Douro Eau de Portugal (1985)

Douro Eau de Portugal by Penhaligon's

Douro Eau de Portugal is a popular perfume by Penhaligon's for men and was released in 1985. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBasil, Bergamot, Lavender, Lime, Mandarin, Geranium, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesLily-of-the-valley, Neroli
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Labdanum, Musk, Sandalwood

Submitted by Andi136, last update on 25.04.2019

The original version of the scent dates back to the year 1911.

9.0 6.0 8.0 8.5/10

Camden Market Hippie Shop
Colourfully dyed scarves and batik T-shirts in all imaginable colours hang on worn strings along the red brick walls. Through a narrow side street I escaped the terrible hustle and bustle at Camden Market, when an initially biting, somewhat indefinable smell rises to my nose. I follow the smell and squeeze my way through the narrow passage between old wooden stands with various fresh citrus fruits and spices (especially basil) that seem to sweat out their tart freshness in the midday heat.
After a while, it flushes me through the front door of a hippie shop, which I spotted by chance between the dense stands - or perhaps even erected. Close behind each other, as if on an endless row of clotheslines stretched on the ceiling, hang again huge coloured batik towels with unique patterns. But it's not the cloths themselves that cast a spell over me, it's their smell. With a good wine, its storage can be recognized by its smell and taste, with these cloths it seems to be similar. With my nose dipped into the towels I let myself drift through the shop with my eyes closed, always straight ahead, towel by towel. After the dyeing they were obviously washed with detergent and partly wrapped with Nag Champa incense sticks and various flower scented soaps, dark rose and lavender I think to recognize. A more precise identification of the other flowers and citrus fruits fails because of the ubiquitous Nag Champa chopsticks. Wonderful flashback, I think to myself, and I can't let my nose off the cloths for hours. Anyone who had a real hippie friend knows this smell, associates it with youthful impetuosity, squatted houses, summer in a VW bus or on the meadow of a festival, the moment when one smells her dreadlocks or sleeps in the tent on her knitted sweater at night, falls in love over both ears, of course. A fragrance with moderate sillage but amazing durability - in the clothes, hair and memory.
After more hours I think I perceive some resinous wood slowly diffusing through my gaps in my memory. I must have fallen asleep somewhere in a corner of the store, probably on an old English sandalwood bench.
When I find myself on the street some night, the scent still hangs in my clothes. Unconsciously I whistle an old motor psycho song, "I'm still wearing your smell", like before.
If I have to be a young hippie again for this scent. Nonsense, I also like to listen to the music of that time, I like to feel the memories. The old vintage bottle is a perfect match. Per summer flashback!
7.5 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

Douro by Penhaligon's
Douro opens with a huge lemon/lime note that recalls me of cleaning product.

The first notes disappears quickly, then joins the composition a nice lavender note, followed by a woody base with hints of spices and resins.

There is a powdery smell, actually a barbershop smell, which i find very pleasant. At the drydown Douro reminds me of Sartorial from the same house.

Douro is more a skin scent, smells refined for sure.

Sillage and projection are good. Lasting power is around 4/5 hours.
5.0 7.5 9.0/10

The necessity of tradition
I think it’s safe to say most of us join Parfumo to keep up with the latest fragrance trends. We devour reviews hoping to find a scent that will project the unique qualities of our character and personality. However, there are certain occasions that require the fragrance we wear, like our clothing, to conform to a sense of decorum or social code. For instance, as much as I like trying out new fragrances those scents frequently don’t match the formality of my work uniform. Several times a week my job requires that I dress in a conservative suit, a tuxedo or white tie and tails. Needless to say, the latest, edgy offering from Etat Libre d’Orange is likely to match that attire as well as a pair of Doc Martens. That’s why well crafted fragrances with strong roots in traditional perfumery are staples in my fragrance wardrobe. Penhaligon’s Douro fits that role perfectly.

I find that the classic masculine genres of aromatics and fougeres work well when a socially appropriate, dress up fragrance is required. I particularly enjoy fragrances that flirt with the borders of those genres such as Loewe Essentia or Dior Eau Sauvage. Michael Edwards classifies Douro as a citrus -as he does Eau Sauvage- and I understand why, but that term does not begin tell the whole story. To my nose, it's misleading to pigeonhole Douro in such a narrow range since the citrus notes not only lose their dominance, they eventually blend into the overall profile of the fragrance allowing it to develop characteristics of other genres. I’ve also come across sources that classify Douro as an aromatic. This fills gaps in the description although Douro eventually develops into a rich, well blended, lavender forward fragrance that can easily read to the nose as a fougere.

Now, don’t let the fougere description scare you off. Unfortunately, mediocre fougeres are ubiquitous so the genre gets a bad rap with an association to barbershop scents. This is not the case with Douro. It is somewhat redolent of Eau Sauvage so it has a depth that exudes an aura of tradition and propriety rather than reeking like a synthetic lavender chemical spill. Douro is a surprisingly complex scent that only masquerades as being straightforward and traditional.

I’m grateful to a fellow Parfumo-ist for sharing this sample of Douro with me. I see a bottle of this elegant fragrance in my future.

by Miaw2
by Miaw2
by BBking
by BBking

Popular Penhaligon's

Sartorial by Penhaligon's Malabah (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Artemisia (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Endymion by Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Juniper Sling by Penhaligon's Cornubia by Penhaligon's Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's Lily of the Valley (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Iris Prima by Penhaligon's Vaara by Penhaligon's Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George by Penhaligon's Elixir by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Lothair by Penhaligon's Luna by Penhaligon's Amaranthine (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Ellenisia by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Halfeti by Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's LP No.9 for Ladies by Penhaligon's