Herod by Parfums de Marly
Top 3 in Men's Perfume
Herod is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for men and was released in 2012. The scent is sweet-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase.
Scent goes well with Baccarat Rouge 540 (Eau de Parfum)

Top Notes Top NotesCinnamonCinnamon
VetiverVetiver
PatchouliPatchouli
CypriolCypriol
MuskMusk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 24.10.2021.

Beautiful fragrance but
Hello all together
My first review on parfumo so please criticize with kid gloves ?.
I bought the Herod about Notino (original) and find him really hammer. In my opinion, he smells in drydown very similar to the Spicebomb extreme I also like very much . My problem with the herod is the durability and sillage. After an hour he is only skin close perceptible. Really a pity for such a great fragrance. Vlt someone has a tip where I can get him with a good H / S because I've seen on YouTube that the new barches should be very good again.
Smnbkr
les histoires des parfums - chapitre 4 - Cinnamon tobacco dessert from the Rue Bonaparte
Do you know the Ladurée store on Rue Bonaparte at the corner of Rue Jacob in Paris? If not, put it on your "to-do list" for your next stay in Paris (if it's not yet booked or at least planned, I urge you to do so quickly :-) ). So I can't get past the theming of my boundless love for the ville lumière in this review, and, frankly, I don't want to. How I make the connection to 2012's "Herod" by Parfums de Marly? Listen carefully...!

Our protagonist had only been living in Paris for a few weeks at the time. He knew about niche fragrances fairly well, and had had a few visits to the Jovoy boutique at the Tuileries (also on the Paris list, s'il vous plaît), during which I'm sure he made everyone within a ten-metre radius forever allergic to perfume on the long metro ride home. So he decided to turn to the flagship stores of Parisian niche perfumeries, and chose the Parfums de Marly boutique as his first pick. The reason for this was once again Jeremy Fragrance, who (yes, really) was still a kind of god of the perfume world for our protagonist at the time. His constant, mantra-like repetition of the "Layton" scent from this house had achieved the YouTuber's desired effect, and drove the 19-year-old FSJ student on a cool late October day after work and the gym once again in downtown Paris. Dressed in a down jacket and Nike sweatpants, slightly sweaty and not really wealthy, he must have left a dubious impression on the vendor hyena next to the fragrance table; but he didn't really care. He was now eager to try out the much-hyped Marlys. On y va...

Started with the fragrances from the "Arabian-Breed" series. Flakontechnisch this is really Championsleague. Mercedes-Maybach. House in the Hamptons. Black and classy, they stand there in rows, waiting to be tested. Unfortunately, none of these luxury horses could stand up to the protagonist's nose, and so apart from "Oajan", which could be a nice room scent, nothing remained in the memory. It was a different story with the scents he had written down on his list. Layton, Pegasus, Godolphin and Herod convinced him so much in the boutique that he asked the sales hyena to give him bottlings of all four scents, which she did, surprisingly willingly by hyena standards. The journey home was made with satisfaction, not least because of the convincing performance in French, which was by no means a given at the beginning of the year in Paris.

"Herod" was not to take long to completely captivate the protagonist. It was the much-described "love at first sniff". Warm, soft, gourmand (he didn't know that term at the time, but smelled exactly what he would describe it as today), slightly sweet, subtle tobacco notes in the background. What a smell. "Oajan" without a room scent feel. Woody-tobacco Layton (which would also win him over, but more on that in another chapitre) with a gourmand feel. The cinnamon note reminded him, oddly enough, even if there were no similarities in smell or taste, of a macaron special edition from the aforementioned world-famous patisserie he had once been given. He had to have it, the first really expensive niche fragrance of his life. So one afternoon he bought it on the spur of the moment in the very boutique where he had first met and smelled it. Priced then beyond good and beyond anything he thought was adequate for a perfume at the time. I guess he'd never heard of Roja, Xerjoff, and Tiziana Terenzi. ?

He allowed him his first outlet on a dance night with the French girlfriend already mentioned in the review of "Grand Soir" and her then partner at the "Panic Room", a small bar with an integrated techno basement in the 11th arrondissement east of downtown. After two compliments (not counting those from his two fellow dancers) on the small dance floor, he knew he had made the right choice. He registered it only in bits and pieces now; it tended to be a quiet companion on his skin.

To end the beautiful evening of celebration, a few more cigarettes were consumed on a small grassy strip near the "Filles du Calvaire" metro station, ranting about God and the world, Paris, and the protagonist's French progress. He, however, did not smoke a cigarette. He had already had his nicotine-free dose of tobacco. And what a.....
Dennis79
Herod vs. Pure Havane - and the winner is...
In search of a tobacco scent, I came across this *Herod* through some reviews. Similarly, I own a bottling of Pure Havane by Mugler, which is also considered THE tobacco scent par excellence. But who is the BEST now - Herod or Pure Havane? Here you will find out:

Fragrance Pure Havane (8/10) vs. Herod (8,5/10):
In the opening, the Herod starts off heavier with a woody, peppery note that comes from the pepperwood. The cinnamon I personally perceive only subliminally. The tobacco I also smell only slightly through.
The Pure Havane, on the other hand, starts off fresher and with a mixture of honey and herbaceous, mildly sweet honey scent. My nose also perceives a kind of cardamom ie spicy eucalyptus (but is not listed) and it smells a little like cherry (not listed).

After about 30-60 minutes, the Herod evolves and becomes much smoother and lighter - the scent is now fruity-floral for me. The Pure Havane, on the other hand, is also smoother, but remains linarer in the scent progression i.e. this is still herbaceous sweet tobacco-heavy.

In the drydown, the Herod shows its chivalrous strengths and the vanilla comes through very well. My nose picks up a cool blend of smooth tobacco and slightly sweet vanilla notes here.
The Cuban, on the other hand, remains very linear and stays true to itself towards the end.

Both have great tobacco notes, are in the opening a little getting used to (Herod a little bitter-heavy) and Havane (very Krauftig, strong), but they both play out your strengths in the drydown, whereby me here the Herod comes across more complex and has a nicer scent progression with the vanilla at the end. Fragrance winner is here for me the chivalrous Herod!

SILLAGE Pure Havane (8/10) vs. Herod (7/10):
Tested side by side, the Cuban has a slight edge especially in the opening, though the Herod also projects well. Not too much of either should be applied.

HALTBARKEIT Pure Havane (9/10) vs. Herod (9/10):
On my skin long hold both well perceptible so about 8 hrs.

VERSATILITY Pure Havane (5/10) vs. Herod (6,5/10)
Both fragrances I recommend because of the projection and durability rather in winter or cold autumn.
The Herod I would even wear in the office, as it is smoother and more defused by the vanilla than the spicy Cuban.

MY RECOMMENDATION:
So which is the best tobacco scent? If it's about the tobacco coming across most prominently and you want to feel like you're rolling a cigar right now - go with the Pure Havane. Anyone else looking for a more complex, pleasing scent that also includes tobacco - I'd rather advise the Herod. Despite the large price difference of Pure Havane (80 € / 100ml) to (200 € / 100ml) I personally can not establish a large difference in quality.

What do you think - what is the best tobacco fragrance for you?

P.S: Who is looking for the best price / performance tobacco fragrance - which can look at this review:
Moritz2020
Get out the blankies, it's getting cozy!
Here we have it in my opinion with a wonderfully seductive fragrance for the cold days to do. Herod is a dreamy tobacco cherry combination. Many also think to smell cinnamon, for me it is clearly cherry. As strong as the sweet cherry slayed me at first, it is gone just as quickly. Their sweetness, however, remains and gives the tobacco, which becomes more dominant with time, a great twist.
The performance was probably stronger earlier I have been told. Nevertheless, this fragrance may not be missing for me in the winter time.
The most positive feedback I got from women. Therefore, the fragrance is ideal for cozy togetherness. Both outside, as well as on the sofa. Herod is super portable and balances on the bridge of balance. Neither too strong, nor too weak. Just right for me!
Fantastic feel-good scent!
The Herod I bought only recently, after I have Layton already longer in my collection. Since I like the DNA of de Marly fragrances very much (for many are the yes too sweet and playful), it was clear to me from the beginning that I must also own Herod sometime.

Based on the descriptions and my other experiences with PdM, I assumed a much heavier fragrance. Herod is really stunning. It just makes you feel good when you wear it. I smell a slightly fruity tobacco wrapped in (not sticky) vanilla. It has a certain sweetness to it, but it's much more transparent and "wearable" or unobtrusive than I thought it would be. For me, it smells a little like a very high-quality spirit.

Some criticize poor performance - I personally can not confirm this: My 2021 bottle lasts on the back of my hand just under 13 hours and is then still perceptible. Herod is just not as loud as a Layton and also no board that flies permanently around the ears. It is rather fine with the previously described transparency in the air and smells incredibly high-quality. I therefore think that the criticized performance is more related to self-perception.

Conclusion: Fantastic fragrance and because of the transparency also not only for super cold temperatures (but please do not wear in high summer ;-))!
RaoulDuke
Reports can be off-putting... Don't be fooled.
PDM Herod was first played to me as a sample and I basically liked it already then. Fruity tobacco, with a strong vanilla and light cherry in the background. H/S were quite convincing in this sample, but this should also come from a then old batch. In addition, I can imagine the fragrance quite on a woman. Since one should not think too much in categories.

What I then read in comments and reviews on the subject of falling off H/S thanks to reformulation, has deterred me so much to buy the fragrance that I hesitated for more than a year. So the price was definitely too high for me for a fragrance that is nice but is supposed to fade away after an hour by now. Therefore, first blinkers on and forget.

When I then the sample came under me again after some time and I was allowed to come into the great enjoyment of this elegant and warm fragrance, I took my money in the hand despite all warnings and invested in a new bottle.

And it came as I could not have dreamed: Despite new batch: same fragrance, same durability, same sillage. In addition, the fragrance is in my opinion rather tart and better the longer he still matures in the bottle. So don't be put off, get PDM Herod and if it doesn't perform, just give it a rest. Because Herod can and will!
Nasowood
Oooh- madness! Full on the twelve
I got Herod about 3-4 years ago as a fragrance sample with a regular order.

From the first sample I was not yet so flashed. The sample was rather sweet than tart, on my skin came out quite quickly the vanilla as a clock.
So I put him first "on file".
Later I received another sample, which came more full-bodied, more tart, yes, rounder. I suspect that there may be different batches. Batches can give, which vary due to the natürl. ingredients?
The shelf life was also better in the 2nd sample.

At Christmas, I then bought a bottle.

What should I say: My favorite tobacco fragrance.
He is for me quaffable, delicious, this symbiosis of fine, fresh tobacco, cinnamon, tart notes, woods is beguiling. The vanilla I smell on top.

It smells very high-quality, natural, not synthetic, is not exhausting and takes one benevolently in the arm.

Herod has already earned me a few compliments or inquiries.
But that's not why I wear perfume.
I must like to smell myself.
From the performance it could be a tad stronger. After 4-5 hours he is already quieter with me and is perceptible as a whisper. A sillage monster he is also not.

I also like to wear it in the office. It lifts my work mood when I hear a delightful pinch now and then. A fragrance that can bring a smile.

Herod is for me next to Layton Exclusif the best fragrance from the house of PdM.

Conclusion: I love him. Short and crisp.

Sweet Tobacco Masterpiece
Herod is in my top 3 sweet tobacco perfume. That fruity accord is always present, reaching to be never predominant in that top quality sweet tobacco and vanilla. The perfect mix of great ingredients make Herod the king of tobacco perfumes with perfect balance. When you apply in your skin, you want only more and want always smell and smell again, because its really amazing that sweet light fruitobacco gourmand style. Sillage and longevity are good, not the top but surely good. Masterpiece.
Cock of the walk
The day begins as it often does. As a pensioner, Waldemar usually sleeps late, then has coffee, a roll, watches the news and reads a bit. A day like any other? No, because today is Sunday and Sunday is different. In the clubhouse is afternoon dance tea and he since half a year with eagerness.

For this he makes himself in advance always quite fine with suit, white shirt, colorful tie, pocket square and polished shoes. And of course Waldemar is freshly shaved and usually well scented with his tart cologne. Today, however, he is wearing a different perfume, a gift from his son.

A few weeks ago, his son came to visit once again. They then drink coffee together and eat his brought cake. Waldemar already rejoiced, because with the entrance of his offspring it suddenly smelled of fresh, juicy cherry pie finely spiced with cinnamon and vanilla. Unfortunately, there was only bland crumble cake, but the scent remained and became even thicker and warmer. His son explained that the sweet aromatic smell came from his perfume and promised to donate a bottle as "compensation". He kept his word and so it goes from now on appetizingly scented to the dance.

He likes to walk the ten minutes to the Kulturhaus and was especially pleased this time that with every step he took, a whiff of delicious, sweet cherry grits with vanilla croissants caressed his nose. On the door of the hall hangs a kitschy colorfully painted sign "Ü 60 Tanzveranstaltung" which made him smile. Waldemar is having fun, so are the ladies, and he is a much sought-after dance partner, as there is a huge surplus of women on the floor. Many women can only dance with each other, so he and the few gentlemen feel coveted like the proverbial cock of the walk! Nevertheless, he always has a queasy stomach and concentrates entirely on dancing. Waldemar, however, had already formed quite charming bonds with a single, nice lady in a chic swing dress, with whom he harmonized quite well.

The conscious lady smiled at him in a particularly friendly way at the dance today and he hoped that this was also due to his inviting scent, which by now no longer radiated so kuchig-cinnamony but rather masculine-darker after wood, vanilla and fresh tobacco. A sweet flatterer, however, he still was! So he took heart and invited "his lady" for a walk soon. Her reply, "if they smell as good again, very much so," softened his knees and sent tingling butterflies flying.

Mindful of the motivating compliment and the truly delicate smell, Waldemar first took a closer look at the perfume at home. Horses were depicted on it and Herod was its name. The heavy bottle pleased him well and he risked immediately again three sprays.

There it was again, this excellent, cherry sweetness, beautifully aromatic with cinnamon like a delicious cherry pie, plus a little peppery and carried by smoky fruit sweetness in addition. In the further course cuddly warm, at the same time also spicy and velvety smelling of wood, but above all sweetish-tart after flavoured pipe tobacco. The tobacco is quite moist-aromatic without a clear start and end point, but initially rather cherry and later vanilla flavoured. The whole room had soaked up this scent, even after hours the air was still sweet-woody, spicy-vanilla and smoky-tinged from the aromatic tobacco. The naturally appearing, dark-spicy vanilla is the guarantor for the seductive aroma and the longevity.

The common walk Waldemar now looks forward with impatience, because he is sure that this warm and flattering fragrance of the perfume also seems wonderfully suitable for cuddling!

For the accompanying ride on Herod's horses to you many thanks!
The false cherry
I'm going to catch some real hate with that comment, but anyway, I'm happy to do it.
Herod is a difficult contemporary.
I have around 5ml of the bottling through and can not imagine him as a permanent candidate.
I am extremely annoyed by this artificial cherry feeling. Do not misunderstand, freshly cooked black cherry I find great, just like the smell of fresh cherries. Artificial notes in tobaccos aren't a problem either. But this one reminds me directly of those disgusting cocktail cherries. That is especially in the first half hour - hour totally disturbing, especially since I like the rest of the composition super.
My partner said to Herod: "Bah, what stinks here so like the stuff (Car Scent can) you had in your car at the time!"
The can had to fly out of the car at the time, which was met with little enthusiasm from me at first.
With Herod, however, I am hit even more. Assuming times to have finally found something mass, (slightly) sweet-spicy for the colder days, it has to be this terrible cocktail cherry, of all things, which ruins it.
Too bad.

JMWeedJMWeed 20 days ago
Solid, rich scent that gives off a quality blended fragrance. The tobacco/incense blend in the heart isn’t my favorite, but appreciated.
AliTheGreatAliTheGreat 3 months ago
The smell of pipe tobacco when u light it and its smoking yet its still not burnt; Sweet, Gourmand, Inviting, Easy going, warm and pleasing!
RisingChaosRisingChaos 4 months ago
Tobacco-forward, hints of others notes. Prominent cinnamon is pleasant, vanilla in drydown. Doesn't stand out from similar frags.
Blako11Blako11 5 months ago
Very rich perfume, long-lasting but subtle but the projection and the scent sticks to my skin after 3 hours.
Ka3nKa3n 7 months ago
even though it is nice, it doesn't smell natural to me. Entire line has that synthetic undercurrent that I don't appreciate
RonniweRonniwe 8 months ago
Aroma realmente buenísimo, es como oler una hoja de tabaco empapada de azúcar, para mi mucho mejor que tabaco vanille.
Shafkat82Shafkat82 8 months ago
This beautiful Juice got reformulated ... so when you take this look for older batches.
EinsteinvEinsteinv 9 months ago
Lovely creamy tobacco. Performance not great on my skin.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 10 months ago
Sweet, spicy, dark scent. Very well blended tobacco with the cinnamon and the dry osmanthus. In the drydown, an alluring vanilla with wood.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 10 months ago
Another mega hyped fragrance. Sweet and floral tobacco. More vanilla and Osmanthus. It's decent but not n⁰1 Men's fragrance... 3/5

parfums de marly-herod: es hat ein weilchen gedauert bis die pure (sehn)sucht zu diesem duft entfacht wurde. ein paar anläufe bis zur alles verändernden drydownsituation warns - da wars dann aber auch explosivst um mich geschehen :) zündstoff indeed!
by Felsn
by WitDeBois
by Blackslash
by Blackslash

Popular Parfums de Marly

Layton by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Delina La Rosée by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Pegasus Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Greenley by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Kalan by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly