Maharanih Intense 2008

Maharanih Intense by Parfums de Nicolaï
Maharanih Intense is a popular perfume by Parfums de Nicolaï for women and was released in 2008. The scent is spicy-oriental. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesOrange, Galbanum
Heart Notes Heart NotesRose, Pelargonium, Carnation
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Labdanum

Submitted by Chemist, last update on 21.08.2020.

Contradiction upon contradiction
I get a completely different impression of Maharanih Intense than everyone else, apparently! I don't get a loud or rough opening at all, and not a not a sharp citrus/orange either. To me it opens very fresh and clean, sort of like a summer morning still with dew on the grass. It soon turns quite sweet, but still very clean. I don't usually combine sweetness with this type of cleanness, but this fragrance manages to do it. It makes me think of good soap. (I never found out what "soapy" means perfume-wise, so I don't dare say that). After about 4 hours I detect "summer spices" (does that even exist?) and the sweetness is now very faint, but definitely there still. Patchouli and civet discreetly sneak in through the back door. The patchouli is very, very discreet here, and the civet doesn't seem animalic at all. Another contradiction, how can civet not be animalic? well, that's how it is. An elegant civet? Don't get me wrong, I love civet, but it's not usually elegant in this discreet way - more bossy if it doesn't have that raw animalic vibe that most civets have. All in al very elegant. Warm, fresh, aloof. An impossible combination, I'd say. I would wear it mostly on not-too-warm summer days and it would be great for work. The longevity is amazing, about 10 hours! Sillage is discreet. I get whiffs when I move around, but I don't think others would notice it more than maybe a foot away. A very good blind swap!

Interesting oriental
Very strong, pungent top-notes of orange and galbanum. A short, loud blast. When when the topnotes vanish, a spicy heart consisting mainly of cloves and (artificial) civet which smells a bit like cumin plus a somewhat herbaceous aspect (lavender) come to the fore. I've tried very hard to love "Maharanih Intense", because I got it as a present from a Parisian friend of mine a few days ago. I've tried to convince myself of "Maharani's" originality. Yes, I told myself that its rare distribution, its utter "niche-ness" should be another asset. But the heart of this interesting oriental smells like the content of my cupboard of Indian spices mixed with a light and powdery rose plus a bit of carnation. The drydown is too strong on the civet for my taste, "amber" is hardly there and I still don't feel comfortable. In the end, a touch of sandalwood prevents "Maharanih Intense" from smelling like having spent a night surrounded by fumes from an Indian kitchen. To me, one of Patricia de Nicolai's weirdest perfumes.

rough ride
The basic sketch of this perfume (orange, lavender, and amber) could be steered in a number of directions. Those elements would suggest harmony to me. But then again I'm not Patricia de Nicolai. Maharanih is all about angles and contrasts. It's loud and actually rather rough. The contrasts are not so much intriguing as unresolved. The notes struggle against one another and never enhance each other.

The ongoing conflict means there's not a lot of development over the course of Maharanih. Loud and constant. Unfortunately, this gives Maharanih more the feel of a parfum d'ambiance than something you'd want to wear.

I find there's something similar both in tone and in composition between Maharanih and de Nocolai's Patchouli Homme. Their effect is that they sit on you, not that you wear them. I've never quite been able to wear them comfortably, though I've worn each a good number of times.

by Tnahowru
by Tnahowru
by EvaK
by EvaK

Popular Parfums de Nicolaï

New York Intense by Parfums de Nicolaï New-York by Parfums de Nicolaï Sacrebleu Intense by Parfums de Nicolaï Sacrebleu (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Nicolaï Patchouli Intense / Patchouli Homme by Parfums de Nicolaï Vie de Château Intense by Parfums de Nicolaï Mimosaique by Parfums de Nicolaï L'Eau miXte by Parfums de Nicolaï Vanille Tonka by Parfums de Nicolaï Ambre Cashmere Intense by Parfums de Nicolaï Number One Intense by Parfums de Nicolaï Maharadjah by Parfums de Nicolaï Odalisque by Parfums de Nicolaï Le Temps d'Une Fête by Parfums de Nicolaï Kiss Me Tender by Parfums de Nicolaï Eau d'Été by Parfums de Nicolaï Week-End in Normandy / Week-End à Deauville (2011) by Parfums de Nicolaï Vie de Chateau by Parfums de Nicolaï Nicolaï pour Homme by Parfums de Nicolaï Cuir Cuba Intense by Parfums de Nicolaï