Design by Paul Sebastian
Design is a perfume by Paul Sebastian for women and was released in 1985. The scent is floral-sweet. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesLilacLilac HoneysuckleHoneysuckle JasmineJasmine RoseRose Ylang-ylangYlang-ylang
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnationCarnation Citrus notesCitrus notes
Base Notes Base NotesWoody notesWoody notes Musky notesMusky notes

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 19.11.2019.

Briarthorn
Better after the reformulation, a good buy
This is the latest formulation I could find of this. It's still very affordable and I believe it has greatly improved it's general appeal for a larger number of people.

Design opens strong with a very sweet punch. It's not a gourmand, edible sweetness but a more floral sweet with a heavy peach and current touch. I was surprised. It's not the civet bomb I remember and there is no soap, no sharpness and no powder from the white flowers. I like this smooth and almost creamy take on white flowers. I've never been as thrilled by heavy soap or sharpness. The florals in the opening are mainly honeysuckle and tuberose but the sweetness is intense, just walking the line between alarming and eccentric.

After an hour or so the sweetness has faded and I'm left with a lovely smooth and silky honeysuckle dominated white bouquet over a sweet musky sandalwood base. The peach and current aren't "notes" so much as impressions now, lending their sweetness to a clean musk. It's warm and almost comforting. I don't detect any civet or really any anamalic hints at all. I'm also not getting that peppery bite of carnation I remember. I am really enjoying wearing it. I also like that honeysuckle is the main star here. This is a floral that is very under-represented in my wardrobe and this is a good use of it.

The dry down is very much like the heart. There is not very much evolution here. The sandalwood is a bit more prominent. It's smooth and creamy over that sweet musky base. Lovely. The Gardenia becomes the dominant flower in the dry down. It actually begins to almost shout in a creamy, coconutty, kinda sweet way. I didn't expect this. I really noticed it about 9 hours after application. I love gardenia, so this is a good thing.

This didn't become a skin scent until well after 9 hours and I was still catching snatches of it up to 14 hours later. Overall the scent wears very well and doesn't fall apart at the end. It's well blended and not at all what I was expecting from the bottle design. I didn't realize I made judgments on a scent just by looking at the bottle until this scent surprised me. A great buy for the price, just use a light hand because it really has a big reach.

Flavorite
Big Time, So Much Larger Than Life!
This was my signature scent freshman year of college. To be honest I only owned three scents at that time: Lumiere by Rochas, China Rain Musk by Terra Nova and this Powerhouse of Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Rose, Ylang-ylang. I never remember it smelling musky to my nose, in fact I had an aversion and discarded my Ysatis, Magie Noire, Fendi by Fendi, Laura Ashley No.1 and Paco Rabanne Met?l (I know, don't say it...I would give my useless bachelor's degree in Psychology to have all those original bottles back). When I smell this now in the shops, I can't believe I ever pulled this off. Design is intensely white floral with excellent sillage and a 'you-better-call-me-back-or-I'll-have-the-whole-sorority-on-your-case!' attitude. This is unapologetically feminine and a true signature scent on par with "Eternity", "Lauren" and "Poison". I suppose it would now be perfectly suitable for any woman ages 16-116. Sniffing Design immediately transports me back to a time and a place that, honestly, I'd rather not return to, maybe that is why I initially gave it such a low over-all ranking, but I have applaud it's Joie de Vivre and youthful exuberance and I have to chuckle at the scene of being so young and carefree wearing this Floral Monster Bomb, black tights, Dock Martins and a black stretchy mini skirt, showing up with great thinkers to have a serious discussion about Edgar Allen Poe and Elizabeth Barrett Browning and probably falling asleep during the greatest lectures of my education.

Lipstick
This has a Strong Siliage of Civet
it just dominates this perfume it has a
Waxy Lipstick kind of a scent it drowns
out the other scents.

Popular by Paul Sebastian

PS (Eau de Cologne) by Paul Sebastian Casual by Paul Sebastian Casual for Men (Cologne) by Paul Sebastian Tribecca by Paul Sebastian V.S.O.P. (Cologne) by Paul Sebastian Funky Sexy Cool Design by Paul Sebastian Onyx by Paul Sebastian Design for Men (Cologne) by Paul Sebastian Kinetic by Paul Sebastian Silver by Paul Sebastian V.S.O.P. (After Shave) by Paul Sebastian Brownstone by Paul Sebastian Temzo by Paul Sebastian PS (After Shave Lotion) by Paul Sebastian Casual for Men (After Shave) by Paul Sebastian Design for Men (After Shave) by Paul Sebastian