Kalan by Parfums de Marly
Kalan is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for men and was released in 2019. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase.
Scent goes well with Spirito Fiorentino

Top Notes Top NotesBlood orange, Black pepper, Spices
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavender, Orange blossom absolute, Solar note
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Moss, Precious woods, Amber, Roasted tonka bean

Submitted by MuffinXS, last update on 17.04.2021.

Kalan compliment magnet
this is a good 12-15 hour scent. smells great. long lasting and gets me compliments like crazy. spicy and woody. my lady loves it. I've had woman stop me while grocery shopping and ask me what im wearing because it smells so good. I've also had guys ask me what im wearing as well and even had his wife come smell me.
What special
My wife described the fragrance as a new couch fragrance, meets so about. Anyway, no normalo fragrance. For special occasions just right. I think in the summer he comes even a tick better so in the cold season
Extraordinary
The first impression is difficult to describe. But extraordinary is probably most accurate.
The nose must first get used to this fragrance. One searches in vain his olfactory memory. Yes, something fruity resonates in the prelude already, but rather not sweet. So blood orange (with peel) hits it quite well. But there is still something not tangible.
A tad in the plastic possibly. But not quite. Probably it is the solar notes listed here.
Kalan is modern and bold. And if a fragrance is different and bold, then usually because fragrance notes- or directions are too intensively present which should not be overdosed:
Too smoky
Too resinous
Too sweet
Too animal
Too much incense
Too much caraway
too much chamomile
too ...

Everything is well balanced here. There is nothing too much of anything. One tries all the time to fathom this fragrance and I think you have to test it a few times before this happens. As has also been described by other users.
It definitely has recognition value and the likelihood of someone saying "oh, reminds me of XYZ" is very low. If you know him, you know it's him.
So if you want to stand out from the crowd, this is a good candidate for it.

If, yes if, I do want to see a distant resemblance, it would be Axe Alaska + '
And in potent, of course.

In the drydown, the Kalan then becomes a bit softer, woodier and more pleasing. It comes through the light tonka bean but again not too strong.

Durability and sillage are considerable
Smells like scorched electronics
This scent reminded me spontaneously of scorched electronics.
Possibly there was a cable smoldering fire during the development of this fragrance.
The perfumer has succeeded very well to capture and hold this smell.

I would recommend this fragrance to any hobbyist electronics.

NO crowd pleaser
Those looking for a very pleasing scent for any occasion that will wow the masses will have to keep looking.

However, those who want to try a very niche and unusual Marly could be very happy with the Kalan.

The scent is very spicy with a slight sweetness from the blood orange and becomes warmer and woodier as it progresses.

In the line of the usual suspects from the house of PdM, it definitely stands out. He is definitely a bold release that will not please everyone, but he does not have to. Who can make friends with him, may decorate his collection with an extremely complex and unique fragrance in a strikingly beautiful flacon.
It took a long time...
...until I warmed up to this fragrance, which was not the case with the other creations from the house of Parfums de Marly - these had all appealed to me right away. OK, there were also some that I liked, but from which I would definitely not have to own a whole bottle (eg Oajan and Habdan), with others such as Akaster, the decision is still on the verge because of the high price.

But now back to the real star of this review. At first I was a bit "surprised", to put it mildly. Other noses in the house have even really detested the fragrance - and still do, by the way. I have given him but still a chance, because I felt on the one hand the fragrance is not really repulsive (but only as strange and extreme) and I also reluctant to resell opened bottlings, especially since it was also only 5ml.

And what happened? From time to time wearing I liked the scent better, my nose probably had to get used to it a bit. A due to a post-maturation accompanying change in the scent over time I simply exclude times due to the filling. And at some point it was then so far that I liked the fragrance even really good.

In the whole thing was the Pegasus Exclusif not entirely uninvolved, because this contains a note that reminds me of Kalan, but in a slightly milder form. Since I like the former very much, this has helped to get the Kalan once again out of the collection.

On the individual fragrance notes I do not like to go into great detail, because these have already been described here enough and the fragrance pyramid I think reflects that very well. Initially, a peppery blood orange is indeed dominant, which is then warmed up over time by woody notes.

I feel a certain similarity to Baccarat Rouge 540, a fragrance that I still do not like - let's see if that still changes ;-)
Emo
The black (red) horse - a legend since time immemorial!
The black (red) horse - a legend since time immemorial!A very interesting creation that requires a special finesse of years of experience. It draws you under its spell! The reins of arguably the best horse are taken in hand and the journey begins into the unimaginable.
Really nice
I bought the fragrance blind and must say that the PDM for my taste is simply the best PDM. The Layton I also find good but the Kalan clearly better. The pepper in the interplay with the citrus just brilliant and you just notice that it does not fail from the quality. The shelf life is above average and I take him still after 10 h war. On the first day already get 4 compliments and was also asked directly, which fragrance that is. I can recommend in any case.
Kalan
A really sensational fragrance, which in my opinion is wearable in almost every conceivable situation. Here has also impressively shown what an outstanding community is represented here, I bought the fragrance (the price is quite in the middle / upper price segment) solely because of the impressions described here. Yes I ordered here of course in the forum also a sample, however, I ordered before the first sniff already the full bottle, because I read through after the sample order again and again the comments here and then decided despite sample for a "practical" blind buy, which I have never done in the price regions so far.

In short: The fragrance is simply mega and I have my philosophy change regarding the Blindbuy not regretted. Here in the forum he is quite preferred in the cool days, but I see here a fragrance before me, which has earned the predicate "ALLROUNDER" without restrictions. The fragrance is unique and somehow all the same. Sometimes fresh sometimes sweet without being indecisive. The durability is excellent with more than 10h.
A word, however, to the sillage, which makes me quite something headache. I bought the fragrance a few days ago at a usual suspect of the big perfume shops online and the bottle carries the batch 0180063 / REF: PM2003PV. Already a few minutes after spraying on, the fragrance becomes clearly close to the skin and then gives off its smell within the next few hours only in "spurts". Some call him even as Beats or the like. - that in turn, I can not sign today. However, I must say here fairly that it may also be due to me and/or my nose. With Stranomia or BR, which are compared yes both gladly with Kalan and in the same sentence are called, I could observe exactly the same phenomenon
Kalan remains in my collection for the time being, simply because he is the epitome of niche for me and he has shown me impressively what the community here, respectively the feedbacks can do. My first Blindbuy from the niche world, I will not forget so quickly.

If someone can say more about the batch or the sillage issue addressed, please report!
No everybody's darling
Kalan - my first PdM fragrance.
The opening is a mixture of spices and blood orange. While in the further course lavender and a touch of orange blossom dazugesellen, the top notes still remain very long. Becomes quite sweet and creamy in the drydown.
With me Kalan has a very good shelf life of 6-8 hours. I prefer to wear the fragrance in the autumn-winter season, maybe still in the spring. All in all, a great and unusual fragrance. No everybody's darling, but who appreciates him, will have his bright joy.

ScentwitchScentwitch 3 months ago
This perfume smells powdery and bitter on my husband. It’s not a favorite for me.
GolcherGolcher 6 months ago
I regretted this blind buy, too medicinal for my taste but every time I wore it I got something different and new, it's now a solid LOVE
MeursaultMeursault 1 year ago
5.5
A chemical mess. Bitter-sweet, herbal, spicy with a weird latex smell. It's a no from me.
ItchynoseItchynose 1 year ago
5.5
Dry blood orange opening followed by a bitter & medicinal combo of orange blossom, lavender and moss. Masculine retro Geo. F. Trumper vibe.
LexaLexa 2 years ago
Very spicy,lots of cumin,lavender,woodsy notes,and some sweetness that might resemble BR540,but only in a small percent.Great tehnics.
ScentedGentScentedGent 2 years ago
Kalan is way too medicinal smelling for my tastes. Pass.
SmellGoodGuySmellGoodGuy 2 years ago
Maybe it's me, but I think I may pass on this one. Need to resample it...TBC...
FranknSenseFranknSense 2 years ago
There are 540 reasons to buy this perfume. On top of it it's a bit darker, dryer, woodier, more subtle and manlier than 540. A good option.

by Jusch1995
by Chris5ch
by 3Lv3
by 3Lv3

Popular Parfums de Marly

Layton by Parfums de Marly Herod by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Delina La Rosée by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Pegasus Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Cassili by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly