Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George (2016)

Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George by Penhaligon's
Bottle Design Marc Ange, Illustration: Kristjana S Williams

Top 69 in Men's Perfume
Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George is a popular perfume by Penhaligon's for men and was released in 2016. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Puig.

Top Notes Top NotesBrandy
Heart Notes Heart NotesShaving soap
Base Notes Base NotesTonka bean

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 23.03.2020.

9.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

DerDefcon
Barbershop in a different way.
If a so-called barbershop fragrance wants to arouse my goodwill - others rather talk about fougère fragrances - he doesn't have it easy. Lavender, probably the most obligatory element in such a perfume, may be present, but please dose it carefully. Otherwise I'll quickly lose my mood, as I unfortunately had to find out with "masculien Pluriel" from Kurkdjian.
Herbs or generally green notes are also allowed, but please keep them present in an appropriate degree. Tom Ford's "Beau de Jour", for example, has a little bit too much of this, and the lavender is also clearly too herbaceous for me here.

Let's summarize:

I wear barbershop fragrances as long as they are consistent with lavender, which is not too herbaceous or scratchy, and the greenery - often herbs or vetiver - is neatly integrated and does not take over the complete olfactory dominance within a fragrance composition.
In the end, all this means that I have a hard time finding the right barbershop fragrance for me, which should be classic but by no means stale.

Now I recently acquired a small bottling here in the souk, which was drawn from an exciting, but somehow also rather kitschy, but almost unmistakable bottle. The name "The Tragedy of Lord George" may have a certain background (I think I once saw something on Youtube), but fortunately, there is no need to speak of a tragedy here.
Everything starts with an alcoholic prelude, which is definitely due to the brandy that can be found in this really very clear scent pyramid. It is a little bit sweetish at the beginning, which is typical for many alcoholic beverages. A bit of woodiness also resonates - reminiscent of a brewery cellar. The alcoholic sweetness fades into the background after only a few seconds, which is probably caused by the addition of shaving soap, a somewhat strange scent. This scent is strange because there are many different kinds of soap in terms of smell and ingredients. It is this soap that now provides the barbershop flair. It seems as if we are dealing with one that is based on lavender and rose. After all, I smell something subtly herbaceous, but it doesn't sting my nose at all or remind me of my grandfather's always overdosed after shave. The rose, which I also heard, captivates with a reserved, very clean and above all mature appearance. I think this is a nice contrast, with which one can counter my fear note, the lavender. Perhaps other perfumers should take a look at this as well.
By the way, the initial brandy woodiness is still present, will accompany us throughout the entire fragrance and is on the whole a really well implemented alcoholic note that appeals to me. Other waters, which play generously with rum or whiskey, do not manage this.

After we have devoted ourselves to the first two fragrances, which are of course somehow composed of several, we now turn our attention to the tonka bean, which is added a little later and succeeds in giving the still quite conservative-scented creation a twist of modernity, whereby I like to replace the attribute "conservative" with "classic", which is inevitably associated with timelessness. Through the tonka bean - not too sweet or vanilla here - Alberto Morillas underlines his, in my opinion, successful interpretation of a clean barbershop scent with a little sweetness. Here, too, all of this takes place in a controlled way. Nothing is hyperglycaemic, sticky or prescription for diabetics. There is also no prescription requirement as far as durability and sillage are concerned, because the environment is neither harassed nor slain. Some lavender barbershop competitors also know this differently. All in all, this fragrance is a good alternative for fougère-sensitive noses. I would even claim that there is a certain signature fragrance potential if - yes, if - the price wasn't there
7.0 7.0 6.0/10

DarkWinterCS
A barbershop calls for a foam party
Often one cannot deny many fragrances from the somewhat higher priced segment. It is simply the subjective impressions that decide, which crystallize more and more, since niche fragrances tend to test the extremes and highlight certain notes So also with this specimen. I don't want to deny the Penhaligons the quality, I just imagined a different interplay. Since this unfortunately works in a direction which is rather unpleasant for me, this one will not load with me. Maybe it's because this was my first barbershop fragrance and I found that I didn't like the smell of barbershop or shaving foam in a perfume at all.
It may be the sweetness that makes it unbearable for me to spray these scents on my neck.

But it probably happens to many people that through the large Parfumo Community, fragrances land on you that you could not imagine before. So this journey also includes a lot of new things and many discoveries. I have discovered for myself that barbershop fragrances will no longer be on my wish list.
10.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

Landlord
The skin of a gentleman...
After a long dry spell - when it comes to discovering a really inspiring scent - "The Tragedy of Lord George" is once again a real highlight. Although he doesn't really want to be one. And that's exactly what makes him... This Penhaligon´s does not impose itself and is nevertheless constantly present. One of the fragrances that manages to escape directly from my skin, warm, masculine, soothing... - with considerable "whirring factor".

The most attention-grabbing thing about him is the scent pyramid. The mention of only three, in their combination somewhat more bizarre, ingredients may fit the marketing concept of portrait fragrances, at least they do not reflect my perception of fragrance. Brandy...? Yeah, burnt smells already... alcoholic smoking notes at the beginning, which I would like to crawl into immediately... Shaving soap...? Well... if it is, it's one that's quite ambry and patchouli refined... woody, a little resinous, creamy... what harmonizes perfectly with the tonka bean and provides for a soft, but not too sweet finish... after 9 - 10 hours with a spray! Wow!

No, this fragrance is not "new" in the strict sense. It's more of a scent that's always been there. The scent of a gentleman just... of not obtrusive, but very present perfection... balanced surprising... and masculine. Definitely!

The first Penhaligon´s to make it on my wish list. And all the way to the top! He'll probably stay there. Gentlemen don't talk about money, but Penhaligon´s unfortunately already...
9.0 7.0 9.0 10.0/10

Amorpsyche99
Whoa! That's a little water with a loooong finish
I had given the perfume to my husband.
He had immediately tried it with a few scents.
We had only just noticed the top note Brandy, because with increasing minutes a wonderful mixture of whisky barrels with herrrlich fragrant Cognac sneaked into our noses.

So far so called..

The described heart note shaving soap we had only been able to perceive after an hour, whereby not only a wonderful kind of soap smell, but predominantly earthy and even wooden notes became predominantly noticeable. Great!

After a few hours the hammer came!

Tonka bean like my husband and I have never perceived it like this before. Wonderfully wrapped in indescribable fragrances.

This wonderfully effective base note is still perceptible after 5 days on the scarf and Hend of my husband...Traumhaft.
Therefore 10 points
9.0 8.0 9.0 8.5/10

The Lord - Noblesse oblige
The head of the family in Penhaligon's family constellation. Belonging to the high nobility, the character, expressed by a stag crowned with a stately tithe, radiates reliability, nobleness and tradition consciousness. With apparently only three scents, the round image of a man succeeds who, conscious of his social position, retains his composure, preserves the outer facade.
The lord seems to be waiting for us with a glass of brandy in the mahogany-panelled salon. The old matured brandy, not whisky or rum, exudes its bouquet from the cut crystal carafe. It's not some brandy flag of the lord, as some suspect. Even if he likes brandy, he always preserves the picture, is aware of his position.
It has to be in the morning. Traditionally shaved with a good shaving soap, or probably rather shaved, the Lord appears to us. No three-day beard, no sloppy appearance in elastic trousers, a role model for the conservatives among us. And yet, a warmth mixes with the appearance. The Lord is empathetic, reliable and reliable and receives with a warm cordiality. For me a harmonious picture of how exactly such a morning could smell in the stately house. Of course there would be more, but all other fragrant family characters also contribute to this.
One day I will recreate the family picture with real people and the scents belonging to the characters in order to test the effects of the scents on each other. Until then I slip myself from one character to the next, because I like to wear the portraits of the gentlemen, depending on mood and occasion. I haven't approached the women's fragrances yet.
9.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

Sharka
In an English port in the late 19th century...
After I had just discovered the Penhaligon's fragrances for myself, especially the "Portraits" series, I of course also had to test this men's fragrance.

A liquid of the colour of cold-pressed olive oil rolls in the sample tube. After the application something indefinable, alcoholic is perceptible for a very short time, but it says goodbye to my skin already after a few seconds.

Now it gets exciting: after a few minutes I smell tar and ropes in the biting sun of a Victorian port. In my mind's eye, frigates marked by the sea and wind appear, sluggishly bobbling around at their berths. Only seagull cries, quiet creaking rigging and gurgling water are audible. Otherwise it is completely quiet - by British standards the too hot sun has brought all activities to a standstill.

Well, Lord George, you here? I wonder what this fancy-dressed, a little pale guy with the high top hat is doing here Seal an important deal? Even buying a ship or inspecting goods from India that he ordered over a year ago? He has a half-full glass with him, from which he always nervously sips a red-gold liquid. Ts-ts-ts! But that's not exactly the fine English way to go...

Whatever the visibly agitated lord intends - he obviously has to drink himself half an hour of courage before he disappears with his high-percentage drink between a stack of bags that add a slight pepper note to the smell of tar and heated wooden planks. Or is it the aftershave of the lord that turns out a little more penetrating in the heat than usual?

Very mysterious! - and an interesting, not everyday fragrance, which I can well imagine in a man who is as "sophisticated" as he is down-to-earth. I will not wear it myself because it is too masculine for me, but I already know to whom I bequeath the test tube: my good friend J., who is not only very fond of Victorian times, but also sailed around Gibraltar as a sailor on the frigate "Shtandart". No one else will appreciate him as much.

AmberScent 131 days ago
Boozy, spicy, sweet and classy with a fougére barbershop hint. Royalty entered in my closet.+3
9.0
MRoth 16 months ago
The notes list leaves a lot out - primarily a gigantic lavender. More of a creamy/sweet fougere than the boozy tonka bomb I was expecting.+1
6.0

Der Tragödie erster Teil: Lord George vor dem Schloss - Ungemach droht
by Dunki
by Dunki
Der Tragödie zweiter Teil:   Am Schlossteich ward Lord George das letzte mal gesehen
Ye Good Olde Times
by MaxBill
by BoBoChamp
by BoBoChamp

Popular Penhaligon's

Sartorial by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Halfeti by Penhaligon's Luna by Penhaligon's Portraits - Much Ado About the Duke by Penhaligon's Portraits - Roaring Radcliff by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Lothair by Penhaligon's Portraits - Clandestine Clara by Penhaligon's Douro Eau de Portugal by Penhaligon's Malabah (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - As Sawira by Penhaligon's Iris Prima by Penhaligon's Artemisia (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Belgravia Chypre by Penhaligon's Lily of the Valley (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Lavandula by Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Gardenia by Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Cornubia by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Cairo by Penhaligon's