08 Intrigant Patchouli (2005)

08 Intrigant Patchouli by Pierre Guillaume

08 Intrigant Patchouli is a popular perfume by Pierre Guillaume for women and men and was released in 2005. The scent is spicy-earthy. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesLemon, Mandarin, Citron
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli, Mysore sandalwood
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Honey, Cinnamon, Ginger

Submitted by Seglein, last update on 19.06.2019

Intrigant nostalgia
Intrigant Pachouli is a nice “dark” and mellow patchouli scent with a peculiar sort of “powdery dead flowers” feel all over, a vibrant romantic mood with a slight stale aftertaste – like a dusty, old pot-pourri of dry flowers. Actually there is no flowers apparently, but the feeling of a “ghost of a chypre” is quite there in my opinion, I guess due to musks and benzoin. On the base I even smell something similar to ambergris – that same salty-rooty-mineral organic note. The addition of ginger provides a nice touch of spicy sweetness, which blends perfectly with amber to “warm” up the scent. I don’t find this that “intrigant” to be honest, rather – and pleasantly – gloomy and nostalgic, with a palpable melancholic and neoclassic refinement. A sophisticated and clever harmony played around patchouli, dark yet sweet and cozy, an elegant souvenir of a powdery-earthy chypre – like smelling your old aunt’s scarf. As other reviewers already noticed, it surely has a nice “vintage” feel, yet not smelling like a plain ripoff of an older scent. Not a masterpiece, but really pleasant, clever and creative.

7,5/10
8.0/10

TeaWithMilk
Fruity Patchouli--Oui, Tres Intrigant!
Hmmm...I love this perfume, but I am puzzled as to why it smells a bit sweet and fruity. From what I've seen online, "Intrigant" means "scheming," and I would say that this perfume is scheming to hide the patchouli because I don't smell much patchouli unless I try. I detect more sweet resins than anything else. It is the kind of clean, natural sweetness you find when the sap of a tree oozes out and hardens.

It reminds me of Yule Brynner in The King and I. The perfume has a purple, somewhat exotic darkness about it, yet I can't take it too seriously because of the sweetness. It's well-behaved in comparison to other patchouli perfumes that seem bolder, darker, more mysterious. On the contrary, Intrigant Patchouli is soft and subtle. At times there is a powdery black leather quality that reminds me of Chanel's Cuir de Russie.

SUMMARY: "Getting to know you, getting to know all about you. Getting to like you, getting to hope you like me...." ~The King and I

jtd
I'm like the child who missed the school bus.
I wanted to like this perfume so much. It seems to be one that captures the perfumery equivalent of that perfect combination of high and low art that every other form has examples of, and the innermost sanctum of the cognoscenti recognize intuitively. Think Warhol during the 60s in NYC. Perfumeries Generale has to my mind a well-earned reputation as a line of distinction with decidedly less bullshit than most niche firms. Smart, always interesting, willing to make an attempt and fail, but usually succeeding. So there’s the high art. Hippy patchouli: there’s the low art.

All the fumies love it, and give the blogging equivalent of a knowing nod when using it as a reference point. I get one big, gorgeous nose-full of hyper-patchouli, and then can’t smell it at all. Believe me, I know it’s there from the comments of those around me when I’ve tried it. Apparently it’s a patch bomb to most noses, where to mine it’s effectively a glass of water.

So this is my low self-esteem perfume. The one that captures the best of all worlds in perfumery and tells the world you’ve got smarts and taste. And I’m left scratching my head.

by Oberloser