Portraits - The Bewitching Yasmine 2017

Portraits - The Bewitching Yasmine by Penhaligon's
Bottle Design Marc Ange, Illustration: Kristjana S Williams
Portraits - The Bewitching Yasmine is a popular perfume by Penhaligon's for women and was released in 2017. The scent is spicy-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Puig. Pronunciation

Marie Salamagne

Top Notes Top NotesCardamomCardamom CoffeeCoffee
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine sambacJasmine sambac
Base Notes Base NotesFrankincenseFrankincense Tahitian vanillaTahitian vanilla Laotian oudLaotian oud

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 16.09.2022.

1 in-depth fragrance description

Mlleghoul
Both opulent and trashy like Peggy Bundy through the lens of a 1970s New Wave Czechoslovakian gothic drama
The copy for The Bewitching Yasmine from Penhaligon’s Portrait collection is kind of silly in a Regency romance sort of way “Yasmine’s sights are set on London – and a suitable match. Her fragrance is a voluptuous affair: jasmine, incense, oud. A celebration of all that is gloriously sensual. Who could resist?” But the musky shadows of this deliriously poisonous confectionery fairy tale floral reads less like a novel of manners and more like a New Wave Czechoslovakian gothic drama through a slightly sleazy and heavily decadent 1970’s lens. And if in that word salad of melodrama you sussed that I am obliquely referring to a gloriously wicked character from the 1972 film Morgiana, then we are obviously besties. If you’re not keeping up, that’s okay, we’ll visit another point of reference. Imagine the vanilla-dusted amaretto-spiked jasmine and sassafras latte of Dior’s Hypnotic Poison and lock it in a psychedelic velvet carpet bag with oud’s bitter earthy fables, and the strange otherworldly poetry of cardamom incense. Bury the satchel for one hundred years in an abandoned cliffside cemetery, dig it up, air it out, and the resulting fragrance is The Bewitching Yasmine. Or, back to Morgiana–although the actress who played the jealous and vindictive Viktoria was singularly, splendidly perfect, and no one could ever replace her…imagine the divine tackiness of Peggy Bundy in that role? That is the very essence of Penhaligon’s The Bewitching Yasmine. This is a fragrance somehow both luxurious and trashy. What do we call the intersection of these things? Self-indulgent? Sinful? None of those really feels right. And there’s something not quite right about this scent, too–maybe that’s why it’s so much evocative fun.
Yasmine won't let go
Sometimes I'm superficial. I checked out the "portraits" because.... well, the bottles are cool. The color of the perfumes too. I, whose closet is usually only clear - white - fragrant equipped, wanted to admit something color.
The beginning made "Bewitching Yasmine". The starts - oh wonder - with jasmine, but not unreservedly sweet, but with a very spicy leg note, which I like immediately. The cardamom stands out in particular. Coffee stays very much in the background, thankfully, too much coffee gets on my nerves quickly (purely olfactory).
The spiciness becomes stronger over the next few hours, the oud comes through. For this, the jasmine flower disappears. The fragrance remains sweet, however, which is probably related to the vanilla. A gourmand - vanilla one should not expect, however, "Bewitching Yasmine" is more a spice than a sweet shelf.
And it is opulent, a nice evening - accompaniment. In the office and (in my case) at school, I'd rather bypass it. Students would smell me not only throughout the class, but through half the school building.
According to the backstory, Yasmine is from Egypt, hence the spices, and wants to hook up with a guy in England. My interpretation is that she clings very vehemently to her suitors, as Yasmine holds - no understatement - for hours. She even clings to clothes for days, so firstly you have to be VERY fond of the scent and secondly you have to think carefully about what to wear for the next few days. Three days later, I could still detect the scent on the coat sleeve I had pulled over the vest sleeve I had pulled over the shirt sleeve. I had to wash my scarf anyway, no other perfume would have had a chance otherwise.
To me, Yasmine may hang on for a long time, because I find the fragrance great and can not get sick of it

The other day in New Delhi
Since I am at the moment to the sweet Orientals very inclined (do not worry, you cute, glutäugigen toyboys - I mean the fragrances!), I took me the charming Yasmine before. Somehow I had an image of Barbara Eden in my head until the first spray, but that fizzled out faster than a Jeanie in her bottle after I perceived the top note...
1. Yasmine is not clearly feminine.
2. Jasmine or other florals have no chance to make an appearance.
3. I fell into an Indian dessert.
I like cardamom. I also like Indian, Sri Lankan or Pakistani desserts.
I also like coffee with dessert.
If you don't think like me, the scent has no place in your home.
It is a delicately vanilla-sweet, thankfully only slightly oudy, spicy, cardamom coffee treat.
Maybe Lao oud is especially nice to my nose, because it can't get enough of this scent.
If it came from Guerlain, I would have bought it already. So I'm still considering, but as a now-time oriental, it can definitely hold a candle to my recently tested 80s orientals: It's modern, oudy, gourmand, and doesn't smell like shoulder pads and old aunts. If that's not a selling point, I'll eat an eaglewood broom.

1 short view on the fragrance
RazvanykeRazvanyke 7 months ago
For bold women only, this is really oudy and with slight vanilla note. Frankincense can be felt too, it is a loud fragrance, unisex more.

Images

4 fragrance photos of the community

Popular by Penhaligon's

Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Halfeti by Penhaligon's Sartorial by Penhaligon's Portraits - Changing Constance by Penhaligon's Luna (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Portraits - Roaring Radcliff by Penhaligon's Portraits - Much Ado About the Duke by Penhaligon's Portraits - The Blazing Mr Sam by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Babylon by Penhaligon's Brilliantly British by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Lothair by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Halfeti Leather by Penhaligon's Douro Eau de Portugal by Penhaligon's Portraits - The Uncompromising Sohan by Penhaligon's Portraits - Clandestine Clara by Penhaligon's Iris Prima by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - As Sawira by Penhaligon's Belgravia Chypre by Penhaligon's Lily of the Valley (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Lavandula by Penhaligon's