Eau de Verveine (2009)

Eau de Verveine by Penhaligon's

Eau de Verveine is a popular perfume by Penhaligon's for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is green-citrusy. The production was apparently discontinued.

Mike Parrott

Top Notes Top NotesLime, Lemon, Petitgrain, Bergamot, Coriander, Clary sage, Mugwort
Heart Notes Heart NotesClove, Lavender
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Vanilla, Cedarwood

Submitted by Seglein, last update on 11.07.2020.

In 2009, the scent was re-released as part of the Anthology Collection after being launched in 1949.

Penhaligon's - An obituary of headless, vegetarian scents, third prank
Eau de Verveine initially gives the impression of a sparkling cologne, before all kinds of green and herbaceous notes are pushed through the rather fleeting citrus notes. Even later, eau de verveine turns into a spicy lavender scent soaped up with musk, which almost has a certain warmth in it. I can't smell the clove here, but I willingly believe that this note is present - I assume that the warm and spicy impression would not be possible without it. I can't see a real basis either. However, since the fragrance lasts for an unusually long time, it probably only has a supporting function. The eponymous verbena itself is probably not contained as a fragrance, but it seems to be justified by the name due to the sophisticated interplay of citric and herbaceous notes I prefer to wear Eau de Verveine in early and late summer when the evenings are fresh. Then the initial freshness of the fragrance brings me over the hot hours and the comforting warmth of the herbaceous heart emerges even stronger in the coolness of the evening.
I really appreciate the concept of the initially fresh citrus scent, which is warming from the inside out. I think I can see something similar in the Eau de Patou of the Heritage Collection (btw: I like retro series...), whose even more pronounced warmth, suitable for autumn, is also created by spicy lavender. But in my opinion it is not carnation but caraway that is responsible for this.
Finally - since this comment has been quite sober so far - I would like to point out that for me, Eau de Verveine is one of the best fragrances not only of the Heritage Collection, not only Penhaligon's, but of all. If you don't know it, you have missed something. And should make up for it.

Green and mature...
This is a very natural smelling fragrance. To me it really feels like a walk in nature. I get a green, dark and mossy scent, with hints of crisp freshness along the way. I think it's balanced really well actually. I get the lime and bergamot, as well as the lemon and pepper and lavender. There's also petitgrain, cedar and cloves. I really like it. I think it could be interpreted as old fashioned but I think it's a great fragrance for spring and summer. Like a crisp, spring morning this fills me with energy and hope. Definitely one to try if you like a green, slightly bitter and very traditional eau de cologne structure. If you are a fan of this style, then it will definitely appeal to you. Again, I am yet to find a badly made fragrance by this house. Really great work.

Not Your Usual Verbena Cologne
Penhaligon EAU DE VERVEINE opens with a somewhat odd smell to my nose--it might be the coriander and clary sage which together impart a slightly offputting dirtiness. Shortly thereafter, however, the composition smooths out as the lavender, vanilla, and cedarwood all reveal themselves in a delightful unfurling and swirling of notes, which includes just a touch of clove.

The drydown of EAU DE VERVEINE is rather rich and complex, certainly much more so than I would have predicted from a fragrance with this name. EAU DE VERVEINE also has good staying power, thanks probably to the musk. All things considered, this is a well-crafted aromatic woody fragrance which I can recommend to gals and guys alike for warm-weather wear.

by AmyAmy
by AmyAmy

Popular Penhaligon's

Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George by Penhaligon's Sartorial by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Halfeti by Penhaligon's Luna by Penhaligon's Portraits - Roaring Radcliff by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Lothair by Penhaligon's Portraits - Much Ado About the Duke by Penhaligon's Portraits - Clandestine Clara by Penhaligon's Douro Eau de Portugal by Penhaligon's Belgravia Chypre by Penhaligon's Malabah (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Iris Prima by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - As Sawira by Penhaligon's Artemisia (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Lily of the Valley (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Lavandula by Penhaligon's Cornubia by Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Portraits - The Uncompromising Sohan by Penhaligon's Savoy Steam (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's