Patchouli Intense Patchouli Homme 2009 Eau de Parfum

Patchouli Intense / Patchouli Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Nicolaï
Patchouli Intense is a popular perfume by Parfums de Nicolaï for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is spicy-earthy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesLavenderLavender
CistusCistus
FrankincenseFrankincense
AmberAmber
MuskMusk

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 26.01.2022.

In addition to the name change to "Patchouli Intense" an increase of the concentration to an Eau de Parfum was also done.

Intensely Gorgeous!
Gorgeous Fragrance! I first encountered Patchouli Intense while sampling the offerings of NICOLAÏ PARFUMEUR-CREATEUR and soon I purchased 30 ml bottles of Patchouli Intense, New York Intense, Cuir Cuba Intense, and Neroli Intense. All Patricia de Nicolaï’s creations are beautiful and each have unique character. Patchouli Intense is a much loved all-time favorite of mine. Patchouli Intense by Nicolaï is like walking through a blooming manicured garden on an early spring morning at first light as frost dusts the ground – your senses awakened to the announcement of new life and a new season as the sun breaks over the horizon and the dark spices of winter linger closely by. PI is enchanting, regal, and alluring.

I recall the first compliment I received wearing Patchouli Intense. I was in Washington DC on business early February 2019. While preparing to leave the hotel for the conference, I walked to the front lobby to request the car and grab coffee. The early February morning was cold, windy, but sunny. While returning to the elevator, I passed a woman walking her small white dog. I noticed her to the side as she grabbed up the pup like a handbag and quickly made her way behind me to get on the elevator. She promptly asked, "Sir, may I ask what you are wearing? You smell amazing!" I smiled and replied, "Thank you! It's Patchouli Intense by Patricia de Nicolaï." If I remember correctly, the pooch was less than amused but the encounter was memorable for me.

Back to the fragrance: scent: 10/10 with exceptional durability and sillage.
Patchouli with a difference
Patchouli Intense is for me an exceptional fragrance among patchouli fragrances. Because while most patchouli fragrances show an earthy and often also sweetish agreement, which sometimes seem a bit grungy and often create associations with incense-stick-laden hippie shop aromas, the patchouli fragrance created by Patricia Nicolai is characterized by an exquisite elegance, which I have not yet encountered.

So far, I know about a dozen of her fragrances and if I discover a commonality again and again, it is exactly this noble and subtle elegance that is found in all her fragrances again. This may not be surprising insofar as she grew up as the niece of the legendary Jean-Paul Guerlain in a perfume dynasty, which is rightly still one of the most established fragrance houses today.

After training as a perfumer, she first gained practical experience by working with international perfumers on behalf of renowned fragrance houses. In 1989, she finally founded her own label together with her husband and immediately one of the first creations from her hand, New York, is considered by the renowned biophysicist and perfume connoisseur Luca Turin as one of the greatest fragrances in perfume history.

I mean, Patchouli Intense is right up there with New York. Declared as a unisex fragrance today, in my mind's eye I see a wearer in an evening gown and stilettos or a wearer in a fine tailored suit and welted leather shoes. The scent goes as little with sneakers and hoodie as caviar goes with tomato ketchup.

Patchouli Intense opens with a combination of lavender and a viscous orange concentrate, which leads to the fact that the lavender is deprived of the typical herbaceous-green note and the orange, the fruity-tangy citrusiness is taken. In other words, neither the lavender nor the orange are easily recognizable, but together they create an independence that I have never smelled in this form. Whenever I have a hard time identifying and dissecting individual scents, I know that a high level of understanding for the ingredients and artistic master craftsmanship come together here, inspiring a professional as much as a layman like me.

I am quite honest, I would have had to make out individual fragrance notes in a blind test, I would have recognized at best the rose geranium. For me, the most masculine of all flowers, as it is rather aromatic-spicy in appearance, rather than being floral. It also bears no resemblance to rose fragrances, although the rose is also used here without being overtly recognizable. And the eponymous patchouli? As already mentioned at the beginning, no earthiness for me, nothing animal-frisky and probably more fixateur than an independent dominant fragrance note to be.

The additional designation "Intense" seems justified to me. Patchouli Intense is a powerful and persistent fragrance that I tend to think of as being on the masculine side. This is not surprising in that the fragrance before it was changed to the EdP variant, originally appeared as an eau de toilette under the name "Patchouli Homme". Nevertheless, I am sure that also very many ladies could find pleasure in the fragrance.

For me, the fragrance is a masterpiece, created for the great moments of life, but that does not stop me from enjoying it again and again alone for me.

Intense Nicolai
I was wondering if fortune would smile on me again with another blind buy from Nicolai. My patchouli crush had me excited to try this but boy was I in for a surprise. I hope you enjoy the review and thank you as always for watching.

PATCHOULI INTENSE by Parfums de Nicolaï
Patchouli Homme's popularity among men remains quite solid. This fragrance gained increasing interest with women shortly after its introduction in 2009. Women's discovery of Patchouli Homme's unisex nature, and the subsequent popularity it generated, has caused Parfum de Nicolaï to rename the fragrance Patchouli Intense. Removing "Homme" from the name will allow the marketing of the fragrance to both genders without exclusion. I'm giving you fair warning: Patchouli Homme, now Patchouli Intense, is not your typical heady patchouli.

Patchouli Intense has Patricia de Nicolaï's widely recognized signature opening of candied orange – sweet, yet sophisticated. This creation benefits from Nicolaï being a member of the famous Guerlain perfumer family. A sharp, proper, Victorian-styled lavender fraternizes with the sweet, candied orange, creating a satisfying fruity herbal blend. The balance of this opening is sprinkled with spicy cinnamon, generating the illusion of a mild masculine demeanor. Pelargonium is cleverly used as a intermediary between the top and heart notes. This dainty flower has a rose-like nature and occasional citrus overtones. It is the perfect introduction to a vibrant, yet understated rose heart. This rose is Turkish, fresh, subtly green, spicy and ever so softly sweet. Finally, patchouli makes its stage debut, alongside its collaborators rose and sandalwood. This sometimes dangerous trio can result in the typical heady aroma negatively associated with patchouli-based fragrances. The patchouli in Patchouli Intense is alive and energetic without the usual dank and depressing sentiment. This lively energy is what really drew me in when first catching a whiff of Patchouli Intense. The intrinsic fresh and green nature of this patchouli makes the heart of Patchouli Intense shine. Just a touch of warming amber and a light smoky leatheriness give this fragrance just the right amount of character without spoiling its energetic nature. "Where is the patchouli?" has been a frequently asked question by others sampling Patchouli Intense. Rest assured, the patchouli is there and cleverly concealed behind a sheer veil of rose, fused with a woody Oriental base. I know that for some, it's incredibly hard to recognize patchouli when it doesn't smell like a dungeon.

I have been searching for a patchouli fragrance that was distinct and unconventional. The satisfaction that Patchouli Intense brings makes me believe that my search is over. (That is until the next great patchouli creation comes along.) Patchouli Intense has filled the chasm in a valley of hippy dippy, run-of-the-mill, mucky patchouli fragrances. This is a satisfying daytime fragrance but also just as adaptable for a casual evening situation. The longevity of Patchouli Intense is amazing, lasting over 12 hours without giving up on it freshness or bright character. Patchouli Intense remains a favorite with patchouli lovers, both men and women alike, and will probably remain just as popular regardless of its new identity.

trust
I’ve read in the press and can even smell in the fragrance that Patchouli Homme has notes of patchouli, rose, geranium. I don’t so much get the amber and vanilla people refer to. But for all the world, PH smells to me like getting hit in the nose. It you’ve ever been punched or smacked your nose, you might have experienced a similar smell/feeling that is like nothing else I’ve ever smelled. It feels crunchy, smells a little celery-salty, and I imagine it results from trauma to olfactory receptors and not really from aroma. But given the nature of the nose, I experience it as a scent.

Patchouli Homme is this smack-in-the-nose scent and rose geranium. I’m really working on this one and trying to find my way to it, since I trust Patricia de Nicolai’s nose more than my own and just love her work in general. But I’m not there yet.

Maybe more to follow.

KuraiKurai 9 months ago
The opening is all over the place, florals, herbs, musk, spice, fruit. The patchouli that follows is herbal, leathery and overall complex
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 2 years ago
A very pronounced spicy floral Fall fragrance, balanced by a soft warm earthy-woody base; patchouli nicely in the background. 100% unisex!

by Rivegauche
by Rivegauche
by Venusia
by Venusia

Popular Parfums de Nicolaï

New York Intense by Parfums de Nicolaï New-York by Parfums de Nicolaï Sacrebleu Intense by Parfums de Nicolaï Sacrebleu (Eau de Parfum) by Parfums de Nicolaï Vie de Château Intense by Parfums de Nicolaï Mimosaique by Parfums de Nicolaï Ambre Cashmere Intense by Parfums de Nicolaï L'Eau miXte by Parfums de Nicolaï Vanille Tonka by Parfums de Nicolaï Eau de Yuzu by Parfums de Nicolaï Number One Intense by Parfums de Nicolaï Néroli Intense by Parfums de Nicolaï Maharanih Intense by Parfums de Nicolaï Maharadjah by Parfums de Nicolaï Odalisque by Parfums de Nicolaï Cap Néroli by Parfums de Nicolaï Kiss Me Tender by Parfums de Nicolaï Cuir Cuba Intense by Parfums de Nicolaï Le Temps d'Une Fête by Parfums de Nicolaï Week-End in Normandy / Week-End à Deauville (2011) by Parfums de Nicolaï