The Essence (2008)Eau de Toilette

The Essence (Eau de Toilette) by Porsche Design
Compare Prices
The Essence (Eau de Toilette) (Porsche Design)
The Essence (Eau de Toilette) (Porsche Design)
The Essence (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Porsche Design for men and was released in 2008. The scent is fresh-aquatic. It is being marketed by Designer Parfums.

Top Notes Top NotesArctical, Blueberry, Juniper
Heart Notes Heart NotesPine, Coriander leaf, Black pepper
Base Notes Base NotesBalsam, Patchouli, Frankincense

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 20.03.2017

Sillage 2.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10
0-16 Hours At 30 MPH
I walked around the showroom, eyeing the spritzer bottle in the translucent black package that reminded me of a condom wrapper. Pause there for a moment. The showroom was my kitchen, and The Essence seemed pretentious contrasted to the hulking Rive Gauche box, the scrappy Witness, and even the other samples. For the life of me, I don't know why fragrance manufacturers package samples like that. It's cheesy and the parallels I prefer not to investigate too much.

The Essence has a color like windshield wiper fluid, but a little bit lighter. When you put it on, it does smell vaguely new car-ish, like fresh leather seats newly cleaned. I'd guess the freshness is the coriander, and there's a little bit of fruit, maybe bergamot. There's also something underneath it -- I want to say leather -- that gives it a grounded, expansive kind of feel. I wasn't expecting a whole lot from this scent, but the first 5-10 minutes certainly aren't bad. I am a bit leery of wearing this, because I certainly don't have the money, nor do I want the debt of getting into a Porsche. I sure hope that the marketing strategy wasn't "Let's get people into high-end sports cars by making scents that don't immediately suck." Bravo on the first part, guys, but I'm still not going to drop six figures on a car!

By three hours of travel, it is a skin scent. For the first two hours it had a pleasant but not large silage. Now if this is supposed to be the essence of a Porsche, then my brand-new high-end sports car has just lost a spark plug, and now it's limping along. It's still drivable, but its 80 MPH days are a distant memory.

Eight hours down the road, the scent has mingled in with the scent of my skin, but the car is still inching forward. This might actually parallel the whole experience of owning a Porsche in another way -- when you buy it, it's great, but the novelty wears off quickly because of the maintenance trips to the dealer. (Although isn't that what they say about Jaguars and aren't there Jaguar fragrances, too?) Maybe I failed Porsche 101 by not reapplying in hour three. To get the true Porsche experience, did I need to perform fragrance maintenance at the specified intervals? This all feels like too much effort to me, which is probably why I'm not a high-end sports car owner already.

To be fair, The Essence keeps going for 16 hours, and survives even light workouts. At the end it smells fresh like Rive Gauche, only without the class, and a bit sweeter. It's not a standout fragrance, and the quality seems to be on the level of Dunhill, although coupled with superior longevity. It's quite a letdown if you're expecting The Essence to be the perfumery equivalent of its namesake. However, if you expected the opposite, then you can enjoy it for what it is -- an ok fragrance.

Gianluca 99 days ago
The ultra-cool design of the bottle was the reason of my blind buy. The scent was a nice surprise, mysterious, with the fresh-sweet conflict+1
Bottle 8.0
Sillage 6.0
Longevity 8.0
Scent 9.0

Popular Porsche Design

The Essence (Eau de Toilette) by Porsche Design Titan by Porsche Design Porsche Design Sport by Porsche Design The Essence Intense by Porsche Design Porsche Design Sport L'Eau by Porsche Design Palladium by Porsche Design The Essence Summer Ice by Porsche Design The Essence (After-Shave Lotion) by Porsche Design