, one of my first niche fragrances and also one of my highlights at that time. Additionally my original second comment, which I had written on this wonderful site. This Parfums de Marly has earned an update of the comment. Not only because I associate a lot with it, but also because it has accompanied me in my thoughts for a long time and has to serve as a reference again and again. Because there aren't many fragrances that serve me as a reminder in this area of oriental scents with tobacco wrapper.

Like probably some of you here, I also came across this scent through videos. Yuniqu was the perfect person to test this fragrance and to feel the advantages on your own skin. I was blown away and at a much later point in time I also had the pleasure of owning a bottle.

But as I already wrote in my updated version of my Prada L'Homme commentary, in the world of perfume you always find new fragrances that you like, tastes change and especially with Herod it is also the case that you find better or a more personalized version. So Herod had to be content with me slowly but surely always half a point in the evaluation to fall away.

Does this damage the reputation of the fragrance ?
Certainly not, he is recommended too often for that.

Does it damage the personal opinion about the fragrance ?
Also no, because he is simply classified differently and is regarded as a natural development.

Would I buy it again ?
Unfortunately negative, because I already have the best tobacco scent for me in my collection, even if it is not oriental in its smell.

Why did he fall out of the collection ?
At some point, it was just too much, too spicy in combination with the tobacco.

Can I recommend it ?
Yes, if you are at the beginning of the niche fragrances and are looking for one of the most catchy scents of this oriental category.

The fragrance starts with a wonderful moist tobacco composition, which is really very pleasant for the nose, with the addition of exotic spices. So you can hear very clearly vanilla, cinnamon and some osmanthus. The first impression is very intense and voluminous. In the course of time, the scent gets a bit softer and really only shows some vetiver. In my original review I had drawn the comparison with Viktor and Rolf Spicebomb Extreme, which is still valid today. I find the Herod a little more valuable and spicy in this comparison, the V&R a little more vanilla You will notice the scent right at the beginning, because the spices are thrown wildly through the area. Therefore I would already classify the Sillage as tidy. From the durability the scent is a positive example. Here are 9-10 hours +- in it. From the half the scent fades away a little bit and gets more and more skinny from hour to hour.

But now the reason why this one fell out of my pocket. It's called Nasomatto Baraonda. Admittedly, it might be a bit more catchy. However, with the points that are important to me, it gives me a few more shots. It looks even more valuable, has a spray head and a scent distribution from another star, lasts another 2 hours longer with me and is even more beautifully structured in its DNA. More vanilla, less spicy, slightly alcoholic and a bit more moist in its appearance.

If you don't know Herod, test him He's worth a look purely from experience. If you don't know a niche yet, then try him, because he is the perfect entry beside Layton, especially in the genre of oriental spiced scents.
OliH
Hey good old friend how are you doing?
I open the bottle, place my finger on the spray head and press it down the next moment. Suddenly my thoughts become blurred, I feel warm and light around my heart.

"Hello, my boy, how are you? How was school?"

Where have I landed? Heavy, wooden furniture decorates the room. The massive curtains allow only a slight glow of light to enter. The beam of light gets lost in the diffuse mist of the room.

In the next moment I notice the big old wing chair, which is standing in front of me with the backrest facing me. My uncle is sitting in it. He has noticed that I have entered the room. He tugs at his cigar and turns to me.

Only now do I notice the room-filling pleasant smell of the cigar. It is the smell of my uncle. It's the smell of a man who's in the middle of life and knows how to live.
Like a pleasant mixture of the smell of vanilla cigars, which have been enjoyed for decades in a room that has always served as a library with graceful furniture made of the best woods.

One way or another I remembered back to my childhood when I first smelled Herod from Parfums de Marly ;)

---

Herod starts with a peppery uppercut. But not the kind that won't get you back up. It is much more a liberating blow for the tobacco that presents itself afterwards, which clearly presents the heart of this fragrance. In the base, vanilla is clearly added, which rounds off the overall picture of Herod perfectly. The cedar wood is also easily perceptible, but it is restrained. Musk or patchouli are not perceptible for me at all, which personally makes me more happy than annoyed.

I would estimate the shelf life of Herod at about 6-8 hours. I would rate the silage with an 8
I like Herod very much. I think it fits very well in both colder and warmer temperatures. But in my opinion it is more suitable for men outside the youth.
DerDefcon
Soft, cuddly, soft, warming, cosy.
I already had "Herod" under my nose a few months ago, but then I passed on the small bottling in an exchange, a little annoyed at not having examined him extensively before, only to have the opportunity to test him again now. A thank you goes out to the perfuma "LeniWa", who surprisingly sent me a small mini atomizer. The last days were perfect for a test, because after all the thermometer rarely broke the 20 degree mark
I don't want to talk about quality fluctuations and batch discussions in my comments. I can state that "Herod" has a good durability on my skin and at the same time it radiates pleasantly without killing the environment or even the wearer himself. This is not necessarily so typical for the house of Marly, considering the Sillagebombers in their portfolio, where you have to be afraid to enter closed rooms even with a spray. "Herod" is different in this respect, and in a way that harmonizes perfectly with the fragrance character as such - soft, cuddly, gentle, warming, cosy.

For me "Herod" is a nose-flattering combination of tobacco, vanilla and cinnamon. The latter is not sticky, so nothing that reminds one of Müller rice pudding. But it's also not too dry or even dusty, as we know from Chanel's Egoists - the flaconed cinnamon canondade par excellence. Also the tobacco, which is strongly perceptible especially at the beginning, appears similarly smooth and initially exudes a subtle cherry aroma. Fortunately, we are still far away from the association "Shisha-Bar", which I have nothing against in principle, but which I simply don't want to smell like. With the addition of vanilla, the tobacco-cinnamon association experiences the last bit of warmth and sweetness, but without causing a sugary stickiness that demands insulin. In the end, we get a gently tobacco-like composition with subtle cinnamon and vanilla undertones that knows how to play to its strengths in the depths of winter - whether at the Christmas market, when going out, in private or in everyday life, as long as you pay attention to the dosage.

"Herod" will please most people, for better or worse, because the scent DNA is designed to do just that. Accordingly, you won't find any great corners and edges here and some people, including me, might find it a little too boring, too arbitrary, too interchangeable in the long run. My personal wish "Herod" would be one that allows more room for the tobacco, makes the cinnamon appear drier and includes additional spices that bring a little more pungency into play. But even without the spice "Herod" is a good to very good smell. I, as someone who is always a little sceptical about the house of Marly, must also acknowledge this.
Buena Vista Social Club
Extremely gentle but strong character. Vanilla like apple strudel, diffuse slightly sweet (fruity?) spice, dusty pleasant cigar tobacco. This is the impression I was allowed to get from Herod. He plays at the top of the league.
In fact, I find that Herod represents a year-round scent. It is precisely this smooth tobacco note that goes well with sun, beach and the South Seas, even if in a contradictory way with the other fragrances. Maybe it's more towards the evening when it has cooled down a bit and to a more chic occasion.

Befragrances
Herod love at first snif
I was in love with this scent as soon as i smelled it. Love at first sniff as we say. Wonderful tabacco and vanilla mixed with some cinnamon. After it settles the vanilla note stands out the most. Performance is as you could expect from PDM (Excellent). This is one of my favourite fragrance for the winter. This would shine the most on a mature man with a classic outfit on a winter night out with friends or even on a date.

Sticky
A monster to me. I sprayed it a few years ago in Frankfurt and I never forget how I was still standing at the sink at 2 o'clock in the morning trying to scrub the stuff off the back of my hand .... without success. Headaches and gagging until the early morning hours were the result. Syrupy sticky, loud, too sweet and unfortunately with a monstrous longevity. From the newest batches I hear that it is not so strong anymore and should not last so long... well that's what I would have wished for when I couldn't get the scent off my skin
This is also an old concept but poorly implemented. The tobacco is so badly processed and so covered with a lot of synthetic vanilla and cinnamon that in the end there is just strong, not very nuanced tobacco syrup left.

Best sweet tobacco!
The hype is true. This is one of the best sweet tobacco fragrances on the world. Period. I actually prefer this to tobacco vanille in terms of smell and versatility. The only negative aspect about this one its the projection. It lasts and you will notice it, others only will if they come really close to you. Its my only complain. Im a big fan of parfums de marly in terms of smell and quality of the ingredients. They don't make many daring fragrances but not every niche house has to be daring and bold. Herod, Layton, Carlisle, Oajan...all winners for me.
LilJ
If it wasn't for Carlisle..
First of all: I tested Herod directly one day after Carlisle, which left a very lasting impression on me (performance monster, great smell etc.). The bar for Herod was accordingly high. I described Carlisle as a combination of vanilla croissant and apple strudel. Herod also seems to come fresh from the Christmas bakery to me. In fact I would even claim that both scents smell very similar (especially the vanilla base). While Carlisle still courted my attention with an apple/tonka bean combination, Herod tried to seduce me with a cherry/tobacco/cinnamon combination.

I find both fragrances really very attractive and pleasantly sweet. Nothing for the office but definitely something for the cooler days. As with Carlisle, I couldn't keep my nose off my wrist for long (attention addiction potential) :).

Overall, I can understand the positive evaluations for Herod. However, it is one thing to test directly before Herod Carlisle. Herod is a really great fragrance - but in my opinion it is somewhat overshadowed by Carlisle, who was able to convince a bit more with his stronger sillage and presence.

NuuNuu 2 days ago
Mainstream... a fragrance that dont deserve to be on 1#, he is not that bad but not even so great.
Reformulated !!! not worth the price
GreMuserGreMuser 25 days ago
Very strong sweet/gourmand fragrance, to me smells like cherry juice at some point, very well balanced anyway.
GONZALOGONZALO 78 days ago
Sweet, addictive, alluring, warm, calming scent.
Surprisingly good performance regarding longevity and proejction.
Dan81Dan81 109 days ago
Classic but not dated. Structured but notes move freely to develop. An intoxicating, smooth, sexy and smoky gentleman's scent. Top5 for me
OmardoOmardo 113 days ago
it's winter and you go on a family trip in an European city like wien, and have tea and pastry in an elegant cafè. or you simply wear Herod.
LolusLolus 164 days ago
It´s something like the famous Tobacco Vanilla but better and cheaper :)
BumpyumaBumpyuma 7 months ago
I question the performance - but once I spread on hat and clothes and it was still there days later..
KimJongKimJong 7 months ago
Herod is what my wife wears. I feel this is lovely and cute enough.
GypsyJohnGypsyJohn 8 months ago
PdM Herod IS totally worth MSRP. With this no A Narguile, T. Vanille or Spicebomb X required. Clearing all hurdles, Herod wins by a furlong!
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 9 months ago
Tobacco, vanilla, cinnamon and spices and Green and masculine drydown. A mix tween tobacco vanille and spicebomb. Very moderate performance.

parfums de marly-herod: es hat ein weilchen gedauert bis die pure (sehn)sucht zu diesem duft entfacht wurde. ein paar anläufe bis zur alles verändernden drydownsituation warns - da wars dann aber auch explosivst um mich geschehen :) zündstoff indeed!
by Felsn
by Smellnsouk
by WitDeBois
by WitDeBois

Popular Parfums de Marly

Layton by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Kalan by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly Galloway by Parfums de Marly Shagya by Parfums de Marly Byerley by Parfums de Marly