Lauren (1978) Eau de Toilette

Lauren (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren
Bottle Design: Ben Kotyuk

Lauren (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Ralph Lauren for women and was released in 1978. The scent is floral-green. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesPineapple, Green notes, Clary sage, Rosewood
Heart Notes Heart NotesCyclamen, Bulgarian rose, Lilac, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Carnation, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 14.05.2019

9.0/10

SweetTxGal
What Happened to This Gorgeous Scent?
Lauren used to be the most heavenly floral scent around, at least as far as the late 80s and early 90s were concerned. Compliments came my way always while I wore it. I don't know what happened in the reformulation of the fragrance, but it is *nothing* like its former self.
7.5 2.5 5.0 7.0/10

Complimentary Contradiction
Sharp and biting at first dab, a bright green hook that catches your nose. After the bite, Lauren unfurls a vast lawn of meditative herbs and flowers with lilac and clary sage being most dominant. This soft silver/purple haze of heart would never be as enchanting without the brutal opening. The pineapple is actually quite strong on my skin and this sweetness adds an essential accord, a compromise that brings the entire scent together, bridging the bitter and the floral calm without detracting from either. I don't think Lauren would work nearly so well without this touch of tang to round the edges... it humanises.
Woods play a supportive role - they don't feature until drydown and win only by attrition.

Lauren is a lesson in confidence and favourable contradiction. If you don't like it at first, wait for the heart where the bright green slap is less confrontational. The miniature I am testing from is vintage and possibly sun damaged, so I won't comment on sillage or longevity here.
Best suited for wear during the day, perfect for situations that require clarity of mind and heart. In a word, Lauren has "poise".

American Beauty!!!
I remember many girls at my university sporting this trendy, comfortable and beautiful scent. I enjoyed it in class and parties that since it is now lost, decided to get a bottle of the vintage before it was too late. What a great joy I find in it.

Its actually based on the original Champs Elyees from 1901! Bernard Chant was the nose who updated it with modern florals and fruits. Otherwise the violet rose chypre is vey classical. Indeed its one of the greatest losses of the perfume world.

Sadly, I dont think this one will ever return.
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

A green and fruity delight
In the past I haven't been much of a fan of Ralph Lauren's female fragrances. Their current line is quite uninspiring in my personal opinion, however I find their discontinued fragrances far more interesting. Pure Turquoise, Safari and Lauren really shouldn't have ceased production. It was one silly person who thought that they would not be missed.

Lauren is quite elegant and beautiful, despite its casual feel. It opens with a unique blend of fruits, spices and green nuances. In most cases, pineapple on my skin causes me grief, but I'm happy to say that this was not the case with Lauren. The green accords, when further highlighted by clary sage and sweet pineapple, in turn create a rather complex and pleasing scent.

The heart rounds out into a fresh bouquet of jasmine, lilac and carnation. At this point, the composition could turn soapy, however on my skin, the woods and spices keep the heart balanced and lively.

I am quite blown away by the sillage which is a lot richer than I thought it would be for an EDT. Without being too much, Lauren encloses me in a beautiful, fresh, green floral scent bubble. At present I'm testing this fragrance on a rather cool Autumn day, however I can only imagine that Lauren improves during Spring and Summer.

The drydown introduces some warmer aspects with slightly salty vetiver, sandalwood, cedar and beautiful oakmoss. The greeness is more damp and musty at this point in time.

Lauren is a very classy scent, but in no way is it too mature for younger women. I'm happy to find bottles of Lauren EDT still available for purchase from some trustworthy online retailers. Now I can only wish that Ralph Lauren brings it back into regular production alongside the Ralph and Romance bottles. Wishful thinking perhaps.
7.5 7.5 5.0 7.0/10

Icekat
Abundance of greens with hint of herbs
When I first put this scent on, I was overwhelmed by the abundance of green freshness mixed with spring flowers and hint of herbs. The scent awakened in me feeling of being alive and wild desire to celebrate the arrival of spring. I love the intense, crisp and green scents that remind me of a wild nature. Ralph Lauren is one of those scents, especially in the beginning. The composition without a doubt is interesting, rich and classy. But I would not call it an evening scent. It is one of those rare perfumes where the casual scent also manages to have an exceptional class and style.

The abstract green notes dominate the opening. The spring floral notes gently mingle with green and earthy notes. I don’t always like herbal notes in the perfumes but the sage note fits perfectly here adding the realistic outdoor feeling to this scent. The opening is my favorite part of the scent. As the scent develops, the jasmine, lilac and lily of the valley take over. This is where the scent turns a bit heady. The strong floral bouquet is a bit too much for me in the heart notes but nevertheless it is quite lovely. After 3 hours the perfume turns into a light green mossy scent. It is pleasant but not very noticeable.

Overall score is 7/10. I have never tried the original version from 1978 but even in a current reformulation, it is worth a try. Unique and refined, Ralph Lauren is a lovely choice for spring and summer.

Hoppe,hoppe Reiter,wen er fällt, dann schreit er. Fällt er in die die Hecken, fressen ihn die Schnecken. Fällt er auf die Steine, tun ihm weh die Beine. Fällt er in den Graben, fressen ihn die Raben. Fällt er in den Sumpf, macht der Reiter plumps~Volksgut
by Sunshine00
Die Schamhaftigkeit und der Tau lieben das Dunkel; beide glänzen dagegen nur am Tage, um zum Himmel zu steigen~ Jean Antoine Petit-Senn
by Sunshine00
by EvaK
by Kahill
by Kahill

Popular Ralph Lauren

Polo (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Safari (Eau de Parfum) by Ralph Lauren Polo Blue (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Safari for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Polo Red (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Polo Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Romance (Eau de Parfum) by Ralph Lauren Polo Black (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Ralph by Ralph Lauren Lauren (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection - 2 by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection - 4 by Ralph Lauren Blue by Ralph Lauren Glamourous by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection - 1 by Ralph Lauren Notorious by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection - 3 by Ralph Lauren Polo Explorer (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Polo Sport Woman by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection for Women - 2 by Ralph Lauren