Artemisia (2002) Eau de Parfum

Artemisia (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's

Artemisia (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Penhaligon's for women and was released in 2002. The scent is floral-powdery. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesGreen leaves, Nectarine
Heart Notes Heart NotesGreen apple, Lily-of-the-valley, Jasmine tea, Violet, Vanilla
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Musk, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by Seglein, last update on 17.10.2019

9.0 4.0 5.0 7.0/10

Singing bowl
In kindergarten (yes, it's been a while), I can't remember what occasion, she was used every now and then, the singing bowl of educator Sabine. Sharply struck, the clearly audible sound soon faded away, but for a long time a sound was still audible, half heard, half conceited. While we children tried to recognize when the sound was completely silenced quietly, Sabine was secretly happy to have quieted us brats so easily once again. This instrument serves therefore beside crude Esoterikgeschwurbel also concrete practical purposes.

Artemisia is also struck sharply: for a fraction of a second a pungent note shoots up my nose. A moment later, as if nothing had happened, there is only a soft sound of floral creamy sweetness, an idea of furry peach skin, the impression of which turns into rice pudding with pieces of peach. Could be jasmine rice with milk. The whole thing is quite diffuse and becomes quieter and quieter, actually begins to subside before the top note, but is quite complex. The lilies of the valley swing clearly audible with a vanilla cream underlay. Here the clearly audible tone soon stops, the partly perceptible, partly imagined sound of vanilla and powder remains. And I am as quiet as a mouse, concentrating on the sound that is gone in one moment, still there in the other.

I like businesses that don't need flashy, brightly colored advertising and sale signs. They know what they are offering, and patiently wait to be discovered and entered by me.
I like people who - especially in the group - don't try to drown out everyone else with loud screams, who hold back and know when a contribution from them is relevant and when not. Who first think and then talk.
I like quiet scents, quiet winners. Fragrances that can sometimes last a week or two without me without punishing me with reproachful looks from the shelf. Faithful and quiet and yet full of content.
I am sure that Artemisia can be just such a fragrance for a lady.
9.0 6.0 8.0 6.5/10

EdithLyri
An apple tree in late autumn
When I put on the scent, I was a little scared at first: I got 1:1 cheap nail polish remover smell in my nose. I sniffed again. Still nail polish remover. Only after a few minutes does this note warp to make way for something flowery, bitter. I intuitively thought of violets and old grannies. Finally, something fruity is emerging, an apple that is becoming more and more intense and completely displaces the flowers. At first it is pleasant, the perfume smells like an autumn meadow. You can smell the moss, the leaves, the late bloomers and the ripe apples that have fallen to the ground. This phase is very beautiful, it smells like autumn, without being sweet, like fruit, without being artificial, earthy, without being musty, but it lasted only very short with me.

The apple is still increasing in intensity. At some point he crosses the border of the pleasant and tips over into the fermented. It now smells like fermented cider on a hay nest. Alternatively, the smell somehow reminds me of pencil. It's funny, this "Artemisia".

The apple withdraws a little. The autumn meadow is back, but it is now a little later in the year, the late bloomers are already faded and there are only the old apples and leaves. When are the birds gonna get all these apples? I also smell a few sour rowan berries on the buffet, perhaps they taste better to the birds as long as the abundance still prevails. You'd better hurry. The fruits ferment more and more.
Ah, they're getting to the apples. Now the perfume has a very pleasant smell.
It ends in a soft, warm vanilla-wood scent, which still keeps a memory of the sour-harsh apple scent. The finale is very nice.

I want to like the fragrance because it captures the autumn smell of an apple tree very authentically. It's probably the first fruit scent where I don't flee out of sweetness. But I wouldn't wear the scent, the "fermented must phase" disturbs me much too much. Still, I like the idea of the fragrance and it's definitely something else. But perhaps less apple would have done the composition some good.
8.0 6.0 7.0 8.0/10

Bittersweet plant milk
Once again I bought Artemisia as a used remaining bottle with about 25 of 50 ml. Still in the older version with the two unicorns at the front of the label. I liked the fragrance from the beginning, it has something very special and is certainly not suitable for everyone.

Artemis is the Greek goddess of hunting. The plant wormwood, Artemisia absinthium, is assigned to it.
And the scent of Penhaligon`s Artemisia reminds me of this plant too.

Artemisia has a rather dry, slightly bitter, but nevertheless with a slightly sweet note paired scent character, which also comes along a little creamy-milky.
Green leaves are immediately recognizable in the top note, while the fruity components nectarine and green apple do not show up at all in my case.
Jasmine tea follows, which is seasoned with a delicate hint of lily of the valley, powdery violet and vanilla.
At no time does the scent become flowery or even ashy because of the lilies of the valley. The flowers give only a slight sweetness and the dry-powdery scent character remains until the end.
The base becomes slightly woody, which is probably due to the oak moss (which I can't really smell here, though) and sandalwood
With regard to shelf life and sillage, I can say that it is much better in summer than in winter. It is also drier/powderier at warm temperatures and more creamy in winter, so it is also a temperature-dependent scent.

In fact, the scent really reminds me of the smell of wormwood. My mother used to have it in the garden and the leaves really smell like that. You can make tea from the dried leaves. The tea tastes very bitter and when dried, even the leaves smell very bitter. It is also a main ingredient of the drink absinthe along with anise and fennel. A bit of wormwood is also buried in the wine drink wormwood, e.g. Martini.

Unfortunately I can't tell if the fragrance was changed with the new look.
It's quite possible I'll buy that scent again. It has something of its own and is also not so often on the street to smell.

Anthology
A floral with a good vibe
Artemisia opens with sweet green notes mixed with fruits. It is a sweet fruity odour, not sour or pungent. It has a nice opening.
After a while, I feel lily of the valley and jasmine in a green armour. Not a loud floral perfume. A skin fragrance, sweet and pleasant.
The dry-down is powdery and woody and is all about musk.
Artemisia is a nice fragrance. It has good longevity and intimate sillage. This is a discreet scent, good for a quiet day when you want something to make you feel comfortable.
Give it a try if you like florals with pleasant smell and a good vibe.
5.0 7.5 6.0/10

Comfortable and Clean
Penhaligon's Artemisia is a fragrance that I can only describe as soft, feminine and clean. I can see why so many women adore this fragrance, as it is full of charm and elegance.

I hesitate to classify this fragrance as soapy, so I'll stick with clean. The creamy vanilla accord stops it from becoming too predictable, and what a relief it is that this fragrance is more than just 'shower fresh'. It goes to show that clean doesn't always have to be plain and boring.

Penhaligon's Artemisia is a perfume that I feel extremely comfortable wearing, so I whole-heartedly recommend this fragrance to just about any woman, even those that shy away from anything too loud and obtrusive. As inoffensive as it may appear to be, that's not to say that you won't stand out in a crowd. While testing this fragrance, my boyfriend had many positive things to say about it, so I'd assume that men enjoy its scent.

I really love Penhaligon's classic approach and style. It is something to be admired, even if it is very British. They have a knack for florals, and compose them so beautifully that they suit almost any occasion. Penhaligon's Artemisia is a scent that you could wear all year round.

Other than having a dominant blend of crisp white musk and creamy vanilla, Penhaligon's Artemisia also has a soft, powdery violet note and a hint of sweet jasmine and sandalwood in the base. I see that some reviewers are complaining that the longevity is poor, well I'm just adding my two cents, but I found the lasting strength quite impressive, lasting well over six hours on my skin.

Originally Written: August 19, 2012.
5.0 5.0 7.5 8.0/10

Dior Homme pour Femme
Some fragrances are so tightly woven that it is difficult for me to sense some development – let alone notice all the notes. Such is the case with Penhaligon's Artemisia. First, I do not have a precise idea about what this plant is supposed to smell like. And then the naming might lead us a bit astray since this fragrance is not really herbal.

Artemisia is an oriental, not a fougère. I see strong bonds to Dior Homme: there is almost the same dry powdery and paper-like accord. However, it is not specific enough to remind you at orris root. There is a vanillic and slighly creamy basic appeal, but rather unsweet and not at all gooey or voluminous. And there is even something similar to Dior Homme's famous lipstick accord!

I do not agree at all with the scent description as given on Penhaligon's website – there, a respectable scent pyramid is listed with lots of ingredients that I do not smell.

If I read the word musk for this fragrance I can connect this to a very withdrawn animality. Better said, it is a characteristic that relates Artemisia directly to the person of the wearer and maybe justifies the classification “skin scent”. In a way, this perfume is more aura than fragrance. The first thought Artemisia evokes is rather “This person smells good” than “This person is wearing a great perfume”. Artemisia appears almost too intimate for a professional or office environment – but on the other side it is also too modest for a night out at the opera, and too discreet for any pub or bar.

So, it is a private fragrance, maybe for intimate moments: discreet but effective.

With its release year 2002 Artemisia already belongs to the longsellers at Penhaligon's. I can imagine that this not so spectacular fragrance may have some difficulties to find its customers. Maybe it is a longseller because it has certain long time qualities when you wear it. Due to its discreet character one does not easily get fed up with it – which generally can happen with vanillic orientals.

Artemisia is distributed as a ladies' fragrance by Penhaligon's – which I do not completely agree with. It is true that Artemisia is less distinctive than i.e. Dior Homme. But since its softness is presented with downright subtlety I'd like to regard it as unisex.

A while ago, Dior confused us with reformulations of its Dior Homme fragrances – which did no good at least to the Dior Homme Intense version. Here, Artemisia comes in as a high-classed alternative. Especially those men who are in doubt if the Dior “lipstick” accord might not be too feminine for them may feel more comfortable with the more discreet style of Artemisia. On the other side, Artemisia is highly recommendable to those ladies who like Dior Homme but do not want to wear a declared gents' cologne.

Artemisia is a beautiful discovery which found its way into my collection a while ago.
7.5 5.0 7.5 9.0/10

Cashmere Artemisia
Artemisia is a beautiful smooth cashmere textured scent for a woman. Woody vanilla and powdery violet peak out from behind a touch of green herbal note and connect with soft clean white musk. Lily of the Valley and jasmine tickle and tease but then fade into a powder soft fuzzy periwinkle colored sweater. In fact, I will probably get some flack for this, but I think it should be called Cashmere Artemisia. Or rather, I think Cashmere Mist had some creative inspiration from the House of Penhaligon. The two fragrances are almost indistinguishable to my nose and I wore Cashmere Mist as a signature scent for at least 2 years. I still love both- powdery, balmy gentle and comforting scents that predate the parade of the Loukhoums but employ some of that same allure. If you like soft feminine powdery orientals ranging from Curve Crush, Moschino's Chic & Cheap- L'eau right, Harajuku Lovers Baby, Tracy Ellen's Bronze powdery violet also gets a mention- on up to Chanel No 5 Sensual Elixir or even the smooth style, if not the execution of Tom Ford's White Suede, you may want to sample Artemesia. If either Artemesia or Cashmere Mist is ever discontinued, and I find myself craving the safety of that snuggly soft powdery kind of vanilla-ambergris-sandalwood-violet feeling, I have no fear, a reasonable doppelganger is available.
5.0 5.0 5.0 5.0/10

Dull
I can smell the predominace of apple
and the faint smell of Vanilla those
two scents dominate the other notes
some people have an talent to seperate
the other notes easely i have i bit of an
hard time with it I Can smell Either
2 notes or 3 notes out of 12.
this is one of the Plain Jane scent
from my collection a bit dull.

by Hexana
by Meggy07
by Moni43
by Moni43

Popular Penhaligon's

Sartorial by Penhaligon's Malabah (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Artemisia (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Endymion by Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Juniper Sling by Penhaligon's Cornubia by Penhaligon's Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's Lily of the Valley (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Iris Prima by Penhaligon's Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George by Penhaligon's Vaara by Penhaligon's Elixir by Penhaligon's Luna by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Lothair by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Halfeti by Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Amaranthine (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Ellenisia by Penhaligon's LP No.9 for Ladies by Penhaligon's