Portraits - Roaring Radcliff 2017

Portraits - Roaring Radcliff by Penhaligon's
Portraits - Roaring Radcliff is a popular perfume by Penhaligon's for men and was released in 2017. The scent is spicy-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Puig. Pronunciation

Daphné Bugey

Top Notes Top NotesRum
Heart Notes Heart NotesTobacco
Base Notes Base NotesGingerbread

Submitted by Michael, last update on 14.01.2021.

This fragrance won the Fragrance Foundation Award 2018 in the Perfume Extraordinaire category.

Toemsken
I love you like a fat kid love cake
Well, gingerbread, I have arrived again at a Gourmand, I like Gourmands, they smell super delicious, however, I find them unwearable, because I do not want to smell like food or pastries. A perfume must fit me and underline my character and appearance, with a Gourmand this is not possible in my eyes, yet I find them delicious.

With this simple gem, it also came directly back to my mind that it must be a gourmand, because after the light rum has disappeared from the top note or has made room for the gingerbread, the gingerbread dominates. This makes it hard for me to wear it, but it's still subtle and doable. Rather I would reach here to Enigma Cologne, which is but priced again higher.

The durability and sillage of the Radcliff is very good, you get something for your money here because the bottle is also very convincing and an eye-catcher. If you look for offers you can get hold of this perfume for about 170 € which is worth the price in my opinion, I would pay more reluctantly.

The fragrance runs linear and you can read the scent perfectly by the pyramid, with rum and tobacco are inferior to the gingerbread, it does not change much and yes he is simple but good. H+S+F are great and the scent itself has quality too. You should check him out if you're into light rum and tobacco and gourmands.

I like him and he will probably go into my collection.

Try it, it is quite interesting and quite funny to smell gingerbread in a perfume.

Thanks a lot!

MonsieurMood
Looking too deep into the rum glass ? Fortunately not.
When I got Roaring Radcliff sprayed on my wrist by the lady today for the first time in the perfumery of my confidence, I thought at first: Great, now I smell as if I had fallen into a barrel of rum, although I made it very clear to her that I don't like alcoholic aromas in perfumes. And I'm glad she convinced me to at least give Radcliff a chance. Because she should be right, what happened after some time in the drydown is just magic. Little by little the rum moves into the background and tobacco and the gentle sweetness of honey unfold and unite to a firework of senses, just great coordinated, make the perfume a very noble scent. There is almost nothing left of the rum and for me personally this is a good thing, because what is left of it is exactly right for my senses to make the perfume what it is: a creative, great perfume that should make its wearer happy. Although I have taken another fragrance in the perfumery into my heart, Roaring Radcliff remains in my thoroughly positive memory and so it is quite possible that this perfume will find its way to me at some point. I will test the bottling I took with me extensively and bear the initially strong rum tone, because what comes after that is simply worth it. In that sense...Cheers!
Floyd
A song for autumn that tells of winter
"I always liked simple songs" (John Lennon)
Similar to scents, music seems to be able to engage directly in emotions. The more complex tonal compositions often only leave a lasting impression in the aftermath when everything has come together, sometimes it takes several attempts to learn to love them. Simple songs, on the other hand, often address the listener's feelings more directly. John Lennon was certainly a prime example of the fact that both can come from the pen of a composer.
Penhaligon's Roaring Radcliff is a simple song. In contrast to complex fireworks of ingredients and fragrances such as "Halfeti", he uses only three ingredients: Rum, tobacco and spices. And that works very well. First of all there is a dark, almost syrupy sweetness, which reminds of beeswax candles, only that they were covered with a hint of warm vanilla and viscous cinnamon chocolate. The other ingredients are also easy to perceive from the start, the rum produces dark red depth, the vanilla could also be in the rather lighter pipe tobacco. The whole thing is enormously round and balanced. Radcliff is a quiet song, a gourmand who creates a memory that doesn't exist yet, a song you unconsciously hum after hearing it only once, because it makes you feel calm, good, balanced. A song for the cool autumn that tells the story of winter and transports warmth.
A great development is not taking place. In the nine to twelve hour shelf life, only a continuous, seemingly infinite fadeout takes place. In general, the development is reminiscent of the 12-piano final chord of "A Day in the Life", a chord with a very long reverberation, always with a moderate, rather tight sillage. Radcliff" is a song without painful men's pain, without unhappy love or heartbreaking loss, simply an extremely delicious unisex scent for cooler days.
Casiva
Loud in summer, shy in winter
Short review (no perfume-typical poetry!) of a fan of this perfume, who has been using the fragrance for half a year:

In summer, the fragrance seems to reach its full potential. Here the Sillage is the best I have ever experienced! None of my Amouage can get it, not even the Acqua di Parma Oud.
BUT: The scent doesn't develop a bit! The 3 notes remain for hours, do not alternate in their intensity or the like. Ok, a self-confident man is finally 24h self-confident and does not change, right?!

In winter, however, the Sillage collapses strongly! Strong in the first hour, then clearly cooler, more reserved, more shy. The difference to the unfolding in summer is immense!

Durability always excellent, but the Sillage is really weather dependent.
Almost stopped using the scent in winter. I'd rather save it for the warmer days. A real Sunnyboy just that Redclif...
Rene72
The illegitimate son and bon vivant
In the test of Penhaligon's portrait series I have now arrived at the illegitimate son of Lord George, who lives a life without compromise in the English aristocracy without the burden of a title.
Only three scents, but these describe a man of life who takes everything with him here and now.
Actually, I am not a friend of gourmands, but the Radcliff brings me a tobacco note that I would like to try as a passionate pipe smoker. Not in a Bruyere pipe, because there's nothing woody about it. Here I would reach for the meerschaum pipe. Nothing influences the tobacco aroma, only tobacco refined with a rum note.
And I like good rum. Not in cola (maximum in Long Island Icetea), but good rum that is decades old and always tastes good with a pipe. In this respect, the Radcliff addresses notes that I like to have around me. I like gingerbread too, but I'm not a sweet tooth. Chocolate is only interesting for me from a cocoa content of 70%.
The character of the extroverted Radcliff is very well implemented, with few scents. For me a man who lives and enjoys, who doesn't care or have to worry much. Roaring is not the Radcliff, on the cap the lion head does not tear open the mouth either. Possibly he growls or enjoys purring.
I see the scent on real men with strong personality. It's not for introverts or men who love anonymity. Because with the fragrance you are there immediately and you have to have the self-confidence to wear it. Rather to wear in the evening and in the salon, while switching off with friends, without having to fool anyone, in the here and now.
I'm on a big game hunt!
My grandfather was a pipe smoker. As a child I found it very interesting how he cleaned out his pipe, stuffed and lit it and how he could form curls of smoke.
My grandfather was a difficult person - others say. To me he was my grandfather, who I teased, who stood there with an open mouth because of my sometimes rebellious remarks and whom I loved.
Simply loved, as it should be.
He was a nagging pipe-smoking grandfather - with the best tobacco in the world.
There was not only smoke, there was always a juicy fruity note, those were densely woven aromas that came out of the pipe. His pipe had a wonderful light orange tone in the smooth bowl, looked beautiful.

When we were in London in Penhaligons, I walked through the shop wounded in love by Clara and Halfeti, my dear husband tested the wheel cut. Even before he came up to me with his arm outstretched, my grandfather stood in the shop grinning, looking down at me with his pipe in his mouth.
So of course not in persona, otherwise I would not have stood there calmly any more! No Radcliff conjured up my grandfather's picture and my nose was nailed up where the spray hit my husband's skin.
The way I knew I needed the Clara, I knew the Radcliff had to go home to my husband, he just didn't know it.
No, he didn't want to take him, it would be too expensive and we left the store.
You and I haven't forgotten the Radcliff.
At ALZD I ordered him a small sample because I had to order something anyway. He was as happy as a child in December to have new moonboats and can't wait until it finally snows. My almost 1.90 cm tall man pressed me to his wide chest (I am a miracle stallion of 1.64) and held me tightly - because of a test. A rehearsal!
He cherished the sprayer. I wouldn't have been surprised if one day I had come into the bathroom in the morning and Mini-Radcliff had a throne on the packaging of the ear sticks or something else, illuminated by LED spotlights in our bathroom cabinet!
My husband loves his scents very much - but he is too..... economical to buy such an expensive fragrance.
But I, I was hunting, kept my eyes open, looked around here and there, picked up tracks, made notes where he had been seen and mentally polished the shotgun, so actually the account to be prepared... good preparation is everything anyway.
And so it happened when he breathed a little louder in the bed next to me that I could not sleep.
Since I still had something to do in the bay anyway, I made myself a tea, sat down in the kitchen with my laptop and while the inhabitants blissfully slept I surfed through the bay.
When I entered the wheel cut in the search bar, more a reflex than a well thought-out thought, a bid was displayed. Freshly adjusted, a few hours ago.
Rifle loaded and secured! And with my mouth open, I read the offer. Adrenaline pumping through my body! This supplier got the Radcliff as a present, had sprayed it once, and he simply did not agree to it. He had agreed with the donor to be allowed to sell the fragrance and from the proceeds the children should receive a small additional Christmas present, it was the beginning of December.
For not even half of the EIA there was the wheel cut, almost all cartridges fell out of my belt or my eyes out of my head!
The sales text was written so nicely, one had the receipt as proof of origin, from first-class attitude, condition very well and I, I made myself ready for the hunt. I put on the cuddly socks, made myself comfortable, took an upright position on the chair and fired the final shot - in the middle of the night, alone in the kitchen. But I'll hunt on my own, in peace.

Roaring Radcliff is not a complex extraordinary fragrance, that may be.
But this fine aromatic tobacco note, together with the alcohol, the gingerbread and the fruits (but they are in there) make the scent on my husband's skin a loving experience.
No one else could smell so wonderfully warm and familiar with the wheel cut, I just put this claim up like that, trohning on my high seat, the cuddly socks on my feet and the rifle at foot!
The Radcliff now stands next to the Clara, looking good together, the two.

PS: for this comment no animals were injured, big game hunter honor word!
Roaring Radcliff. By Ken Loach
Whenever Radcliff had picked up his prop, he would go straight to the next Tesco. There he bought four boxes of rum aroma, 3 bottles of vanillin, two pounds of sugar and the cheapest gin and bought an unbearably ambrox-heavy aftershave for £ 2.99 from Boots next door. At home, in his filthy one-room-hole, he mixed everything in an old bucket and began to sing old military songs, fogged by the rising smell. Finally, he put on the worn polyester smoking jacket he had bought from Marks & Sparks years ago. Then he poured the contents of the bucket over his head and body and caught, snorting and wagging his arms, marching through the room, chanting, at some point screaming: I AM THE RIGHT LORD RADCLIFF, I AM THE RIGHT LORD RADCLIFF. As always, the neighbours knocked first, then the police and finally an ambulance came. It would probably be a couple of days back in psychiatric. They already knew "Roaring Radcliff" there well.
Can a woman smoke here?
Roaring Radcliff is the pipe tobacco I have always been looking for, and I would not only wear it with enthusiasm, but smoke it as well. It is friendly and medium-light (definitely lighter than Vanilla Tobacco), a bit sweet but not too much and in my opinion has a wonderful natural pipe-tobacco aroma despite gingerbread and rum.

However, I would not call this tobacco "roaring" back and front. It reminds me of a loving and good-natured grandfather.

The durability is good, the sillage is probably a bit stronger and the price is a bit lower, sigh!

CymCym 2 years ago
If you want to smell like gingerbread, this is the perfume for you. On me the rum and tobacco notes are subtle and gingerbread looms large.

Popular Penhaligon's

Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George by Penhaligon's Sartorial by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Halfeti by Penhaligon's Luna by Penhaligon's Portraits - Much Ado About the Duke by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Lothair by Penhaligon's Portraits - Clandestine Clara by Penhaligon's Douro Eau de Portugal by Penhaligon's Malabah (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Belgravia Chypre by Penhaligon's Iris Prima by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - As Sawira by Penhaligon's Lily of the Valley (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Artemisia (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Portraits - The Uncompromising Sohan by Penhaligon's Lavandula by Penhaligon's Cornubia by Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Portraits - The Coveted Duchess Rose by Penhaligon's Savoy Steam (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's