Kalan by Parfums de Marly
Kalan is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for women and men and was released in 2019. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase.
Scent goes well with Spirito Fiorentino

Top Notes Top NotesBlood orangeBlood orange Black pepperBlack pepper SpicesSpices
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavenderLavender Orange blossom absoluteOrange blossom absolute Solar noteSolar note
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwoodSandalwood MossMoss Precious woodsPrecious woods AmberAmber Roasted tonka beanRoasted tonka bean

Submitted by MuffinXS, last update on 24.05.2022.

GolcherGolcher 2 years ago
I read Kalan was very challenging and I liked everything they said about it on many youtube channels so once I found the right price I went ahead and blind bought....
RazvanykeRazvanyke 2 years ago
I was attracted by the nice bottle design and the prestige of PdM to go and try this perfume in a store, which I did. I sprayed once on my wrist...

ScentSlave
I’m wondering if this fragrance is like “the dress”…
… you know that viral picture of a blue and black dress that some people see as white and gold?

I truly wonder this, because I simply cannot get the notes that the people who dislike it describe. A lot of people say the opening is bad, rough, or difficult bear. I don’t get this. Right from the beginning, it’s fantastic for me. A spicy feel indeed, but bad? No. Do the people that dislike it enjoy spicy (I’m talking Thai spicy, or ghost pepper action) food? Is that what makes the fork in the road?

I’m truly puzzled because the polarity on this one is SO absolute. There’s is no middle ground.

Back to the description.

Scent wise I absolutely love it. In my opinion, PDM scents have something about them that they all share. I can’t describe it, but when it’s PDM, you KNOW it’s PDM. The projection is loud (4ft+ radius) in the first 3-4 hours, and the longevity is an easy 10 hours. The sillage trail is defined and strong, but it does back off a bit after the 4 hour mark, when it starts transforming into a skin scent. Nothing to complain about in my opinion.

It’s all about how you see it… is it blue or white?

;-)

Two Fraternal Twins
The brands are different, yet the colour of the bottle is analogous, a scarlet red one and Baccarat red the other, and even the scents have a few points in common. Here and there, some puffs smell the same, but when compared side by side, Baccarat Rouge 540 Eau de Parfum and Kalan are two distinct scents, each with its own unique character. I see more contrasts than resemblances between the two. Kalan smells like a more manly, robust, woodier and darker version of Baccarat. Perhaps, Baccarat has a more feminine touch, whereas Kalan has a more masculine slant as if they altered the original formula for getting two complementary fragrances. Two fraternal twins of different sexes may smell very similar but not precisely identical. Kalan is a splendid example of a perfume that can be like many classic perfumes, but the use of some notes in this perfume both takes it away from them and makes it look different from them. Well, the comparison ends here. Let us now get to the heart of Kalan's description.

Kalan is a small fern, virile and highly sophisticated, and feels like a modern barbershop fragrance, both spicy and green, and vaguely floral. Although they classify it as oriental spicy, it has a fougére tendency, with a fluffy, unsweet, salty, cotton candy feel. Created by two Mane Company perfumers, Celine Ripert and Nathalie Templer, it opens with an extraordinarily fresh initial note of bitterly aromatic blood orange, black pepper and spices for a burst of energy. An observable syrupiness, thick and gooey, with a touch of medicinal, tastes of dried blood orange slices, expertly spiced with freshly ground black pepper. The blood orange does not have the sweet scent commonly found in fragrances. Instead, it feels like unripe or unsweet orange with a sour taste, filthy and full metal nuance. The spices mentioned must include dusty nutmeg and precious saffron, I'd bet, as I get a bitter leathery nuance in the initial blast. The spicy mix plays a role throughout the entire lifecycle of the fragrance. I get a synthetic plastic smell in here for just a moment, but it's just an illusion. I am blown away by that accord. Whilst it might not sound appealing, it is precisely the smell I figured out in my mind before buying or even sampling it.

It releases an accord of aromatic lavender herbs and orange blossom in the heart, evoking the majesty of ancient French gardens. It is gorgeous, although difficult to interpret and describe in words. I catch a resinous roasted sugar, and a few whispers of earthy oakmoss from the base are already detectable if I press my nose to my wrist. I doubt it could be a crowd-pleaser because of the very distinct bitter notes that drive it. The lavender comes to the front and gives it a very slight fougére vibe. I'm sure this unusual volume and dosage of lavender will surprise you. Even if I don't know what perfume the solar note should have, the heart is heated; it warms the surrounding atmosphere, and the essence makes me think of a cold sunny day rather than a rainy one, so it has achieved the result. So the middle stage has a warm aroma, spicy and slightly metallic.

At last, it evolves into something earthly. And when I say earth, I don't mean dirty patchouli or similar; instead, something more like moss and wet dirt or soil. Moss mixed with wood gives the illusion of aged and damp wood. White sandalwood, immersed in musk, woody notes, amber and tonka beans, melts on the skin and ignites the imagination. Now the scent toned down. It is calmer, more agreeable. Smooth, bright, utterly mesmerising.

And I get a massive amount of warm, creamy, kind of burnt and caramelised sugar from roasted tonka. That smoky sugariness slant, in the end, is tamed by an animalic, musky and earthy moss, which already came up at the opening. It's so smooth that it is perfect. There's no overbearing ambroxan or ambergris here, like in so many other contemporary men's perfumes. Just delectable amber, sweet but not sticky—a chocolate sweetness, I would say—that keeps things from ever getting too dark or deep.

Longevity is excellent, and the sillage looks good too. It hangs in the air, especially in the first few hours after application, but I get a puff of burnt sugar sweetness here and there when I move my arms or turn my head. The heat it gives off suggests that I wear it during the coldest days and evenings in winter, at least in the spring and autumn months closest to winter. What to say? I wanted this perfume from the first moment I saw his presentation, and I loved it at the first sniff. So freaky Glorious, and Gorgeous. But from the other reviews, Kalan is a polarising fragrance, no doubt. One faction thinks this is a magnificent and soothing scent and another that finds it disgusting and vexatious. So, don't just dwell on the appearances or impressions of others, including mine, but experience Kalan on your own skin... it may pleasantly surprise you!

I base the review on a bottle I have owned since December 2021.

-Elysium
The better MFK BR540?
Opening: rough pepper coated with green moss. The blood orange floats in the background also with. Also the lavender is immediately Wahrnehmbar.

Drydown: After minutes, a light sweetness of the composition added. The tonka bean has arrived. Pepper and spices are still present. The olfactory composition is surrounded by barely perceptible amber and an indefinable wood chord.

Conclusion: Similarity to BR540? Yes by but Kalan is more peppery and edgier. This angularity can also be perceived as synthetic. Definitely the Kalan but is more masculine than BR540 although he still moves in the middle of the unisex spectrum.
A dream
My first review for a fragrance.
For THIS fragrance!

What do I find so special about Kalan or what does this fragrance remind me of?

When I was a little boy, I always thought my uncle was cool. He wore a leather jacket and was always freshly showered and smoking. When I smelled this scent, I was 7 years old again and saw my uncle standing next to me lighting up a cigarette.

What do I actually smell there? There exists no leather, no tobacco, no powdery anything.... and yet that's exactly what I smell!

For me, this is my absolute favorite scent. Better than Layton, better than Herod he is just what very special for me!

My wife smells the blood orange and the wood. We like this fragrance above average!

The spices, that peppery and sweet yet woody.... i love that kind of scents.

What do the others say?
Well, there are people in my environment I Him equally love and have bought and again others find him penetrating, but in no way unpleasant!

Absolute purchase recommendation on my part!
Artur163
There will be a lot of disagreements!
As already mentioned in the title, this fragrance is very ambivalent.
Some like it, others hate it.
For me personally, it is a very good, stable, extraordinaire fragrance that you may not understand at first smell.
The interplay of blood orange and pepper is perfected in this fragrance, in my opinion. It has something animalic, something unknown ... similar to Baccarat Rouge 540, which makes me smell this fragrance over and over again.
Try it ! This fragrance is for the virtuoso!
Jusch1995
Blood orange kisses pepper and lavender - exciting but strongly polarizing
Kalan opens with a very present blood orange, followed by lots of sweet notes. The opening of the fragrance can seem a bit tart at first, but then transitions into a gentle, even pleasure.
In the finish, the initially over-present blood orange fades and makes way for lavender, which is caressed by an orange blossom.

As the fragrance progresses, woods and moss join in. This is where the real potential of the fragrance ignites and its very polarizing quality in my opinion. The subtle blood orange is greatly affected by the moss, but is still noticeable. I know many people who dislike the moss note and therefore devalue the fragrance. Personally, I find that this is precisely what creates the distinctive character of the harmonious composition.

The fragrance has been criticized a lot, but slowly it gets the attention it deserves. In my opinion, it is a very unique and exciting composition that complements the range of Parfums de Marly wonderfully. Longevity and sillage are above average, the fragrance is ubiquitous in a good way. It is more suitable for colder seasons and casual wear, but with a bit of courage it can be worn in the office as well. The bottle is Marly-typically very noble and with its fiery red color a real eye-catcher on the shelf.

A fragrance for all who like sweet scents with a slightly fruity impact and feel attracted to woody notes. Absolutely (longer) test to understand him and give a chance. The top note may well be off-putting.
4.5
Parfums de Marly in the Ferrari
PdMs new fragrance was pretty hyped on the net.
I became aware of the fragrance through Jeremy Fragrance. From PdM I already own several fragrances. I love especially oriental and woody fragrances - and since PdM has some really good in the program.
Oajan, for example, is a very nice spicy oriental fragrance. Layton Exclusif I also find very successful.
In general, I had so far smelled nothing really bad from PdM.
Blood orange, pink pepper, spices, tonka bean, woods... all ingredients I like.
So I bought the Kalan blind! I had shot him cheap in Black Friday.
My first impression was positive:
With me, I take a citrusy, peppery opening after spraying, then come through balsamic, creamy nuances.
Relatively soon, tonka bean also appears on the fragrance stage.
Hm, and that's where I get into trouble.
The tonka bean is too present in the foreground for me. She brescht with the mallet through and then remains for hours.
The durability is very good, after a few hours, the fragrance already seems penetrating for me.
I find the Kalan difficult. Bad he is not, really good but for me also not.
Next to Byerley he forms my personal taillight in my PdM collection.
Also for PdM fans I advise absolutely: Buy sample before!
Sweaty, nasty tonka bean
The roasted tonka bean, which should actually appear properly only in the dry down has me in the top note already slain so that I was first really very turned off by the fragrance. Don't get me wrong, I love tonka bean in fragrances, but in Kalan it is so present probably amplified by the oriental spices that almost all other notes are completely drowned out. Reminds me a bit of a dirty, sweaty spice market. I have a hard time finding a "kind" of man (or woman, for example, I usually like to wear masculine fragrances) who would like this scent. He smells extremely provocative and requires really required taste, anything but a crowd pleaser (basically nothing bad but well).I love the bottle, but otherwise I can the fragrance unfortunately really nothing to gain. For me, a real failure in the men's Marlys.

Blood Red
This is the fourth PdM i tried, after the great trio Pegasus, Herod and Layton. The little perfumery i monthly visit suggested me Kalan and it was the commonly "love at first sniff". Nevertheless i totally understand how this fragrance can be polarizing, expecially for those who might have expected a smooth, refined and superbly well balanced concotion typical to PdM DNA. Kalan instead offers a different experience, with a scent that to me seems having two different souls, connected and fighting each other both. A strangely dark sweetness of the blood orange somehow tries to keep at bay a spicyness and earthyness that might otherwise be overwhelming, in a quite a long journey from the opening to the late drydown. During this evolution i've found the orange becoming less pungent while a creamier woody note takes some spices and earth away. I own decants of BR540 and IC (and i like them both very much) but i really do not think you can use any of those two to give an idea of how Kalan smells, like i read and heard. To my nose/brain instead, if i have to describe Kalan with a comparison, i'll rather use Terre d'Hermes, with its "concept of dirty orange" taken by Kalan to totally new hights in terms of power and contrast (and pleasure and joy imho). I'll like to add that Kalan can be versatile too, with the trigger letting you adjust to season and occasion.
Whatever it is, i've probably found my new signature scent!
PS this is my first review here, so please be good ;)

Of Fragrances and Men
Pretty harsh, with an extremely strong personality, combining warm spicy notes (especially a lot of cumin,so make sure you know what you're getting into) ,with warm amber, precious sandalwood and a beautiful aromatic lavender, Kalan is the perfume that through the harmony of the notes manages to remind of the famous and much loved Baccarat Rouge. A bit,not much,just a tease,like an old childhood friend,now mature enough to maybe make you think whether you two used to know eachother or not (but his face is sooo familiar though) .Unisex and versatile ,Kalan brings to the wearer a seductive, elegant and modern aura, turning heads everytime this particular man (or woman ,why not) passes through.
Even though Kalan is listed unisex,as i've already mentioned,a man would wear it better.Just my two cents.

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 7 days ago
After an uplifting metallic-spicy opening, this creamy oriental-spicy Fougère, settles to a warm and smooth spicy-woody base. Good for Fall.
JackofSpadesJackofSpades 4 months ago
Peppery orange, not sweet nor edible,a bitter/dusty lavender and orange blossom accord, and mossy/woody base, with hints of sweetness.Manly.
StinkypennyStinkypenny 7 months ago
Violent. Peppery opening = harsh, dischordant. Late drydown is *just* bearable. Not blindbuy safe. Masculine. Huge sillage, great longevity.
MariaSMariaS 8 months ago
Bitter sweet spicy scent with BR540 DNA (not similar). Reminds me of men shampoo where they put a bitter/herbal note to make it smell manly.
Rmf1112Rmf1112 12 months ago
Similar to drydown in Oud For Greatness, caramelized spun sugar with a slight bitterness. I don’t see anything unpleasant about it on skin
ScentwitchScentwitch 1 year ago
This perfume smells powdery and bitter on my husband. It’s not a favorite for me.
GolcherGolcher 2 years ago
I regretted this blind buy, too medicinal for my taste but every time I wore it I got something different and new, it's now a solid LOVE
MeursaultMeursault 2 years ago
5.5
A chemical mess. Bitter-sweet, herbal, spicy with a weird latex smell. It's a no from me.
ItchynoseItchynose 2 years ago
5.5
Dry blood orange opening followed by a bitter & medicinal combo of orange blossom, lavender and moss. Masculine retro Geo. F. Trumper vibe.
ScentedGentScentedGent 3 years ago
Kalan is way too medicinal smelling for my tastes. Pass.

by Jusch1995
by Chris5ch
by 3Lv3
by 3Lv3

Popular by Parfums de Marly

Layton by Parfums de Marly Herod by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Delina La Rosée by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Pegasus Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Greenley by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly