Trade Routes Collection - Babylon 2019

Trade Routes Collection - Babylon by Penhaligon's
Trade Routes Collection - Babylon is a popular perfume by Penhaligon's for women and men and was released in 2019. The scent is spicy-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Puig. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesSaffronSaffron
NutmegNutmeg
CorianderCoriander
Heart Notes Heart NotesCypriolCypriol
Base Notes Base NotesCeylonese sandalwoodCeylonese sandalwood
Atlas cedarAtlas cedar
Vanilla absoluteVanilla absolute

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 08.12.2021.

From Myth to History: the Tower of Babe
On the bank of the Euphrates once lay one of the ancient world’s most powerful cities: Babylon. It was the capital of Babylonia in southern Mesopotamia. Today, that’s about 60 miles south of Baghdad, Iraq. Mentioned in the opening book of the Bible, the Book of Genesis, and often dismissed as a mythical building, they have also associated the Tower of Babel with well-known Babylonian structures such as the temple of the foundation of heaven and earth. The story of its construction appears to be an attempt to explain the existence of several human languages. The Babylonians wanted to make a name for themselves by building a mighty city and a tower “with the top in the skies”. God interrupted the work by confusing the workers' language so much that they could no longer understand each other. The city was never completed, and the people were scattered across the face of the earth.
“Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other. So the Lord scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. That is why it was called Babel — because there the Lord confused the language of the whole world. From there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth.”

However, Penhaligon’s Babylon is not another Tower of Babel. Instead, it is anything but confused or scattered. It is a harmony of spicy, earthy, woody accords, all rolled into one. A fragrance for spicy lovers, Babylon opens with a powerful spicy accord, a blend of the holy trinity of spices - coriander, nutmeg and saffron. At first, I get a blast of spicy, woody, and herbal accords, with a whiff of camomile, dry flowers, hay-like nuances. Then, I perceive the slightly leathery note of saffron with a slight citrus hint of bergamot that fades quickly. I even feel notes of blanched almonds, like almond paste, not as sweet as the marzipan. I adore this mysterious fragrance because of its unique personality. Oriental notes of spicy potpourri open a door to that mystical oasis that we have rarely seen before.

Soon, the warm spicy nuance twists into something smokier, and I think it’s cypriol oil. The effect here is something intensely dry and smoky; like a burning brazier on which spices are roasted. The aroma converges into the earthy notes of cypriol in the heart, which is very dominant here. Cypriol oil blends with cedar and sandalwood reproducing a picture of ancient times, hanging gardens, making rugs and oriental beauty. Although the cypriol adds a slightly leather nuance to it, the cologne never takes the leathery way. The perfume at a certain point takes on a scent that recalls the smell of dried figs from Turkey. It is a nuance that does not resemble the classic milky fig, but is much closer to the caramelized fruit, cooked and dried in the sun. This is a nuance that I like and did not expect.

Wrapping the wearer at the base is a decadent blend of coumarin and creamy woods. I get good deep and lasting base notes of warm vanilla, sandalwood and cedarwood. It is like an amber veil that covers my skin for many hours. It might be me, however, I perceive little vanilla. Yes, there is, but it’s not a keynote, as many other people have said. I don’t find it a vanilla scent. It’s not the edible type, at least on my nose and on my skin. This is a very welcoming and comforting spiced vanilla. No sugar sweetness here. I get a lot of spiciness at the beginning, then a dry smokiness in the middle, and finally a woodiness with amber reflections. The creaminess of the sandalwood blends with the dryness of the cedar shavings, and the result is amazing.

Babylon is a fragrance that slowly grows on me, and my skin is extremely happy with this elixir. The formula and scent are simply divine, and I love the warm amber note combined with the woody base. It feels like a long, warm, comforting hug from a loved one. I rarely like gourmand vanilla on my skin. Still, the spice and bittersweet undertone similar to caramel and almond come together in beautiful, sweet harmony. I find it a perfect choice for fall, and as we’re heading into winter, I feel this is an excellent addition to the winter rotation. The duration is excellent, while the projection is a bit contained.

I base the review on a decant I have owned since November 2021.

P.S. After wearing the perfume a few times, I can say that in my opinion, Babylon differs a lot from Horizon Extreme, in which the aromatic tones of rosemary prevail. Instead, I noticed a certain resemblance to Lalique Le Parfum Eau de Parfum, especially in the drydown where they bestow the same spiciness and creaminess. While not clones of each other, the two perfumes share some sensations and vibrations.

-Elysium
Rivers of Babylon
That was one of the hits in the 70s. By Frank Farian, the David Guetta of that time. This song was played at every party. No one understood, I claim now, what the song lyrics were about. But everybody was bawling along to "By the Rivers of Babylon". And today I read that the original is by a Jamaican trio from 1970. And they're singing from Psalm 137, which is about the exiled Jews who were taken to Mesopotamia by Nebuchadnezzar - and they're weeping for their homeland of Jerusalem.
And what does Babylon of Penhaligon smell like now? Perhaps it smells like the Babylon of that time, certainly very oriental. I smell fine spices, saffron, cardamom, nutmeg and vanilla, maybe even a pinch of cinnamon. An Arabian spice bazaar could smell like this already. Through Cypriol it has for me an oudy note, may be from the combo Cypriol saffron. That's why I immediately think of "Aoud Vanilla | Mancera". Yes, I think it's very close to that. I also like it very much. I already thought at the first sniff, hm, I've smelled something similar before. And it has a fruity note. Some have written here that it's similar to Arabesque.. Yes, also. But I don't smell a plum. If it's Babylon, it's more likely to be dates. But fruit isn't listed as a scent anyway. From Golden Powder he has for me also something.
He is already sweet, the Babylon, but still within the framework. I find, the sweetness increases over time first, then he becomes warmer and towards the end again woodier and the spices and the sweetness lose again and become less.
A great made oriental fragrance with very good durability.

And what I especially love about the Penhaligon, are the atomizers. Since you do not spray, since you are befogged, so fine are these atomizers. Each sprayer is a dream for me - just like Portraits - Much Ado About the Duke - Penhaligon delivers there simply a very good quality.

Rich and intoxicating
I bought a small sample for my husband, but ended up wearing it myself, too. Babylon is an oily, deeply spicy vanilla fragrance that has amazing longevity. The sillage goes through my mask, so it’s also decent. I imagine it’s perfect for warmer weather, when one’s body heat might activate the spices even more.

It starts out very woody to me, but the spices crawl up through the resins and burst with vanilla. It’s an absolute delight!

On my wish list!

Ancient city style
Since I'm currently in London, I thought I'd take a look at Penhaligon's newer creations, after the brand had somehow fallen into oblivion. On the 6th floor at Harrod's, the luxury perfumery department of the house, I was told that Babylon was exclusively available only there, so after a short test I made a spontaneous purchase.
I have no regrets! Even the presentation of the flacon (standard Penhaligon's glass bottle with a red bow) with an oriental "redgoldandgreen" label and the packaging are rarely beautiful and of high quality.
The first spray lands spicy and minimally earthy on the skin, I mean smelling nutmeg. And so old mesopotamian it goes on with Babylon. The spices are clearly visible, but not unpleasant, like a souk from a safe distance, a light, smoky sweetness lies over it. Resins only blink.
Little by little the earthy and smoky hints disappear and creamy sandalwood comes along, and only now I realize that I can also guess coriander. The whole thing, however, continues to be oriental-vanilla and thus quite unisex, as well as daylight-suitable, wearable.
Not breathtaking, no exuberant sillage, simply a modern, splendidly iridescent Arabic fairy tale.

ElysiumElysium 9 days ago
A bracing opening of the holy spice trinity, before focalizing on the earthy core. Covering, the base is decadent vanilla and creamy santal
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
Spicy, sweet and deeply woody. It could become a Penhaligon's reference. It went into my "desired" list. Very exclusive scent and pricing.

Rekonstruktion des Ischtar-Tores im Pergamonmuseum in Berlin
by Meinesonne85
by Meinesonne85
by Giggs1980
by Giggs1980

Popular Penhaligon's

Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Halfeti by Penhaligon's Sartorial by Penhaligon's Portraits - Much Ado About the Duke by Penhaligon's Portraits - Roaring Radcliff by Penhaligon's Luna by Penhaligon's Portraits - Changing Constance by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - Lothair by Penhaligon's Douro Eau de Portugal by Penhaligon's Portraits - The Blazing Mr Sam by Penhaligon's Portraits - The Uncompromising Sohan by Penhaligon's Portraits - Clandestine Clara by Penhaligon's Belgravia Chypre by Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection - As Sawira by Penhaligon's Malabah (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Iris Prima by Penhaligon's Lily of the Valley (Eau de Toilette) by Penhaligon's Brilliantly British by Penhaligon's Artemisia (Eau de Parfum) by Penhaligon's Lavandula by Penhaligon's