3.1 Arabian Horse 2012

3.1 Arabian Horse by Pierre Guillaume
3.1 Arabian Horse is a popular perfume by Pierre Guillaume for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is leathery-animal. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesGrass, Plant juice, Wild flowers, Narcissus absolute
Heart Notes Heart NotesHorsehair, Leather
Base Notes Base NotesAnimalic musk, Cypriol, Woody notes, Amber

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 27.08.2020.

Originally created as a special piece for the 10th anniversary of Parfumerie Générale, the fragrance was released as a regular part of the range in 2014.

Stanze
A little off is also over
At first I smelled my sheepfold in Normandy and all my dear woolly colleagues appeared in my mind's eye. Wet straw and lanolin. After a few seconds it smelled like goat when the alleged leather came through. Maybe it's different for people who only visit riding stables, but my neighbours had both goats and horses and a friend still has exactly this combination today. I visited his white goat Norma and his horses in September. Norma smells like 3.1 Arabian Horse. He practically never rides his horses, even if he has saddlery in his stable. The (former) neighbours ride more often but mostly such a horse stands around and eats grass or runs sometimes here, sometimes there and smells not like goat.

Yes, well, if you concentrate, you can also think of the goat smell as leather. But once you've smelled the goat, it's more like "Norman goat" than Arabian horse.

But since the goat smell is very good, i.e. authentic, I wore it to the evening video and family tester M, who also knows and visited Norma, whined from time to time "mäh", when I had just gesticulated with my arm and a gush of goat smell came up.

Towards the end, the perfume became harmless and smelled of Amber.

The shelf life is quite okay with 6 to 7 hours. The Sillage was not so strong now, but at work I would definitely not recommend it, unless you work all alone, or on a farm with goats. Maybe you can wear it in equitation. I wouldn't recommend it for other sports. I'd find it a little strange to go out unless you're attending a farmer looking for a wife event. It is definitely unisex, even if it smells like female and not like male goats. There are goats in each season, therefore I see there now no problem.

Since it smells so authentic of goat, I keep the sample and will perhaps use it to travel olfactorily to rural Normandy and in thought feed Norma, the white goat. People with similar rural experiences can certainly enjoy this fragrance. People who don't know any goats might think it's a horse with leather clothes and enjoy it
BlueVelvet
Yeah, it smells like animal, but...
How I've waited so long for this fragrance!

For years I have been looking for a good horse scent that captures the warm sweetness of the horse's scent and allows me to mentally transfer my whereabouts to the stable.

And that's exactly what this fragrance does,
BUT
he's not taking me to the stable.

I would like to briefly discuss this and the structure of the fragrance:

The first whiff of the fragrance is initially noticeable because it is very sweet and "boozy".
Spontaneous associations in the first seconds are whiskey or scents like Speakeasy by Frapin.
Already after a few seconds a clear and very realistic animal scent is added (I don't know if PG cruelty free and does without scents of animal origin; please add it in the comments if anyone knows about it).

I can definitely identify this smell:
Goats.

It's no joke. I'm standing here on the side of Angua, smelling sheep
Until my mother-in-law died unexpectedly 2 years ago, she was a passionate hobby goat owner, so I had contact with these lovely, very cheeky and sometimes combative animals for years.
Goats, and especially billy goats, have a very typical dry, "tart" smell (whereas horses have a rather soft, sweetish Indian smell).

The strength of the animal decreases over time, but the slightly spicy and not very woody amber (or whiskey) component remains and both run side by side until after about 45min they start to form a unit.

The scent is quite successful, so he transports me with a glass of whiskey to the goat house and has immediately lifted my spirits by beautiful memories.
Most of the scents of my Eaux des Chevaux tested so far have never even brought me near a stable!
But there's no smell of horses in my eyes.

*I have used two sprayers of the fragrance and find it relatively close to the skin. I wear it for about 1 hour and can't say much about its durability and drydown - will be added in the evening*
Edit: After 5-6 hours he is very close, the animal has left the field. A pleasant, slightly leathery ambry tone remains, which I find quite good, but nothing special.
Edit II: I sprayed the scent on my husband earlier and asked him - without giving any further information about the scent ;like the name etc. - what his association was. He looked slightly confused and said "goat". So it seems that our goats had the scent of Arabian Horse on them pretty much exactly.

I would be very happy about a comment from someone who also has goats and ponies(te)!

Many thanks to FRAgrANTIC for the test possibility!

arabian horse
The name fits. From the very opening Arabian Horse creates a setting that evokes equestrian affairs. It smells like farms, barns and steeplechases. The topnotes are strong and urgent, but the stables-and-tack mis-en-scène is just exposition and dramatic build-up. The heartnotes are the reveal. The pacing of the perfume reminds me of the actual experience of approaching a horse. At a distance I think what sublime animals horses are. Then, each time, as I get close I'm taken aback. Fuck, they're huge. Same with Arabian Horse. As the perfume sweeps into the heart, there you are with the horse and, fuck, it's huge.

The waxy animalic sweetness is offset by a bitter green-tinged floral that gives a raunchy touch. Narcissus flowers are earthy and have a hay-like aroma. Narcissus absolute (I smelled it just once) is even more fecund than the flower. It smells of hay, yes, but it also smells of horseshit, not a bad scent by any means. Think of horseshit as filtered hay. Narcissus is one of those perfectly balanced, good-with-the-bad materials. It also has one of the most animalic facets you'll find in a botanical, which lends a credulity to the perfume's image. Still, it's only one part of the picture. The thickly layered musks have a trippy, arpeggiated circus-calliope feel. Together with the narcissus they creates an aggresive tone, balanced but mobile. More suspended or poised than settled.

The horse angle is brilliant. The scents of leather and wood play with an equestrian-lifestyle fantasy. Polished saddles and stirrups, form fitted johdpurs that sound a crisp crack when struck by a crop. It's the subdued kink that I imagine Guerlain want you to long for every time you see an Habit Rouge ad. If you're into an equestrian fantasy scene, this is the scentscape of your kink. Down on all fours with bridle and bit, mucking out the stables. Catherine the Great would have dug this stuff. But the perfume can be taken in another  way. For those of us too effete to have such vivid drama, Arabian Horse is also a well-layered woody-floral chypre with a solid dose of leather. It even has a background whiff of the flotsam found at the bottom of a purse. Arabian Horse hits the same spot for me as Jean Kerleo's brilliant 1000 for Jean Patou--tightly composed yet animalic.

I didn't follow the release of Guillaume's remixed perfumes and when I first smelled Arabian Horse (3.1) I didn't know it was a reworking of Cuir Venenum, one of my favorite perfumes by Guillaume. Both perfumes create atypical leather notes and use them to build imagistic, suggestive perfumes. They don't so much smell alike as pursue their compositional goals similarly.

from scenthurdle.com

by Irini
by Irini
by MrFumejunkie
by MrFumejunkie
by Kirthi
by Kirthi

Popular Pierre Guillaume

19 Louanges Profanes by Pierre Guillaume Myrrhiad by Pierre Guillaume Aqaysos by Pierre Guillaume Monsieur by Pierre Guillaume 21 Felanilla by Pierre Guillaume 12.1 Un Crime Exotique by Pierre Guillaume 25 Indochine by Pierre Guillaume 10 Aomassaï by Pierre Guillaume 18 Cadjméré by Pierre Guillaume 4.1 Le Musc & La Peau by Pierre Guillaume Poudre de Riz by Pierre Guillaume 8.1 L'Ombre Fauve by Pierre Guillaume 20 L'Eau Guerrière by Pierre Guillaume 02 Cozé by Pierre Guillaume 14 Iris Oriental / Iris Taizo by Pierre Guillaume 7.1 Grand Siècle Intense by Pierre Guillaume Ambre Céruléen by Pierre Guillaume 11 Harmatan Noir by Pierre Guillaume Naïviris by Pierre Guillaume 9.1 Komorebi by Pierre Guillaume