Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George (2016)

Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George by Penhaligon's
Bottle Design: Marc Ange, Illustration: Kristjana S Williams

Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George is a popular perfume by Penhaligon's for men and was released in 2016. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Puig.

Top Notes Top NotesBrandy
Heart Notes Heart NotesShaving soap
Base Notes Base NotesTonka bean

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 17.10.2019

10.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

Landlord
The skin of a gentleman...
After a long dry spell - when it comes to discovering a really inspiring scent - "The Tragedy of Lord George" is once again a real highlight. Although he doesn't really want to be one. And that's exactly what makes him... This Penhaligon´s does not impose itself and is nevertheless constantly present. One of the fragrances that manages to escape directly from my skin, warm, masculine, soothing... - with considerable "whirring factor".

The most attention-grabbing thing about him is the scent pyramid. The mention of only three, in their combination somewhat more bizarre, ingredients may fit the marketing concept of portrait fragrances, at least they do not reflect my perception of fragrance. Brandy...? Yeah, burnt smells already... alcoholic smoking notes at the beginning, which I would like to crawl into immediately... Shaving soap...? Well... if it is, it's one that's quite ambry and patchouli refined... woody, a little resinous, creamy... what harmonizes perfectly with the tonka bean and provides for a soft, but not too sweet finish... after 9 - 10 hours with a spray! Wow!

No, this fragrance is not "new" in the strict sense. It's more of a scent that's always been there. The scent of a gentleman just... of not obtrusive, but very present perfection... balanced surprising... and masculine. Definitely!

The first Penhaligon´s to make it on my wish list. And all the way to the top! He'll probably stay there. Gentlemen don't talk about money, but Penhaligon´s unfortunately already...
9.0 7.0 9.0 10.0/10

Amorpsyche99
Whoa! That's a little water with a loooong finish
I had given the perfume to my husband.
He had immediately tried it with a few scents.
We had only just noticed the top note Brandy, because with increasing minutes a wonderful mixture of whisky barrels with herrrlich fragrant Cognac sneaked into our noses.

So far so called..

The described heart note shaving soap we had only been able to perceive after an hour, whereby not only a wonderful kind of soap smell, but predominantly earthy and even wooden notes became predominantly noticeable. Great!

After a few hours the hammer came!

Tonka bean like my husband and I have never perceived it like this before. Wonderfully wrapped in indescribable fragrances.

This wonderfully effective base note is still perceptible after 5 days on the scarf and Hend of my husband...Traumhaft.
Therefore 10 points
9.0 8.0 9.0 8.5/10

The Lord - Noblesse oblige
The head of the family in Penhaligon's family constellation. Belonging to the high nobility, the character, expressed by a stag crowned with a stately tithe, radiates reliability, nobleness and tradition consciousness. With apparently only three scents, the round image of a man succeeds who, conscious of his social position, retains his composure, preserves the outer facade.
The lord seems to be waiting for us with a glass of brandy in the mahogany-panelled salon. The old matured brandy, not whisky or rum, exudes its bouquet from the cut crystal carafe. It's not some brandy flag of the lord, as some suspect. Even if he likes brandy, he always preserves the picture, is aware of his position.
It has to be in the morning. Traditionally shaved with a good shaving soap, or probably rather shaved, the Lord appears to us. No three-day beard, no sloppy appearance in elastic trousers, a role model for the conservatives among us. And yet, a warmth mixes with the appearance. The Lord is empathetic, reliable and reliable and receives with a warm cordiality. For me a harmonious picture of how exactly such a morning could smell in the stately house. Of course there would be more, but all other fragrant family characters also contribute to this.
One day I will recreate the family picture with real people and the scents belonging to the characters in order to test the effects of the scents on each other. Until then I slip myself from one character to the next, because I like to wear the portraits of the gentlemen, depending on mood and occasion. I haven't approached the women's fragrances yet.
9.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

Sharka
In an English port in the late 19th century...
After I had just discovered the Penhaligon's fragrances for myself, especially the "Portraits" series, I of course also had to test this men's fragrance.

A liquid of the colour of cold-pressed olive oil rolls in the sample tube. After the application something indefinable, alcoholic is perceptible for a very short time, but it says goodbye to my skin already after a few seconds.

Now it gets exciting: after a few minutes I smell tar and ropes in the biting sun of a Victorian port. In my mind's eye, frigates marked by the sea and wind appear, sluggishly bobbling around at their berths. Only seagull cries, quiet creaking rigging and gurgling water are audible. Otherwise it is completely quiet - by British standards the too hot sun has brought all activities to a standstill.

Well, Lord George, you here? I wonder what this fancy-dressed, a little pale guy with the high top hat is doing here Seal an important deal? Even buying a ship or inspecting goods from India that he ordered over a year ago? He has a half-full glass with him, from which he always nervously sips a red-gold liquid. Ts-ts-ts! But that's not exactly the fine English way to go...

Whatever the visibly agitated lord intends - he obviously has to drink himself half an hour of courage before he disappears with his high-percentage drink between a stack of bags that add a slight pepper note to the smell of tar and heated wooden planks. Or is it the aftershave of the lord that turns out a little more penetrating in the heat than usual?

Very mysterious! - and an interesting, not everyday fragrance, which I can well imagine in a man who is as "sophisticated" as he is down-to-earth. I will not wear it myself because it is too masculine for me, but I already know to whom I bequeath the test tube: my good friend J., who is not only very fond of Victorian times, but also sailed around Gibraltar as a sailor on the frigate "Shtandart". No one else will appreciate him as much.

MRoth 11 months ago
The notes list leaves a lot out - primarily a gigantic lavender. More of a creamy/sweet fougere than the boozy tonka bomb I was expecting.+1
6.0

by JU1993
by MaxBill
by MaxBill

Popular Penhaligon's

Sartorial by Penhaligon's Malabah (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Artemisia (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Endymion by Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Juniper Sling by Penhaligon's Cornubia by Penhaligon's Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's Lily of the Valley (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Iris Prima by Penhaligon's Vaara by Penhaligon's Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George by Penhaligon's Elixir by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Lothair by Penhaligon's Luna by Penhaligon's Amaranthine (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Ellenisia by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Halfeti by Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's LP No.9 for Ladies by Penhaligon's