Iris Prima 2013

Iris Prima by Penhaligon's
Iris Prima is a popular perfume by Penhaligon's for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is floral-powdery. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Pink pepper, Green amber
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris absolute, Jasmine sambac, Hedione, Paradisone®
Base Notes Base NotesLeather, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Benzoin

Submitted by WRoth, last update on 10.12.2020.

Pauline6
Please, what did you say?
I bought a small bottle of Iris Prima in the offer, because I simply love Iris as a note!
The packaging and the flacon are also beautiful, as is the fragrance, which is a bit powdery, a bit leathery and somehow fresh.
However, my main drawback is that the scent can only be perceived after an hour if I really touch my skin with my nose. I don't think that's so great for such a high-priced scent.
So of course you can wear it well at work or at home, but do I really want to spend over 200 € (original price for 100ml) to wear a perfume that neither I nor anyone else can really perceive?
I still have to test it several times to see if it holds better on some clothes.

Otherwise I will probably start wearing it to go to sleep, because cuddly and cozy is the scent all the time!
Ballerina in leather jacket
Augusta greets you: a real ballerina in leather jackets. It's easy to wear, the delicate little thing. Lemon iris with a soft leather touch. But unfortunately, after half an hour she has already disappeared behind the next (big city) corner of a house, a little breath remains to be guessed. Distant, pliable, interesting, but a bit too fleeting. Sprayed twice (she) holds better.

About iris
Right from the beginning you can feel the iris. It is a nice, sweet, creamy iris. I love iris with all its facets.
The centre of the fragrance is about iris wrapped in sweet jasmine and sprinkled with spices.
The base brings a leathery touch to the iris as if you have crushed an iris flower in a leathery glove. The leather smell from the glove remains in the iris flower and the result is a magnificent odour: a leathery iris.
The base is creamy, sweet and powdery. The longevity is good. For me this is a scent close to the skin.
If you like iris note in perfume you should try Iris Prima.

Coutureguru
Modern with a classic twist ...
My fascination with Iris continues and I was recently given a bottle of Iris Prima as a birthday gift ... yes ... I'm a lucky boy as my friends all know I'm a fragrance whore and try to outdo each other by procuring weird and wonderful stuff to spoil me with! Not that Iris Prima is in any way weird ... but it is wonderful!

This fragrance brings to mind a statue of Venus covered in graffiti ... quite a bizarre image, I know ... but it comes closest to explaining the classic/modern twist here. Created by Alberto Morillas (chemical Albie ... teehee) , I LOVE the fact that the note pyramid lists the aroma chemicals used in Iris Prima. I have a sample of the marvellous Hedione and it is very much present here! If I am not mistaken, Paradisone forms the basis of Armani Si ... which I enjoy on other people. I haven't, as yet, had the pleasure of smelling it in unadulterated form.
The star of this fragrance, obviously, is the Iris ... soft and smooth as a pair of chamois leather gloves! It is evident right from the first spritz ... on my skin the top notes are hardly present with the smooth leatheriness (is that even a word?) making itself known right off the bat. If one is going to call a fragrance 'Iris First' then I guess it had better deliver ... which this fragrance does!
True to Penhaligon's form, my skin devours Iris Prima in around 4 hours, depending on the weather. The final sweet leather phase sticks close to me ... but adheres gorgeously to my clothes, affording me luscious wafts every now and then.

Not inexpensive, my 50ml bottle will have to be treated with respect ... but then, this is one of those frags that I only really wear for myself, so I will save it for when my mood needs lifting. Do try this one if you love Iris ...

A night at the Opera
After reading the perfume description from Penhaligon's site my mind went quickly imagining a delicate powdery iris with some classic accents very much in line with Penhaligon’s hallmark and having no expectations to be surprised by this fragrance.
Now being mentally prepared and knowing more or less about what should I expect before trying the perfume I did the reality check and put Iris Prima on my skin. During the first fifteen minutes I was living in a delicate fresh powdery floral cloud surrounded by pink silky ballet pointe shoes, tones of silk ribbons and pink tutus with a lot of powder floating around. A definitely feminine fragrance with a fresh iris among other flower . I was then expecting for a solo from the iris as it was announced but SURPRISE !
The fresh Iris young ballerinas floating in powder were suddenly replaced by an unexpected and surprising scent of leather. A very well mannered leather with almost nothing animalic in it, actually is all about suede. In spite of the fact that oud is not mentioned in the composition I smell a very soft trail of oud which enters on the stage in the same time with the leather but vanishing quickly.
This pleasant slightly musky suede smell is growing bigger and bigger leaving behind the feminine flowery pink tutu territory and leaning more and more to masculine territory but never really reaching it . Still some powdery trails are telling that Iris is still there but not for long time. Supporting leather vetiver enters into the stage bringing much more emphasis and giving Iris Prima a unisex identity much more than feminine. Both of them suede and vetiver are soft and well balanced, all their harshness was turned down by Alberto Morillas with a touch of vanilla. The final stage has complexity given by the presence of sandalwood , bezoin and the soft vanilla.
After this performance of leather as Prima Ballerina in spite of the fact that we were told that Iris will perform I can easy say about Iris Prima that is a soft floral leather fragrance classic and classy in the same time.

Very soft and pretty
Iris Prima opens with a blast of bergamot and suede. Just only for a few seconds. After that changes quickly into a powdery, hairspray, deodorant and make-up scent. With the suede slowly returning and adding the iris.

Iris Prima is very soft and stays incredible close to the skin. To smell it, you will have to sniff your wrist. However from time to time I smell a little whiff of a chocolate -like suede and iris. And exactly these whiffs are very charming. In the late drydown I can smell some vanilla and this last whisper is extremely comforting. For such a soft scent the longevity is very good. I can still smell a trace after 8 hours. Because of the flowery composition and its softness I would place it more in a feminine spectrum.

If you are worried about the synthetics in Iris Prima, don't be. This fragrance is blended very nicely. Very much recommended if you are into iris and leather fragrances.

Maybe also nice to know. Iris Prima is inspired by (and created in collaboration with) the English National Ballet.

by CosmicLove
by Tnahowru
by Hatka
by Hatka

Popular Penhaligon's

Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George by Penhaligon's Sartorial by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Halfeti by Penhaligon's Luna by Penhaligon's Portraits - Much Ado About the Duke by Penhaligon's Portraits - Roaring Radcliff by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Lothair by Penhaligon's Portraits - Clandestine Clara by Penhaligon's Douro Eau de Portugal by Penhaligon's Malabah (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Belgravia Chypre by Penhaligon's Portraits - The Uncompromising Sohan by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - As Sawira by Penhaligon's Artemisia (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Lily of the Valley (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Lavandula by Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Cornubia by Penhaligon's Portraits - The Coveted Duchess Rose by Penhaligon's Savoy Steam (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's