PS 1979 Eau de Cologne

PS (Eau de Cologne) by Paul Sebastian
PS (Eau de Cologne) is a popular perfume by Paul Sebastian for men and was released in 1979. The scent is spicy-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesLavenderLavender
SageSage
Heart Notes Heart NotesMugwortMugwort
Base Notes Base NotesMuskMusk
MyrrhMyrrh
PatchouliPatchouli
SandalwoodSandalwood
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 01.01.2022.

Fine indeed
After looking at the notes listed here and then looking on Fragrantica the notes there are totally different. How does that happen? Anyway it's another big time fragrance from the 1970s. The longevity is said to be above average but i disagree. On my skin i only get about 5hrs max, and that's only average at best. However the scent is spicy nice and as usual I picked up a vintage bottle. At least that's what it's supposed to be. Sometimes it's very difficult to identify a vintage bottle from a current one but i always chance it. I have both versions. The longevity and the scent is nearly the same. It's dirt cheap and it can be found just about anywhere. I like it

Terente
Not exactly how I expected, but still nice
I met it for a while, but without having the occasion to test it. I decided to buy it, especially because I found it at 22 euros for 240 ml bottle. The smell of this is outstanding in opening, but mediocre in drydown. Musk, floral, spices is what i get. It's well blended and for its times (1979) maybe it could be called FINE COLOGNE. It's still Fine, but surely dated. For me it smells like a good mix of Aramis and Old Spice. The performances disappointed me: not so long lasting as other people say and i tested it not only on skin, but also on clothes/blotters. Maybe I am anosmic to its components?

An american tale
Paul Sebastian was an American fashion brand launched in 1979 by Leonard Paul Cuozzo and Alan Sebastian Greco. Cuozzo was a perfume addict and created a masculine fragrance that he wanted to kick off in the market. For that he needed a commercial expert associate and established a partnership with Greco, who was the commercial director of a large company. This was how Cuozzo & Greco was formed, which marketed the perfume created by Grecco in the New Jersey area beginning the distribution with three renowned men's clothing stores. The perfume was named "Paul Sebastian", the middle names of the two partners. The fragrance quickly achieved enormous success and its distribution was extended to several hundred stores in several American states.
Cuozzo & Greco has also innovated commercially by channeling marketing budgets to create a direct relationship with its partner's, the specialized fashion stores. Another novelty was to create the "gift with purchase" concept, namely pieces of fine porcelain that matched the perfume promoted and the target market segment.
Paul Sebastian Inc. was sold to FFI (Elizabeth Arden.) in 1999 by Cuozzo & Greco, but the perfumes bearing this name still exist today.
(Source consulted: An extensive brochure of this perfume that was offered to me in the store where I bought it.)

This is a perfume very hard to find in Europe. I should say it's almost unknown.
I bought a bottle last week in the U.S. and it's a real novelty and unique for me, although common across the Atlantic..
It's a very likeable, well blended and powerful fragrance.
I heard opinions judging it a manly, strong and outdated scent? Great !!! I really enjoy to wear it ! I am a fan of many old school barbershop scents.
I find it a bit linear (not a defect in this case) presenting a subtle mixture of spices, sweet florals, and rich undertones of musk and soft woodsy notes. There is also a noticeable non boosy accord that I relate to a vermouth type of smell, due probably to the strong artemisia essence used (mugwort).
It brings me back infant memories from the eighties. If you enjoy some nostalgia do make a try with this fragrance. On top of it, even if it's not a compliment grabber, it pleases most of the people around me, namely my mother... Yes! Mums do like it :-)

Scrutiny of Paul Sebastian PS Fine Cologne:
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Opening: 8.0 (tipical old school fougére with a strong artemisia note... I like it!)
- Drydown: 9.0 (it get's better with strong sandalwood)
- Longevity: 8.5 (up to 10 hours with 2 sprays)
- Sillage: 9.0 (up to 6~7 feet with 2 sprays; it projects for 2.5 hours)
- Versatility: 7.0 (spring and fall fougère; usable in winter sunny days as well)
- Usability: 8.0 (anywhere with a formal attire: ok for the office)
- Compliments: 6.0 (your mother will love it; with some luck your wife will like it; your daughter will hate it)
- Uniqueness: 9.5 (it recalls me some barbershop fougères, but can only remember one: the original Perry Ellis for Men 1985 edition; the strong artemisia note makes it quite an unique fougère)
- Quality: 8.0 (above average)
- Presentation: 6.0 (simple and a bit old fashion)
- Price: 10.0 (It sells under $15 USD the 100 ml bottle - a bargain)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Average: 8.09 / 10,00
Opinion on Paul Sebastian PS: I quite like it. The opening lavender together with a strong artemisia note gives it vintage "look and feel" that I appreciate. The woody drydown is magnific. If you like scents from the 80s you cannot miss this one. This is the kind of scent that I associate to a gangsters movie. If you want to impersonate Carlo Gambino or John Gotti this fragrance will help you do it for sure.
Ok for a blind buy? a cautious "yes" but only if you like old school barbershop fragrances.

Music: Green Day - "Wake Me Up When September Ends"

Fine Indeed
Last year about this time I visited the US for the first time. Now I am a fairly simple person with simple tastes. I spent most of my time in and around Oklahoma city and to its south west. I enjoyed the simple things, gospel meetings, time with friends, visiting Taco Bell and shopping at Ross, Walmart and Walgreens.

It was at a Walmart I managed to grab a 4oz edt bottle of Fine Cologne for $9.99 just after Christmas (reduced as it was "Christmas Stock"). PS Fine cologne is not widely available here in Australia and to me is a definite olfactory mnemonic of my US trip (as well as Preferred Stock by Coty, but that is another story).

I already had a bottle of PS, and knew what to expect and so I grabbed the bottle with glee. I originally learned about it when, on another forum, I asked "what is like Old Spice, but stronger?" PS fine cologne was suggested and it happened that I found a place a little while later that sold testers. I loved it right from the start.

I have seen a number of times on websites, that this is a best selling fragrance and I can understand why. It is classy at a tiny price. Musk, spice,floral notes and a powdery lavender make for a classic masculine fragrance. I cannot really pick what the floral notes are, they could be rose or carnation or some other pink and frilly thing. There is just enough of this note, however, to underpin and unify the other notes. It is pretty 'old school' (whatever that means) and lasts much longer than Old Spice. It also has more of a herbal/boozy/aromatic edge than O. S. which makes it a more robust fragrance.

This is indeed a fine cologne.

KimJongKimJong 1 year ago
A great sandalwood fougere that I would never have known if it hadn't been for Parfumo. It's a real gem. Thanks to everyone here.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
A linear cologne presenting a barbershop fougère with rich undertones of musk and soft sandalwood notes. It's hard not to like it!
BhugoBhugo 3 years ago
This reminds me a lot of Old Spice, but classier. Quite long lasting. Worth every penny and more!
TerenteTerente 3 years ago
What a wonderful cheapie! It is the proof that you don't have to spend fortunes for a good perfume.

by Bnd007
by Bnd007
by Arlufkin
by Arlufkin
by ChicoRoch1
by ChicoRoch1

Popular Paul Sebastian

Casual by Paul Sebastian Casual for Men (Cologne) by Paul Sebastian Design by Paul Sebastian Tribecca by Paul Sebastian V.S.O.P. (Cologne) by Paul Sebastian Onyx by Paul Sebastian Design for Men (Cologne) by Paul Sebastian Kinetic by Paul Sebastian Silver by Paul Sebastian V.S.O.P. (After Shave) by Paul Sebastian Brownstone by Paul Sebastian Temzo by Paul Sebastian PS (After Shave Lotion) by Paul Sebastian Casual for Men (After Shave) by Paul Sebastian Design for Men (After Shave) by Paul Sebastian Funky Sexy Cool Design by Paul Sebastian