Kalan by Parfums de Marly

Kalan is a new perfume by Parfums de Marly for men and was released in 2019. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBlood orange, Black pepper, Spices
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavender, Orange blossom absolute, Solar note
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Moss, Precious woods, Amber, Roasted tonka bean

Submitted by MuffinXS, last update on 05.06.2020.

Razvanyke
Please make it go away - please
I was attracted by the nice bottle design and the prestige of PdM to go and try this perfume in a store, which I did. I sprayed once on my wrist and once on a tester .. initially seems ok but after few minutes it becomes the worst smell I have experienced in my life. Up to this date, I do not remember this need and impulse to go home and peel my skin or do something to make it go away.

I guess when people say this perfume is polarizing, they speak about people like me which almost puke after smelling it and people who love it (very weird, tho).

Kalan gets mentioned a lot on Youtube as being in top 5 and so on, I know people are different and it is different on each skin but for me this perfume made me google "how to remove perfume from skin" and used the oil + soap method twice, but I still feel it so probably it is in my nose and the longevity is great.

I also tested Baccarat Rouge on another strip and I can see the similarity, however I did not sprayed it on skin to see if it develops as bad as Kalan.

Totally no blind buy !! And if you are really curious about it, better go in a shop and test rather than paying for a sample which you would regret after.
A very masculine fragrance
I have ordered and tested a 5ml bottle through Parfumo. When I smelled Parfums de Marly for the first time, I was very surprised. Directly after spraying on (top note) I could perceive the blood orange very strong and detailed. It smelled anything but synthetic or artificial, but very natural. The only flaw I could notice was the very strong lavender (must like!!!) in the heart note. What I find extremely good is the slightly sweet component of the perfume. I'm a huge fan of the tonka bean in general, but in my opinion only few manufacturers manage to find the right proportion of this aroma for a perfume (often much too sweet, often not noticeable at all). This slightly sweetish touch in the base note definitely doesn't harm the masculinity of the fragrance. All in all, I think it's a successful fragrance from Parfums de Marly, which you should definitely try ;) LG
SchnüFFleRR
The better 540 Baccarat Rouge?!
I've read a lot about this fragrance. Many people were disappointed who had imagined a "red super fragrance". I therefore approached an extensive test with very low expectations.

The fragrance starts with a voluminous, slightly floral cotton candy accord that gently envelops the skin.
Almost like this scent experience when you stood with your grandpa in front of the cotton candy machine at the fair.
I think the word "fragrance experience" hits the nail on the head here, as Kalan catapulted me back to a time in my childhood.

It cannot be denied, however, that the fragrance bears some similarities to the well-known Baccarat Rouge 540. But how do these two differ? For my part, I have never been able to celebrate Baccarat Rouge like most of the community here. I always liked the "cotton candy note" but this sterile "rubber glove note" was never my thing. Just too eccentric for my taste. (Still not a bad smell of course!)
But that is also very subjective. Unique and innovative was the 540 for the scene in any case.

Kalan takes out all the things I didn't like about the Baccarat Rouge and highlights the ingredients that I already enjoyed in the 540.
I also find Kalan much more suitable for everyday use and gentler than the above-mentioned fragrance. Moreover, the drydown is much more harmonious and much less restless than initially assumed.
The shelf life is good for me is 5-7 hours.

However, the red stallion deserves more than a 7.3 in any case, since the 540 relationship scores much better at 8.0 and the scents Handwerklich do not diverge that much. I think the bad rating is also due to the expectations of the horse fans, every PDM scent must be a new Layton or Herod.

PDM hasn't reinvented the wheel with this fragrance, nor has it created a fragrance giant, but I don't mind that either. The fragrance is very pleasantly harmonious and is based on Baccarat Rouge 540. However, more as a homage than as a clone attempt.
Chizza
If it wasn't for the lavender...
What an interesting fragrance creation from PdM awaits us here! After reading the comments here thoroughly, I ordered a bottling. So far PdM could only convince me with Godolphin, because I am not a fan of sweet sugar perfumes. Of course I don't want to offend anybody because everybody should use what he or she likes.
When I first used this perfume, it was relatively clear to me that it would remain a horse perfume for the time being, I was even horrified at first. For me it smelled like a spicy room spray, which is certainly due to the lavender scent. And it's the same one, which still takes me out of the game after several tests. But my attitude towards Kalan, it has changed positively. Because Kalan in its blend is simply something different, for me personally a fruity, flowery and at the same time pale Journey Man. Where with the latter I have to be afraid to end up on the plate because everyone might think I'm a well-seasoned dish at the beginning (I exaggerate a bit), this one is more harmonious, less explosive
But let's start from the beginning: first of all, many ingredients can be identified. The peppered and spiced orange is there, which I actually find extremely pleasant. From my point of view, regrettably, lavender immediately follows. You have to like that. For me it doesn't fit at all, which is why without this lavender Kalan would be a candidate for me, unfortunately not at all. The other notes like sandalwood round off the perfume, I have to admit, the pepper becomes very pleasant to wear. Moss can also be guessed, because the fragrance is slightly cooled down, just that may keep the pepper in check. Again, compare Journey Man: here he is maneuvered through the arena with a whip swing, there is no escape. I think it is clear what I want to express.

Kalan, on the other hand, has a flowery, peppery scent. Anyone who appreciates lavender and who favours mild spices will probably find this the right place. The esteemed previous speaker Schoork said that this fragrance is probably more for older wearers, at least not the U30 guard. I can only agree with that, because this fragrance radiates level-headedness and kindness, really great. It just doesn't fit to Sturm und Drang, if I may generalize.

So chapeau in the direction of PdM for Kalan and next time please something without lavender ;)
Kalan the surprise
Since this is my first comment, I will go a little further.
I have always been more involved with fragrances than the "Otto normal consumer", but I am not one who smells the perfume and can smell all kinds of scents. That for now.
In times of corona and boredom I have again become more involved with fragrances. A few Youtube videos here and there and I was already an expert.
My interest in Creed Aventus and the house perfumes of Marly was awakened. Since I never buy fragrances blind I got a bottling of Aventus and the Discovery Collection of PdM.
In the PDM are then Pegasus, Layton, Herod, Galloway, Percival and Carlisle. I thought so: Perfect. The noses of others had already smelled to me that I didn't even need to try Kalan. If he was praised once, the praise was bought anyway.
The box arrived and I was happy as a clam. Then when I opened it, there was actually a 1.5 ml Kalan sample. Well, you don't give up, I thought.
After I'd tasted them all.
Short first impression on my part.
Layton: horny
Herod: Weihachten and totally horny
Percival: fresh and probably always works
Pegasus: difficult - a little too sweet for me
Galloway: yeah, I don't know
Carlisle: I don't know what to think of it but it lasts forever and everybody judges you
And then I had pity to try Kalan (I had too much time anyway).
I sniffed at my wrist and my first thought was - that's a pretty good one.
After I had thrown all my prejudices about burnt milk and plastic overboard, the scent reminded me of a nice walk in the woods (yes, real woods, not a park). I immediately felt connected to it. My untrained nose also thought I smelled the mentioned moss and wood in the base note.
I find the fragrance a welcome change from the other PDM fragrances. It simply wasn't sweet and delicious but simply ... different. I don't know how to describe it better. I also see the reason for the slightly lower ratings here. Kalan is just different like his brothers. The durability of Kalan is definitely equal to the other scents of the house, although not as strong as Carlisle's. Sillage is also good.
Then I ordered the 125ml Flakom directly. The flacon and the heavy lid are of course quite something.

Conclusion:
Kalan it is definitely worth trying once. If you want a change from the candyshop and love nature you should try it. According to my nose I only find Layton equal to Kalan. (According to my nose - please do not throw stones). Layton will remain the better "crowd pleaser", but Kalan is simply unique and fucking awesome!
But a typical PdM
I was a little worried both after the fragrance description and the comments that my blind purchase would disappoint me, but it did not. I find the fragrance to be quite Marly-typical, quite sweet, quite "cuddly", even if not as much as Herod, but which then has the already described advantage that it is less season-dependent. I don't find anything citric about the scent, no idea what's wrong with blood orange, what makes it un-citric, the pepper is in my opinion not pungent, which is the problem with Creed Viking's top note, which is just quite exhausting (yes, of course, the scent is completely different, but the comparison of the reviewer is still good). The "burnt milk" is perhaps the slight hint of caramelized sugar in the top note, which may be the same as the "roasted tonka".
I also consider the fragrance to be linear, there are no big surprises in the course, I also consider it almost always wearable and distinctive, although I do not know the MFK fragrance, which is indicated as similar.
The Falcon colour is great, by the way.
SOULmate
This is the horse I want to ride
At the beginning. I am convinced of this composition. I did not fall in love with the scent right away but after 20 minutes of the first test. Especially the dusty-citric sweetness during the drydown was very appealing to me.

I respect all opinions. This is still an open forum where everyone is allowed to express their opinion. All legitimate. What makes me grim, however, are these dive-like users here, who call a fragrance no go just because they don't like it. This does not necessarily refer to Kalan but in general. It's absolutely ok to say I don't like the scent, I don't smell strong or whatever. But to describe a fragrance as ugly or out of place is just unfair. You put in the work and people have event. Shed blood of the heart. So think a little about your choice of words and remember that sometimes there are people with feelings behind them. There's criticism and there's insults. Let's criticize hard but never become abusive!

So now to Kalan. I got the big bottle yesterday. I find it very suitable for everyday use and I intend to use it for all the all-rounders. I think it goes almost anywhere. The top note frightened me a bit the first time but this fragrance really makes an interesting progression. As I mentioned before, I think the dryown here is great. I even wore it yesterday during training and when you sweat it smells very tasty and even sweeter but not this heavy sweetness but balanced sweet. My nose can also smell the lavender and the citric of the orange. The woods and the roasted tonka bean are probably responsible for this great drydown. Lovely. I also find it very unique and it fits me perfectly, because I am that too :-)

Because I don't want to carry this monster bottle everywhere with me I bought a travel sprayer. I am looking forward to this little fragrance experience in everyday life :) Thumbs up Parfum de Marly
It's all about expectations
Lavender, orange blossom, sandalwood, moss?! That's gotta be something for me!
Kalan does not do badly on average here. For a PdM, however, not very good either.

If you read the comments here, you can see that the loyal PdM holder has his problems with Kalan. I know some of the PdM scents from past taster tests and have never been to one of the scents I have tested, which have been highly satisfying for many users. I do not get along very well with fragrances that are gourmand sweet and rather vanilla-heavy. An exception for me is the Acqua e Zucchero from Profumum Roma. Whatever. When it comes to gourmands, I always found many other houses more interesting than the PdM house. My personal impression. Bad smells are therefore not the PdMs.

Despite everything, I am not deterred by past experiences and am open to new fragrances, even from houses I could not be happy with in the past. I also didn't let some comments deter me from testing Kalan, as I had previously let burnt milk and plastic smell.

What can I say? I'm so glad I didn't get scared off and have a bottling sent to me. Sprayed on, I was immediately enthusiastic, because it was a completely different PdM than I was used to from the past. Not a sticky gourmand. None, in meanwhile so many scents occurring vanilla. Kalan opens with blood orange scent, which is really very good to smell out. It starts out altogether orange, floral, spicy, green. In the course of the fragrance, the orange light sweetness decreases a little, but never disappears completely. The overall impression is orange-fruity, somewhat flowery and spicy green. I suppose it is the spicy green that the one or the other, especially PdM lovers can't stand here, it is very different to Herod, Oajan & Co. and in the long run the more dominant impression of the Kalan.

To me, Kalan is a year-round scent. Due to its orangey and somewhat sweetish flowery scent it has something sparkling and refreshing in winter and in the warm season, I imagine that its green spiciness brings a little pep "per" on a warm summer evening and therefore does not come across too sticky. I can imagine him very well on a party night at a beach club.

I've been here on this platform for many years now, haven't really been active here for a long time and haven't done any trial tests for a long time. All the more I am now happy that I had an absolute WOW experience with Kalan for a long, long time. I don't know when the last time I was so enthusiastic about a fragrance was right away. As a result, I directly ordered a 125 ml bottle.

The reason why the fragrance does not go down so well here is for me the expectations. Many PdM fans will have expected something similar to what they are used to from PdM. Sweet, gourmand, oriental, vanilla. For me, it was always the sweet gourmands who couldn't knock me off. That's why I am now all the more pleased to have discovered a new darling for me.

If you don't like Baccarat Rouge, please, please don't be deterred to try the beautiful Kalan. I'm not so good with the Baccarat Rouge and I'm even happier with Kalan
A small note in the margin. I also ordered the Pegasus from PdM as a bottling. I also like this one, but I can only imagine it in the autumn/winter time, because I find it much denser and powdery. On a day with a headache, I wouldn't want to wear Pegasus either. Nevertheless a nice and extremely uniqe fragrance, which will probably make it into my collection by autumn 2020.

So I seem to become a little PdM fan after all! :)
Caramelised milk/ lightly burnt
I brought several testers from Parfums de Marley Kalan definitely smells like no other perfume I know. Very self-contained.
For me it smells like caramelised/ burnt milk. A bright/ hollow fragrance. Not really fresh, but slightly green tones come through. The smell causes me headaches, it smells very synthetic

For me, the smell is nothing. Baccarat rouge I like, for me there are zero similarities between the two.

Farewell
Time flies, man. It almost seems as if last week was 2019.
Crazy, or?
I also think it's crazy that they have finally decided to stop the most dangerous thing on New Year's Eve, when injuries, burns and broken fingers have occurred again and again and for which they have spent money pointlessly and have been frightened again and again. Lead pouring is prohibited!

Sometimes you just have to say goodbye and make a new start.
My story about Kalan begins with a farewell.
In September 2018 I was in Kadewe in Berlin for the first time for the purpose of scenting. The second time about 5 months later, then still in summer and last month the last time. Right from the start, one of the nicest people was the lady at Parfums de Marly. She recognized me and Mrs. Schoork even directly at the 2nd visit after 5 months. She always provided us with plenty of samples, which not everyone there does, and we chatted, talked shop and talked shop. That was a highlight every time, because not everyone is nice. She was pretty, too, but I can't say that so loud, otherwise you'll be back home on the twelve!
Anyway, she is responsible for the fact that I have so many samples of PdM and therefore not quite innocent of some of the comments I wrote about their scents.

Anyway, I was heading straight for the Kalan last month when I approached PdM, because I didn't know it at all until then. With a "Hey how are you" we were greeted by the lady in question and after a little chat I got my scent strip with Kalan. She already said in advance that he was different and I was immediately enthusiastic at the first sniff It reminded me directly of BR540, which was even more reinforced when I turned around and saw the MFK booth while concentrating on the sniffing But that was also a warning to myself at the same time, the BR540 triggered a trip with me, which I have not forgotten until now.
Well then she gave me a sample in her hand and said that this is the last time we will see each other. She would go back to her old job and also leave Berlin for it.
I admit my first thought was "och nöööö", but you shouldn't always think only about yourself. We wished her all the best and then moved on.
I don't know your name and I don't know where you ended up, but if you should ever read this... Thanks again and all the best in your new life.

One day later I wore Kalan for the first time correctly.
My positive impression remained and I wrote a first statement here on Parfumo. The bonds to Baccarat Rouge are still there, but where the MFK becomes more palatable, the Kalan remains relatively consistently spicy and I think that the Kalan also contains a little saffron, which is also a feature of the BR540.
Kalan, on the other hand, is always lighter, a little more fruity and also quickly linear.
You can still perceive a bit of wood, but not really something like roasted tonka bean. He is also truly not as sweet as some from the same house named Herod, Oajan or Layton.

But I wanted to see how he was doing the second time and I put this test on the second goodbye I had to say to the family I spent the holidays with and I went home yesterday. 550km across the republic, through 3 federal states by car. Kalan had about 5h time to convince me finally. So did he. A pee break at a rest stop also gave him the opportunity to show how he does in the fresh air, he was present in the car anyway.

Now he had earned his comment, because I still like him very much. He holds good 8h, his Sillage is Marlytypical very neat and also my lady likes him very much. This is interesting because she also had challenges with the BR540.
But before you misinterpret this, he is not a twin, but has bonds of the MFK. You have to like spicy and peppery scents, otherwise it will probably be nothing. He's a little sweet, but not as sweet as sugar. But light and less liqueur. Masculiner than the MFK.
Personally, I believe that this is exactly the criterion why he does not come off well with some. The typical Marly carrier is rather between 18-35 years old. If you take Layton(+Exclusif), Herod, Oajan, Pegasus and also Carlisle, you have quite sweet fragrances that last a long time and are certainly also preferred in clubs.*

Kalan is more mature and may appeal to older people like me. It is less pleasing due to its spiciness, and can therefore be seen more often in the office than in the club. More serious, you could say So I can understand if it is torn apart by mostly young wearers who expect some sugar when a new release from Parfums de Marly is released.
Testing is absolutely necessary here, because you have to match the scent. PdM despisers will not be converted by this, or maybe only partly, and fans of PdM will stick to their usual favourites after all.

A fragrance that is always wearable until midsummer, which is also not to be scoffed at. For me personally, these are the best scents when I don't have to wait months for the weather to suit me.

I said goodbye to some dear people, but I welcome Kalan.

*All information without guarantee

GolcherGolcher 44 days ago
this is so NOT what I expected. I see the charts and there's supposed to be sweetness, I don't get any of that
MeursaultMeursault 158 days ago
5.5
A chemical mess. Bitter-sweet, herbal, spicy with a weird latex smell. It's a no from me.
ItchynoseItchynose 164 days ago
5.5
Dry blood orange opening followed by a bitter & medicinal combo of orange blossom, lavender and moss. Masculine retro Geo. F. Trumper vibe.
LexaLexa 9 months ago
Very spicy,lots of cumin,lavender,woodsy notes,and some sweetness that might resemble BR540,but only in a small percent.Great tehnics.
ScentedGentScentedGent 10 months ago
Kalan is way too medicinal smelling for my tastes. Pass.
SmellGoodGuySmellGoodGuy 10 months ago
Maybe it's me, but I think I may pass on this one. Need to resample it...TBC...
FranknSenseFranknSense 10 months ago
There are 540 reasons to buy this perfume. On top of it it's a bit darker, dryer, woodier, more subtle and manlier than 540. A good option.

by LadyLuxifer
by DoNI92
by Alex51091
by Alex51091

Popular Parfums de Marly

Herod by Parfums de Marly Layton by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Shagya by Parfums de Marly Byerley by Parfums de Marly Galloway by Parfums de Marly Cassili by Parfums de Marly