Herod by Parfums de Marly

Top 1 in Men's Perfume
Herod is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for men and was released in 2012. The scent is sweet-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCinnamon, Pepperwood™
Heart Notes Heart NotesOsmanthus, Tobacco leaf, Frankincense, Cistus
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Cedarwood, Vetiver, Patchouli, Cypriol, Musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 27.05.2020.

LilJ
If it wasn't for Carlisle..
First of all: I tested Herod directly one day after Carlisle, which left a very lasting impression on me (performance monster, great smell etc.). The bar for Herod was accordingly high. I described Carlisle as a combination of vanilla croissant and apple strudel. Herod also seems to come fresh from the Christmas bakery to me. In fact I would even claim that both scents smell very similar (especially the vanilla base). While Carlisle still courted my attention with an apple/tonka bean combination, Herod tried to seduce me with a cherry/tobacco/cinnamon combination.

I find both fragrances really very attractive and pleasantly sweet. Nothing for the office but definitely something for the cooler days. As with Carlisle, I couldn't keep my nose off my wrist for long (attention addiction potential) :).

Overall, I can understand the positive evaluations for Herod. However, it is one thing to test directly before Herod Carlisle. Herod is a really great fragrance - but in my opinion it is somewhat overshadowed by Carlisle, who was able to convince a bit more with his stronger sillage and presence.

Sir Herod is very sophisticated
Wow a beautiful tobacco scent Probably the best.
It smells so expensive and luxurious.
It's not pushy, but it's present.

I have this picture in mind:
One sits in a noble adjoining room on an extravagant leather armchair (no smell, simply for aesthetics) flanked by two large wooden bookcases (also purely for aesthetics). Anyway, next to the armchair there is a small coffee table on which the following can be found:
A cup of spicy cinnamon-vanilla tea, whose scent combines in the air with that of the tobacco that escapes from this finely decorated metal tin. This tobacco does not stink at all!
It matches the ambience and smells excellent, attractive and seductive.

What else is written on the little table next to me?
A jar of incense. Hmmm the scent reminds of large churches, towering columns, marble floors and... Silence!
Exactly what I feel with this scent.
Because I like him so much, I ignore the label "for gentlemen", although I can understand it.

There are fragrances that will blow your mind, that are desperate to be the centre of attention. They take over the room, no matter what. Herod doesn't need that. He's aware of its effects. He doesn't seem artificial or arrogant. He doesn't need to polarise to be worshipped as a fragrance.

Cinnamon Tobacco Vanilla Heaven
I smoke cigarettes so I have been on a hunt for the perfect scents that match my bad habit. My go to previously used to be Chanel Egoiste and Versace Dreamer- I still love these fragrance but it is still outdated, and I wanted something that is more wearable/more mass appealing than Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille or T Mugler Pure Havane.

It is strange that I would blind buy a $30-80 designer fragrance that easily add up to $2-300 while I get very cautious with perfume prices in the $2-300 range. Part of it I think is that I love my cheaper fragrances equally. I had received a sample of Herod from LuckyScents for about 10 months now. They were the 1mL sample without an atomizer. But when I smell Herod I was immediately captivated by the cinnamon and sweet tobacco that floats around the vanilla in a sophisticated manner. I couldn't get enough and sniffed the non-atomizer forever. After researching many opinions and exploring other Tobacco scents, I finally took the plunge and bought the bottle. Flacon is very pretty with I am glad I did, as the atomizer and its powerful spray of the juice allowed truly enjoy PDM's fantastic quality and blending. I cannot stress quality enough, as each notes like cinnamon, tobacco and vanilla pops out despite it being blend so well in harmony, simply masterful blending. I think it is the interplay between Frankincense in the heart and patchouli and cedar wood in the base that surround the trio of cinnamon, tobacco and vanilla to stand out. I do not find any irritating notes nor synthetic vibe, and it just smells so great on my skin. Durability is also fantastic on my skin as well. I've read reviews of 6-8 hours but one spray was an easy 12 hours. Projection and sillage is good but not overwhelming.

Conclusion: Herod is worth the price. I hate to admit it, but it's just good. Having gone through so many tobacco scents, I cannot help but admire where he stands. Herod is just in a completely different league from both tobacco scent and general perfume perspective. It will become my fall/winter signature scent.

absolutely gorgeous
I’m wearing Herod for the first time after a blind buy, expectations were high considering the hype and what can I say... they weren’t kidding, this stuff is amazing!

I get tobacco right from the start, some nice deep tobacco and some creamy vanilla very well balanced. After a while the cinnamon grows stronger and the fragrance becoms sweeter. Very nice amd classy!

I see many complaints about performance and I don’t blame you, I stopped getting whiffs after the 2 hour mark however, 6 hours later my gf tells me she can still smell it and it still going strong, but it’s sitting a bit closer to the skin so I guess it may fade into the 7th hour.
Considering PdM’s track record I’d expect something into the 9 hours realm but 7 is not a bad performance, just average.

I’ll update after a couple of wears if notice any changes in performance but I’m so glad I got Herod at the price I did, it was a great deal
AbuAx
It's okay, but it doesn't do it justice.
Since the rating update on Parfumo, Herod is now at the top. Also from the good Demi Rawling the fragrance is praised as one of the best PdM's. But I can't really get much out of this fragrance. It just smells like tobacco/cherry. Nothing more. A beautiful, sexy, masculine scent. I wouldn't know when to wear it, though. To attract attention other perfumes have priority, including the better horse in the stable "Pegasus". I would wear it at the cigar club, at the most. I wear it rather rarely or hardly at all and also rather unwillingly. But I wouldn't call it a misdiagnosis. It's just somewhere in between. But apparently it just doesn't seem to suit my taste. But to each his own ^^
Herod the Killer
As you can already see from my profile name I just love this fragrance and can't live without it.

I perceive it as "The One from D&G" among the niche fragrances.
Not that he smells the same, but he gives the same vibe... masculine... sexy... casual... .
Every sprayer hurts in the soul. Which is why I almost only have pain, because this fragrance only really works when you use the sprayer more times. After 3-4 hours close to my skin... Sillage first 1,5 hours well then ciao. Couldn't even notice it properly at first because I had tested Oajan and Layton. They are clearly better in performance than this one. But this scent smells better than both of them in my opinion
To the fragrance:
i'm not a pro when it comes to this, but I can smell the tobacco clearly out of it, plus the vanilla note and cinnamon there's also kind of a cherry syrupy thing going on.
sweet-spicy 70%
gourmand 30% ---> smells a little like a very expensive, elaborately produced pastry from France
in my opinion, the best of the Marlys.
Notyetbatman
Pepper and a whole lot of it
Not my cup of tea at all, as this peppery scent overshadows everything else But the durability is positive in any case, unfortunately I found the Sillage disappointing as the scent seems to be more body oriented.
Vortac
A Christmas scent like it is in the book, but like Carlisle also not wearable for me
At first, Herod reminded me very much of Carlisle, whom I had tested about a week before. After a few minutes on the skin, however, the two can be easily distinguished. Like Carlisle, Herod reminds me of cherry sprinkles, but not as sweet and present. This makes him a little more pleasant for me overall, although I didn't find Carlisle unpleasant in principle. It's probably simply because Herod smells more discreet, is not as loud and does not trigger as much in my head as Carlisle, who is very complex.

Besides the aforementioned cherry crumble, I can definitely smell cinnamon and vanilla, plus some clove and a pleasant smoky, at times almost musty and slightly pungent smell, which creates a good counterbalance to the sweetness and, in combination with cinnamon, is strongly reminiscent of Christmas. If you like smoking men and sweet smells you will surely like Herod. However, even with Herod I do not know exactly when I should wear it. Maybe at Christmas, although Carlisle would probably be my choice, not in everyday life, and certainly not in the office, maybe in winter, but there's a lot of competition, and in summer he would be completely out of place.

Basically, I find it definitely unisex, while Carlisle has a powdery and floral note (I looked it up, there's actually rose in it), which I think makes it a bit more feminine. Herod is beautiful, but still not acceptable to me. He's just too special for that and doesn't knock me out that much. I can even imagine that some people find him unpleasant. In the end he remains very similar to Carlisle and he loses this comparison with me

A Masterpiece from PDM
Notes: Cinnamon, Pepperwood, Osmanthus, Tobacco Leaf, Labdanum, Incense, Vanilla, Cedar, Vetiver, Patchouli, Cypriol and Musk

Herod is just a gorgeous and beautiful fragrance. My favorite from the house and one of the best Tobacco based fragrance. A well balanced combination of Tobacco and Vanilla make this a perfect choice. Sophisticated, Elegant, Classy and just downright sexy.

Emorandeira
Weaker and spicier tobacco vanille
I had Big expectations about this fragance so i have put It in my yuniqu list and i have recived this month one decant. The results? I felt a bit dissapointed... And not because It is a bad fragance, dont get me wrong... It is just because fue to the high hype that this perfume has here and on other forums i expected something a bit better and different.
Regarding the smell It is nice but very similar to other recent proposals even un the designers oerfumery. In one hand It shares some vibe with tobacco vanille bu Tom Ford but weaker and with los density. The fragance plays Also around the combo tobacco-vanilla but i think that Tom Ford plays this notes better. In the other hand this scent has a very spicy vibe which makes me think of the edp versión of spicebomb by viktor&rolf. And It is true that the quality here is better, but both perfumes, overall during the dry down, are very similar so i dont think that It really worths to pay what the perfumes de Marly costs while you can get spicebomb for less than half price.
The first i get here is a sweet tobacco mixed with spices (overall a very present cinnamon). The opening is therefore the most similar part to tobacco vanille but the dry down becames a little bit greener and balsámic and a bit more masculine.
As for the performance i was a bit dissapointed too. As It is a sweet perfume with heavy notes (tobacco, vanilla, incense...) I expected that It would have a very high sillage...but this is not like this! The longevity is only moderate (6-8 hours máximum on my skin) while other fragances like TV behave much better (aroun 12 hours on me). And the projection i is more or less the same than the one that spicebomb has.
I ser this perfume very versatile. The only thing is that i wouldnt use It under too high temperaturas and that i think It could fit better men than women.
To sum Up i was expecting a different, original, dense and special perfume and i have found some kind of designers one. If It was marketed by Carolina herrera or Paco rabanne and It would cost 100€ instead of 200€ i would think thta It would really worths to buy It but for the price It has i think i wont do It...

Scent: 8
Longevity: 7
Sillage: 6
Quality/price: 4
Originality: 5
Versatility: 8
Global: 7.5

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 13 days ago
Awesome scent! Refined, with huge performance...
LolusLolus 46 days ago
It´s something like the famous Tobacco Vanilla but better and cheaper :)
BumpyumaBumpyuma 78 days ago
I question the performance - but once I spread on hat and clothes and it was still there days later..
KimJongKimJong 107 days ago
Herod is what my wife wears. I feel this is lovely and cute enough.
GypsyJohnGypsyJohn 125 days ago
PdM Herod IS totally worth MSRP. With this no A Narguile, T. Vanille or Spicebomb X required. Clearing all hurdles, Herod wins by a furlong!
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 153 days ago
Tobacco, vanilla, cinnamon and spices and Green and masculine drydown. A mix tween tobacco vanille and spicebomb. Very moderate performance.
GaussianblurGaussianblur 180 days ago
Awesome tobacco. Strong hint of pepper on start, after that it becomes sweet, thanks to cinnamon and vanilla.
Longevity above average!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 17 months ago
A fresh cinnamon opening, a dominant sweet tobacco development that later shows a vanilla/wood/musk blending for the drydown. A masterpiece!
GwdbeGwdbe 5 years ago
The best tobacco perfume
HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Very fine, gentle and reserved tobacco and delicious vanilla scent. Some notes remind of sweet cherry! Nice!

parfums de marly-herod: es hat ein weilchen gedauert bis die pure (sehn)sucht zu diesem duft entfacht wurde. ein paar anläufe bis zur alles verändernden drydownsituation warns - da wars dann aber auch explosivst um mich geschehen :) zündstoff indeed!
by Felsn
by FernandoBR
by WitDeBois
by WitDeBois

Popular Parfums de Marly

Layton by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Kalan by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Shagya by Parfums de Marly Byerley by Parfums de Marly Galloway by Parfums de Marly