LP No.9 for Men (1998)

LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon's

LP No.9 for Men is a perfume by Penhaligon's for men and was released in 1998. The scent is sweet-spicy. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesMandarin, Bergamot, Rosewood
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Iris, Rose, Ylang-ylang, Clove, Cinnamon, Pepper, Nutmeg
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Patchouli, Musk, Amber

Submitted by Seglein, last update on 22.10.2018

Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 9.0/10
Top hats and tails...
Shimmering citrus top notes veil deep, rich, spicy heart and base accords... zesty bergamot, lemon and mandarin merge with a humming blend of rosemary, black pepper, warm cinnamon and smokey amber - the total sum of which tends to prickle at the back of your nose. The opening sensation is rather like inhaling the aroma of scotch and dry ginger ale. But with time, one can detect the delicate blend of warm clove, mint-like geranium, dry vetiver and fragrant sandalwood. This is a scent to be cherished as something timeless, sophisticated and elegant.

One cant help but feel transported back to Victorian England when wearing this abandoned treasure... dressed in top hat and tails, stepping out of coal-black carriages with white gloves and silver-tipped ebony canes; Love Potion No:9 hanging in the air overhead like a shiny black raven.

A signature scent of mine, which possesses a celebratory air. Glorious.
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 6.0/10
Long Playing no 9 for Men
Contrary to popular opinion, the 'LP' in Penhaligon's LP No.9 for men does not stand for "Love Potion". No, it stands for "Long Playing" no 9. That's because this "eau de toilette" packs a potent punch, and becomes stronger not weaker over time, culminating ultimately in a bizarre spiced-oriental barbershop fougère. It also morphs back and forth between fougère and oriental, at times reminding me of PRADA AMBER pour homme and Bond no 9 COOPER SQUARE, at other times reminding me of something rather stifling and nameless.

Penhaligon's is a funny house. They do seem British somehow, which I know sounds like a stereotype, but of course it is. I have a bottle of Pecksniff's bubble bath, on which the self-deprecating information is printed that (paraphrased), "there are very few British perfume makers, and we are proud to be one of them)." My favorite British house is Miller Harris, but that's another story.

I was shocked to discover the Penhaligon's--L'Artisan Parfumeur connection not too long ago. I only figured it out because they held simultaneous sales, and fulfillment came from the same place, and the websites were designed almost exactly the same. Then I discovered that Bertrand Duchaufour has created scents for both houses. But somehow Penhaligon's has this old school vibe which strikes me as just slightly off somehow, at least in some cases.

Especially with the LP duo, I find that a whole bunch of heavy spices were thrown into the mix to, well, spice things up. The effect is not entirely harmonious, and it's certainly not romantic, whatever else it may be. Unlike jtd (see below), I do not hate this perfume, but I also don't really cherish the thought of wearing it again. It's not exactly painful to wear, but it is somewhat challenging and discordant. To me, at least, LP No. 9 FOR MEN is not such a pleasure to wear. Perhaps it is better suited for men? Except, of course, jtd!
jtd
religion, perfume, gender
I got two blind buys on the same day. Annick Goutal Mon Parfum Cheri par Camille reinforces the blind buy. If I were to mistake my lucky randomness for logic I would never have to smell another perfume before buying again, because it’s brilliant. Penhaligon’s Love Potion no 9 makes me want to repent for my sin of blind-buying, and I’m not even a Christian. A 50 mL bottle was $25 at a discount store, so not an enormous loss. Still, foolish.

As much as I promote gender non-specificity in perfume use, there is a vocabulary of contemporary perfume that is gendered. LP falls into the ‘male’ category. It brings to mind a sneering prick. It smells of masculine narcissism, conformity and unrecognized low self-esteem. I hate this perfume. It’s the nightmarish mirror-image of a specific era of the fougere: the musky, floral fougere that became extinct with the advent of Cool Water. Rememeber Paco Rabanne Tenere? Givenchy Xeryus? LP is the cloying, unbalanced version of this style. Spicy musky, in Tenere and Xeryus, is turned to a rising nausea in LP no 9. Just say no.

Blind buying: will it be winning the lottery, as was the case with the Goutal, or the penance for transgression, as in the Penhaligon’s? As my boyfriend captures the essence of karma with his southern charm, “God don’t like ugly.” I suppose I deserve to be punished for my bad choice.
Scent 6.0/10
Nice Spice...
LP is a good spicy scent, opening with some nice brief citrus top notes before making a quick transition to plenty of clove, other spices and even a hint of cinnamon in its heart. The only gripe I have with LP is the sweet vanilla and amber dry-down that somehow seems a bit out of place with the rest of the scent. Excellent longevity and sillage here with LP No. 9. 3 stars out of 5.
Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
Perfect fragrance for a bad-boy smoker
I happened to be browsing in a perfume boutique the other day, searching for ideas for a fragrance for my boyfriend. I had begun to complain to the sales assistant about his smoking habit interfering with anything perfume-wise, when she recommended LP No.9 for Men.

The moment I smelt this, I understood why she introduced it to me. This fragrance is all about the spices and it actually smells like something a bad-boy smoker in a leather jacket would wear.

Forget all that love potion nonsense, this is rough, manly and sexy. I hesitated to buy this for my man because I was afraid that every woman in sight would want to jump him if he wore this in public.

The cloves, geranium, pepper, orange and nutmeg are quite prominent throughout the composition, although there is a hint of sweetness every now and then, possibly brought about by the cinnamon, and what could be vanilla.

The spices in LP No.9 for Men are more animalistic than exotic. Don't expect a spice bazaar in this particular fragrance. By the drydown I can almost detect a hint of caramel, so there are sweet aspects to this as well.

Unfortunately the lasting power isn't all that wonderful, tending to vanish after six hours into almost nothing. I would love it if this were more intense and lasting. Yet overall, I am quite impressed, with this fragrance being a great introduction to the house of Penhaligon's.

Carlitos01 9 months ago
I always used YSL Opium EDT. I also have Penhaligon's LP9 now and I am happy with this option of a more "wearable Opium" for daily use.+3
Bottle 7.0

• by Sherapop by Sherapop
  • by Miaw2 by Miaw2
  • by Vawallpa by Vawallpa

Popular Penhaligon's

Sartorial by Penhaligon's Malabah (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Artemisia (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Endymion by Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Juniper Sling by Penhaligon's Cornubia by Penhaligon's Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's Lily of the Valley (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Iris Prima by Penhaligon's Vaara by Penhaligon's Elixir by Penhaligon's Ellenisia by Penhaligon's Amaranthine (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George by Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Lothair by Penhaligon's LP No.9 for Ladies by Penhaligon's Quercus by Penhaligon's Luna by Penhaligon's