New-York by Parfums de Nicolaï

New-York is a popular perfume by Parfums de Nicolaï for men and was released in 1989. The scent is spicy-citrusy. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesLemon, Lemon petitgrain, Bergamot, Thyme, Mugwort
Heart Notes Heart NotesBlack pepper, Clove, Cinnamon, Lavender, Chamomile
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Vanilla, Styrax, Frankincense, Musk, Civet, Castoreum

Submitted by Chemist, last update on 20.10.2019

7.0 8.0 9.5/10

Hesperide Schizophrenia
Clothes make the man. Fragrances make the man. Who could sign that before us? The spearhead of good fragrance. Our current candidate falls into the category of modern chypre or classic classics. A contradiction. Not at all. Patricia de Nicolaï has achieved the art of combining tradition with modernity in the most beautiful way, creating a creation that will delight both lovers of the old school and friends of a modern fragrance. So accompany me on a short journey into the depths of an extraordinary fragrance.
Citric we begin the olfactory journey. It immediately becomes clear that it is a classic for gentlemen or those who think they are. Classic, but not old-fashioned. On the contrary.
Lavender and pepper also report immediately to clarify where the journey leads. All finely balanced. Nothing sticks out in the nose or stands out unpleasantly. Towards the end, a mossy musk base awaits us, how else could it be? The course is actually linear. Most of the ingredients reach my nose immediately, as with many old classics. Still, it has a history. However, this does not refer to the ingredients, but to the impression it makes on me. The longer I wear it, the more comfortable I feel. He has a lot of puff and you can see him clearly.
Not pushy or too loud. Absolutely distinguished, though not British. The bottle and the outer packaging are very beautiful and an ornament of every collection, there is an Intense version, but in my eyes it is much worse. It simply lacks this incredible brilliance that makes this fragrance so extraordinary.

Feel like it?

I hope so. Should it ever come across you as a rehearsal or bottling, I wish you lots of fun with yourself. A warning, however, at the end: The grin, while enjoying this beauty, lasts quite a long time. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Your Jakobolino
8.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

MkCb
"Pooh, you smell like grandpa!"
Yes, I know, dear mum, dear dad, dear friends and colleagues, dear world, I heard you - New York smells like grandpa - Yes. Yes. Yes. The memo of the world's lamenting has reached me. But you want me to tell you something?

It's ma vui blunzn!

I LOVE this fragrance.

Between lemon cake and animalism, somehow old-schoolig, but (in my eyes) completely new.
Fresh, but deep. New, but classy. The whole year at any time wearable and that also still to each cause. Whether with a white T-shirt in summer (moderately used), or in a suit at a gala in winter.
One thing is for sure: with this fragrance you are (almost) always perfectly dressed in an olfactory way (only exception: going out in the club).

In my opinion the fragrance hardly changes, but this is in no way tragic. Many notes are given, but mainly I smell:
- Lemon (but not the WC spray type)
- Spices (cinnamon and clove)
- Something "cute", slightly sweet
- Animalic (Styrax, beaver horny, musk and civet)
- Oak moss

New York stays with me the whole day, about 8 hours, also I smell him during the whole 8h at me. Would therefore exercise caution when applying, especially in summer.

Last but not least even Luca Turin, the ugly biophysicist, gave this one here (+ the Intense Version) 10/10 and said if he went to a desert island, that would be the scent he took with him.
Whether one gives weight to the word of this God of the perfume world, appointed by the community, is left to everyone. The good man has a huge specialist knowledge, although I contradict him more than I agree - everything is in the eye of the beholder. Here, however, he's absolutely right.

New York is fantastic.
5.0 5.0 7.5 8.0/10

A sparkling citrus-spicy-oriental
New York is, in a way, a skillfully executed study on certain facets of Guerlain's Habit Rouge. I feel as if both the citrus opening as well as the oriental-like dry-down have been reinterpreted, while constructing a completely different heart, resulting in a completely different perfume altogether, even genre-wise.
Both New York and Habit Rouge open with strong, lemony citrus not unlike e.g. Chanel's Pour Monsieur. Imagine a burp through your nose after having a sip of 7UP. Out of the three, New York somehow maintains that soda-like feel along its development. It doesn't turn into a bouquet of christmassy spices like HR, nor turns itself into a chypre as Chanel's PM does. Instead, the heart is dominated with sweet pepper (capsicum) and cloves. Call me silly, but I like like to think of NY's pepper note specifically as yellow sweet pepper.
Like said, I find the dry-down somewhat similar to Habit Rouge's. However, an autobiographical reference smell with even more accurate resemblance would be something we used to buy from a prank shop when I was a kid. I doubt anyone's familiar with the product, but there used to be a sort of putty or plasticine used for make-up, which had very distinctive powdery-vanillic smell. That's pretty much exactly the smell of de Nicolaï's New York after a couple of hours' skin time.
As I've lately grown into Habit Rouge, I've grown out of New York.

...oh yeah, my current bottle was purchased in 2011 - I don't know when the supposed reformulation has taken place, but mine smells great nevertheless.
10.0/10

new york
this review its for the vintage version one of the most elegant,classy and gorgeous scent ,this frag can't b missed by any collector or perfumista ,i really loved it since the first time i've the luck to smell it .and today i was so lucky to find 3 bottles of the vintage version in a little niche perfumery store ... you cannot even imagine the great smile in my face when the seller told me we sell this with 50 % discount :-))))))
2.5 10.0 10.0 8.0/10

Drseid
Don't Know Why Its Named New York, But A Fine Scent Regardless...
Extremely well-made scent by PdN. New York starts off with a blast of enticing orange and lemon and then completely changes direction an hour or so later. It then turns into a very dry and sharp powdery scent that is a bit less enticing, but still very distinct. I rarely notice such a sharp evolution of a scent on my skin as I did here. Also of note for those interested is New York has been a real compliment getter and seems to have some very good sillage and longevity. Bottom line is New York may not be groundbreaking, but it is so well-polished, pleasant smelling and high quality that it is an easy "buy" recommendation to all with a rating of 4 out of 5 stars in its vintage form.

jtd
I used to live in New York. de Nicolai used to make a gorgeous fragrance named New York.
New York, along with Shalimar, Guerlains's Vetiver, Cuir de Lancome, Knize Ten and Diorella are my most frequently worn perfumes. Makes me feel a bit stodgy when I look at it, but classical perfumery appeals to me. I do think I have a fairly catholic sense of classicism, though. I find the best of Etat Libre classically formal in construction. Lutens reinvents classical, and most of the Piguet line absolutely venerates the classical. New York has never done me wrong. When I crave it, it satisfies. When I'm uncertain what I want to wear and put on New York, it's like an olfactory moment of kensho.

New York's secret weapon, besides its utterly flawless evolution is its powder. Powder is often mentioned in the context of the old-lady perfumes, tedious dandy fragrances, uninspired aldehydic fragrances. But New York's powder is gunpowder. It is a bitter, powdery dustiness made even darker by orange/bergamot resinousness.

Chypre? Oriental? Powdery Wood? I'd probably give you a different answer on any given day. Like the best perfumes, New York has a deliberate ambiguity that makes it seem less elusive than actually alive.

Update: Seeing Luca Turin’s note in the “Little Book” I tried the most recent iteration.

Light orange cologne. Heartbreaking.
5.0 7.5 10.0 9.0/10

Lemonlavenderamber in an ashtray
After heaving worn New York for three days in a row now (a record for me) I feel reasonably qualified to write a comment on this scent.
I had ordered a sample of this scent at AlzD about half a year ago. I found it interesting, but I think I was not ready yet for the smokiness and the patchouli notes. A bit to butch for me I thought. I gave the sample to my brother who didn't particularly like it.
Last week-end I met this scent again at Wuchsa's and judged it as very good and definitely bottle-worthy. Those around and the boss himself approved that it was delicious on me and I bought it spontaneously (what I normally avoid doing, especially when I try lots of scents at a time).
Well, now I have been wearing NY for three days in a row, which I usually don't do either, need I say more?

So, what does it smell like?

In the beginning I get above all lavender and lemon. From the beginning there is a touch of sweetness (amber) and some earthy patchouli. After a while patchouli, amber, leather and woods merge to something that reminds me of an ashtray. Sounds disgusting, but it is not. Maybe a cold pipe would be a better way to describe it. I don't find a better comparison to this earthy-smoky accord. This accord with some sweetness, some spices and the rest of the herbal lavender and a very long lasting lemon note from the beginning settle to a highly delicious scent, which lasts all day.
I would like to smell this scent on a guy, which doesn't mean a woman can't pull it off. Well, at least I wear it! On my skin the amber provides some soft sweetness as a counterpoint to the pungency of the lemon. The smoke makes it round. Therefore, it is smooth enough for a woman. Although being a bit sweet (depending on the temperature!) and rich, it's not too heavy or cloying to my nose. It keeps some transparency and airiness, which makes it elegant.
It is perfect for autumn and winter.
Some compare it to Pour Monsieur by Chanel (and some to Bois du Portugal). I think, they share some DNA, but not that much after all. NY is warmer and sweeter. PM doesn't have lavender, but more lemon and cardamom. NY has patchouli, while PM oakmoss. The lavender gives a slight fougère caracter to NY being classified as an oriental chypre, while I would not call PM an oriental but a citric chypre.
Now compared to New York: I see similarities regarding the pungent citrus note combined with amber. But New York is much softer and smoother, Portugal more pungent, more brutal.
I love and own these three scents (well, just a decant of BdP). They are different enough to own them all. I imagine that people who like PM might like New York (and Équipage) for winter (like I do).
The projection and longevity are very good. Three spritzes are more than sufficient for 10 hrs in the office. Two would do as well, but three is more fun ;)

OPomone 4 years ago
The most Parisian fragrance on earth is called New-York. Go figure.
Masterpiece? Rather try New York Intense for such query.+5