Portraits - Roaring Radcliff 2017

Portraits - Roaring Radcliff by Penhaligon's
Portraits - Roaring Radcliff is a popular perfume by Penhaligon's for men and was released in 2017. The scent is spicy-sweet. It was last marketed by Puig. Pronunciation

Daphné Bugey

Top Notes Top NotesRumRum
Heart Notes Heart NotesTobaccoTobacco
Base Notes Base NotesGingerbreadGingerbread

Submitted by Michael, last update on 02.10.2022.

This fragrance won the Fragrance Foundation Award 2018 in the Perfume Extraordinaire category.

1 in-depth fragrance description

Just doesn't last
I was excited to try this because of the notes are just what I like. I had a 2ml sample sent from Penhaligon's to try first in the hope of buying a bottle. Reading the reviews here the longevity seems to be good but I guess this is based on earlier versions. The 2021 version disappeared very quickly on my skin and most perfumes perform well on me. It smells lovely but the performance is poor.
Toemsken
I love you like a fat kid love cake
Well, gingerbread, I have arrived again at a Gourmand, I like Gourmands, they smell super delicious, however, I find them unwearable, because I do not want to smell like food or pastries. A perfume must fit me and underline my character and appearance, with a Gourmand this is not possible in my eyes, yet I find them delicious.

With this simple gem, it also came directly back to my mind that it must be a gourmand, because after the light rum has disappeared from the top note or has made room for the gingerbread, the gingerbread dominates. This makes it hard for me to wear it, but it's still subtle and doable. Rather I would reach here to Enigma Cologne, which is but priced again higher.

The durability and sillage of the Radcliff is very good, you get something for your money here because the bottle is also very convincing and an eye-catcher. If you look for offers you can get hold of this perfume for about 170 € which is worth the price in my opinion, I would pay more reluctantly.

The fragrance runs linear and you can read the scent perfectly by the pyramid, with rum and tobacco are inferior to the gingerbread, it does not change much and yes he is simple but good. H+S+F are great and the scent itself has quality too. You should check him out if you're into light rum and tobacco and gourmands.

I like him and he will probably go into my collection.

Try it, it is quite interesting and quite funny to smell gingerbread in a perfume.

Thanks a lot!

MonsieurMood
Looking too deep into the rum glass ? Fortunately not.
When I got Roaring Radcliff sprayed on my wrist by the lady today for the first time in the perfumery of my confidence, I thought at first: Great, now I smell as if I had fallen into a barrel of rum, although I made it very clear to her that I don't like alcoholic aromas in perfumes. And I'm glad she convinced me to at least give Radcliff a chance. Because she should be right, what happened after some time in the drydown is just magic. Little by little the rum moves into the background and tobacco and the gentle sweetness of honey unfold and unite to a firework of senses, just great coordinated, make the perfume a very noble scent. There is almost nothing left of the rum and for me personally this is a good thing, because what is left of it is exactly right for my senses to make the perfume what it is: a creative, great perfume that should make its wearer happy. Although I have taken another fragrance in the perfumery into my heart, Roaring Radcliff remains in my thoroughly positive memory and so it is quite possible that this perfume will find its way to me at some point. I will test the bottling I took with me extensively and bear the initially strong rum tone, because what comes after that is simply worth it. In that sense...Cheers!
Floyd
A song for autumn that tells of winter
"I always liked simple songs" (John Lennon)
Similar to scents, music seems to be able to engage directly in emotions. The more complex tonal compositions often only leave a lasting impression in the aftermath when everything has come together, sometimes it takes several attempts to learn to love them. Simple songs, on the other hand, often address the listener's feelings more directly. John Lennon was certainly a prime example of the fact that both can come from the pen of a composer.
Penhaligon's Roaring Radcliff is a simple song. In contrast to complex fireworks of ingredients and fragrances such as "Halfeti", he uses only three ingredients: Rum, tobacco and spices. And that works very well. First of all there is a dark, almost syrupy sweetness, which reminds of beeswax candles, only that they were covered with a hint of warm vanilla and viscous cinnamon chocolate. The other ingredients are also easy to perceive from the start, the rum produces dark red depth, the vanilla could also be in the rather lighter pipe tobacco. The whole thing is enormously round and balanced. Radcliff is a quiet song, a gourmand who creates a memory that doesn't exist yet, a song you unconsciously hum after hearing it only once, because it makes you feel calm, good, balanced. A song for the cool autumn that tells the story of winter and transports warmth.
A great development is not taking place. In the nine to twelve hour shelf life, only a continuous, seemingly infinite fadeout takes place. In general, the development is reminiscent of the 12-piano final chord of "A Day in the Life", a chord with a very long reverberation, always with a moderate, rather tight sillage. Radcliff" is a song without painful men's pain, without unhappy love or heartbreaking loss, simply an extremely delicious unisex scent for cooler days.
Casiva
Loud in summer, shy in winter
Short review (no perfume-typical poetry!) of a fan of this perfume, who has been using the fragrance for half a year:

In summer, the fragrance seems to reach its full potential. Here the Sillage is the best I have ever experienced! None of my Amouage can get it, not even the Acqua di Parma Oud.
BUT: The scent doesn't develop a bit! The 3 notes remain for hours, do not alternate in their intensity or the like. Ok, a self-confident man is finally 24h self-confident and does not change, right?!

In winter, however, the Sillage collapses strongly! Strong in the first hour, then clearly cooler, more reserved, more shy. The difference to the unfolding in summer is immense!

Durability always excellent, but the Sillage is really weather dependent.
Almost stopped using the scent in winter. I'd rather save it for the warmer days. A real Sunnyboy just that Redclif...

3 short views on the fragrance
MikaelMikael 11 months ago
Very strong, 1-2 sprays maximum for me. It's a pleasant scent, but to be honest, quite boring.
MRothMRoth 1 year ago
Delicious accords stapled together artlessly. Radcliff needs some finishing school before he can sit with the likes of TV and Tabac Rouge.
CymCym 4 years ago
If you want to smell like gingerbread, this is the perfume for you. On me the rum and tobacco notes are subtle and gingerbread looms large.

Images

4 fragrance photos of the community

Popular by Penhaligon's

Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Halfeti by Penhaligon's Sartorial by Penhaligon's Portraits - Changing Constance by Penhaligon's Luna (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Babylon by Penhaligon's Portraits - Much Ado About the Duke by Penhaligon's Portraits - The Blazing Mr Sam by Penhaligon's Brilliantly British by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Lothair by Penhaligon's Douro Eau de Portugal by Penhaligon's Portraits - The Uncompromising Sohan by Penhaligon's Portraits - Clandestine Clara by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Halfeti Leather by Penhaligon's Iris Prima by Penhaligon's Portraits - The Bewitching Yasmine by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - As Sawira by Penhaligon's Belgravia Chypre by Penhaligon's Lily of the Valley (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Lavandula by Penhaligon's