Luna Rossa Carbon (2017)

Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

Luna Rossa Carbon is a popular perfume by Prada for men and was released in 2017. The scent is synthetic-fresh. It is being marketed by Puig.

Daniela Andrier

Italian bergamot zest, Pepper, Lavender, Patchouli, Ambroxan

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 17.07.2020.

The face of the advertising campaign is model Tim Schumacher, photographed by Craig McDean.

A real gem
As a big fan of Sauvage, I find this to be very close. It’s a lighter take; more refined, however it has far less projection and longevity. About 4 hours on my skin.

Anything in the Sauvage territory is good to me. It’s by no means original , but still a solid 10 out of 10 in the scent department.

Very versatile, I wear this at the office about once a week or when I’m just out and about.

Modern fougere
This is Prada approach to new Fougere, with a lot of advertising of dark, rock, industrial type of thing. Ok I get it, but making it less natural and more synthetic doesn't make you industrial.

I don't see anything dark here or mineral so not sure about what carbon are we speaking about. For me it is a bit of soft, polished fragrance, the opening is quite a woody-fresh mix, a bit of lavender some hidden citrus and a bit of paper. Almost like everything is covered under a layer of lacquer. During a dry down, I think this is the only phase where remains of carbon can be noticed, as there is a bit of ash, smoke notes. But in some why a bit irritant like you are expecting lavender but get it covered by a smoke curtain.

Not in my type.

Best take on Ambroxan
Between Dior Sauvage, Versace Dylan Blue and coach, I say this has been my favourite take on Ambroxan bomb. this is a very elegant and sophisticated that lends itself to any occasion in any season if you dress the part. This is the trickiest part because unlike Sauvage, PLR Carbon does not does not lend itself to casual attires.
The scent itself smells like citrusy coal which is nothing short of cool. The Ambroxan is just enough to give depth and bergamot and pepper lift that salty earthy deepness into a fresh new ground. I see the similarities between this and Sauvage and I like this one more; yes it does not have the performance of the latter but it's nothing to scuff at.
Overall it's a very solid perfume by Prada and I like it very much. whenever you don't know what to wear or you're not in the thinking mood, Prada Luna Rossa carbon is your Huckleberry.
Thank you very much for reading, this has been Bardia.
Stories that life writes
By chance - thanks Carsten - a small bottling of Luna Rossa Carbon reached me. I put the sample aside for the time being, as it was not so on my search radar, not right as it should turn out. Before applying it I first researched what to expect and would summarize my research as follows:

- Should resemble Sauvage (say 33 users)
- Should be somewhat more elegant and finer
- Has little stamina
- It should also be somewhat synthetic

In the following I will take up, confirm or reject all the preliminary remarks:

Similarity to Sauvage
Well, it cannot be denied that there is no similarity to sauvage, but only at the beginning - as I think - later it is a very special scent. It then becomes very fine, slightly sweet and has an extremely nice graphite note (pencil note). One could accuse him of using a little too much ambroxan here, but I don't mind, because I'm not afraid of ambroxan. It is also much rounder than the Sauvage, which is very brute. A true gentleman's fragrance, which is beautifully tart and fresh and doesn't annoy anyone. But not that you think now, it is only suitable for over 50, no, it is versatile, whether 25, 40 etc., it fits almost everyone. So if the Sauvage - as its name suggests - is too wild for you, you might find it here. In the later course of the fragrance - just towards the end - it becomes quite sweet (a colleague of mine has mirrored this to me).

I would therefore join the 33 users only conditionally...

Has little stamina?
NO! With me on the contrary, I was amazed about the performance...
It lasted a good 8-9 hours with me and was well noticeable for at least the first 6 hours. The said colleague informed me at about 13 o'clock (it was applied at 6:30h) that I was again strongly dieselled today, which surprised me. He further said that I would draw a whole cloud of scent in passing. I would not have expected this!

And what about the synthetic?
Hm, so as already described, the drydown is not really nice / round, it is just quite sweet and monotonous at the end. So you have to attest and confirm a certain mysticism, but this doesn't harm the overall impression, as it's just so dreamily masculine and harshly fresh. The first 6 hours are definitely worth the purchase, even blind. Straight gives it in the 150ml version for good 55 euros, what more do you want?

Is he something for you?
Yes, if you are looking for the following:
+ A fresh perfume
+ A tart perfume with a light spice
+ A perfume that has similarity
+ A perfume that is elegant
+ A perfume that has a lot of power
+ Looking for a perfume that has the beautiful pencil note a la Aventus

Maybe he's something for you?
Frank123
Copy, or not copy, that is the question
Prada Luna Rossa Carbon by Daniela Andrier is often referred to as a "dimmed copy" of the Sauvage. Sure -- there's something to it: the pepper, the ambroxan... the scent immediately reminds one of Sauvage. Just not as violent and penetrating as this one. Copy... hm, let's take a look at the term for a moment.

Prada Marketing may have thought: "The sauvage is such a huge success -- we can't let that slip through our fingers. Let's simply commission dear Daniela to develop an interpretation of this fragrance".
As far as I can tell, this is the normal sport of marketing people and there are certainly a thousand examples of this in the car, fashion, perfume and whatever-it-is industry
Although this does not result in an innovation (i.e. a new, extraordinarily creative achievement), it does at least mean that, for example, a perfume suddenly becomes accessible to a new target group (hm, a bizarre and sterile word for "group of people with similar preferences") through change/adaptation/reinterpretation.

I find this legitimate and okay - from my point of view, this is not a flat copy (dupe, clone). As a real copy I would rather call e.g. the Cyrus/Writer and the La Rive/Extreme Story.

I suppose that Daniela Andrier thought to herself "what is beautiful about Sauvage and what is disturbing? What do I have to remove and add to make it appealing to those who have so far refused it? What must I receive"?
I guess she found the offensive part of Sauvage rather disturbing and consequently reduced it and introduced some other refinements. I think that this too is part of the art of perfumery. In an interview, the perfumer says that the process of creating a perfume is purely mental and only at the very end does she create a real scent. i was initially baffled when i heard this...

In my case, this is true insofar as Sauvage is too pushy and violent for me. It's different with carbon. It also (and not only) smells of sauvage, but for me personally it is more pleasant and more discreet.

I like to wear it and am happy to receive one or two compliments on it.
Dior Sauvage without pep
The headline actually sums it up quite well.

With Luna Rossa Carbon Prada also wanted to take the hype about Dior Sauvage with them. Unfortunately, Prada has only partially achieved this.

Luna Rossa Carbon is somehow nothing half and nothing whole.
I bought it at that time because I liked it at first sight in the perfumery and it was on offer. The resemblance to Sauvage is directly noticeable. But exactly what makes Sauvage, Luna Rossa Carbon is missing. The pepper! Besides, in my opinion it is not quite as fresh as Sauvage. The shelf life is good, but Dior Sauvage is also better here.

The opening is very similar to Sauvage. Also the further course.

But the pepper and that certain freshness is missing, so that Luna Rossa Carbon can be considered more a misinterpretation of Sauvage than a serious competition or alternative.

Conclusion: If you don't like the pepper in Sauvage, this is exactly the right place. You get a decent fresh one for a good price. However, as I said, it is not a serious competitor for Dior Sauvage, as it simply lacks independence.

You can have it, but you don't have to
The "little" brother of the Sauvage
This fragrance is often associated with the extremely popular "Dior Sauvage". In fact, a certain similarity to his infamous big "brother" is already crystallized in the top note. However, this is not to be understood as criticism. For where a "Sauvage", perhaps by its spicy opening, hits the stomach of one or the other, the "Carbon" knows how to use its strengths skilfully and starts, although some wicked tongues claim it smells artificially synthetic, gentle but still masculine and with the necessary freshness. Lovers of patchouli fragrances will not be disappointed. The performance, however, is at most a higher average. I was able to get hold of this fragrance back then in an online store as a 50 ml bottle for a cheap 30 Euros, and in direct comparison to that, I can't really be angry about the durability or the sillage. However, it is clear that anyone who expects a perfume to fill entire rooms is in the wrong place. But this was certainly not what they wanted to achieve with the creation of this fragrance. It was probably much more important to create a perfume that draws on modern scent DNA and is as mass-appealing as possible, affordable for every man. In short, the fragrance is something for everyone who has succumbed to fragrances like "Sauvage" and is looking for a skilful alternative for everyday life, which on the one hand is easy on the wallet and on the other hand does not want to attract too much attention with creative experiments. Either way, "the carbon" still knows how to convince and now and again, especially in the women's world, he receives one or two compliments ;)
Strong and gentle
I found Luna Rossa Extreme really special and delicious when I discovered it. The scented family also really liked me. But LR Extreme was a bit too heavy for me in the long run. But I discovered my sense of well-being in lavender.

I was still in possession of a very new bottle of the Sauvage EdT and found LR Carbon very similar, but much rounder, gentler, but still pleasantly intense. Yesterday I opened my newly acquired bottle of carbon for the first time and wore it in the morning to the weekly market in our neighborhood, the fragrance, not the bottle itself. It was about 16°C and a fleece jacket had to be. Already in the car my wife asked me what would smell so good here. She wasn't a big fan of my Sauvages, which I offered a few weeks ago at the Souk and changed hands with considerable speed. But Carbon thinks she's really good. I had three splashes on me, it was almost too strong for her. And I also have to say, although carbon is gentler than Sauvage, you have to be careful with the dosage.

I think the Sillage is quite excellent, because I noticed carbon many hours yesterday. This could also be due to the fact that my nose has not really got used to the new companion yet. The durability is accordingly also quite formidable.

Prada's Luna Rossa Carbon is now, so miserable perfume enthusiasts would claim, mainstream and showery. That's certainly true. But I am a proven friend of shower gel fragrances, mainstream does not interest me so much (but I am also not turned away from the niche). The price of perfume is not so important to me, I don't throw money out the window, but if I like something and can justify the issue to my wife (or keep it secret :-)), it is usually unfortunately bought. You may know my credo "shut up and take my money". But with carbon the issue is really very manageable.
You get a solid, fresh, dominant-soft everyday fragrance. My wife said that LR Carbon was a business fragrance par excellence. I think he almost always leaves, except when it should be quite cozy and cosy.

Luna Rossa is not the creation of the decade now, but a great all-rounder with whom you don't step on anyone's feet, but who can clearly show foreign perfumes around you within their bounds - very gently of course.
Schoork
Less can be so much more
Do you like Sauvage? Then stay, this might interest you.
If you don't, it's not gonna be really exciting for you either. Whereby one could say that it could also be the case vice versa.
If you like Sauvage, you might stick with it and have no interest in another fragrance in this direction, while you may not like Sauvage for various reasons, but are considering an alternative.
Well I don't like Sauvage very much because it causes headaches and a prick in my throat due to the high proportion of Ambroxan. Does anyone know that too?
Anyway, that's the way it is with me and with it the scent, copies like the Writer had the same result. Just didn't work, a splash on my wrist was enough and I had to wash it off again.

A lot of people underestimate your dose, too. I was recently with my son in the cinema and since the hall still had to be cleaned up, we stood first of all in front of the door and next to us someone who had bathed in Sauvage. I also found this unpleasant and I hoped that he who is not sitting in my immediate vicinity, but thank God this was not the case.

Now I was strolling last week and had tested various scents. Some experiences I have shared with you recently, which were not so tingling. The Prada Luna Rossa Carbon was also there, which immediately reminded me of Dior's racer on the test strip. However, I found it much more pleasant and tested it again on the skin a few days later. A self-experiment, an experiment, because I wanted to know if the same symptoms would occur here. So I don't have a pussy and I put a full bottle on the neck, neck and cardigan I wore.
Either I kill myself or everything in my immediate environment. I said in advance, we all survived. The durability is very remarkable, after 9h the was still there and my jacket can still be in the laundry, which still smells after days extremely fragrant.
The most outstanding thing about the Prada for me though is the non-existent side effects I referred to above. Nobody fell over next to me either.

I found this because an older couple was feverishly looking for Valentino Uomo and since I can be a nice guy and had noticed that, I said that this Karstadt branch does not run it. I guess they were both in their early 60s. We started talking and it turned out that the man was more crazy about perfume than the lady and so we started exchanging ideas. He loved the normal Uomo and wanted to buy him because he was running out at home. In the summer he was enthusiastic about the Light & Blue and I showed her the Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche, which she was directly enthusiastic about. He'll probably get it now, too. This was a lot of fun and showed once again how nice a common hobby can inspire you to chat.
Well, we could go back and forth for about 20 minutes and I wore this Prada that I had sprayed out minutes before. Although this one also radiates very strongly, you don't have the feeling to get one with the club. Both gentlemen stood very stable and did not give the impression of suffocating because of me.

The fragrance description is similar to the Dior, it starts fruity, fresh and showery, somewhat metallic and has a nice drydown. Lavender plays a leading role in this Prada series anyway, as well as here. This also adds something sweet to it. Pepper and patchouli in the base ensure masculine freshness. But a little less of everything than in the Dior, so that it is wearable for someone like me, because that's exactly how I find it very pleasant.

I know who doesn't like this mass-compatible appearance anyway, he doesn't have any added value now either. You can also argue about whether there is a need for such a fragrance if there is already the Dior, but spoken for me, I think that's quite good. For me also a positive example that a Flanker does not automatically have to be bad.

Those who like Sauvage can stay with it, but those who have problems with the Dior could think about this one. I'll definitely do it.

Experiment successful.
The saucier Sauvage
I actually liked Sauvage from the beginning. Funnily enough also a little bit because I thought that this somewhat unapproachable impression, which is created by the mixture of pepper and the somewhat "own" Ambroxan note, would be nothing for everyone - the fragrance seemed a little mysterious and wicked to me. Somehow fresh and modern, but own enough that not everyone would want to smell that way.
I also saw the Johnny Depp TV commercial where he plays guitar, and then buries something in the desert, and probably liked the smell on-release more than many others here, because also this feeling that the commercial broadcasts, I liked very much, and I find Johnny Depp just leiwand.

The fact that the broad masses then absorb him so well almost disturbed me a little. Even more disturbed me how he was compared to Aventus... No, I really don't. A whole different kind of cinema. Just because it's fresh and woody?
I'm cynical enough to think that Dior deliberately wanted to make a fragrance from this "sector" fresh / woody / slightly sweet, because it simply pulls. The colour of the bottle was tied to the image of Bleu de Chanel, if one had "covered" Aventus precisely - the bottle would probably look more like Montblancs Explorer.

In any case, I wear Sauvage relatively little, which is also due to the fact that it always goes down well with others - but he bores me a little in the long run. The reason for this is that there are no notes that really 'attract' me, no "Always smell the back of my hand" addiction factor. He's a bit clumsy and straight in the air, very cool, maybe a little "too cool".

Here comes "Luna Rossa Carbon" into play.
I always liked the Luna Rossa series anyway, even though they are not my most worn fragrances... The normal Luna Rossa is the most independent, and so far the best (of those I own so far).
But Carbon has relatively little in common with the smell of the original in the opening; here I find a fresh, slightly peppery chord that really smells very Sauvage. The citric aspect that resonates here reminds me of the citric freshness of A&F's "Fierce"! This light Fierce aroma has the scent also relatively long. In the drydown after a few hours the citric top notes and the iso-feeling flatten a little, but remain well perceptible in a gentle way until the end. After the drydown the fragrance reminds me a bit of "Luna Rossa", but still more of Sauvage. So the original LR-DNA is already a little bit inside here, even if in the background.

I find LR Carbon the slightly better Sauvage. The citric-sweetish, attractive head-heart note makes it simply more interesting and approachable for me than Sauvage. I think this is due to less use of pepper (species), "Italian bergamot shell" instead of "Calibrian bergamot" in Sauvage, possibly another species of Ambroxan (Sauvage has "Ambrox"), and the use of a large amount of Iso-E Super. Carbon is also more casual and sympathetic than Sauvage, as the pepper is not so pungent and superficial
Well, it doesn't sound very romantic, especially with the iso, but it does. And I find also somehow horny... It just has this Fierce Vibe, which just brightens it up, makes it more interesting to smell, and also makes it a bit addictive. (While typing I have to sniff my wrist all the time although I have known the scent for a long time..)

And I guess if 98.5% of the world's population like Sauvage, 99.5 like LR Carbon, it's simply even more compatible. NOTHING it won't have as many as Sauvage because Dior simply has the edge in marketing, and the bottle may look more iconic.
Well, good for me! P

Final resumeé.

Both are of high quality, and both are top fragrances! Really, dear Sauvage fans, please don't take my comparisons the wrong way.

Sauvage, however, is the archetype of this sub-genre, we commonly call it "mainstream Ambrox pepper bombs," and it has a special autonomy for which I pay respect to Dior. It's more original, has a higher recognition value, and also has a bit better performance.
For me, however, Carbon has the edge over Sauvage because I simply prefer to smell it, and feel it more, as I have described it in detail. :)

In that sense... Clear recommendation to buy from me, I also can not imagine that someone does not like this fragrance. And if it doesn't cheer you up enough in the long run, it's such a fragrance that you could use for sports, or if you go swimming, or just give it to someone. A sympathetic people-pleaser, which fits to every occasion, to every weather, even if I see it rather in summer Because of its lightness.

My 5 cents again. :)

Dan81Dan81 76 days ago
Sauvage alternative for day time use in the heat. Wife likes it but I don't get excited wearing it. Happy with purchase but won't buy again
BardiaGHBardiaGH 132 days ago
Inoffensive and polite Sauvage
HubertGHubertG 149 days ago
the smell of an elegant man, fresh for all occasions, good combination of lavender and spice, carbon and black are the best from prada,
DemeteraDemetera 10 months ago
90% Sauvage, but the “different” 10% save us from the Sauvage’s headache, and make it a softer, rounded, more exciting scent.
MrHonestMrHonest 3 years ago
Sauvage gives me a headache. This doesn't. That's why I'm down with LRC - it's smoother, with less pepper and more lavender. Juuuust right.

by Schoork
by NasiGoreng
by Demetera
by Demetera

Popular Prada

L'Homme by Prada L'Homme Intense by Prada Infusion d'Iris Absolue by Prada Luna Rossa Black by Prada Olfactories - Cargo de Nuit by Prada Infusion d'Iris (Eau de Parfum) (2015) by Prada Infusion d'Iris (Eau de Parfum) (2007) by Prada Infusion d'Iris (Eau de Toilette) by Prada Infusion d'Amande by Prada Infusion d'Iris Cèdre by Prada Infusion d'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Prada L'Homme L'Eau by Prada Amber pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Prada Prada (2004) / Prada Amber by Prada L'Homme Water Splash by Prada Olfactories - Purple Rain by Prada Luna Rossa Extreme by Prada La Femme by Prada Infusion de Vétiver (2010) by Prada Prada (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Prada