L'Esprit Divin 2014

L'Esprit Divin by Paul Emilien
L'Esprit Divin is a perfume by Paul Emilien for women and men and was released in 2014. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Paul Emilien

SandalwoodSandalwood
Indonesian patchouliIndonesian patchouli
NagarmothaNagarmotha
Precious woodsPrecious woods
French violet leafFrench violet leaf
MuskMusk
Base Notes Base NotesTurkish roseTurkish rose
AmberAmber
MuskMusk
Spanish labdanumSpanish labdanum
TobaccoTobacco
SpicesSpices

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 02.11.2021.

Grapefruit
Peppery, gingery, musky grapefruit that developes dry spicey with some vague woody notes.

This is another perfume where I find the grapefruit dominates and swamps from beginning to end. Were it not for this (whatever is used to give a grapefruit) note I think I would quite like L'Esprit Divin.

I tested this on and off from June 2015 through to October 2015 looking for a rose scent. The powerful grapefruit note unbalances this creation for me and mine but we all smell what we smell so I am 'back to the drawing board'.

Testing, testing, one, two, three.
Purchased decant samples from June 2015 through to October 2015

Half-baked niche
Another rollercoaster, half-baked niche scent – nice at first, “meh” after a while, “please hand me the soap” on the early drydown, “no, wait, it’s nice again” on the very drydown. The opening is fascinating without doubts, much darker and thicker than I expected: I get dark dry woods, a sort of odd and intriguing camphorous-resinous note which I have no clue about what it may be due to (maybe what I call “resinous”, actually a slight fruity feel, can be due to sandalwood – and what I consider “camphorous” can be rosewood and musk), amber, a really gloomy smoky patchouli, the same – and again, dark – musky-bitter dry violet leaves note as you find in Narciso for Him, a hint of iris (smelling quite synthetic and mild, but it seems more “functional” here, just to provide some dusty softness) and a really well balanced load of spices. Which is a true “load”, but it doesn’t smell overwhelming or annoying as often spices tend to do for me when used so massively; I think the green and powdery counterparts are cleverly used to tame spices down, without “covering” them. Cloves (almost leathery) and nutmeg above all, blending with patchouli to echo some old school herbal fougères. Quite a bold blend overall: dry, smoky and exotic, decidedly on the dark side for me. Sadly I think the evolution is a bit disappointing as l’Esprit Divin progressively leans too much on the dry-spicy side, with an increasingly powerful and increasingly irritating rubbery-tar note smelling exactly like hot tires. It’s there at the beginning too actually, but smelling more mild and tamed down as there’s something better on top of it – once the nicer notes and nuances vanish, here it is in its annoying unrequested glory. I think it’s due to the respective evolutions of woods, spices and musk all weirdly melting together. Or whatever it is – I really don’t enjoy that. Still, there’s yet room for a change; that rubberiness decreases a bit at some point, leaving the stage to a more enjoyable spicy-incense drydown with mellow powdery-rose nuances. Still rubbery, but way less than before, and more as if there was some synthetic oud. And so remains for some hours, basically the drydown of an oud-spicy-rose-incense scent. Overall nice, with a couple of “faux pas”.

6,5/10

Popular Paul Emilien

Chaleur Gitane by Paul Emilien Souffle Intime by Paul Emilien Carrousel by Paul Emilien Cuir Rustique by Paul Emilien Gardénia Tropical by Paul Emilien Vétiver Indien by Paul Emilien Orchidée Charnelle by Paul Emilien Première Danse by Paul Emilien Pure Addiction by Paul Emilien Musc Angélique by Paul Emilien L'Ombre des Hommes by Paul Emilien Une Belle Journée by Paul Emilien Jeune et Frivole by Paul Emilien Vent d'Orient by Paul Emilien Suite Royale by Paul Emilien