Tea Rose (1972)Eau de Toilette

Tea Rose (Eau de Toilette) by Perfumer's Workshop
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand

Tea Rose (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Perfumer's Workshop for women and was released in 1972. The scent is floral-green. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Firmenich

Top Notes Top NotesPeony, Chamomile
Heart Notes Heart NotesTea rose, Damask rose, Bulgarian rose
Base Notes Base NotesGeranium leaf, Violet leaf, Cedarwood

Submitted by Eternity, last update on 05.02.2020.

Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose
I am in love with this stuff. For a rose fragrance lover such as myself, this is a must-have! It's fairly linear, a pure rose. A fresh, bright, deep, gorgeous bouquet of dewey roses with the greenery. It's so nice! For it's price point, it really can't be beat. You basically get a jug of it for dirt cheap and even though it doesn't cost much, it smells way more expensive than it's price tag suggests.

One of my favourite things about this scent is it's versatilty. You can use it for layering with other fragrances. For example, today I did one spray of Tea Rose and one spray of Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb and it smelled heavenly! Getting whiffs of this all day while at work, made me very happy! I can see why rose in male fragrances in the middle east is such a popular trend! The only thing that I would caution people on is to go light on the trigger with Tea Rose. Do not overspray this one! One or two sprays is all you need! If oversprayed, it's too strong. This scent is a powerhouse. Not in a dated, old-fashioned sense though. It manages to be a throw-back while still maintaining a modern vibe. It's really well done. If you're not a fan of rose, you will most definitely not like this.

I am thrilled to finally have this in my collection. I wanted to try Jo Malone London Red Roses but didn't want to shell out the money for it. Now I don't feel like I have to. I'm quite happy with this and it didn't break the bank!
4.0 8.0 9.0 8.0/10

I'm four again...
Tea Rose: simple, red garden rose... - as a child I picked rose petals and put them in water ; I was four years old when I was there. Then I was very surprised that I didn't find any rose water the next day, crushed the rose petals with my fingers and rubbed me with this flower mash.
Doesn't it really sound like a beautiful rose experience? But, for me it was fascinating, I loved this greenish watery, grassy flowery smell. My mother amused herself about my rose water experiments, then immediately explained to me that unfortunately no durable rose perfume can be produced in this way, which saddened me very much.
Luckily, in my adult life, there's Tea Rose!
"Tea Rose" captures exactly that rose scent from my childhood. It is not an elaborate perfume, not a complex creation, does not smell of multifaceted, heavy rose oil based on patchouli or the like and does not undergo any development.
In his "Perfume Guide" Luca Turin names Anna Buzantian as the nose behind "Tea Rose" and describes the fragrance as one of the first niche fragrances ever. That again I find very exciting, because personally the simplicity of "Tea Rose" fascinates me so much and The Perfumer's Workshop is not normally considered a "niche house" today.
Also the price of "Tea Rose" does not speak at present for "niche", for 14 € one finds in the net a 120 ml bottle of the carefree rose summer happiness.
By the way, "Tea Rose" has much more fans in other forums than here. On Fragrantica it is really celebrated by many users (and that for years). I even have a perfume buddy who thinks he can't live without Tea Rose.
I wouldn't go that far.
The memory of the rose hedge in our garden, of my bowl with the collected flowers is enough for me... - innocent scent of a carefree childhood
3.0 6.0 6.0 3.0/10

Powdery, Jammy Turkish Delight
When I first read the reviews on this fragrance, I thought it would smell like a tea party in a rose garden, or a bouquet displayed a table amongst the petit fours and tea sandwiches. The first few moments after the fragrance is applied, I noticed it smelled more like rose flavoured Turkish delight. From what I've noticed, the rose does not change much from its jammy nature as it dries down, but the fragrance does become less rosy and more powdery and sweet with time. I was disappointed because I expected it to be more fresh and less sweet. I may learn to love it and it does become more appealing the longer it is worn. I suppose I should have expected that I would not enjoy it. Given the time period it was made and that it was known to be Princess Diana's fragrance I should have known it would not be the fresh or sensual rose fragrances I typically go for. Though I am interested in vintage, it may be that I am a bit too young to enjoy it.
8.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

Pure Rosebush...
This may seem like a simple fragrance, but it's stunning and beautiful in it's simplicity. A very realistic rose perfume with a super accurate rose note. With this one I get the green leaves, as well as the dewy petals in the morning sun. Absolutely gorgeous. This is a perfume which is not trying to do anything else other than capture the essence, the experience of smelling a rose bush in full bloom. Not an oriental rose with amber or labdanum or vanilla etc... but instead letting the flower speak for itself, with no pretensions.

A completely authentic smelling rose fragrance, and for the money, perhaps one of the best on the market. If you are a rose lover, hands down this should be one to own or at least try. Perfect quality for the price. I'm highly impressed.
2.5 7.5 10.0 7.0/10

Roomful of roses!
Just picked up this gem at Marshall's super cheap (price not smell). One spray on my inner wrist and the whole room smells like a huge bouquet of fresh roses, very realistic, greenery and all. I really do not get any other notes in this. I love roses but think I will need to be the right mood to wear it without it being too much. Sillage & trail is big on me and seems to last forever, but I will have to find a different way to wear it as it left a bright yellow spot on my wrist, like I was tagged with a highlighter.
7.5 5.0 7.5 8.0/10

Like a rose bush!
From first spray, this is gives you rose. But it isn't a standalone rose, oh no. This is one that comes with its stalk and leaves - even the entire bush!

When I spray this on, the first image that comes to mind is that of a rose garden, all in full bloom. The skies are blue, with the occasional cloud lazily drifting across the sky as you walk through the garden. And as you walk down the rows of bushes, you lean in to pick one stalk up - this is just what it is.

I've not noticed it developing much, but I could be mistaken, as I often miss notes.

Sillage is very good. It makes itself known, but not obtrusively so. Longevity on me was a little over 6 hours, which is great on my fume-drinking skin.

All in all, a rose that isn't overtly rosy, but very true to its nature.
10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Rich Scent, Poor Scent
On my desk is a 50 ml bottle of perfume that cost my husband $220. Next to it is a 120 ml bottle of perfume that cost me $14.99 and I see it can be had for less (currently $8.49 at The Perfume Spot). The first one is FM's Une Rose, the second is Tea Rose by The Perfumer's Workshop. The top notes are different -- Tea Rose flowery, Une Rose full of dank, armomatic wine lees, dark geranium and the herbal, apple-like blue chamomile. Tea Rose's ultra flowery top note quickly dissipates, though, while Une Rose's top does not. What we're left with is a wearable, beautifully realistic quite woody, ambery rose in Tea Rose and a beautifully realistic ISO-Supery dark one in Une Rose that could be considered less wearable, reeking throughout as it does, if majestically in my opinion. Do I think Une Rose is worth 25 times more? No! These are country and city cousins, both utterly gorgeous, one rich, one poor.

p.s. Having since looked up the history, I see I'm not by myself. When it was introduced in '72, Tea Rose became an "instant classic" adored by Princesses Grace of Monaco and Diana, among illustrious others, its creator a maverick who meant for everyone to enjoy his perfumes.
6.0/10

10 ft. Rose
4oz bottle, $7.00 at TJMAXX. Can't beat that with a 10 ft. rose.
Let the layering begin! Rose vanilla. Rose blackberry. Rose peach. A rose can be a rose by many other names when you layer the love.
10.0/10

The promised rose garden
I love single floral scents and Tea Rose is real rose essence. I started wearing this as a replacement for Avon's Roses Roses when it was discontinued in the 70's. The price is very inexpensive and the perfume never comes across as cheap smelling like an old fashioned air freshner. I wish Perfumers workshop had made the box a beautiful rose pink and tinted the perfume faintly rose colored...that would have been perfect for this lovely fragrance.

Awesomeness
I like looking at tea roses, just not smelling like them
Tea Rose is a perfect rose -- a pretty, itty-bitty, teeny-tiny rose from a pink tea rose bush with green leave and soft green stems.

All the raving reviews are well deserved. However, I've tried & tried to love this scent. I don't. Moreover, layering has only produced scrubbers and wasted sprays from much more expensive perfumes.

While I appreciate tea rose bushes, the bottom-line is that I don't want to walk around smelling like one.
7.0/10

Tea Rose
I have a small bottle of the parfum and dabbing pulse points with this is an absolute delight. As others have said this is as realistic as you can get to a true living rose, thorns and all. Ridiculously inexpensive and under-rated for many years because of this, the boom in niche roses in perfume ought to cause more perfumistas to seek this gem out. It's linear quality also makes this great for layering with other fragrances.
8.0/10

Rose garden
Here we have beautiful, unadorned roses, fresh and green. Although this rose is deep enough, and the fragance is filled with it to the brim, there is still air between the petals, greenery, stems and black soil, if you know what i mean. It does feel alive, which is something many rose perfumes cannot say. Just as i like it.

Rose fragance, is one of the most complex botanicals that we find in nature. And every variety, and hybrid have different nuances. Tea Rose is deceivingly simple: by using other floral and woody notes to enhance the different molecules that come with the rosa damascena that is used in perfumery, it has successfully conjured up an english garden with an enormous variety of them: deep and strong scented centifollias, exhuberant scented gallicas, delicate and watery tea roses, apricot scented sunset roses, honeyed pale yellow hybrids... They grow in arches and in bushes and climb lushly on a pergola, from white to almost black red-violet, on every shade of pink, lilac and yellow... rain soaked and sunlight warmed.

Tea Rose is strong and might overwhelm in the beginning, but i felt immediately vert confortable in it. So to me its strength is a sign of good quality, and grant me many hours of abandonment to pleasure. This is a great finding. Thank u K!
2.5 10.0 10.0 6.0/10

Wonderful? Repulsive?
I can't work out this fragrance. Every time I wear it I get more confused.

It's definitely one of the strongest, loudest, most in-your-face perfumes I've ever encountered. It's just as loud as Knowing, and that one is hard to beat. One spray and I'm not surrounded by a cloud, but a thick fog! For hours. Amazing. It's gigantic, monstrous, just as I like them.

This is also the most rosey rose perfume I've met. When my daughters were small, they used to pick tons of petals from the wild roses to crush and soak in water to make "perfume" in marmalade jars. This is exactly the same smell - except for two things:
I find a certain bitterness in Tea Rose that is a little upsetting. It also - and this is very strange - makes me think of urine somehow. It doesn't smell like urine at all! But nevertheless it leads my thoughts there. I'm worried every time I wear it if others actually smell urine?

I keep putting it on, and I keep scrubbing it after a couple of hours. I don't know what is going on here. I like it, but I don't like it. Or do I like it?
10.0/10

Roses, Roses, Roses
WOW!!! This is STRONG!!! Even for me ... but a wonderful deep, rich rose right on the bush! I don't think I've ever said this about a fragrance before ... this one will have to be treated gently when sprayed. It could very well be a killer!! I just received this in the mail untested on my skin (I knew someone who wore it about 15 years ago and loved it on her) and gave my left arm 5 healthy blasts! That was a half hour ago and I am still reeling :o) ... albeit happily so. Looking forward to the development of this one!!

Update:
About an hour in and the 'rubbery' note has disappeared (I have a sneaky suspicion it may have been the tuberose) and I'm having a cigarette ... I think this would be incredible layered over a tobacco note. Very happy chappy here :o) ... as far as I am concerned this is a unisex frag. Why should gals be the only one's to smell so divine?

And a little bit more about this fabulous fragrance:

I managed to snap up a vintage 50ml bottle of this also. I will wear the re-formulation as much as I have been (I use it as a day scent in the Salon I work in from time to time on a tropical island)and simply just LOVE it.

The vintage variety, however, is an animal of a different nature. I am told that this particular bottle hails from the early 80's ... which I have no way of confirming ( I wish frag companies would date the bottles!!) or disputing. The box is a slightly deeper shade of grey with the label being a little more ivory than my new bottles have been. The juice is also a more golden colour and the sprayer seems better than the current version ... still plastic, but more opaque. The fragrance itself is pure heaven ... richer, deeper and rounder than the one I have become accustomed to with way more Sandalwood in the base. It's EFFING fabulous!!! I will keep this one for special and continue using the other for day ... 'reformulation' is fast becoming one of the dirtiest words in my vocabulary. Thankfully Ebay abounds with vintage bottles of this ... track one down ... you'll be so glad you did!

Update:

Not as many vintage bottles left as I thought!! Will definitely have to preserve mine ...

Bcars10 3 years ago

by IIespresso
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Perfumer's Workshop

Samba / Mambo Woman by Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose Amber by Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose Mesk by Perfumer's Workshop Samba / Mambo Man by Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose Jasmin by Perfumer's Workshop Samba Nova Femme by Perfumer's Workshop Samba Natural Woman by Perfumer's Workshop Watercolors by Perfumer's Workshop Samba Nova Homme by Perfumer's Workshop Zipped Premier by Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose (Eau de Parfum) / Parfum Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop Zipped Rebel by Perfumer's Workshop Samba Heat Woman by Perfumer's Workshop Samba Kiss Woman by Perfumer's Workshop Samba Super Woman by Perfumer's Workshop Zipped Apollo by Perfumer's Workshop Unzipped Woman by Perfumer's Workshop Zipped Universe by Perfumer's Workshop Samba Amber by Perfumer's Workshop Samba Kiss Man by Perfumer's Workshop