20.1 Sorong (2019)

20.1 Sorong by Pierre Guillaume

20.1 Sorong is a new perfume by Pierre Guillaume for women and men and was released in 2019. The scent is smoky-citrusy. The longevity is above-average.

Saffron, Blackcurrant, Citruses, Kyara oud, Benzoin, Cistus, Elemi resin, Fenugreek, Cypress, Gaiac wood, Iris, Labdanum, Patchouli, Tonka bean, Ginger, Nagarmotha

Submitted by Angua, last update on 07.05.2019

The Balsamic
The first impression is that I smell something very morbid - iodine, blood and I stretch out my arm a little disgusted, but I don't like that at all. I talk shop so about 10 minutes with the best fragrance consultant I know and carefully pull the sprayed arm towards me...... What's that? I am now touched by a fragrance full of depth, warmth and something incredibly balsamic-oriental. So it has smelled at the time of Cleopatra and just make a trip to another century. This is such a thick, dark, beautiful balm that has been used for smoking and special ceremonies. Now I'm surprised mega. A very unusual and extraordinary fragrance. I think saffron gives this place that special kick. The woods, the herbs and the resins produce a fragrance that catapults one into a completely different time. I see this scent on a woman who very slowly and consciously uses her gestures, facial expressions and language. So everyone is forced to give this female the appearance she claims. One holds the air a little and is impressed by its peculiarity and this scent remains, for many more hours it floats like thick fog in the room. But I also think that this fragrance suits a gentleman who is aware of his powerful, mysterious aura and therefore fascinates both men and women. Caution the scent holds very well over so many hours, is completely different than everything so far known, develops however to a scent clothing then custom-made on the body sits and the environment attention makes - in the positive sense. Give this fragrance time and again time that really needs its development (30-40 minutes) the price is in my opinion ok, not cheap but to accept at this shelf life. I have sniffed a lot of scents but this one touched me in a special way.
10.0 7.0 8.0 9.5/10

Indonesian smoked scent
For me, the first test was simply a deterrent ... I have difficulties with some of Pierre Guillaume's creations that I know of. On the one hand to recognize the ingredients and on the other hand to value the unusual mixture of them.

Here it's more like the latter. A light incense scent per se is of course good. Refreshed with a lot of citric already unusual and very difficult to get used to. But when you add such exciting things as fenugreek, fresh elemi resin and patchouli, balsamic notes (almost unsweet!) with subtle oud/musk support and the main actor saffron, it gets exciting. Especially because 20.1 - despite its ingredients - does not smell like any of the usual oriental fragrances.

So exciting that PG has an interesting treatise on Indonesian smoking rituals on its homepage, which probably prompted M. Guillaume to compose this composition of contrasting light-dark and hard-soft accents. Another aspect was that of a protective scent in connection with smoking rituals.
I think it's an exciting but not new concept.

By the way, the scents on the outer packaging are:

Agrumes
Saffron - Cassis
Bois de Kyara
Oliban
Ambre
Musc Animalisé

and exactly the last of the ingredients differs 20.1 from another fragrance that is similar to it in a broader sense:

Comme des Garçons Eau de Parfum (1994)

which is described first-class in picture and sound by Siebter.

After a while of wearing 20.1 I noticed the similarity to CdG, but this one is much darker, doesn't smell like an oriental scent in spite of the corresponding ingredients. However, it is much rougher/aggressive and in this sense more armour than protective cover.

I think the new PG - as well as Aqaysos - is very successful. Both process black currants very differently and for this reason alone are worth a test.

Genre: Incense Fragrance without Christmas Market and Orientalisms

For whom: Lovers of portable but unusual unisex scents

Alternatives: The above Comme des Garçons Eau de Parfum and Aël-Mat by Lostmarc'h in the sense of an even softer protective fragrance with a beautiful camomile note

Conclusion: I'll stick with this brand!

by Daneh