New York (Eau de Toilette) by Playboy

Mkpunk
02.12.2017 - 08:19 PM
Helpful Review

Boss Bottled Fierce?

Playboy New York is a nice cheapy but common clone scent but taken in a direction it has never been before. This is Abercrombie and Fitch Fierce, Axe Apollo or Ed Hardy Skull & Roses, and countless other fragrances. But it is one of those with a twist that don't exist in any of that corner of the mass market chick-magnet scent. While it does open like them a lot, in the mid and base, it is as if it was ever combined with Hugo Boss Boss Bottled but in a summery way like say Boss Bottled Tonic or Unlimited. It is an interesting twist on Fierce.

I have to give props to whomever at Playboy fragrance came up with that idea for this scent. I know most times Playboy is sweetened if not gourmand takes on popular fragrances (that are or aren't already sweet scents) but this is really good stuff. It takes Fierce into a new direction and unique enough to not be a straight up clone or dupe. That said the notes to copy Fierce are interesting and very New York with vinyl and aledhydes replacing for fir.

From there, it goes into a nearly Boss Bottled direction with the apple and some slight pepper. This gives it a slight feel of the apple and cinnamon you get with Boss Bottled and its various flankers or smell-alike. It is cemented with a vanilla and tonka bean base. The vanilla and Tonka bean continues the feel of Boss Bottled.

Playboy does a pretty good job while it lasts. Due to the fact that it is Playboy, you get about six/seven hours of longevity but it only projects maybe two hours at a moderate to soft level. A bit lacking considering Fierce. That said it is a lady pleaser while it lasts. My ex-girlfriend loved this on me.

Overall I can give Playboy New York a 7.3 out of 10. If it lasted, it would be awesome because it took a common style scent but twisted it in its own way. It is the best of the Playboy scents I've used honestly. A best of the best in the cheapies.

Latest Reviews

MkpunkMkpunk 5 years ago
A*Men / Angel Men - Mugler

A*Men / Angel Men I Want To Love It, but Cannot
Angel Men, A*Men, call it what you want, it is good. I originally loved it. Then sadly I found out the Emperor is naked. What I mean is that A*Men has so many similar scents that do it better than A*Men. A*Men is very much a scent that...

MkpunkMkpunk 5 years ago
Wanted - Azzaro

Wanted Invictus meets Eros
I tested Azarro Wanted and didn't really like iy. Smell wise it was to me the opening of Invictus with the mid of Versace Eros. It is heavily sweet on the base, something I don't find in traditional Invictus. Performance was the real issue...