Kalan by Parfums de Marly
Kalan is a popular perfume by Parfums de Marly for men and was released in 2019. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase.
Scent goes well with Spirito Fiorentino

Top Notes Top NotesBlood orangeBlood orange
Black pepperBlack pepper
SpicesSpices
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavenderLavender
Orange blossom absoluteOrange blossom absolute
Solar noteSolar note
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwoodSandalwood
MossMoss
Precious woodsPrecious woods
AmberAmber
Roasted tonka beanRoasted tonka bean

Submitted by MuffinXS, last update on 21.10.2021.

The better MFK BR540?
Opening: rough pepper coated with green moss. The blood orange floats in the background also with. Also the lavender is immediately Wahrnehmbar.

Drydown: After minutes, a light sweetness of the composition added. The tonka bean has arrived. Pepper and spices are still present. The olfactory composition is surrounded by barely perceptible amber and an indefinable wood chord.

Conclusion: Similarity to BR540? Yes by but Kalan is more peppery and edgier. This angularity can also be perceived as synthetic. Definitely the Kalan but is more masculine than BR540 although he still moves in the middle of the unisex spectrum.
A dream
My first review for a fragrance.
For THIS fragrance!

What do I find so special about Kalan or what does this fragrance remind me of?

When I was a little boy, I always thought my uncle was cool. He wore a leather jacket and was always freshly showered and smoking. When I smelled this scent, I was 7 years old again and saw my uncle standing next to me lighting up a cigarette.

What do I actually smell there? There exists no leather, no tobacco, no powdery anything.... and yet that's exactly what I smell!

For me, this is my absolute favorite scent. Better than Layton, better than Herod he is just what very special for me!

My wife smells the blood orange and the wood. We like this fragrance above average!

The spices, that peppery and sweet yet woody.... i love that kind of scents.

What do the others say?
Well, there are people in my environment I Him equally love and have bought and again others find him penetrating, but in no way unpleasant!

Absolute purchase recommendation on my part!
Artur163
There will be a lot of disagreements!
As already mentioned in the title, this fragrance is very ambivalent.
Some like it, others hate it.
For me personally, it is a very good, stable, extraordinaire fragrance that you may not understand at first smell.
The interplay of blood orange and pepper is perfected in this fragrance, in my opinion. It has something animalic, something unknown ... similar to Baccarat Rouge 540, which makes me smell this fragrance over and over again.
Try it ! This fragrance is for the virtuoso!
Jusch1995
Blood orange kisses pepper and lavender - exciting but strongly polarizing
Kalan opens with a very present blood orange, followed by lots of sweet notes. The opening of the fragrance can seem a bit tart at first, but then transitions into a gentle, even pleasure.
In the finish, the initially over-present blood orange fades and makes way for lavender, which is caressed by an orange blossom.

As the fragrance progresses, woods and moss join in. This is where the real potential of the fragrance ignites and its very polarizing quality in my opinion. The subtle blood orange is greatly affected by the moss, but is still noticeable. I know many people who dislike the moss note and therefore devalue the fragrance. Personally, I find that this is precisely what creates the distinctive character of the harmonious composition.

The fragrance has been criticized a lot, but slowly it gets the attention it deserves. In my opinion, it is a very unique and exciting composition that complements the range of Parfums de Marly wonderfully. Longevity and sillage are above average, the fragrance is ubiquitous in a good way. It is more suitable for colder seasons and casual wear, but with a bit of courage it can be worn in the office as well. The bottle is Marly-typically very noble and with its fiery red color a real eye-catcher on the shelf.

A fragrance for all who like sweet scents with a slightly fruity impact and feel attracted to woody notes. Absolutely (longer) test to understand him and give a chance. The top note may well be off-putting.
4.5
Parfums de Marly in the Ferrari
PdMs new fragrance was pretty hyped on the net.
I became aware of the fragrance through Jeremy Fragrance. From PdM I already own several fragrances. I love especially oriental and woody fragrances - and since PdM has some really good in the program.
Oajan, for example, is a very nice spicy oriental fragrance. Layton Exclusif I also find very successful.
In general, I had so far smelled nothing really bad from PdM.
Blood orange, pink pepper, spices, tonka bean, woods... all ingredients I like.
So I bought the Kalan blind! I had shot him cheap in Black Friday.
My first impression was positive:
With me, I take a citrusy, peppery opening after spraying, then come through balsamic, creamy nuances.
Relatively soon, tonka bean also appears on the fragrance stage.
Hm, and that's where I get into trouble.
The tonka bean is too present in the foreground for me. She brescht with the mallet through and then remains for hours.
The durability is very good, after a few hours, the fragrance already seems penetrating for me.
I find the Kalan difficult. Bad he is not, really good but for me also not.
Next to Byerley he forms my personal taillight in my PdM collection.
Also for PdM fans I advise absolutely: Buy sample before!
Sweaty, nasty tonka bean
The roasted tonka bean, which should actually appear properly only in the dry down has me in the top note already slain so that I was first really very turned off by the fragrance. Don't get me wrong, I love tonka bean in fragrances, but in Kalan it is so present probably amplified by the oriental spices that almost all other notes are completely drowned out. Reminds me a bit of a dirty, sweaty spice market. I have a hard time finding a "kind" of man (or woman, for example, I usually like to wear masculine fragrances) who would like this scent. He smells extremely provocative and requires really required taste, anything but a crowd pleaser (basically nothing bad but well).I love the bottle, but otherwise I can the fragrance unfortunately really nothing to gain. For me, a real failure in the men's Marlys.

Blood Red
This is the fourth PdM i tried, after the great trio Pegasus, Herod and Layton. The little perfumery i monthly visit suggested me Kalan and it was the commonly "love at first sniff". Nevertheless i totally understand how this fragrance can be polarizing, expecially for those who might have expected a smooth, refined and superbly well balanced concotion typical to PdM DNA. Kalan instead offers a different experience, with a scent that to me seems having two different souls, connected and fighting each other both. A strangely dark sweetness of the blood orange somehow tries to keep at bay a spicyness and earthyness that might otherwise be overwhelming, in a quite a long journey from the opening to the late drydown. During this evolution i've found the orange becoming less pungent while a creamier woody note takes some spices and earth away. I own decants of BR540 and IC (and i like them both very much) but i really do not think you can use any of those two to give an idea of how Kalan smells, like i read and heard. To my nose/brain instead, if i have to describe Kalan with a comparison, i'll rather use Terre d'Hermes, with its "concept of dirty orange" taken by Kalan to totally new hights in terms of power and contrast (and pleasure and joy imho). I'll like to add that Kalan can be versatile too, with the trigger letting you adjust to season and occasion.
Whatever it is, i've probably found my new signature scent!
PS this is my first review here, so please be good ;)

Of Fragrances and Men
Pretty harsh, with an extremely strong personality, combining warm spicy notes (especially a lot of cumin,so make sure you know what you're getting into) ,with warm amber, precious sandalwood and a beautiful aromatic lavender, Kalan is the perfume that through the harmony of the notes manages to remind of the famous and much loved Baccarat Rouge. A bit,not much,just a tease,like an old childhood friend,now mature enough to maybe make you think whether you two used to know eachother or not (but his face is sooo familiar though) .Unisex and versatile ,Kalan brings to the wearer a seductive, elegant and modern aura, turning heads everytime this particular man (or woman ,why not) passes through.
Even though Kalan is listed unisex,as i've already mentioned,a man would wear it better.Just my two cents.
DeReinermaen
OMG - I have to have that one!!!
My first review, forgive me if something goes wrong ;-)

So, there it is - KALAN!
My first real blind buy in the niche world.

I must confess, I have Ihn blindly treated, after long evaluation of reviews, which were quite positive as well as negative, finally came the 75 ml bottle at a good price to my home, I could not help it.

The mediocre packaging was first a downer, but when then the bright red bottle came to light, it didn't matter at all.
So far, really one of the most beautiful bottles for me in my collection :-) !!
Geile color, is good in the hand and the cap is really huge. (heavy)

With excitement hardly to hold, then the first spray on the left wrist.
OMG - WTF?!
First thought, that smells like freshly mixed limestone or concrete... shit, what did you buy there, that should be him? The so highly praised Kalan from the house Parfums de Marly?!
Fruitiness in the form of blood orange - missing, rather pepper- but full blast.
Well, give him a chance, I thought to myself.

Renewed spray right wrist and in the neck and off to work.
In the car on the way to work then suddenly, hmm, young nice, what right because there so pleasant, so special - ah that's me :-D ! All right, the colleague Kalan apparently needs time to unfold.

All day I noticed this beautiful fragrance and was just thrilled. It takes a bit, and you have to give him time (also vll 2-3 days) - but then he really pops and you start to like him.

It's hard to describe, but it does smell fruity at some point, but rather tart and muted. The limestone smell of the beginning is very strong there, goes with the time (after about 15min I would say) in the background and then unfolds Kalan completely and remains actually linear until the end the same.
Special and "Unique" I find Him definitely!!!
The durability is great and on the clothes you smell him even days later (and then wondered, man what is that for a nice fragrance??? Ah, Oh yes, all right - KALAN! Fortunately in my collection :-)

At the moment actually my signature fragrance. Love it!!! (Him)
Delijafrag33
The "You can't get in" scent...
Hello folks,

i think that the headline already reveals relatively much about my opinion of this fragrance.... I just hope that the headline is not too harsh or somehow discriminatory, because it should not be in any case...

I ordered a 2 ml sample of Kalan from a nice perfumo a few months ago and have worn and tested it a few times. At first I was not so negative, because he reminded me of the well-known fragrance of MFK, but over time my opinion has changed a bit.

Kalan starts with a dry blood orange, accompanied by a smell of burnt tires or scorched electrics, as it has been mentioned many times before. The scent seems kind of metallic and cool. It is sweet, but not PdM-typical through vanilla, as is the case with Layton, Herod or Pegasus. To me it also smells like lipstick and also has something of Baccarat Rouge, however I wouldn't call it a clone.

The fragrance is very artificial and you can smell little from the fragrance pyramid.
I have the feeling that one wanted to make here a dirtier Baccarat Rouge version for the "real man" and that is also by and large succeeded.

But...

Meanwhile I find Kalan just too artificial and pushy, going in a direction I can do very little with. It is for me a kind of perfume, like Joop Homme.... I don't mean a similarity here through the fragrance notes, but the intrusive sweetness. For me it's just too much "perfume" and too much of the sweet undefined something.... Little natural and very penetrating.

The color red also fits perfectly with the Kalan, because I see red when I smell it....

I also see an angular man with a lot of gel in his slicked back hair wearing a red shirt tucked into his black pants with a thick black leather jacket over it and black boots on his feet.... The red Corvette parked in front of his establishment also matches this scent perfectly.... I've never been to the Kiez, but somehow I imagine Kalan might be a well worn scent there.... I'm probably wrong here, but that's what goes through my head when I smell Kalan.

To me, this scent just represents something there that I am not and don't want to be.
A few weeks ago I put Kalan on without thinking much, ran down the stairs and met my nice neighbor again. :) I was just thinking afterwards, why of all days I had that scent on and what she will just think about me now.... :D

This fragrance I could imagine, if at all only outside, because it is just too penetrating and intrusive indoors.

Now I understand why this fragrance is so polarizing.... Some feel this kind of fragrances as very masculine, but I have other ideas and see it differently.

Kalan, that's why I say only one more sentence to you: "You do not come purely in my collection"! :D

MariaSMariaS 12 days ago
Bitter sweet spicy scent with BR540 DNA (not similar). Reminds me of men shampoo where they put a bitter/herbal note to make it smell manly.
Rmf1112Rmf1112 4 months ago
Similar to drydown in Oud For Greatness, caramelized spun sugar with a slight bitterness. I don’t see anything unpleasant about it on skin
ScentwitchScentwitch 9 months ago
This perfume smells powdery and bitter on my husband. It’s not a favorite for me.
GolcherGolcher 12 months ago
I regretted this blind buy, too medicinal for my taste but every time I wore it I got something different and new, it's now a solid LOVE
MeursaultMeursault 2 years ago
5.5
A chemical mess. Bitter-sweet, herbal, spicy with a weird latex smell. It's a no from me.
ItchynoseItchynose 2 years ago
5.5
Dry blood orange opening followed by a bitter & medicinal combo of orange blossom, lavender and moss. Masculine retro Geo. F. Trumper vibe.
ScentedGentScentedGent 2 years ago
Kalan is way too medicinal smelling for my tastes. Pass.
SmellGoodGuySmellGoodGuy 2 years ago
Maybe it's me, but I think I may pass on this one. Need to resample it...TBC...
FranknSenseFranknSense 2 years ago
There are 540 reasons to buy this perfume. On top of it it's a bit darker, dryer, woodier, more subtle and manlier than 540. A good option.

by Jusch1995
by Chris5ch
by 3Lv3
by 3Lv3

Popular Parfums de Marly

Layton by Parfums de Marly Herod by Parfums de Marly Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Oajan by Parfums de Marly Carlisle by Parfums de Marly Delina (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Pegasus by Parfums de Marly Godolphin by Parfums de Marly Percival by Parfums de Marly Sedley by Parfums de Marly Delina La Rosée by Parfums de Marly Safanad by Parfums de Marly Meliora by Parfums de Marly Habdan by Parfums de Marly Pegasus Exclusif by Parfums de Marly Greenley by Parfums de Marly Darley by Parfums de Marly Athalia by Parfums de Marly Nisean by Parfums de Marly