Herod by Parfums de Marly
Top 1 in Men's Perfume
Herod is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for men and was released in 2012. The scent is sweet-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCinnamon, Pepperwood™
Heart Notes Heart NotesOsmanthus, Tobacco leaf, Frankincense, Cistus
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Cedarwood, Vetiver, Patchouli, Cypriol, Musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 28.11.2020.

Good. But first place?
A short feedback about my bottling.
Yesterday, Friday, I was once again spoilt for choice as to which of these beautiful fragrances, which are still waiting for a test, I should try The top dog should be.
The fragrance is very sweet, has a certain scent that I have noticed in other Parfums de Marly fragrances, and for me it is only slightly reminiscent of tobacco.
The durability is pretty good. It was still noticeable after 10 hours.

I'd wear the scent, but I wouldn't buy it. I'd rather invest the money in Amouage Reflection Man Which does not mean that the smell is bad. I just don't think it's good enough (for me) at that price
Not (anymore) really.
All right - let's have the bottling, you want, no, you have to have a say in it.
While waiting for the parcel - at this point my thanks to #PabloMcOlson - I already visualize the moment of the first spray: The iron-clad double door slowly swings open with a raised creaking sound, in the background the music of the Chicago Bulls, and the broad-shouldered Persian king of a thousand and one nights enters his reception room, which is covered with heavy carpets. He is enveloped by a fragrance, an aura of power and sovereignty, which fills the concubines present with unrestrained ecstasy, and the male servants with the sole desire to be allowed to possess his noble fragrance - at least as a bottling.
So much for the 8.7 head theater The actual experience was then shockingly ordinary. Herod is a tobacco scent. Not an inferior one, definitely not. But just a tobacco scent like many others, who play the chamber play of cinnamon, vanilla and tobacco in the leading roles. The only intimated, herb-smoky note at the beginning of the drydown cannot hold a candle to the sweet Christmas quails as an antagonist, and certainly does not pass for a creative outpouring. But at least it gives Herod a certain independence and quality, not to say a right to exist compared to the other spice bombs that are buzzing around the Advent markets.
And don't get me wrong - the scent is definitely my cup of tea: Spicebomb (especially the 2012 batch), as well as Spicebomb Extreme and Initio's Rehab create a warm and cosy pre-Christmas atmosphere, which makes me feel like a child without worries, but with cookies and presents That does not really make Herod better, not really different, not really more creative. On the contrary: in the current formulation, the Persian client king of the Roman occupying power runs out of breath after only two hours. That's why I would resort to one of the alternatives mentioned above, depending on my wallet. And whoever prefers the archaic ambience of a medieval Advent spectacle with the clouds of smoke of the charcoal burning instead of fine tobacco notes to the Nuremberg Christmas Market, should try Replica's by the Fireplace.
unisex!
Herod conquered my heart - I am of the opinion, whether for men or women declared - everyone should wear what one likes. Normally I belong as a woman in the absolute gourmand fragrance. But I also like smoky scents like by the fireplace by maison margiela, tobacco vanilla by Tom ford, bibliotheque by byredo... herod has a spicy smoky note, but not at all scratchy. I also smell a slightly sweet cherry with vanilla. Cherry plum? And the vanilla refined with light cinnamon? In my opinion, it is exactly this combination that makes it absolutely unisex. If you think spicebomb from v & r is too spicy, here is the softer version in my opinion. Suitable for everyday use but also perfect for the evening. It radiates warmth and looks sophisticated without being overpowering. Big recommendation!
Freezy76
"Herod" a thoroughbred Arab with noble bloodlines - the four-legged guardian of the Grail
Which scents are perceived the most ?
If I am completely honest, Herod is a crass orchestra of many different impressive scents.
At the beginning cinnamon and pepper come through very strongly and you can already see in which direction winter is heading here! After the cinnamon and pepper have calmed down a bit, the soft sweet base comes out. Consisting of vanilla, woods and the high-quality tobacco, it provides a warm and really complex scent. Don't be put off by the incense, no it doesn't smell like a service to me at all and I personally can only guess the incense if I concentrate on it.

Herod is just at the beginning a powerful and room filling fragrance, a small explosion. After the bang you are rewarded with a sweet oriental elegance. He can be worn with everything in the cold seasons, I personally only take hold of him when I am nicely dressed.
But it is suitable for everyday use and is very popular, which can be seen especially in the rating here on Parfumo. Nevertheless, it is far away from all the mainstream winter scents that you can sniff at the blue D.
Herod is a STALLION! through and through, an absolute perfume art
For one beginner in perfume, it might be too much of a good thing at first. Give it time, wear it a few times on colder windy and rainy days and you will discover the magic of Herod.

I don't need to say too much about the bottle. ...you could hit someone with the cap alone. Who needs weapons when you've got a Herod flask? I find the packaging of PdM very simple but to the point, because it reminds me of a pinstripe suit. On the packaging you can already see which league this is in - Champions League!

Herod is not in any fragrance for me, he is very high up in the cold year scents, all designers can leave their horses in the stable, because nobody can get near such a powerful steed like Herod! Herod is not just any horse, he is a black thoroughbred Arabian horse, the best of his kind
The Sillage as already mentioned above is a PUNCH, the durability is a tireless horse lung. 14h are no problem for me on my skin.
The next morning, breathe on your wrist and the steed is ready to go into battle with you. Herod does not leave his knight's side and even after his fall he stands on the bad field and spreads devastating hoof prints!

Mohdt966
The HEROd of tobacco fragrances!
Let me first say this, different patches vary in smell and longevity, Nevertheless...... When i smell Herod on somebody i feel like saluting this person, it's the smell of confident, masculine kings, definitely among the very best tobacco scents ever..

SCENT:
The tobacco note is soft and easy to like even if you're not a fan of this note, the added sweetness which is masterfully blended makes it exceptionally sexy & appealing to women.

SILLAGE & LONGEVITY:
both average. Longevity varies but.... this isn't a versatile smell, it's not a clubbing beast either, it's for nights out & dates in cold weather, it will surely carry you for the night but you probably won't smell it any longer when you get home.

It's wrestling Layton on top my PdM list... go buy it.. now
Straight to Heaven
I know, I know you could say my title is inspired by Kilian's Straight to Heaven...it is...but that has nothing to do with the scent of Him. This is more about Herod
Why is this scent so special to me? Why does he get a 10/10 from me and why Straight to Heaven ???

Quite simply, it's my first niche fragrance.

My entry into the world of fragrances began with designer fragrances. You go through the classics. You go through the "top" fragrances, Dior, Chanel, etc.

At some point you reach a point where you have already smelled everything. To everything his opinion has made itself and now his preferences so slowly or even already discovered. Do I like fresh, oriental, sweet scents? Possibly also brands? (With me it was e.g. Guerlain)

After a while I noticed that many things smell similar or the same. That's when I thought, "That's it? So that's it? That's all the best known scents in existence? That's it?"

A few months went by and I came across this page. (A new world opened for me)

I've often heard of the Parfums de Marly brand, but they weren't available at Douglas or Müller. After doing some research, I came across a perfumery that sells all kinds of niche fragrances. You can guess it, I went there right away.

Arriving there I noticed the flacons of Pdm. The horses, the massive caps, everything looked different from the designer scents.

About Herod I have already read in before and that this one should be one of the best of the brand. I have to say that I had no to low expectations. What is supposed to be great now ? After all, I have already smelled everything possible.

Accordingly, I had myself sprayed onto a test strip.

I can't explain what happened then either. There was this "Straight to Heaven" moment that I wrote about. While the salesgirl told me about it and introduced me to the other fragrances, I stood there like rooted to the spot. For a short time I completely blanked out my surroundings including the salesgirl and concentrated only on the fragrance I had never smelled before.

The scent was sweet, elegant, oriental and somehow dark for me, no idea how to describe it dark. I had the feeling that the perfumer was allowed to do what he wanted, because this fragrance is complex and yet "mass appealing", but in a more interesting form. Another possibility would be that there was no budget like with the designer fragrances, but as I said, it's just a guess
Herod is balanced with woody notes, musk, tobacco and vanilla. In my opinion, these notes harmonize very well with each other. There is not THIS ONE NOTE that either doesn't fit in or that worsens the fragrance as it progresses. I also liked a light cherry note, which is not listed, but it was still there. Of course, it could be that my nose has already said goodbye after this odyssey and that's why I smelled cherry.

The shelf life and silage are also good to very good. On my skin it still smelled the next day.

All in all I have to say that this fragrance has made the entrance into the niche world for me. It just matched my taste for sweet, oriental, spicy notes. These are so well coordinated that for a short time I was somewhere else, probably Straight to Heaven
The tobacco for non-smokers
If you liked tobacco vanilla, but thought the tobacco was too realistic and strong to be portable, get Herod.

If you liked Back to Black, but thought the honey cherry note was far too sweet and sticky, get Herod.

If you liked Pure Havane, but thought it could use better quality ingredients and better performance, then get Herod.

If you liked Layton but found it a little too spicy for your taste and you prefer something darker and sweeter, get Herod.

Edit: I admit that I've only worn it fully a few times and I've been praised several times, with people asking me to write down what I wore. The full bottle is already on its way.

This fragrance lives loosely around the 12 hours on you and projects strongly for very impressive 5-6 hours at least on my skin
In my opinion the best and most pleasant tobacco scent, of course there are also more complex ones but this one is perfectly balanced.
Sniffo
Rightly the current No.1?
Herod is a fragrance that I have wanted to have in my collection since the very first hour. Somehow, I never got around to it. Constantly I have looked for reasons to buy him, or not to buy him again. I got myself the clone, "Arabian Horse", which surprised me very positively. He comes very close to the original and I almost was satisfied with him... but then the Parfums de Marly Sale came to Notino and I hit it!
Herod and Pegasus, both in the big version. Pegasus was actually a blind buy, he surprised quite positively. Herod, on the other hand, exceeded even my memory.
I will refrain from describing the fragrance, it seems superfluous with the number of comments.
Let's just say that this fruity tobacco combination is really ingenious!
Herod is not the only fragrance that goes in this direction, but he is the best I have tested. In general it is a very pleasing combination of scents, but Herod still stands out. His harsh prelude is my personal highlight in the course of the fragrance. He gives it the necessary masculinity.
In general the typical Parfums de Marly DNA can be found again. However, I think that Herod is not a typical Marly. Although he plays with similar nuances as his brothers Layton, Oajan and Carlisle, he doesn't seem so overladen and omnipresent. His sillage and durability are good, but not on the level of the ones just mentioned. That doesn't have to be bad, rather it opens up a certain everyday potential for Herod, which I see in the less mentioned ones. One could also see him as the quiet and polite brother, who does not need to distinguish himself, but is always present. Thus he is the most sympathetic Marly to me.
Well, is he rightly the current No.1 in the perfume ranking for men?
Regardless of my own preferences, I would say "yes" Because Parfums de Marly once again manages to combine niche and mainstream. Herod is a high-quality and pleasing men's fragrance with potential in all age groups.
Hegen
The horse/beast for special occasions
My first fragrance from Pdm and certainly not the last...
I associate success with this fragrance. This fragrance has accompanied me from my passed final exams to various special occasions and certainly not reserved. After applying it you can feel the dominant tobacco smell. Of course this pleasant pipe smell.... Mixed with a fresh cinnamon stick from the supermarket. Great! In any case, the scent leaves a huge cloud of scent. One stands out. The absolutely first niche scent of mine. So I had to fuck around a bit first. From boaahhhh what is that to mega horny part I have lived through all phases

This can´t be a Parfums de Marly
I finally got my nose on Herod, after a long waiting and I do like the scent, that tobacco honey which is cosy, almost like Pure Havane. The main difference is that Pure Havane stays on the skin and it´s noticeable for the whole day, this Herod I smell goes as fast as it comes.

I do not even understand how this and Layton are the same from the same house, when I spray Layton once in the morning, it is strong as f** 8 hours later and still projects.

The bottle was bought by a Parfumo member in a sharing from Notino, which I trust as selling original products so it is not a fake to have performance issues. I saw on Parfumdreams and Notino some reviews in which the people were complaining about the longevity of the scent .. I really do hope PdM did not *shock* reformulated the Herod or it has always been so but the people did not noticed.

Scent: 8
H/S : 6
Bottle: 10

911Frags911Frags 1 day ago
a good scent but not the nr1 men scent
especially not if he is very feminine.
dumb reach for teenagers...
AithanAithan 13 days ago
I get sticky cherry honey in opening. Quite sweet.
Smooth & alluring tobacco & creamy coffee like dry-down.
2016 batch, performs very well.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 1 month ago
A slightly fruity, yet creamy/sweet oriental-spicy Fall fragrance, balanced by a gentle earthy-woody base. Very smooth, yet good performance
EdP4hommeEdP4homme 2 months ago
it is hard for me to talk negative about PdM, but smell it first, the cinnamon for me is too harsh in the opening...
GreMuserGreMuser 3 months ago
Very strong sweet/gourmand fragrance, to me smells like cherry juice at some point, very well balanced anyway.
GONZALOGONZALO 5 months ago
Sweet, addictive, alluring, warm, calming scent.
Surprisingly good performance regarding longevity and proejction.
Dan81Dan81 6 months ago
Classic but not dated. Structured but notes move freely to develop. An intoxicating, smooth, sexy and smoky gentleman's scent. Top5 for me
OmardoOmardo 6 months ago
it's winter and you go on a family trip in an European city like wien, and have tea and pastry in an elegant cafè. or you simply wear Herod.
LolusLolus 8 months ago
It´s something like the famous Tobacco Vanilla but better and cheaper :)
BumpyumaBumpyuma 9 months ago
I question the performance - but once I spread on hat and clothes and it was still there days later..

parfums de marly-herod: es hat ein weilchen gedauert bis die pure (sehn)sucht zu diesem duft entfacht wurde. ein paar anläufe bis zur alles verändernden drydownsituation warns - da wars dann aber auch explosivst um mich geschehen :) zündstoff indeed!
by Felsn
by Smellnsouk
by WitDeBois
by WitDeBois

Popular Parfums de Marly

Layton by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Pegasus Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Kalan by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly Galloway by Parfums de Marly Shagya by Parfums de Marly