Kalan by Parfums de Marly
Kalan is a new perfume by Parfums de Marly for men and was released in 2019. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBlood orange, Black pepper, Spices
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavender, Orange blossom absolute, Solar note
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Moss, Precious woods, Amber, Roasted tonka bean

Submitted by MuffinXS, last update on 20.11.2020.

Two-Face
why Two-Face?

What does Kalan have to do with the Batman villain?
Because he punches so aggressively in the snout that it melts the half of your face on skin contact? D
All joking aside, simply because he has two faces.

Hot or cold
Hate or Love
Sweet or spicy
Juicy or dust-dry
all this and none of it. Depending on when, how and where you wear it.

But let me start from the beginning, taking one thing in advance, it is not a Baccarat Rouge clone. Just like not every pineapple is an Aventus and not every shower gel scent is a sauvage, but I digress...

In the middle of summer 2020, about 30 degrees plus and I had been thinking about buying Kalan for ages, but was deterred by the almost entirely negative comments etc.
In the end, he made it on his way to me on the said day in summer.

Sure, not necessarily the season, but that's what I care about, season, place, occasion, what itches me that I hit the thing I like and feel good as a clam :) if that doesn't fit, pull up your mask ;)
Anyway, unpacked and directly drooling, clear the bottle is a dream.
Carefully only at the spray head smelled, one could already easily guess that it possibly nevertheless no flop becomes because according to customer opinions some burned rubber or what the devil what smell. Ok now full throttle 5 sprayers on neck, shoulder and behind the ears and a bonus sprayer on the back of the hand, a piruette, twenty squats, twelve pushups, eight Klimmis, fifteen seconds twerken, a wheel beat and tieeeef inhale......
What a great smell I thought, why did I avoid it so long
Layton shoots me in the head, then Layton Exclusif, then Vanille Kaba with milk warm in a pot with honey boiled up by mummy when I was a little boy.
In front of my inner eye a fist dunked in pepper which flies directly into my snout at full speed and in the corner of the ring not Vaseline is smeared into my cut but a blood orange heated by the sand and the sweat is wiped off with moss.

Brutally the smell I thought, I was right there and then. I can never describe fragrances so well, only feel them, it's hard to say
But to come to the end and also to pick up the headline.
The fragrance is actually dry as dust, but only in autumn/winter I find, on that summer day, I went for a walk, the sun was shining, it was super juicy. Hence two faces.

In hot weather it is fair sweet (not like BR540 but fair sweet)
When it's cold, it's mega spicy.

When it's hot, it's super fruity.
It's super woody in cold weather
When it's hot, it's simply unique
With cold also :D

I like it in the summer almost even better than I do now, no matter what I wear it all year round and I am always happy to see which side it shows today and I have never had a fragrance like it before. Love or Hate and in my case Big Love
One 125ml bottle in use and two backups in the cupboard, I am safe.

No matter if office, noon in the morning, summer, winter, gala or construction site toilet, this sexy Kalan always works.
Don't be influenced by negative things so much and test this treasure unbiased and extensively, I am so glad that he made it to me. Best blindbuy so far.

I wish you something ;)

LG
Straw
You get exactly what you pay for, but is that what you want? I do!
So, I'm losing my commentary virginity, too. Late bloomer, stop :D
Besides, I had imagined it quite differently and certainly not with HIM (Kalan), but what do you want to do. With this scent I can't get around it anymore
It is one of the few perfumes where I can look at the pyramid of fragrances and give it a nod of approval.

- Peppery spicy prelude - Check
- Tart coat of blood orange - Check
- Herbaceous lavender in the background check
- A rough base of dry wood and moss - Check

Very linear, because I can still smell the fruitiness of the orange (and even traces of pepper) very distinctly after 6-8 hours, even though the base is of course getting wider bit by bit. It is best to "incubate" it between warm skin and textile instead of on open bare skin, where it quickly flattens. If you give it warmth, it gives volume, presence and transforms from bitter and pungent to fruity and herbaceous
Testing Kalan was indeed an exciting affair. Do you know when you have a sample and you classify it as "Oh...no", "Well, OK" or "What's that supposed to be" and a short time later it's suddenly empty? That's how I felt with Kalan Against all intuition (or even out of subconscious defiance) I (apparently) wore it again and again. First on test strips to sniff around, then in the evening after a shower and later on complete working days.
And like in a crazy Rom-Com I fell in love with him of all people, who just annoyed me, who didn't want to understand me and I didn't understand him. It's funny
Kalan is dry, tart, stubborn and super PDM untypical. I love the cuddlers a la Herod and Carlisle, but Kalan does his own thing. And that's a good thing too.

Fisherman
"911, what is your emergency?" Help, my horse got tangled up in the cotton candy...

....and tramples my imaginary blood oranges! "Is this a joke?" I wish I was...

And so a warm welcome to my first comment. Shall we begin? Yes? Great :) Here we go:

Dried blood orange, a good deal of pepper and sweetness / chewy sweetness (depending on who you ask). I got this idea from Kalan after reading some comments and statements and was already looking forward to a summery, fruity scent with hints of aromatic pepper. What came to me in the form of a sharing share was pretty much the opposite of a summer scent, unless you spend your summer at the carnival next to the cotton candy machine.

But first to the top note, shortly after spraying on: Ouch! :) And the pain was immediately followed by 2 sneezes, but whoever thinks "that must be an authentic pepper" is only half right; he irritates the nose in exactly the same way as his freshly ground (half)brother. Unfortunately, it lacks every aromatic note that is normally associated with the biting character of pepper. Never mind! Because shortly after spraying on most of the fragrances are just a wild under and over for my nose that wants to tell me "Leave me alone! I'm not done yet!"

So Fishermen waits patiently for a minute (jittery because marked by anticipation), sniffs him again and sniffs... Yeah, what's he smelling now? Could it be? Well, my olfactory bulb will hardly lie to me? It's caramelized sugar! But where's my blood orange? More minutes went by, and the caramelized sugar got rounder and rounder... and there it is! The cotton candy! Wait, what?

...you can certainly imagine my surprised and thoroughly disappointed face. But perhaps my nose is lying to me after all? I smelled even more precisely.... concentrated myself a little more and....Aha! No not...right? I think you could also interpret the cotton candy as a sugared blood orange, but unfortunately my brain defends itself vehemently against this interpretation, I can only guess the blood orange, like one of these tilting pictures where you just have to think of the picture differently and you see something completely different, but unfortunately the picture does not tilt, as much as I try.
What remains is an authentic cotton candy, which is complemented by caramelized sugar and a light "pepper", which I like for what it is, and I say this as someone who is not really a fan of sweet fragrances. Maybe it's because Kalan doesn't necessarily have a classic sweetness, hardly, he just smells of a very authentic cotton candy, which has been made more mature in some way by "pepper" and caramel (ironically, I know). So to speak a cotton candy which has already passed puberty ;)
Kalan is fortunately not a little horse; he holds on to me for a good 6 hours and still projects quite neatly, so that my specified minimum (about 5 hours) of durability for a fragrance in this price range (~100€+) is exceeded However, I would not wear Kalan, firstly because the fragrance itself is too one-dimensional and therefore expensive, and secondly because I do not want to smell of cotton candy (not even the adult version). For those for whom it is important: Nevertheless, I consider Kalan to be a unisex fragrance that anyone can wear at any age, if they want to.

And in the end, as always: order filling and test it yourself! 1ml is enough for this and life is too short to be distracted from a fragrance by comments, who knows what experience you will miss!
Have fun smelling the earth,
Fisherman (for price information regarding my imaginary BIO Blood Orange PM to me)
Ehdr
I'll break a lance for him
Hello dear Parfumos (Parfumisti?.. what is the correct term?)

Kalan is somehow not a typical Marly, which is probably the reason why he is not as popular as his siblings. The problem probably lies in the fact that you expect something different (sweeter) when you think of Parfums de Marly. The most famous horses in the Marly stable, a Herod, a Carlisle, a Layton... all go a little bit gourmand for me. They are sweet, extremely pleasing, easy to love, suitable for the masses (which is all positive - so we don't get the wrong idea here).

Kalan... is none of those things. He has no sweet vanilla, no juicy apple. Instead, it is bitter, earthy, smoky. But if you take a neutral and unbiased look at it, it's definitely an awesome scent with something very distinct. Especially now in autumn, when the days are getting a bit colder, Kalan is a faithful companion at my side.

It's certainly not a blind buy, but he certainly deserves a chance. Imagine you go outdoors on an autumn day at the weekend, for a walk by the water or in the city, casual, casual outfit, maybe a leather jacket... in my opinion this scent fits perfectly
Just wanted to take up the cudgels for the Kalan, especially since I really like it. I am still working on my abilities to describe a fragrance, that will be fine... I promise :)
FuegoNero88
Racehorse RedRum with the burning mane
To experience this fragrance is phenomenal! When opening the beautiful magic red flacon the tension rises...then two splashes on the back of the hand...wait three seconds...off to the nose...and RUN!! Run as fast as you can, just run straight ahead...jump as high as you can at obstacles...nothing can stop you! Kalan releases an energy right at the beginning with an indisputably present punch in the fr*se, which can only be compared to the branding of a fire-red iron. No matter how tired you are, no matter what thoughts you just had...now you are in the here and now...this moment counts. The top note of potent blood orange and spicy pepper will let you sharpen your senses, the receptors open, the pupils dilate, the heart beats faster...ready for any task. The scent challenges you...it takes you away...takes you on a journey. After a while the first shock subsides, the scent calms down...the first woods appear...still in duet with peppery blood orange...still with an energetic aura that is always perceptible, still with a scent that animates you to higher things.

An unbelievable durability and Sillage is known at PdM, this is in no way inferior to the competitors from their own company
The overall composition fits easily, the colour with the fragrance and quality is convincing. Associations I draw to the RED fire of a starting rocket, the RED limitation of the rev counter, the RED devil dancing the tango of hell...Kalan is ENERGY, WILD, PASSION...GENIAL!!!
Ruhrpot smell
Was a recommendation from Kai "Tuyau" on YouTube. Well, the guy has a hunch, I like his judgments and he was totally blown away by KALAN. I in good mood then souped ten milliliters. Of course: thick and long and full speed - typical PdM. The here incessantly quoted blood orange does not open up to me - rather a certain oriental sweetness with fermented windfall fruit. As a non fan of lists of various individual aromas I remain true to myself and leave it at highly subjective impressions. These say: I just don't like him! He has an insane penetrance in the drydown, something cheaply smoky. It reminds me of a mixture of a 70s crocheted ceiling living room in a bath and egg with smoky stuffed animals on the sofa. The wet laundry smells of strange soaking attempts, yes - I can smell the orange, but one soaked, one spent, one musty. And then this smoky one in the Kalan! Brrrr. Don't get the wrong idea: I like smoke as a fragrance, yes. Depends on the smoke. Pipe tobacco - cool! Revolving cigarrettes a la Halfzware - great! Only this flavoured filter tipping stuff I hate like the plague. And something that also the Kalan of it. Altogether an unhappy pairing, the area of application for me not exhausted. Date? Nope, too weird. Home alone at night? Too messy. I'm frph that there's only 10ml of it. PdM has nicer scents, that's for sure
The colour red
... stands in many ways for a certain luxury, passion, but above all success. The sporting comparisons that I like to draw, for example, make me think of England's legendary LFC as the current Champions League champions or fresh champions of the Premier League. If it is less appealing, you don't even have to go so far to find the champions from the Bavarian capital.
The emotional component makes me think of motorsport. The Ferraristi, who are currently taking a longer break from their successful history, or the beautiful two-wheelers from Ducati. Especially with the latter it is impressive to what extent the emotions and passion thrown into the balance over the one or other technical peculiarity (some would also claim inadequacy) deceive away and supposedly let the essential recede into the background.

To reproduce the colour red in a fragrance is an ambitious goal, which in my opinion the creators of Kalan succeeded in an impressive way. The fragrance is captivatingly beautiful and special, has wonderfully gossamer-like polished corners and edges that still offer more than enough profile not to please everyone. Kalan is a character actor and polarized, awakens emotions and passion in me, one of the main reasons why I landed and, above all, stayed on the platform during his time here.
In my opinion, the launch alone, which even the product's well-intentioned contemporaries so often dislike, is simply grandiose. This sandy blood orange, dripping juicy with a subtle blade, gets so much punch in the opening flanked by the pepper that I am immediately with me and the moment and have to think of the pleasure of a good double espresso. And Kalan never seems overloaded at the beginning, never hinting at any time at a promise that it would not keep later.
In the further course of the piece the juicy chord decreases and from the beginning there remains a fruity-harsh melange which makes me think visually of unsweet and of course not Christmas dried blood orange slices. In heart and base Kalan becomes drier, more serious and nestles over the wearer like a pleasantly scented second skin. Especially the Drydown, the heaven on earth, makes Kalan for me a definite men's fragrance of the absolute top class. Not a fragrance that "fools around" with the idea of being unisex, not even for young boys. It is for men, I would say, standing in the middle of life, but of course so calm that he naturally gives a lady the scent with a wink, old school, a lady's heart and soul on her skin.

The color red is my current favorite color.
Advanced apprentice
I close the store and prepare the shop, everything goes on its way.
Punctually the coffee is on my place in the staff room half an hour before opening time.

I sit there in my freshly ironed shirt and needle-striped double-breasted suit, waiting for my colleagues for a chat before the shift.

Temporally we are in the main season in spring.

The deputy branch manager enters the room,
and asks me what's that pungent smell
I applied 5 sprayers of Kalan 5 minutes before

Even I had to scatter myself briefly in front of the almost sneaker-like smell of the Sahara dry five times peppered blood orange that lay in the room I knew directly that the whole thing was too much. Even after airing the whole thing was only discreetly bearable.

But between the almost poisonous smell there was something that fascinated me, somehow it was attractive for me, I already suspected that it could be the woods lying somewhere at the bottom of the fragrance.
Somehow I was hoping for it because the pyramid of scents appealed to me, I was interested in woody scents because I find the notes quite natural which I like very much.
Half an hour passed, the fragrance reached the heart note, a slightly friendlier orange blossom was added, also a fine touch of lavender. The blood orange remains.
As well as the woody undertone.

The fragrance is now much friendlier but still has an assertiveness that is second to none.

I go to my daily work, another colleague helps me briefly, I ask him what he thinks of the scent and he answers that you expect something like this when you see me.

I seem a bit arrogant to strangers outside of my work, well-versed and wiseacre at work now and then, yet I always remain polite and am never distracted or absent.

The scent helps me to stay myself at work without being too much of a pretender.
Anyone who's ever done behavioral analysis knows what I'm talking about.

I'm more of a choleric guy who's an initiator.
In company I tend to tend towards the sanguine, which often leads me to overshoot the mark and want to have everyone's attention.

The scent suits me like the almost on the eye.

At first sight a little bit strenuous, at second sight you learn to appreciate me and my always preceding way.

- Parfums de Marly Kalan.
Note: Not more than 3 sprayers with the experience comes the knowledge ;)
Dried blood orange
So, then I'll have a look at the still quite young fragrance from Parfums de Marly called Kalan. When I read the notes, it sounded very promising to me at first. The woody notes in combination with blood orange and spices aroused my deepest interest. I also like the combination of orange blossom and lavender, so I was hoping to see some of the actually good idea behind Gucci Guilty EdT (he said Jehovah, please don't stone me :D) in an improved form as part of the whole. So far so good. When I ordered a bottle of it, I sprayed it directly onto my skin and my expectations were high - and they were met... at the start. A beautifully balanced mixture of blood orange (not at all pungent), spices and some woods spread, a real delight for me. The scent developed and after about an hour I smelled again and shared it with others. What remained were the spices in combination with woods. The blood orange was still well perceptible and gave the whole thing a flair over the whole period. I would draw parallels to Terre d' Hermes perfume here, only with blood orange instead of lemon/grapefruit. But now we come to a real point of criticism on my part. The scent becomes really tart and above all dry with time. If you take a deep nose, you even get a dry mouth despite the pleasant smell. There's no sweetness in this perfume, but there's no really noticeable sweetness either, and the finish is almost dusty. The orange blossom actually forms an undernote with the lavender, which can remind of Guilty when smelling consciously. Age-wise for me clearly 40+. Even compliments will occur very sporadically. At least from about 10 people I interviewed (from different age groups) only one person liked the scent, another found it tolerable. Personally I would like to love it, but I can't ignore the dry, dusty note. If you are the type and can identify with a dry blood orange paired with woods and pepper, this is a good choice. I would also advise Terre d' Hermes lovers to take a test. Leon.
Did I expect too much?
Saw some reviews on the scent, so I thought I'd give it a try. It'll probably stick to the scent sample though. The scent smells good, no question about it, but somehow it didn't knock me out, it looks like an 0815 perfume to me. H/S is very strong in the beginning, but it fades relatively quickly. But worth testing, maybe it will convince you more.

GolcherGolcher 1 month ago
I regretted this blind buy, too medicinal for my taste but every time I wore it I got something different and new, it's now a solid LOVE
MeursaultMeursault 11 months ago
5.5
A chemical mess. Bitter-sweet, herbal, spicy with a weird latex smell. It's a no from me.
ItchynoseItchynose 11 months ago
5.5
Dry blood orange opening followed by a bitter & medicinal combo of orange blossom, lavender and moss. Masculine retro Geo. F. Trumper vibe.
LexaLexa 1 year ago
Very spicy,lots of cumin,lavender,woodsy notes,and some sweetness that might resemble BR540,but only in a small percent.Great tehnics.
ScentedGentScentedGent 1 year ago
Kalan is way too medicinal smelling for my tastes. Pass.
SmellGoodGuySmellGoodGuy 1 year ago
Maybe it's me, but I think I may pass on this one. Need to resample it...TBC...
FranknSenseFranknSense 1 year ago
There are 540 reasons to buy this perfume. On top of it it's a bit darker, dryer, woodier, more subtle and manlier than 540. A good option.

by LadyLuxifer
by Alex51091
by 3Lv3
by 3Lv3

Popular Parfums de Marly

Herod by Parfums de Marly Layton by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Pegasus Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly Galloway by Parfums de Marly Shagya by Parfums de Marly