Old Spice ClassicOld Spice (1990) Cologne

Version from 1990
Old Spice Classic / Old Spice (Cologne) (1990) by Procter & Gamble

Old Spice Classic is a popular perfume by Procter & Gamble for men and was released in 1990. The scent is spicy-fresh. It is still in production.

Albert Hauck

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Spices, Clary sage, Orange, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Heliotrope, Jasmine, Pimento, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Benzoin, Musk, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Frankincense, Cedarwood

Submitted by MiaTrost, last update on 02.07.2019

In 1990, P&G acquired Shulton and continued to produce Old Spice. P&G replaced the previously used sailing ship on the flacon by the yacht logo in 1992. A variety of sailing ships was used.

5.0 6.0 9.0 8.0/10

The Carnation Mystery
Sure, Old Spice is a time machine for me, too. One of the first men's fragrances that I consciously sniffed in the store as a teenager in the 80s, and I found it enormously fascinating even then. These beautifully interwoven spices! Male somehow! Nice intensive to fix properly, but not so hard that it gets embarrassing. A sweet thing about the fact that you always want to smell it, like a nose candy, but not too sweet, so that you never get over it. Fantastic stuff!

Almost two years ago I bought myself, I think it was in the Netherlands, a bottle again, after decades. It looks similar to the one shown here, and it says "Old Spice Original Eau de Toilette" on it. But it's not only available in the Netherlands, but also in our stores, I found it on the Douglas page for 7 Euro some crushed. My attempt to register the EdT here in the research area was rejected. I don't know if you've ever been rebuffed with new registrations: That's sometimes quite taciturn here, but I interpret the reasoning as "The Cologne that is already listed here is actually the same as the eau de toilette that you arrive here with". Well, if that's how it is.

So my Old Spice EdT not only smells the same as I remember it from ages ago (even if I'm only imagining it, who knows), maybe with the exception that this year I perceive it as enormously carney (which I think is great), but it also has a monster durability. This morning at 8 o'clock with about 5 sprays diesel-engineered, now at midnight I still smell the wonderfully clear base (and not with the nose pressed to the wrist, no, the scent clouds still climb from my neck voluntarily into my nose).

So that my conclusion is: A spicy oriental men's classic with a strong carnation, wonderfully balanced, between timeless and oldschool. Almost a gift in price, yet very impressive in value: the quality, finesse and also the really remarkable durability in a league playing with the younger, but in the overall character related "Obsession for Men" by CK and "Opium pour Homme" by YSL. Unconditional test recommendation for all spice lovers. Radiation strongly perceptible, but unobtrusive.

Questions: Why does it last an eternity with me (where I don't have a fine nose at all!), if others here indicate a persistence of only 3 hours? Why do I (still) like it so much when others call it reformulated? I don't know, I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. Do I have a Holland special variant? Isn't eau de toilette cologne? Am I a particularly good-natured and benevolent person? It's a carnation mystery.
6.0 7.0 7.0 7.5/10

Pure Classic
I haven't used this scent for a solid year, but I used to use it most days during the colder months. Old Spice is a typical "dad fragrance" but it can be so much more than that. It's not fantastic and there's no wow factor about it, but it's a pleasant scent and one that can be used in many situations.

This scent has a fresh and spicy, masculine smell to it. Great for everyday use during the colder months, I personally wouldn't wear it during summer but that's down to preference.

I think that everyone will own at least one bottle of this during their lives, I'm 24 and have my 2nd bottle, apparently I'm fortunate enough to have a ceramic bottle, didn't realise it was now coming out in plastic bottles. If you don't have at bottle, or are just starting to get into fragrances, give this one a shot, it's stuck around this long so it must be doing something right.

Old Spice 2018
First a few words to me, I'm much too young to know the original scent myself, so I can't say anything to him :D .

It all started when I needed some new Deos, somewhere between Axe, Bruno Banani and Dove Deos I saw the Old Spice Collection, so I thought, yes why not, you need a change from all those standard scents.

Since I always need a lot of deodorant for professional reasons, I usually buy 3-4 doses for this reason. It'll last a good month :D

So I bought 4 different Deos of this brand, including the original Classic.

I find all deodorants of this brand contemporary, they smell better in my opinion than those of Axe and other manufacturers listed above. However, they remain true to one line, they are all spicy & I find that pleasant.

Since I also work night shifts, it's just industry ;D I often don't get to go into town during the day to do some errands.

So what do you do in the 21st century, right you order care products at Amazon :D & there I saw that there is probably also an Eau De Toilette of the Classic fragrance, which as a deodorant has left a solid impression. Fresh Spicy Male, not too much of anything, yes some old cheeks compared to Modern Fragrances, Like Dior's Sauvage.

I had never seen before with us in the drugstore, thus on good luck for 7€ also ordered.
This morning we saw that the package was at the desired location & crashed directly on it :D Must then always test directly & wanted to draw a comparison to the deodorant.

Before of course looked here, what is inside, what awaits me & most of all what the others say.
Must probably be reformulated, durability and Sillage probably no longer as good as the original 50 years ago.
Now it's standing here, so I sprayed it directly on the forearm, which was abused by countless tests.

Fresh & then spice bomb.

Begun with orange and lemon, the cinnamon is added directly with a tidy load of vanilla. These are the main components that I smell clear for now.

Compared to the deodorant much spicier, less fresh, which I actually like well.
You can use the deodorant in combination to counteract something, so that the freshness is preserved longer
I've never really smelt anything like this before, a cheap fragrance that stands out strongly from the current fragrances, which probably nobody knows from my generation. Secret niche ? I find that very difficult to judge. Yes, it smells a bit old & nowadays something like this from a well-known manufacturer like Armani would probably flop completely, but I think it's really good, it won't give me any compliments in this current world of fragrances, but nevertheless, somehow it has something, it's not as synthetic as some fragrances of the current houses, Paco Rabanne Invictus....

I see it more than an autumn/winter scent due to the vanilla in the combination with the cinnamon, on cold days I will wear it.

Shelf life with me 3 hours, Sillage 2 hours.

An almost forgotten outsider, this Old Spice Classic.
But yet, somehow horny.

Itchynose 51 days ago
Today's hyped fragrances will be forgotten tomorrow, but Old Spice will still be around, used and loved by many because classics never die.+1
5.0
KLewis 12 months ago
A true fresh and spicy classic!+1
Bhugo 12 months ago
Vintage is spicier but not as citrus. New stuff still smells great, but has limited longevity. Vey nice scent that is inoffensive.+2
5.0
10.0
DorothyGrace 2 years ago
Stick deod. fantastic. My son leaves a trail, warm, slightly soapy, spicey, floral. Smells expensive on him a bit rubbish on me.+3

by Snaut