Herod by Parfums de Marly
Top 6 in Unisex Perfume
Herod is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is sweet-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase.
Scent goes well with Baccarat Rouge 540 (Eau de Parfum)

Top Notes Top NotesCinnamonCinnamon Pepperwood™Pepperwood™
Heart Notes Heart NotesOsmanthusOsmanthus TobaccoTobacco FrankincenseFrankincense CistusCistus
Base Notes Base NotesVanillaVanilla CedarwoodCedarwood VetiverVetiver PatchouliPatchouli CypriolCypriol MuskMusk

8.32089 Ratings

7.72088 Ratings

8.71997 Ratings

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 23.05.2022.

Emreeryilmaz
Consider a hot sauna. To increase the heat in the sauna, you pour menthol water on the fire and the resulting steam heats the woods of the sauna. The sauna smells like hot and menthol-flavored wood.

This scent initially resembles a hot sauna scent. Tobacco is slightly different and aromatic than the usual tobacco. I was surprised it didn't have cherries in it. It is reminiscent of the smell of boiled, tobacco and vanilla cherry jam.

I quite liken this fragrance to the "Bvlgari Man in Black" scent. Aromatic woody and vanilla sweetness. I wish it had as high a projection as "Costume National Homme Natural (2009)". Because it is a more luxurious and unique scent than Homme Natural scent, but the projection and sillage are very low and the scent disappears immediately. Its permanence is high, but you have to put your nose very close to where you spray the scent. :)

The scent stays on the fabric for up to 2 days but is not felt. It is prone to disappear in the first 2 hours on the skin. Sillage is very low.

Projection: 3/10
Longevity: 7/10
Sillage: 3/10
Fragrance Quality: 8/10

THE NIGHT OF HEROD'S ARREST
Finally, Herod was arrested under 145$ for 125ML from the official Amazon store, after several attempts, and continuous monitoring, I was tired a lot, but I find it worth it in order to return it again to my perfume collection

[1] - WHAT IS SPECIAL ABOUT HEROD ?

- The scent is so sexy and very attractive, for sure it’s (unisex), while the sillage is moderate I found the longevity is eternal (20 hours at least)

- In the opening the vanilla note first present, and when it develops towards the dray down, a very beautiful tobacco note come out with Osmanthus flower note, which gives a fruity character as close as possible to the smell of apricot fruit, which moves away to the background, then the vanilla and musk notes dominate, as the (ISO E Super) note supports the stability of the fragrance, which I believe this phenomenal note (ISO E Super) is used in all PDM perfumes, even if it’s not officially announced in the main accords, another thing that might be so crazy about the (Cypriol) note, which is also known to be used in nutritional supplements called (spirulina) I was concerned whether it was a naturally extracted note, that might make me find it difficulties to sleep, but none of that has happened to me so far.

- In my personal estimation, Herod perfume is very ideal for night out, festive and romantic occasions, or occasions where you want your presence to have a character that reflects a friendly personality, not suitable to wear in extremely hot and humid climates, or formal occasions for (men) and workplaces for (both genders)

[2] - WHO IS THE HALF-BROTHER OF HEROD?

- In the opening of Herod, I found it very close to (Spicebomb Extreme), unfortunately sometimes I often find accusations that PDM house is copying perfumes, but looking at the year of release date of Herod which is in 2012 while the year of release date of (Spicebomb Extreme) in 2015, so logically the accusation or suspicion of reproduction should be directed to the house of (Victor & Rolf)

- comparing the two fragrances in my current collection: I found that both fragrances have a very high attractiveness, standing side by side in the same category and classification, also I found both fragrances with the same strength sillage, but Herod excels strongly and deservedly in terms of lasting at least 20 hours in the worst case, and the sillage: moderate for about 6 hours, while the Spice Bomb Extreme perfume does not exceed its stability for more than 6 hours and sillage does not exceed 2 hours.

- I had the opportunity to test Herod by riding the electric scooter for over an hour in the slightly cooler open air, but after that I still felt Herod's sassy and frothy, unfavorable scent or effect from the weather or the outdoors.

[3] - THE OVERALL RATING OF HEROD AMONG PDM HOUSE:

1- (Carlisle) 2- (Layton) 3- (Habdan) 4- (Oajan) 5- (Herod) 6- (Pegasus) 7- (Pegasus Exclusive) 8- (Layton Exclusive) 9- (Percival) 10- (Greenley) 11- (Sedley) 12- (Galway) 13- (Darley) 14- (Godolphin) ... the list goes on

* This is my personal assessment according to my tastes and according to my experience and according to the versatility of PDM Parfums, which may differ from one person to another, and whether you agree or disagree with me on the issue of who comes first, but I am certain that you will not disagree with me about the quality and performance of the perfumes of this house, I am sure that among the perfumes of PDM hous, you will find something that suits your taste.

KING HEROD PDM, I SEE WHY EVERYONE LIKES IT
A superb tobacco fragrance, and it contains Frankincense.
My No.1 fragrance note of all times.
Quite sharp and spicy, maybe due to cinnamon and pepper.
Patchouli is big here also. They are all heavyweight notes.
My bottle was 2020 batch, did not project much. Longevity was decent only.
Ended up gifting it to a friend. He is head over heels with Herod.
I have too many niche perfumes anyway. PDM especially. Decided to let it go ...

The Ottomans And Their Love Of Horses
I received a sample of this niche perfume, and I must say that from the very first notes, Herod turns out to be an intriguing fragrance that is well suited to my tastes in terms of perfumes. A brief introduction before diving into the cologne. One of the most accomplished racehorses of 18th century Europe, Herod was a horse of uncommon achievement descended from a famous line of Turkish warhorses. To honour him, Parfums de Marly has created a genuinely spectacular fragrance. So, they named Herod after a prodigious horse and not after Herod the Great, the client king of Judea or Herodian Kingdom.

Tobacco fragrances are fantastic, in particular, if well blended and not sweetened a lot. Herod is a warm fragrance with hints of cinnamon, tobacco, and vanilla that envelop you and give you that warm spicy sensation. It opens with those two spices on display. An explosion with a waxy flavour, especially in the first few minutes, and earthy accords combined with a woody note in the background. The waxy softens and transforms almost as fast as it appears. The spiciness of the pepper is notorious: if I hold my nose too close to the skin, it pinches my nostrils as the tobacco wakes up. Then, after a few more minutes, the fragrance becomes drier and woody. A timid presence of hot and spiced cinnamon appears and lasts until mid-growth, sitting on a smoked vanilla base.

Slowly, the tobacco develops, is not very strong, and blends well with the other notes already present in the composition. The tobacco note here is superb, and the perfumer used a slightly different type of tobacco than the other fragrances. Here I don’t feel it too aromatic nor too fragrant. There is no scent of honey or cherry pipe tobacco, at least not at first. Instead, I perceive pure and dry tobacco, almost humid, used to produce Tuscan cigars. And this imposing tobacco plays and contrasts with the sweetest spices and notes. I distinguish a mild smoky church incense, almost powdery scent, with leathery labdanum and peach osmanthus, the latter adding a fruity touch and more delicate nuance. Despite the osmanthus flowers, the perfume never crosses the female territory. Still, the incense is never complicated. The mild smoking of the incense ensures that the spice is not like a punch in the face and simply adds a soothing texture to the aroma. It’s a fabulous combination, but I’m torn about how I feel about it. Just an aside, thinking of Herod as a dominant tobacco fragrance is misleading for me because tobacco is never the most pungent note. It mixes well with other notes and, in fact, loses its power as the fragrance runs out.

The fragrance loosens up, and the base pushes it further into the traditionally masculine area, especially when the cypriol takes the stage. Cypriol comes from a plant of the papyrus family and has a smell similar to dried and smoked parchment. It is an earthy, dirty, vegetal, and green smell and a cross between dry cedar, patchouli, and vetiver. It’s an important note that I don’t think is highlighted enough in fragrances. And it’s a real shame because I love particularly bizarre and unusual notes. Oddly enough, a friendly vibe of cherry tobacco mixed with creamy smoked vanilla appears. The smoked cigar turns into sugary pipe tobacco. Tobacco, labdanum and vanilla create a soft, slightly sweet trio that grows in strength as you use it. In the end, it enhances the woodsier and earthier aspects, and I get a bit of woody from the cedar and Iso-e Super, and a hint of earthiness from the vetiver, patchouli, and musk, perhaps the same earthy impression I got in the opening.

Herod is unisex with a masculine slant, and seasonally, it is a perfume suitable for cold weather. I wear it on the heavier days of fall and then the colder days of winter, and it fits perfectly, even on cool spring nights. It is not a scent that screams out for attention regarding the performance. If you’re looking for a powerhouse, this is not it. Projection stays around your arms, though it lasts several hours as a skin scent. It’s a type of fragrance that can fit well during the day at the office. It’s not stuffy or pushy, but it also has a level of sensuality that makes it suitable for a night out or date. Herod is very cosy and warm with just the right amount of sweetness which is fine, seeing as I prefer scent with a masculine slant.

I base the review on a decant I have owned since November 2021.

-Elysium
Overlord69
Pipe tobacco with cherry (2021)
The scent smells like a cherry pipe tobacco even though there is no cherry in it.

Many mention the Spicebomb extreme in the same course. Both scents share the tobacco and vanilla note. With Herod, however, the tobacco is more present, smoother, more awesome and also the vanilla smells more natural. Otherwise, I find the Herod overall much better due to the combo with the cinnamon and the other notes. In the Spicebomb the tobacco is also rather dry and in the Herod wet. Overall, the two vll. 20-30% similar.

The Herod is good 10-12 + hours perceptible whereby he develops 4 hours of it a really good sillage and then it goes back to 1-1.5 meters. (Batchcode with seven digits and a 1 at the beginning)

Flacon looks very classy is with Kalan my favorite from the house.

Together with the Dior Homme perfume and the Uomo Intense my winter favorite.
Who is that?!
"Who's that?!" my co-worker at work shouted. Suddenly she was running from person to person, sniffing everyone until she stopped at me. "Is that you?!", "Starting today, you'll only wear that scent to work", she said.

I've owned Herod for about two years now but have barely worn it, even though I love the scent so much. My first time around people triggered this reaction. The combinations of vanilla, tobacco and cinnamon really get me and Herod is just a front runner there. Recently, the longevity and sillage on Herod has been heavily criticized and rumors are going around that the scent has been reformulated. I don't know if it's my badge, but on me the perfume sticks all day and beyond. My Herod projects whole halls full, which is why I use it sparingly.

The noble brown of the bottle represents for me the brown and orange of autumn, the season in which I prefer to wear Herod and which is also my favorite season.
Beautiful fragrance but
Hello all together
My first review on parfumo so please criticize with kid gloves ?.
I bought the Herod about Notino (original) and find him really hammer. In my opinion, he smells in drydown very similar to the Spicebomb extreme I also like very much . My problem with the herod is the durability and sillage. After an hour he is only skin close perceptible. Really a pity for such a great fragrance. Vlt someone has a tip where I can get him with a good H / S because I've seen on YouTube that the new barches should be very good again.
Smnbkr
les histoires des parfums - chapitre 4 - Cinnamon tobacco dessert from the Rue Bonaparte
Do you know the Ladurée store on Rue Bonaparte at the corner of Rue Jacob in Paris? If not, put it on your "to-do list" for your next stay in Paris (if it's not yet booked or at least planned, I urge you to do so quickly :-) ). So I can't get past the theming of my boundless love for the ville lumière in this review, and, frankly, I don't want to. How I make the connection to 2012's "Herod" by Parfums de Marly? Listen carefully...!

Our protagonist had only been living in Paris for a few weeks at the time. He knew about niche fragrances fairly well, and had had a few visits to the Jovoy boutique at the Tuileries (also on the Paris list, s'il vous plaît), during which I'm sure he made everyone within a ten-metre radius forever allergic to perfume on the long metro ride home. So he decided to turn to the flagship stores of Parisian niche perfumeries, and chose the Parfums de Marly boutique as his first pick. The reason for this was once again Jeremy Fragrance, who (yes, really) was still a kind of god of the perfume world for our protagonist at the time. His constant, mantra-like repetition of the "Layton" scent from this house had achieved the YouTuber's desired effect, and drove the 19-year-old FSJ student on a cool late October day after work and the gym once again in downtown Paris. Dressed in a down jacket and Nike sweatpants, slightly sweaty and not really wealthy, he must have left a dubious impression on the vendor hyena next to the fragrance table; but he didn't really care. He was now eager to try out the much-hyped Marlys. On y va...

Started with the fragrances from the "Arabian-Breed" series. Flakontechnisch this is really Championsleague. Mercedes-Maybach. House in the Hamptons. Black and classy, they stand there in rows, waiting to be tested. Unfortunately, none of these luxury horses could stand up to the protagonist's nose, and so apart from "Oajan", which could be a nice room scent, nothing remained in the memory. It was a different story with the scents he had written down on his list. Layton, Pegasus, Godolphin and Herod convinced him so much in the boutique that he asked the sales hyena to give him bottlings of all four scents, which she did, surprisingly willingly by hyena standards. The journey home was made with satisfaction, not least because of the convincing performance in French, which was by no means a given at the beginning of the year in Paris.

"Herod" was not to take long to completely captivate the protagonist. It was the much-described "love at first sniff". Warm, soft, gourmand (he didn't know that term at the time, but smelled exactly what he would describe it as today), slightly sweet, subtle tobacco notes in the background. What a smell. "Oajan" without a room scent feel. Woody-tobacco Layton (which would also win him over, but more on that in another chapitre) with a gourmand feel. The cinnamon note reminded him, oddly enough, even if there were no similarities in smell or taste, of a macaron special edition from the aforementioned world-famous patisserie he had once been given. He had to have it, the first really expensive niche fragrance of his life. So one afternoon he bought it on the spur of the moment in the very boutique where he had first met and smelled it. Priced then beyond good and beyond anything he thought was adequate for a perfume at the time. I guess he'd never heard of Roja, Xerjoff, and Tiziana Terenzi. ?

He allowed him his first outlet on a dance night with the French girlfriend already mentioned in the review of "Grand Soir" and her then partner at the "Panic Room", a small bar with an integrated techno basement in the 11th arrondissement east of downtown. After two compliments (not counting those from his two fellow dancers) on the small dance floor, he knew he had made the right choice. He registered it only in bits and pieces now; it tended to be a quiet companion on his skin.

To end the beautiful evening of celebration, a few more cigarettes were consumed on a small grassy strip near the "Filles du Calvaire" metro station, ranting about God and the world, Paris, and the protagonist's French progress. He, however, did not smoke a cigarette. He had already had his nicotine-free dose of tobacco. And what a.....
Dennis79
Herod vs. Pure Havane - and the winner is...
In search of a tobacco scent, I came across this *Herod* through some reviews. Similarly, I own a bottling of Pure Havane by Mugler, which is also considered THE tobacco scent par excellence. But who is the BEST now - Herod or Pure Havane? Here you will find out:

Fragrance Pure Havane (8/10) vs. Herod (8,5/10):
In the opening, the Herod starts off heavier with a woody, peppery note that comes from the pepperwood. The cinnamon I personally perceive only subliminally. The tobacco I also smell only slightly through.
The Pure Havane, on the other hand, starts off fresher and with a mixture of honey and herbaceous, mildly sweet honey scent. My nose also perceives a kind of cardamom ie spicy eucalyptus (but is not listed) and it smells a little like cherry (not listed).

After about 30-60 minutes, the Herod evolves and becomes much smoother and lighter - the scent is now fruity-floral for me. The Pure Havane, on the other hand, is also smoother, but remains linarer in the scent progression i.e. this is still herbaceous sweet tobacco-heavy.

In the drydown, the Herod shows its chivalrous strengths and the vanilla comes through very well. My nose picks up a cool blend of smooth tobacco and slightly sweet vanilla notes here.
The Cuban, on the other hand, remains very linear and stays true to itself towards the end.

Both have great tobacco notes, are in the opening a little getting used to (Herod a little bitter-heavy) and Havane (very Krauftig, strong), but they both play out your strengths in the drydown, whereby me here the Herod comes across more complex and has a nicer scent progression with the vanilla at the end. Fragrance winner is here for me the chivalrous Herod!

SILLAGE Pure Havane (8/10) vs. Herod (7/10):
Tested side by side, the Cuban has a slight edge especially in the opening, though the Herod also projects well. Not too much of either should be applied.

HALTBARKEIT Pure Havane (9/10) vs. Herod (9/10):
On my skin long hold both well perceptible so about 8 hrs.

VERSATILITY Pure Havane (5/10) vs. Herod (6,5/10)
Both fragrances I recommend because of the projection and durability rather in winter or cold autumn.
The Herod I would even wear in the office, as it is smoother and more defused by the vanilla than the spicy Cuban.

MY RECOMMENDATION:
So which is the best tobacco scent? If it's about the tobacco coming across most prominently and you want to feel like you're rolling a cigar right now - go with the Pure Havane. Anyone else looking for a more complex, pleasing scent that also includes tobacco - I'd rather advise the Herod. Despite the large price difference of Pure Havane (80 € / 100ml) to (200 € / 100ml) I personally can not establish a large difference in quality.

What do you think - what is the best tobacco fragrance for you?

P.S: Who is looking for the best price / performance tobacco fragrance - which can look at this review:
Moritz2020
Get out the blankies, it's getting cozy!
Here we have it in my opinion with a wonderfully seductive fragrance for the cold days to do. Herod is a dreamy tobacco cherry combination. Many also think to smell cinnamon, for me it is clearly cherry. As strong as the sweet cherry slayed me at first, it is gone just as quickly. Their sweetness, however, remains and gives the tobacco, which becomes more dominant with time, a great twist.
The performance was probably stronger earlier I have been told. Nevertheless, this fragrance may not be missing for me in the winter time.
The most positive feedback I got from women. Therefore, the fragrance is ideal for cozy togetherness. Both outside, as well as on the sofa. Herod is super portable and balances on the bridge of balance. Neither too strong, nor too weak. Just right for me!

PedroCabralPedroCabral 1 month ago
It starts with a sweet aroma and a soft and smooth tobacco accord. As the hours pass, you can feel the resins, cinnamon, myrrh, vanilla.
EmreeryilmazEmreeryilmaz 1 month ago
This scent initially smells like menthol heated sauna boards in a hot sauna. The scent takes on a tint reminiscent of melted sugar, caramel
JackofSpadesJackofSpades 4 months ago
A fragrant blend of cinnamon,sweety fruity osmanthus,vanilla and tobacco.Reminds me a rich pipe tobacco mixture, that I used to smoke.Great.
TaoEuringerTaoEuringer 4 months ago
An unfaltering, almost tangible, presence of full-bodied cinnamon and smooth tobacco leaf
TuxedoManTuxedoMan 5 months ago
Amazing addictive tobacco leaf and vanilla combo with spices and woods! Scent wise is probably my favourite from Parfums de Marly.
Connoisseur6Connoisseur6 5 months ago
I'd say over the 30 bottles and decants I've got, Herod is the best fragrance I own.
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 6 months ago
damn what a masterpiece, ambery sweet and spicy tobacco not that much different to spice bomb extreme but more mature
Simo975gSimo975g 6 months ago
Comforting cherry pipe tobacco and vanilla with a sprinkle of cinnamon. But what truly brings it to the next level is the fruity osmanthus!
ElysiumElysium 6 months ago
An amazing mixture of tobacco leaves, with spices and woods all immersed in an incense bath. Character and strength are its weapons. Chapeau
JMWeedJMWeed 8 months ago
Solid, rich scent that gives off a quality blended fragrance. The tobacco/incense blend in the heart isn’t my favorite, but appreciated.

parfums de marly-herod: es hat ein weilchen gedauert bis die pure (sehn)sucht zu diesem duft entfacht wurde. ein paar anläufe bis zur alles verändernden drydownsituation warns - da wars dann aber auch explosivst um mich geschehen :) zündstoff indeed!
by Felsn
by Godvilla
by Clarkpennt
by Clarkpennt

Popular by Parfums de Marly

Layton by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Delina La Rosée by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Pegasus Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Greenley by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly Kalan by Parfums de Marly