Polo Blue (2002) Eau de Toilette

Polo Blue (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren
Bottle Design: Bormioli Rocco

Polo Blue (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Ralph Lauren for men and was released in 2002. The scent is fresh-aquatic. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesCucumber, Mandarin, Melon
Heart Notes Heart NotesBasil, Geranium, Sage
Base Notes Base NotesWoods, Musk, Suede

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 04.05.2019

7.0 6.0 6.0 8.0/10

Blue Sky, Fresh Air, Big Open Waters
Ralph Lauren’s Polo Blue isn't a scrap as rumored by the crowd. Rather, it's so freaking good, a surprisingly refreshing and fruity aromatic fougère featuring aquatic and ozone motives. Suede, woodsy notes, and a bit of cucumber and melon make this cologne sexy, young, and masculine. I have a slightly different kind of soft spot for the line of Polo fragrances, Polo Sport was one of the first colognes that I tried when I was younger, and honestly still enjoy to these days. So, after trying a fragrance like Polo Sport, I decided that I should try out Polo Blue as well and give my opinion on it. My initial impression of this scent was immediately how fresh it was. I could really recognize the cool aquatic notes and it did conjure up ideas of the color blue in my mind. Albeit it's really great to wear on a warm spring or summer day, yet I also think that it works very well during the cooler autumn months because of the warm, woody, and slightly spicy notes.

Here it is... Polo Blue to my nose reveals the following main accords: ozonic, aquatic, fresh spicy, green, and musky, and opens on immediately discernable fresh melon notes followed by cool cucumber and hazy clementine zest. The opening lights with some surprising delicacy for a men’s fragrance. The fruity and aqueous head's accords are not too citrus, which makes the scent agreeable for early fall days, it is truly a breath of fresh air.

Plain floral geranium notes emerge first from the subtle head’s vanishing. This is quickly accompanied by aromatics dry greenness of clary sage, basil, and verbena. They mingle for a while before transitioning to the base. The heart is green and aromatic, with the strong lemony and grassy facets of the verbena, and the geranium leaves that add a bitterness and earthiness to this central stage.

When the dry down comes, refined notes of velvety leather appear first. This is shortly followed by the modern touch of patchouli and oakmoss, which provide fresh earthiness to the base’s blend. Clean mossy and musky tones melt with white amber and soft leather, a kind of velvety suede. The leather here is not too raw or animalic, is closer to a wallet or a belt made of lamb.

That said, Polo Blue is a majorly spring and summer fragrance, which is not out of keeping with fall days. Its aromatic and fruity notes would fare better in the heat, which probably adds to why this is an appropriate sports fragrance. Quite versatile in that it’s a seemingly all day fragrance. It’s easy to picture this being worn during the day, in the evening or even at work. The notes do sort of transform from very clean and crisp into something that is warmer and more sensual. While it does have plenty of fruit notes, this never becomes anything feminine, and I would say it’s entirely masculine. The woodsy notes anchor Polo Blue and don’t allow it to become a light and airy fragrance.

I would say that its projection is moderate. It’s not the type of cologne which will overwhelm with just a few sprays but it is by no means a weak one either. It has good to very good longevity, as I get through an entire workday and can still detect it before I shower at night.

-Elysium
7.0 5.0 2.0 7.0/10

Pleasant, Inoffensive, Weak
Nice fragrance. Opens up with a sweet melon and cucumber. The melon soon begins to fade after 5-10 minutes (although I wish it lingered more prominently throughout the composition), and a slightly musky suede note begins to peer through, adding some contrast. Once the melon settles down, most of what I get off my skin is cucumber and suede, with hints of basil and some florals in the background.

I have received some compliments within the first 15 minutes of spraying this, however, this only lasts about 2-3 hours on my skin. During the first 30 minutes though, projection is moderate and you get a nice sillage if you disperse the sprays around your body. This is typically with 6-9 sprays. Unfortunate, because I'd wear this a little more otherwise. Feels great and refreshing on a hot day, and clean after a shower.

Another knock I have on this would be the atomizer. I'm not sure about anybody else, but mine sprays a giant cloud about one-to-two inches far, making this fragrance annoying to apply. Perhaps this is related to my longevity issues.

All in all, I do like this one. Not my favourite by any means, but enjoyable nonetheless.
2.5 5.0 5.0 4.0/10

Sweet, Weak and Unremarkable
Take a fragrance bottle, fill with water and then add a teaspoon of milk and sugar. The result - Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren. Yes it's sweet and clean, but it's very weak and watery as well which is a shame as I really wanted to like this one. It's interesting that this was partly created by the same person who was responsible for the original Polo too as Polo Blue seems to be the exact polar opposite of the powerhouse original. Unfortunately though despite the interesting fragrance notes this really is nothing special.
5.0 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

Very Modern !
Yes! it is very modern Fragrance indeed. Although I am a big fan of 70s & 80s Fragrance - That old & heavy one :) - but Sometimes I just need a fresh & Light Fragrance for my spare time :) especial when I want to look like a Modern Man :)

Well, Polo Blue is just about Clean Freshness :) Take a shower and Spray about 7 sprays - sorry for my bad English :) - and you just ready to hunt some girls down :) A Metaphorical Speech :)

You may smell clearly a lovely Mixed aura of Melon, Mandarin & Basil in a soft way. Good long-lasting on my clothes with good "Modern" Sillage :)
7.5 5.0 5.0 5.0/10

Drseid
Another Generic Polo Flanker...
Very synthetic, generic and disappointing. I really have nothing much more to say about it, except it smells like just about every other safe aquatic scent out today with the addition of a cucumber note to the same old, same old mix. It won't offend anyone, but it is unlikely to impress either... certainly not me. I don't mind Polo Blue, but I wish I wouldn't have bought it. I recommend sticking to the original green bottle Polo which is a much, much better scent. 2.5 stars out of 5.

Polo Blue
I like this cologne. It's nothing groundbreaking but it does have a nice, clean, fresh out of the shower smell to it. Its downfall is that it doesn't last long enough on the skin. The scent is light so it's good for summer but unfortunately it's just too weak. Luckily I bought mine cheap. I will use up the bottle but will likely not repurchase.
5.0 5.0 7.0/10

A short lasting romance
There was once a man that I was very keen on. For years I lusted after him, until one drunken night, I let my feelings show and ended up going home with him. Polo Blue was the fragrance he wore that particular night.

I remember feeling intoxicated by its aroma, (in a good way). It was fresh, watery, a little citrusy and a touch herbaceous. Despite the fact that he was already a sexy looking guy, this fragrance made him all the more appealing.

This scent is youthful, yet masculine. It has a somewhat soapy edge that tends to become powdery as the fragrance develops.

While some dislike the dominant cucumber note, I rather enjoyed it. I used to have a sample of Polo Red, White and Blue, and in some ways, these two fragrances are similar.

This fragrance seems really suited to the young, sporty types. Unfortunately after my night with the man in question, we never saw each other again, so in some ways this fragrance has become less attractive in my eyes, just like CK's Eternity did after a two year relationship ended.

Polo Blue, although very pleasant, has shocking lasting power. I was a little disappointed to find it lasting no more than four hours. Every now and then I'll spritz this fragrance on to a piece of card to remember him, and everytime I do, I keep thinking how fresh, comforting, Summery and sporty this fragrance is.

Elysium 9 months ago
It's not a strongly scented cologne, yet warm, masculine and woodsy when it heats up. It will lightly stay with you all day long as well!+1
6.0

by Acamara
by Vawallpa
by Vawallpa

Popular Ralph Lauren

Polo (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Safari (Eau de Parfum) by Ralph Lauren Polo Blue (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Safari for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Polo Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Polo Red (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Polo Black (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Romance (Eau de Parfum) by Ralph Lauren Ralph by Ralph Lauren Lauren (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection - 2 by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection - 4 by Ralph Lauren Blue by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection - 1 by Ralph Lauren Glamourous by Ralph Lauren Notorious by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection - 3 by Ralph Lauren Polo Explorer (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection for Women - 2 by Ralph Lauren Polo Sport Woman by Ralph Lauren