Vie de Château Intense (2008)

Vie de Château Intense by Parfums de Nicolaï

Vie de Château Intense is a popular perfume by Parfums de Nicolaï for women and men and was released in 2008. The scent is spicy-green. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Grapefruit, Thyme, Tarragon
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Vetiver, Patchouli, Tobacco, Hay

Submitted by Chemist, last update on 06.11.2019

9.0 9.0 8.5/10

Nicolaï makes children happy
A bag of fruit jelly right after opening. The one with the worms. Different colours. Red, green, yellow, orange, blue. Citric, fruity, berry. A tingling mishmash. Nature, especially hay, doesn't remind me of anything here. Grapefruit? I'm in the fruit turmoil somewhere. Tickles a little here and there. Honeydew melon more like it. Flowers? Yeah, sure, if they're fruity. Herbaceous, harsh or green associations don't want to appear. It doesn't matter. My surprise certainly stems from the fact that my sense of smell is largely influenced by the familiar group of green, herbaceous Eichenmoosler and that now, on less familiar terrain, I run across a 'fruity chypre', a combination that is new to me. If I came from the fruit gum direction, the chyprecharakter would notice me surely also more clearly. But the scent meets my taste, so Patricia de Nicolaï must have put in the things that I like.

A cheerful pick-me-up she has succeeded. Light-hearted, warm and with interesting fruit spices that alternate between citrus-fresh and juicy berry nuances. Roses could help refine the fruit sweetener, as could jasmine. Tobacco, oakmoss or herbs are certainly also distributed on the barn floor, which is brightly illuminated by the sun. The hay bales are stacked high on top of each other. A wonderful climbing and playground. But you don't pay attention to all that when you see a bag of fruit jelly that somebody must have prepared as a 'snack'.

Many thanks to the dear Dufttsucht for the sample.
10.0 7.0 7.0 9.0/10

Oops, I did it again!
From now on, always blindly souvenir? Yes, that would actually be the consequence I would have to draw from my latest outrage in blind buying (but certainly only this very last time...)! Because if I hadn't struck, I would have missed a very special scent - and that would have been a shame.
But from the beginning: Package arrives and, as always, is opened with this very special mixture of anticipation and a bad conscience - a feeling that creeps up on me when I break the rule I have imposed on myself: FIRST test, then buy, violate.
The first spray of course lands immediately on my wrist and pooh, Wäääh, what is that????? I wrinkle my nose and even consider that the scent could be tilted, so violently a herbaceous top note stings me in the nose. For me it smells like lovage or dill - it is not bitter-green, but a little sweetish. The pyramid reveals: Tarragon and yes, I can believe that too. I take the precaution of taking my nose a little further away from my wrist and HOLLA, what is that? Within practically seconds the fragrance is quite simply spoken: wonderful!
Herbaceous, mossy, green, spicy, a hint of balsamic. For me, however, the component in the middle of the green beauty of the forest is something that I search in vain in the pyramid: sage. And it is bedded in hay: a freshly opened pack of high-quality hay-flower teas, with fresh sage leaves lightly ground in the middle. Vetiver - which I love - and tobacco - which I fear - support the fragrance - the oak moss is very delicate and almost fluffy for my nose. I've never smelled a fragrance with that special hay vetiver tobacco oakmoss note before.
It is an unusual and eye-catching fragrance, but still wearable. It is certainly wonderful for men - but also for women, provided one is not fixated on powdery-sweet.
"For me, "Vie de Château Intense" is a natural fragrance, but not dreamy-soft, but original and blunt. But not harsh or rough, but carried warm by this wonderful hay note. By the way, the scent doesn't even have a daisy in it for me - and I think that's a good thing! Meanwhile, after wearing it three times and spraying it x times in my enthusiasm, I also love the impetuous beginning - and advise all testers not to be deterred by it!

PS: My husband, who rarely comments on fragrances I wear, was VERY taken with and sniffed every time he entered the room. Let's see, maybe I'll share the new sweetheart too.... sometime...

jtd
Grimy freshness, the implicit goal of the citrus chypre.
Vie de Chateau Intense tucks neatly into the citrus chypre genre, with connections to Diorella, Eau Sauvage (compare the very first sniff of each side by side!), Moustache and its own sibling Weekend a Deauville. It has that fresh sophistication that citrus chypres tend to have.

VdC’s smart twist, though, is that it has a strong note of hay that ties it directly to the fougère and indirectly to leather chypres. The hay note is a bit nut-like at first, but eventually pulls VdC toward a dry dark, base that is the perfect conclusion to the crisp yet disenchanted spirit of the best citrus chypres.

by LadyViolet