14 Iris OrientalIris Taizo (2006)

14 Iris Oriental / Iris Taizo by Pierre Guillaume

14 Iris Oriental is a perfume by Pierre Guillaume for women and men and was released in 2006. The scent is woody-spicy. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesGuatemala cardamom
Heart Notes Heart NotesOud, Fig honey, Iris honey
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Mexican vanilla

Submitted by Seglein, last update on 16.04.2019

5.0 7.5 5.0/10

Disappointing … or not?
While trying to create some order in the boxes I store my samples in today, I came across this one and realized that I hadn't tried it yet. If memory serves, it was sent to me in a large sample swap with another member here so it must've slipped through the cracks.

Now, let me clarify that I sample M.Guillaume's wares due to the fact that I find him delectably handsome … mouthwateringly so!! It is then indeed saddening that I haven't yet found a single fragrance in this vast collection that I would spend the asking price on. I ascribe this to the notion that my nose is probably not refined enough to appreciate the subtlety of these fragrances … probably all well and good since I would more than likely be arrested for stalking should I ever find myself in the company of this man!

Iris Oriental No.14 is mostly Cardamom and a vague, lipstick like Iris on my skin. I've wacked what looks like an entire 3ml sample to my right shoulder, neck and right wrist but I unfortunately have to ram my nose to my skin to smell it. It's true that I have perfume munching skin to begin with, but sadly this fragrance is projecting nowhere.
I like the idea … Iris with Guiac and Resin sounds appealing … but considering that 3mls equals about 25 odd sprays, I would want this fragrance to do more than just sit next to my skin.
What I can smell of it I really like … considering that Cardamom is a difficult note. Perhaps my fragrance aesthetic is just not suited to the intent of PG in general. I'm not possessed of the most discreet personality so I tend to engulf frags that don't make a statement.

It's upsetting from the point of view that PG is a well respected house in the fragrance industry … unfortunately I have yet to find one that rings my bells … ahem … at least the way they ring when I look upon the divine M. Guillaume.

Update:

So a strange thing has happened … when I applied this fragrance I was in just a pair of shorts (it's VERY hot here at the moment) and soon after I met with a client. A while after I'd put my shirt on, this fragrance started blooming in a very audible way under the fabric … so much so that my client even remarked on it! Alas, it becomes a little 'dated' smelling for me, but nonetheless I can now up my sillage rating. Has anyone else experienced this with other frags?

jtd
This porridge is just right!
Two thoughts: 1) Even though I say that I don’t like gourmand fragrances, some of my favorite classics and contemporaries have at least some edible component, if only an aromatic fruity appeal or an herbal touch. Shalimar, Ambre Sultan, Mitsouko, Tocade, Baghari, Missoni, Azzaro Couture. 2) I know a brilliant ICU RN who summarizes critical care nursing with the insight, “Gradients are life.”

With these two thoughts in mind, Iris Orientale. Trivial as this might sound, Iris Oriental is like a floral porridge. An apple-smelling, chamomile-like iris note against a dense almost yeasty-resinous grain scent is the gradient that allows for the striking life of this perfume. Just enough of an otherwise dull breakfast obligation becomes the breath between the fruity, floral and root-like tendencies of the iris that makes this quiet but intriguing concoction soar.

by Whadelse89