Notorious (2008)

Notorious by Ralph Lauren

Notorious is a perfume by Ralph Lauren for women and was released in 2008. The scent is sweet-floral. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Pink pepper, Blackcurrant
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Peony
Base Notes Base NotesOrris root, Musk, Patchouli, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 30.11.2014

1.0/10

Scrubber.
For me, Notorious is a scrubber.

Like others, I thought Notorious would be scent fit for a screen siren. NOT! Instead, Notorious is more like a 767 airplane coming in for a landing, over & over again ... right above your house. The first time you're interested & a bit thrilled. But after that you only become annoyed & irritated, more so as it continues.

Notorious is a heavy, suffocating, cloying, white floral bomb on me. Although not listed, I am most certain there is a lot of jasmine, very little peony & absolutely no carnation in Notorious. I have problems with the cheap jasmine accord in mass market fragrances. Notorious has a white jasmine accord which my skin amplifies. My skin makes a mess of this scent. Actually, I think the scent was a mess before it hit my skin.
7.5 5.0 5.0 3.0/10

Notorious dissapointment
I love black & white movies, film noire and the wonderfully sassy, empowered and 'cool' leading ladies. The name and the thought behind Notorious had given me such high hopes I bought it un-sniffed. I liked the box, the bottle with its art deco sharp lines, perfect! It was all very promising. But the scent? A disappointment.

This is definitely not something I imagined Marlene Dietrich wore whilst wearing her tux, Lauren Bacall smelled like when telling Steve how to whistle, and Ingrid Bergman walking into Ricks Cafe wearing this? Never!
It is too watery, easily mistaken, and over all very 'plain'. The black currant and pink pepper is all I pick up once the perfume settles, and only in a hint at that.
Than it's like it develops a watery smell and it becomes deluded and fleeting.
It definitely doesn't evoke in me the thrill and charm of the era and the characters it's suppose to represent. Those ladies had a spine, this perfume is ordinary and can't stand its ground. Nice thought, wrong scent. Shame!

::Fun Fact:: After some digging it appears the the above mentioned actresses wore the following fragrances:

*Marlene Dietrich: Bandit - Fracas - Tabac Blond - Creed Angelique Encense (which was made for her.) - Indiscret Lelong - Vol de Nuit.

*Lauren Bacall: Calandre.

*Ingrid Bergman: Mitsouko.
4.0/10

Like a Double-Knit Dress One Size Too Small
Something about Ralph Lauren NOTORIOUS really does not click for me. The bergamot-currant opener, for starters. While I cannot say that it is repugnant, it seems somehow forced or strained, like a double knit dress one size too small...

The artificial florals that emerge next seem misplaced, as though they really belong somewhere else. Perhaps in a parade float, or at a theme park, or atop a frozen daquiri...

The drydown, too, somehow does not come through to rescue NOTORIOUS. Neither the vanilla nor the musk, nor even the patchouli sings through. A general dissonance reigns throughout this composition.

Perhaps this is the sort of confusion that the Ingrid Bergman character felt as she slept with the Claude Rains character, although she was in love with the Cary Grant character. So maybe the name is fitting after all.
10.0 5.0 7.5 9.0/10

Noirish
This is a deep scent Reminescent of Icy Ingrid Bergman to Notorious. Tough Streetwise Barbara Stanwyck to Double Indeminity. The distant fire of Rita Hayworth to Gilda. The Grand Dames Of
Noir. they'll love you by day
Kill you by night The Chocolate and woods will lure you to her Trap full
of Sexual Intrigue Jealousy Revenge
until your life will run out.
and no ESCAPE!
7.5 5.0 5.0/10

Peppery floral
I actually quite enjoy Notorious and like others, I too cannot understand why so many people dislike it.

To me, this fragrance isn't overly spicy nor flowery. It's a little fruity and sweet, but not in a cheap kind of a way. Notorious smells expensive and is really quite classy.

Black currant, bergamot and peony are the most dominant notes when applied to the skin. This fragrance makes me feel very elegant and feminine, I really don't sense any hints of masculinity within this scent.

The lasting power and sillage are both pretty powerful which makes this fragrance worth the money.

I think that Notorious would make a wonderful Autumn/Spring fragrance because it is so cheerful and pretty. It just makes me think of beautiful, sunny, cloudless days.

I actually think that Notorious smells a little like Coco Mademoiselle, however I much prefer Notorious.

by Blödel
by Blödel

Popular Ralph Lauren

Polo (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Safari (Eau de Parfum) by Ralph Lauren Polo Blue (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Safari for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Polo Red (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Polo Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Romance (Eau de Parfum) by Ralph Lauren Polo Black (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Ralph by Ralph Lauren Lauren (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection - 2 by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection - 4 by Ralph Lauren Blue by Ralph Lauren Glamourous by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection - 1 by Ralph Lauren Notorious by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection - 3 by Ralph Lauren Polo Explorer (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Polo Sport Woman by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection for Women - 2 by Ralph Lauren