Quorum 1982Eau de Toilette

Quorum (Eau de Toilette) by Puig
Bottle Design André Ricard
Quorum (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Puig for men and was released in 1982. The scent is spicy-leathery. It is still in production.

Sebastian Gomez

Top Notes Top NotesArtemisia, Bergamot, Grapefruit, Cumin, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCyclamen, Carnation, Jasmine, Patchouli, Sandalwood
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Leather, Moss, Tobacco, Frankincense

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 08.10.2020.

Kouros in better
My first impression when I sprayed Quorum was: "wow this smells a lot like YSL Kouros but somehow better"
Since Kouros is my father's signature fragrance, I had immediate access to this scent. It's definitely something you don't smell every day and I like that. My wife thinks it smells like "old man" but I think the scent is just brilliant. The bottle looks really nice and vintage and the content is vintage as well.
I think the fragrance goes well with jeans and leather jacket and also for the office For the price you do not do anything wrong.
SvenScent
Oldschool coniferous forest without power

The opening of the fragrance consists of a somewhat pungent coniferous forest mix as well as a very restrained and barely noticeable citric. The whole thing is underlaid by a medical artemisian note that I find really unpleasant. The cumin, on the other hand, whose fan I usually am, I unfortunately perceive much too little or not at all.

In the middle there is a slight flurry, but then it goes almost seamlessly into the drydown, which is clearly dominated by slightly smoky moss. Oldschool, but quite good this part! Unfortunately, it quickly faded away, so that I wouldn't dare to speak of an (eighties) 'powerhouse' with this perfume, because there's really not much power there. By the way, I can't smell anything of leather - after all, the fragrance is classified as "spicy leathery" here - at all

And otherwise?
The flacon is rather unattractive, though appropriate, and the sprayer a single disaster, because it atomizes the aerosol far too finely while spraying only a few centimeters. So always spray close to your body!

If you are not one of those who collect everything, or those who are especially classics oriented, I think there are much better scents, even from that time...!
EauSavage
PowTaeus was not at home, but with his stepbrother you can also steal horses!
I am probably the most blazing Antaeus torch in my big city and after connections between Quorum and Antaeus were made here as well as on other sites, my interest was aroused. There is also a fundamental love of 'the good old things' and an innate reluctance to mainstream and wimpy behaviour. Scents are allowed to be odd and striking for me and I read about Powerhouse everywhere. My interest was now wide awake. I also found Quorum's unbroken popularity exciting, and the fact that in the 80s it was said to have been smelling on every corner in Spain, which, by the way, suggested that it was suitable for summer. And with the price I could not resist.

Whoever gets jittery like me when the words Antaeus or Powerhouse are mentioned in fragrance descriptions should read on. The scents and their course have long since been perfectly dissected by finer noses before me. Only tobacco and leather I perceive less strongly and the moss is clearly there, but not as intense.

(A word about the packaging: I found boxes in the same design in the pictures, sometimes without, sometimes with 'Puig' on the front. I ordered for a little more money 'with', I got it without, the manufacturer is on the bottom of the box. All good, don't be irritated ;-)

All right, here we go: The prelude is not a refreshing citrus kick, as you might expect from lemon, grapefruit and bergamot, but rather massive and heavy and slightly muggy, as if someone were to lay a warm, wet towel on your face. And before you can still breathe out, do it directly *BAM*, because there is already plenty of pointed cumin and the tart Artemisia But this flattens out almost every second and after ten minutes at the latest the first flowers of the heart note are already blooming on the caraway bed, the force of the top notes disappears and it becomes magnificently piquant floral.

After about half an hour - the top notes are not yet completely gone, the heart notes are still orientating, this Spanish brew actually whispers 'Hello Antaeus! Even if the scents are different, these upright pan-fried flowers with lots of spice create a certain olfactory similarity.
Here's a story: I had worn Antaeus for about four or five hours on a warm day and then on the right lower leg, which I had released in anticipation of the delivery of Quorum (I always have to spray directly with new scents), I had just added Quorum. After an hour a neighbour ran into me and we chatted a bit and I thought "You ask her", held out her quorum arm and said "Smell it! And she smelled and she said, "Mmm, yummy, very nice!" And then I gave her my Antaeus arm. "Nice too!" And then I said "Which do you like better" and she tapped my quorum hand I must have grinned so mischievously that she smelled a trap, and without being asked she smelled it several times alternately, and then asked: "Is it the same scent, right?" In the end we agreed that both "are somehow similar".

But not really: For me, the similarity is roughly rather sufficient for association. Antaeus is different, more powerful and headstrong at all times, his beguiling dark rose is absent here and Quorum never has its spicy, deep blackness. On the contrary, there is a very light sweet but charming soap in Quorum, which Antaeus would only turn up his nose at, before he continues to bubble away cool. And the further Quorum goes into the drydown, the more friendly he becomes. Leather and tobacco are the foundation on which the amber motivated sweet incense falls into mossy arms.

Those who seek Antaeus here will not find him. But those who love Antaeus will love Quorum. But one thing is clear: Antaeus has more fragrance class, that's a different league.

A word on the subject 'Powerhouse': In this house there are now energy saving lamps and in some rooms they are dimmed. Quorum is also a victim of the great reformulation that brought new versions of old fragrances from 2013. In this respect, the descriptions up to this time and a transitional period during which old stocks were still being sold are certainly accurate. But the sledgehammer described by recent comments was not delivered to me. A perfume-loving neighbour could not smell me before the end of the first hour, when I had been sprayed with Quorumler at less than 1 meter, and after the second hour I myself could no longer perceive my own scent cloud. Quorum on the skin lasts for a long time, of course, but at the end of a working day it's time to press nose on skin to be able to remember what you'd put on in the morning.
Quorum and powerhouse - for me that's only possible because he comes from a time when fragrances didn't care about discretion and yes, you can smell it on him - he was probably one of those once. And he also smells unfashionable, but that's what makes him so charming for me

Should my comment have sounded rather reserved up to this point, folks, listen up: Quorum is a great scent!

I've received several compliments for him. There was once said neighbor. Then the mentioned neighbour I asked to get an impression of the projection. This elderly gentleman, like his wife, is a lifelong perfume lover with a large collection of the finest drops, Guerlain's favourite scent being vetiver. When I asked him to smell my arm, he said: "Oh, a good scent!"
And then there's my mid-fifties neighbor, to whom I handed over packages I had accepted on his behalf, a few minutes after I had scented myself lavishly with Quorum. He has style and taste and he likes it eccentric, he is a Black Afgano fan himself. Then he spontaneously said to me "You smell good! What is that?"

Quorum has a firm, strong and warm temperament, pleasant and inviting. You can't smell its price, I would always recommend it to a friend who would like to smell good and who would always give class and character to the world. Super! Br />
Reference Moss
Oops, no comment on quorum yet? I'm almost embarrassed Well, as my headline suggests, quorum is the moss scent par excellence. The top note starts off with a lot of citric notes, according to its vintage, here the sour grapefruit is just as good to smell as the lemon, but that evaporates within seconds and the cumin spreads, damn broad even! Because this one is leading the Quorum in the first half hour.
What then announces itself is moss, moss and again moss in all facets. In the beginning spicy and still associated with cumin, which changes in the further course of the fragrance, when the cumin slowly flattens and in the drydown the incense becomes more and more present.

Moreover, Quorum is a dust-dry fellow who at most gets a grin on his face when someone jumps off a cliff.
Tobacco and leather blend well with the moss, incense, cumin trio and give the fragrance a good radiance.
In my opinion, a fragrance that should have been in the 70's because of its dry and spicy nature.

By the way: I have a bottle from 2015, but I used to have the first generation's unreformulated version. Quorum is one of the few fragrances where I like the reformulation better! My recommendation therefore, buy! No matter from which batch. Quorum is certainly still in the same good condition until today!

The shelf life of Quorum is slightly higher than typical for Puig, but not longer than 5 hours. For the price there is nothing to complain about. I would have liked a cologne version in a bottle!
Archaic Rites
Let's orchestrate the opening fireworks to celebrate the holistic man with Stravinsky's "Le sacre du printemps" (The Sacrifice of Spring). Forget the lyrical foreplay. Use it right away with the rhythmically hammering, wildly aggressive "Augures printaniers", the harbingers of spring:

Animal citrus leather hits the skin with bitter flower seasoning.

Stravinsky spoke about his spring sacrifice of the "all-encompassing panic awakening of universal power". They are not sweet, but martially hammered "harbingers" for the sacrifice of the virgin.

Quorum was created by a certain Sebastian Gomez, who is represented on parfumo.de with two perfumes and otherwise untraceable. His two creations date back to the 80s of the last century. Let us assume that this man of the past was of Spanish origin and make the arch from the wild Russian to the proud Spaniard. For me, this quorum does indeed have something of the proud Spaniard's cliché, without him - is it due to Artemisia and cumin? - i can't think this scent.

Aristotle classified man as zóon politikón or Latinized homo politicus. Man as a social, political being disciplines his animal aspects in the polis community, democracy emerges, archaic rites are repressed. From such an ancient image of man emerges the modern man, whose civilization is regulated by democratic procedures, such as the "quorum". Its purpose is to prevent the formation of an unrepresentative majority by a number of votes cast. A desired change in the status quo is only implemented if the required quorum has been reached.

To title a fragrance so objectively that it is archaically trumpeting against postmodernism may seem strange. In the early 80s a masculine fragrance was a matter of course, so a dramatic headline did not occur to anyone. Since then many philosophical-anthropological self-evidences have been questioned, overturned and are already history. I would like to imagine Sebastian Gomez and the eponym of the Quorum lodged a last reactionary objection for the archaic man. As we know today, the necessary quorum has not been achieved. One proclaimed the homo sociologicus, the sociological being. No sacrifice is made, the virgin lives, the bull was not impaled, but tamed and soaped.

Let's follow Stravinsky's spring offerings one last time with the "Rondes printanières" in the heart note and base. Dark, even gloomy and worn they walk along. It's a male dance. May the virgins dance in ballet, the man does not dance. With Rilke the picture can be rounded off: It's "a dance of power around a center, in which, stunned, there is a great will." Rilke, too, knew that the fate of homo inermis was for the civilized being. The defenceless human, a deficient being, defenceless, abandoned by instinct.

The great will of the holistic man is largely history, which Gomez' Quorum looks at us from wild eyes. Still animalistic, though cultivated, tamed, but not tamed. The base of the Quorum is warm with amber, leather, moss and tobacco and solemn with a hint of incense.
The boss
You can buy all kinds of quargles... Bunch of money for "well." Quorum is very, very cheap! And very, very the club! Mike Hammer and Peter Strohm! Leather jacket and Barbour jacket with holes! Nose break instead of "talk about it". Quorum always goes. Quorum will clear the ship. Quorum isn't for cuddling. Quorum is not for Bubis! There is no literary commentary at Quorum! Quorum is the true Yatagan and the godfather of masculine fragrances!
With Quorum we don't drive a SUV with rear view camera!
With Quorum, we don't go to the psychotherapist!
With Quorum there are no compliments!
You don't drink cocktails with Quorum!
With Quorum you shit on the dress code!
With Quorum you occupy houses and conquer the princess!
With Quorum we're going to the brig! ????
Quorum du Keule! You hammer! You relic! You tough bastard!

Underrated, but so good!
Strong fragrance, woody, green, tobacco, leathery, spicy, soapy in the draydown. Same vibe of Anataeus from Channel but without the animalic note. Masculine fragrance for guys over 30's. Only to use in cold weather. Difficult fragrance in the opening: stong pine and oakmoss, but after 30 minutes you will love it, and the draydown is the best part. Great longevity and projection. One or two sprays is enough, more than can be dangerous for your reputation. Excellent relation price/quality.

Not quorate
Any legal body must have enough members present before it can conduct its business; this what's known as a quorum.

The bottle I have is so underpowered that a dozen sprays at the start of a board meeting would barely last till the second item on the agenda.

There were evidently so few odorants present on the 10th of January 2012 when the constituents of this juice were assembled it could not have been quorate.

Danger! Olfactory Bomb Ahead
...but in a good way. Quorum is powerful, dry, and smells like nothing else on the market from its time, nor like anything else today. It truly is a love or hate fragrance.

Me, I love it, it is unabashedly strong, crass, and masculine. The cumin in the top adds a sweaty and dirty note to this fragrance. The tobacco and the frankincense add a smoky note to the leather.

My impression of Quorum is that it smells like the classic bad boy with the leather jacket, and cigarette hanging from his mouth. He may be cleaned up but he's still aggressive and a little dirty. I think of Quorum that way; bad boy without the questionable hygiene and stale ashtray smell.

Longevity is quite good. This stuff goes 12+ hours on my skin. Very strongly for the first 6. Go easy on the sprayer with this one. It is enough to clear a room if oversprayed. One shot on the chest after a shower is usually plenty.

80"s Smell for Older Men
Its 80"s smell. It suits for older men 50 plus. Opening is strong Bomb but projection stays for 1 to 2 hrs n Longevity 4 to 5 hrs on skin. If u want to smell in 80"s style, This is for u. Its good.

CarterHammCarterHamm 30 days ago
I want to love it. All of the other notes are nice and the eventual dry siren is ok. But I CANNOT do the cumin. I get body odor vibes.
KimJongKimJong 139 days ago
I wanna say that it's a very beautiful armpit smell. The great legacy of the era when perfume actually played a role in improving body odor.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 8 months ago
Citrusy, Piny, forestry, woody,mossy, leathery, earthy and a tobacco touch. A bottled James Brown singing "It's a Man's Man's Man's World!"
MihaiuMihaiu 12 months ago
classic but cool & manly. earthy green aromatic & soapy. i'm not a big fan of soapy frag but this is good
Mike1337Mike1337 18 months ago
Strenght and longevity are definitely in plus. The scent itself: grandpa + pine air refresher

by Lasisa
Quorum von Puig
by Martin660
by Martin660

Popular Puig

Agua Lavanda by Puig Agua Brava (Eau de Cologne) by Puig Quorum Silver (Eau de Toilette) by Puig Aqua Quorum (Eau de Toilette) by Puig Sybaris (Eau de Toilette) by Puig Estivalia by Puig Brummel (Eau de Cologne) by Puig Quorum (After Shave) by Puig Azur by Puig Impacto (Eau de Cologne) by Puig Vetiver de Puig (Eau de Toilette) by Puig Thaïs by Puig Rasgo (Eau de Toilette) by Puig Boston Man (Eau de Toilette) by Puig Zinnia by Puig Boomerang (Eau de Toilette) by Puig Agua Brava Sea Power (Eau de Toilette) by Puig Anouk by Puig Agua Brava Azul by Puig Agua de Luna by Puig