Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George 2016

Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George by Penhaligon's
Bottle Design Marc Ange, Illustration: Kristjana S Williams
Top 63 in Men's Perfume
Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George is a popular perfume by Penhaligon's for men and was released in 2016. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Puig. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBrandyBrandy
Heart Notes Heart NotesSoapSoap
Base Notes Base NotesTonka beanTonka bean

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 24.05.2022.

The beauty of marketing
Penhaligon´s, which is a company owned by PUIG is one that can be called many names but for sure not boring or bland -> they have the lovely portraits collection with exquisite bottles, they have the history and they have an interactive website which can take you to the history of the brand.

The only tragedy regarding this scent is the longevity, it will literally go away after only a few hours - but those hours will make it leave an impression on you.

It is a simple, straightforward barbershop fragrance which you can find for 10 times less (Hm Hm Tailors of Old Bond Street) but not made by Alberto Morillas and not combining the beautiful shaving cream note with brandy to give an ubermasculine feeling, too bad they do not make it as after-shave too - it would be a total sales hit.

I like how it starts, I like how it stays close to the skin and oh I love the bottle, I bet many people paying retail for it did it because of the bottle .. because like I said earlier, this warm barbershop smell you can find with much less - even within Penhaligon´s with the Sartorial which is a bit richer and costs the half.

The fact that they use such an attractive bottle with a lovely story behind the scent profile and with a not so special perfume, tells me what a good marketing team PUIG has.

Enjoy my long video.

Javelin42
Wear when you are on top form only
Even in small quantities this is scent which will get you noticed. Be sure you follow this up well, with sophisticated conversation and good dress; to ensure you are remembered for the right reasons. I made the mistake of wearing this to a job interview. The scent was enquired about in the feedback. DO NOT WEAR if you are out with you other half and don't want attention from other women; you will probably end up looking ridiculous and ruin the evening for her.

Brandy Oloroso Viejo Solera Gran Reserva
Anyone who has thoroughly explored a liquor store has likely seen bottles with the word "solera" sprinkled on the label. Suppose the aging solera system is a foreign concept to you. In that case, it's easy enough to understand, primarily if you paint a picture of the process in your head. A solera system involves rows of barrels stacked on top of each other. The lower row of barrels, called the solera, contains the spirit that has aged the longest. When it comes time to bottle some of that spirit, it's taken from this lower row of barrels, say about a third of the content. Then, part of the liquid from the row above is transferred to the barrels of the rows below. And so on, up to the upper barrels, filled with brand new un-aged spirit. The complete system can develop, and the process repeats itself repeatedly.
But what does the solera method have to do with this perfume? Simple. There is a woody alcoholic mention of brandy among the ingredients, which releases intensely during the bouquet's opening. This aged brandy accord immediately made me think of the expensive bottles of liqueur produced with the solera method. Changing the subject, I started my Penhaligon journey with Trade Routes Collection - Agarbathi a few months ago. I recently had a little bit of luck and bought Lord George decant blindly, only for the presence of distilled and soapy accords. Was it worth it? Absolutely yes. Would I do it again? Yup! And I'll explain why.

As soon as I spray it, I let the greenish juice melt with my skin, and a wave of cask liquor aroma slowly unfolds. It is the impression of a warm, mature, and luxury brandy aged in American oak barrels; I imagine a Cardenal Mendoza, Lepanto Oloroso Viejo, or a Carlos "I" Solera Gran Reserva. Other than the nuances above, what struck me the most is not listed on any of the websites or immediately on the Penhaligon website. And that thing is woody, and not just a hint, a good amount. A nice dry note, somehow fumy, maybe cedar? The underlying woody nuance is dry, smoky, woody, very close to the aroma of pencil shavings. When the initial booze bomb subsides - it's almost gone in the first few minutes - the scent takes a turn that I'm sure I've encountered before. I'm not surprised at how much I like this one. I think it might have something to do with the barber vibe, particularly early on. It has a kind of creamy sweetness, which could be tonka, and it certainly isn't cloying.

Lord George is a stunning modern twist on a classic fougére. While wearing it, something sharp about it reminds me of pelargonium. Still, overall, the scent is very woody and sweet. It's like a geranium leaf floating in an aged brandy glass. The fresh soapiness of neroli paired with sweet, sexy, and smoky undertones from tonka beans provides just the right amount of depth and intrigue. When that distinctive flavor lingers and mixes with the drink, then it's at your fingertips. Soap is like barber foam, the one my father made every morning by dipping the shaving brush first in hot water and then in the soap bowl. Just think of cutthroat razors and old-fashioned aftershave in the best possible sense of the word. It is chiefly delivered, and there is no question for me that anyone wearing it exudes class. The more the perfume enters the intermediate phase, the clearer the resemblance to Amber pour Homme Eau de Toilette the original before reformulation. The two smells share the same soapiness and dustiness. It is precisely the cologne I had in mind when I first smelled the smell. From this moment on, however, it is as if we were at a crossroads: the two perfumes each continue on their path, moving further and further away from each other without ever finding each other again.

As it dries, it gets slightly less creamy and soapy and a little more amber and musky, and miserably that drydown happens sooner than I'd like. It is a sweet amber with salty and musky undertones. And this sweet, boozy amber lingers on my skin for hours and hours. The base of the booziness and soapiness is a soft tonka biscuit that hints at a dark caramel or molasses, with a hint of freshly baked bread.

My final word, success. An exquisitely blended cocktail of alcoholic, amber, and woody nuances. From the first note of perfume comes an overwhelming sensation of splendor and luxury. It is precise of the aristocracy, which takes you to the days of luxurious royal concerts, luxurious palaces, and classical music, as if you were among the guests at that elegant ceremony, at that moment. This perfume blends elegantly and profoundly on the skin; it is pretty linear, although it goes through three distinct phases: alcoholic, soapy, and mushy during its growth. While it may be a little overwhelming at first, it soon becomes something more pleasant, a scent closer to the skin, intimate. I don't get great longevity and not even a ton of projection. But I don't mind at all. Traditionally leaning towards the masculine flavor, I find myself attracted to the fresh, soapy, and sweet notes that develop over time on my skin. A perfect partner to wear from day tonight. However, if you want to layer it on any other oriental woody scent, it doesn't clash in the slightest. I should reserve this fragrance for the best, preferably in the evenings, although the longevity could be better. The fragrance is surprising, rich, dark, smoky. I would have no problem wearing it in the office, on a date, or just around town. Just don't go to the club with it.

I base the review on a decant I have owned since November 2021.

-Elysium
Wonderful fragrance
To write a review of this fragrance is insanely difficult for me, because the fragrance has done it to me from the first moment. He has immediately conquered my heart and my nose. However, this also means that I will not objectively but very subjectively approach the matter.
I do not want to hold a long lecture but actually go explicitly to the fragrance.
The fragrance reveals its fragrance character right at the beginning and this does not really change much. However, this is to my knowledge with all Penhaligon's Portraits so. They are all very linear. Right from the start, the brandy comes out and is immediately underpinned by a very noticeable soapiness. It is soon joined by the tonka bean as well. There's not much more to it, but in my opinion there doesn't need to be, as the scent is so brilliantly composed that I can only say chapeau. He has conquered me and I never let him go again.
I don't know if I will ever own a more beautiful bottle. So far, he is simply by far the most beautiful of my collection.
Only the durability could be significantly better. But about the day he still accompanies me.
As always, my lord?
Asks the barber of the family head of Penhaligon's Portraits row the same. "Yes, as always William", I want to answer for the stag already, he seems to me in view of the meager notes listing after another Fougère without character. "No, not as always" improves me the gentleman, who gently smiling under his foam beard enthroned on the barber chair.

The Tragedy of Lord George is just no old-fashioned barbershop fragrance, as I had initially suspected, but incredibly portable and suitable for everyday use. Even for me as a "young man", which is still far from the gentleman age of his existence. But, the manners of a gentleman are timeless, so why not I thought.

The scent starts off very pleasantly with what it promises: an alcoholic brandy note. Not a brandy reminiscent of a filthy pub in feudal England, but a delicate, non-intrusive brandy that George could personally pour out to his guests. The brandy fades after a few initial minutes, however, making way for the soapy tonka show. Again, you don't buy a pig in a poke, though the soap is also incredibly beautiful and a little herbaceous. I sense a bit of lavender as well as woods, which are not listed but make the scent very "grounding" and woody, almost green, in the drydown. The whole spectacle lasts with me on the skin about 7-8 hours and projects moderate to good.

Conclusion: a great Fougère, which works casual as well as chic. The bottle may seem a bit cheesy, I think it's gorgeous. Should you be looking for an everyday Fougère and you find an offer around the 170 €, he is worth it all, but testing is always worth it. Certainly not the last of the portraits that move in with me, also Mr. Sam is really great

PS: my girlfriend says he smells like something noble from the stables, to interpret that is left to everyone themselves
AnjaTom
Alberto has pulled another boner!
After initial touches with this scent, I thought long and hard about writing a review about the stag or not?! Why? I don't think I initially recognized its "value" or charm.
Alberto Morillas...Hmpf...Tonka...Hmpf...these were negatively occupied slots where I initially thought I didn't even have to test it. The turnaround followed as so often when wearing, or even a day later! Said, done!

Morning, 6:00
"Crap, my perfumes are all stored in the bedroom and the ladies are still asleep!
What else do we have lying around here in the study? Ah, here, the...."
Who does not know it, just wear what is available just out of the sample....
The beginning is always hard for me because the "Lord George" but very classic-soapy.
This time you have to get over (although it is not so bad) to then come to enjoy the great DD's.

Office, 10:00
"Man, what smells so good in here? Is that something from yesterday on that hoodie?"
I unconsciously move back and forth and a wonderful haze of scent wafts into my nose!
"Ne, right? THE LORD?"
It starts as I said quite classic but then becomes modern quite quickly in the course and super wearable, even to casual! That's always very important to me!
Even if brandy is listed, for me LG is anything but an alcoholic fragrance, there is no need to be afraid of it.
Soaped tonka bean probably sums it up best!

Evening, 19:00
"Wow, this one just keeps getting better in DD, and that's what we all want."
On the clothes I like it almost even better from directly on the skin.
If I had to compare him I would use the following fragrances:
Luna Rossa Black and Olfactories - Cargo de Nuit

Only that the Lord smells opposite the LRB clearly more natural and opposite the CdN clearly more masculine!
Who likes the two above so should look past times at the Lord! He is worth a test! Shortly still on the subject of price: 235 €? No way!
But should you get him times at a rate of 170-180 €, strike!

In this sense, all the time good "sniffing" and stay healthy! TOM
Norleans
You also have to "risk" something sometimes....
Blind purchases of bottles to make, which are at, or in the three-digit euro range, I had actually accustomed me. Too often was the "blind" fragrance in the past, unfortunately, not at all as I had imagined him or as I had interpreted the comments of other Parfumos.
Sometimes, however, you can not stay true to your principles. Fortunately, I must say in this case. Already at the beginning of December I took advantage of a fair offer in the Souk and acquired the tragic Schorsch. Since then, I had plenty of time to test him.

The colder season is certainly ideal to encounter the fragrance for the first time. The "ingredients list" is not exactly overloaded. Brandy. Soap. Tonka bean. Brandy I've had before at some point. Soap I use. Tonka bean I like as ice cream on blueberry pancakes at our favorite summer restaurant.... I digress. The ingredients suggest much and fear much. But also much to hope for, which enticed me to buy it.

My hopes were not disappointed. Even if I do not recognize brandy, the note of a higher percentage alcoholic beverage, with its aromas, is quite perceptible. The soap, which is too much of a good thing for me in some fragrances, nestles nicely into the dark brandy note and could also be a "dark" shaving cream. A shaving cream that doesn't quite come across as tangy fresh out of the can, but rather how I imagine whipped up shaving cream myself. Maybe this one was even brought back from the Orient. The tonka bean brings this smooth sweetness to it- I was afraid that the tonka bean might come across as "sultry"-sweet (similar to Tom Ford's Fucking Fabulous, which I still like a lot but find unwearable). There's also a tiny hint of freshness resonating in its warmth, which gives it some airiness.

The mélange of spiritual, spicy shaving foam with fine grates of tonka bean is not only excellent for the office (if you have the luxury of being allowed to go to the office again), as well as for the new favorite leisure activities with the beloved (currently this is the weekly bulk shopping at Edeka, ...yes these are hard times).

The tragic Schorsch is distinguished, but not snobby. He smells special, but not sensational. A comparison with other fragrances is really difficult for me in this case. All I can say is that I like it and wear it really often. I can well imagine that Schorsch also in spring-like temperatures still knows how to convince.
Oh yes, the flacon! Very well finished, a great lid and an atomizer that could not atomize better, really special cream. The outer packaging is also befitting the status.
Thanks for reading and stay healthy!
Love quickly worn out
I was excited about the perfume at first. The story fits the fragrance so well. A gentleman, a lord, a real guy. One leg bent on a tree stump, shotgun leaning over it. The view into the distance. Yet somehow that was not a long love. When I smell it, the image of a glass of brandy pops into my head more and more often. Smoky pub, cigar smell. As it is in life, it was unfortunately only a short intermezzo.
A nice present or the christmas tragedy of Willy Tonka
The Brandy
Done. Willy Tonka sank into his fluffy wing chair. It was just before Christmas. That was why he was shopping, and had acquired a bag full of Christmas treats and culinary delights. Among them was his much-loved brandy. The wine distillate smells mild and nutty, slightly sweet as well as appropriately woody. Very rich and soft due to the long maturation time in the old oak barrels.
Willy Tonka was an oddball and cranky aristocrat. He had short, frizzy hair, nickel glasses sitting on his nose, and more wrinkles on his face than a shriveled apple. His aristocratic background had given him a handsome estate, as well as a lot of money and wealth. But at the same time, a lot of loneliness and social isolation. Because he was such a strange contemporary, no one really wanted to have much to do with him.
He tipped another brandy into the nosing glass, enjoyed the distillate to the full, and repeated the whole thing a few more times. Although the alcohol was already going to his head, he filled up the flask in his pocket as a precaution! "You never know" he thought to himself, and sank deep into his armchair...

The soap
Some time later he remembered the cigar he had picked up from his shopping. His shopping bag was right next to his armchair, so all he had to do was reach out and rummage for the cigar. Unfortunately, by this time, his seven senses were so befuddled by the brandy that he didn't even notice to rummage his shaving soap out of his pocket instead of the cigar...
It was a luxurious soap. It smelled soft and mild, and had an incredibly creamy aroma. You could literally guess what a subtle and elegant lavender note the lather of the soap gave off. Fresh and spicy at the same time...just appropriate for an aristocrat!
So he put the fake cigar between his lips. Still chewing on the end piece with relish, as if to get a grip on it, before the alkaline soapy lye taste hit his brain.
"Ugh Deifel...in a high arc he spat and spat the soap into the air. He wiped his mouth and face frantically, and jumped out of the chair in a high leap in horror! Unfortunately, this was his undoing. For, how could it be otherwise, he landed squarely on the soap, which hit the floor exactly a fraction of a second before he did...
It pulled his feet off with a caracho, his legs flew through the air, and he slammed relentlessly and mercilessly onto his old and frail back! Ouch!
The impact was so violent that the stag's head antlers above his chair broke free from their moorings. It crashed onto the Christmas tree below, bringing it down. The tree fell on Willy Tonka, and the antlers fixed the fir tree on Willy. The tips of the ten-ten namely bored deep into the wooden floor. With that, Willy was stapled to the parquet floor, wood and all. There was no escape...

The tonka bean
Full of desperation, Willy tried to free himself. He tugged and yanked, tore and pushed at the tree like a man possessed. But no chance. The deer head was deep in the ground!
After countless attempts to free it, an idea came to him. Much of his tree was adorned with tonka beans. He loves tonka - not least because of its name. Do they smell but highly aromatic and sweet, elegant and light vanilla as well as fine woodruff. He picked many of the fragrant beans from the tree, and packed them all in a jute bag with the remaining bars of soap. Thus he had a perfect projectile. He intended to use it, bold as he was, to set off the fire alarm. If it should sound the alarm, then surely help would quickly rush in. But how to set off a fire alarm without a fire? Apart from the fact that this was a pretty inane action.
That's right - his flask. He fumbled the flask out of his pocket, and carefully tipped the high-proof brandy over the jute bag.
How that smelled now! A beautiful creamy melange. Slightly woody-tart, fresh spice, sweetly punctuated with that elegant lavender woodruff note. Delightful!
He lit the fragrance bomb with his Zippo and hurled the fireball towards the fire alarm. Of course, he missed said detector, and caught another living "target"! His poor cat Lucky was sitting bored on the window ledge when the fragrant inferno hit him with full force...
"Miiiiiaaauuuuu" escaped the horrified cat, who immediately jumped off the ledge in a high arc and with singed fur. Completely distraught and unable to control the jump, the cat landed in the open aquarium. The water sloshed out on all sides, the cat raged in the tank, the fish spat around, and the chaos was perfect.
Suddenly there was another mighty bang! Sparks flew, appliances hissed, and in one fell swoop the whole house went dark...very dark!
All the water from the aquarium unfortunately caused an enormous short circuit on a multi-outlet. Pretty much the entire house electrical system of Willy Tonka's living room was plugged into that outlet!
Willy, still pinned under the tree, turned his head to the side. Feeling exhausted, completely deflated, resigned and devastated, he looked down into the village through a window. He saw the lights go out there too, caused by his colossal short circuit.
Everything was now dark!
But a little later, the longed-for help in the form of the fire department finally arrived at his place. Hallelujah...what a Christmas!!

This story and scent description is a collaborative project between my kids and me! Thanks so much for the energetic advice...

Wishing all readers a reflective 4th Advent and a Merry Christmas 2020!
In this very turbulent year Parfumo, and the wonderful people which I was allowed to meet here, a real enrichment and recreational oasis for me. Thank you for this and we look full of confidence in the future...

Amazing dominance
Have the fragrance now for 2 weeks and find it totally exciting. I don't think it's appropriate to give a pyramid of scents here - it's all (and sooo much more) right from the start and still the progression can't be described as straight linear - again and again another note creeps easily into the foreground.

Now I come to the headline - I played around with the scent a bit and layered different other scents with it - the result was unexpected - the scent swallows everything! No matter what I tried - it was gone in seconds and had no influence on the scent. Only Zitrik, which suits the fragrance really well - it allows some space. I can't remember ever having experienced such 'arrogance' with any other fragrance

TheBloffTheBloff 2 days ago
Soapy, clean, barbershop-like scent with a light sweetness. A transportive scent to the far past.
PedroCabralPedroCabral 1 month ago
Super masculine, definitely a suit and tie fragrance. Alberto Morillas is an artist!
Javelin42Javelin42 4 months ago
This you will never buy any other. Even in subtle applications people ask.
ElysiumElysium 6 months ago
What a fairy tale! A boozy shot, and then a full of soapy notes that recall Amber by Prada. Only three notes, but the effects is exceptional
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 2 years ago
A creamy, yet slightly boozy, clean and soapy spicy/sweet Fougère, balanced by a warm and gentle animalic earthy-woody base. Very elegant.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 2 years ago
Spicy, lavender/soap, tonka bean. Barbershop, a bit creamy and sweet. I don't smell any Brandy. Manly, elegant, not for younger people.
AmberScentAmberScent 3 years ago
Boozy, spicy, sweet and classy with a fougére barbershop hint. Royalty entered in my closet.
MRothMRoth 4 years ago
The notes list leaves a lot out - primarily a gigantic lavender. More of a creamy/sweet fougere than the boozy tonka bomb I was expecting.

by Smoetn
by Smoetn
Der Tragödie erster Teil: Lord George vor dem Schloss - Ungemach droht
by Irini
by Irini
by Dunki
by Dunki
Der Tragödie zweiter Teil:   Am Schlossteich ward Lord George das letzte mal gesehen
by CharlAmbre
Portrait vom Portrait im Tiergarten. Mit viiiiel Phantasie sieht man gaaanz hinten gaaanz klein die echten Vierbeinchen ;-)
Der Tragödie letzter Teil: Lord George an der Pforte zum Hades
by FloraBervoix
by FloraBervoix
by Baloma
by Baloma
Back to nature - Vielen lieben Dank für die positiven Kommentare!
by Danieru
by MaxBill
by Stere
by Stere

Popular by Penhaligon's

Trade Routes Collection - Halfeti by Penhaligon's Sartorial by Penhaligon's Portraits - Much Ado About the Duke by Penhaligon's Portraits - Changing Constance by Penhaligon's Luna by Penhaligon's Portraits - Roaring Radcliff by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Lothair by Penhaligon's Portraits - The Blazing Mr Sam by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Babylon by Penhaligon's Portraits - The Uncompromising Sohan by Penhaligon's Portraits - Clandestine Clara by Penhaligon's Brilliantly British by Penhaligon's Douro Eau de Portugal by Penhaligon's Iris Prima by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Halfeti Leather by Penhaligon's Portraits - The Bewitching Yasmine by Penhaligon's Belgravia Chypre by Penhaligon's Lily of the Valley (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Malabah (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - As Sawira by Penhaligon's