Polo 1978 Eau de Toilette

Polo (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren
Bottle Design David Antonuccio
Polo (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Ralph Lauren for men and was released in 1978. The scent is green-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Carlos Benaïm

PatchouliPatchouli
TobaccoTobacco
VetiverVetiver
CedarCedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 09.12.2021.

Still a masterpiece
A lot has already been said over the years, so I’m not going to harp on the notes composition etc.
however every time I wear Polo Green I ask myself, why do you ever wear anything else? I’ve worn vintage when it wasn’t. I don’t care to go to the past. I live in the present and I’m happy with the current formula and stubby sprayer. Absolutely gorgeous.

JavSantana
Most masculine cologne ever?
May 2020 batch: Has a harsh (but great) juniper berries opening with lots of aromatics and a touch of citrus in there as well. The heart contains pine and some slight chypre floral nuances mainly of rose and carnation. Leather (A birch tar based russian leather) appears as a late heart note, but disappears in the far drydown. The drydown is a combo of mainly smoky tobacco, amber, earthy patchouli, vetiver, oakmoss and musk in there, with the amber making the edges of the aroma smoother and giving in this case a very slight sweetness that accompanies the tobacco, however, i don't smell notes such as the moss which is pretty tamed down pretty much in all frags nowadays, same for the musk, this frag is supposed to contain a pretty heavy animalic musk which i don't smell, and something pretty interesting happens with vetiver, it is not perceived as a protagonic note or anything but along cedar, acts as a wood backbone to this leather and pine heart.

Performance without any liquid evolution / aging inside the bottle is of around 8 hours for a single spray. With time i guess this will easily reach some 10 or 12 hours of performance, if not more. (This can already be achieved with overspraying.) This is happily one of my two signature scents, along Givenchy Gentleman '74, i use them at 20 years old. I find it to be a timeless ultramasculine scent. (And this formula is more refined, less heavy on leather than older ones which have an overwhelming smoke from the leather and the old school Polo is without any doubt the most masculine cologne i have ever smelled.) The reformulation has also made it more versatile since it is not that heavy and women seem to dislike the beastly leather in the older ones anyway. This evocates masculine activities, such as logging, wood burning for grilling or a fireplace, leather making, tobacco smoking, et cetera. I feel that any age group can use it when properly dressed. (Don't wear this with your modern day bomber jacket, teenager shirts, aesthetic outfits and stuff, wear this with some sweater on fall, a flannel or overall a long sleeve shirt or a real leather jacket. I think it admits casual use but it requires some care put into the look)
A great cologne overall.

ScentSlave
Definitely not what it used to be....
While the drydown in this is still good, the opening in the new formula is wikety-whacked!! Yikes... I almost scrubbed it off when I first sprayed it, but I wanted to give it a chance...

It was the first designer cologne I ever owned... I was 7 years old, and when I went shopping at Macy’s with my single mother, she would let me wander to the men’s fragrance section while she looked at clothes/purses... I remember spraying it EVERY time we went, because it smelled like a “rich, successful man”. I wanted to smell like that.

One of my aunts noticed my habit when she visited from out of town, and gifted me a 100ml splash bottle....

I used it rarely, until I hit puberty, and then I would splash it on to all the dances, and concerts I attended. It was vivid, masculine , and potent...
I wanted to be a Polo “Playah” !

The 2020 version I just bought (to take me back down memory lane) is nowhere near what it was in the 80s. While it’s not as bad as the Drakkar Noir reformulation (Polo actually smells similar/good on drydown).

Again... the opening is not the same as it was, and it’s the drydown that does the new formulation justice.

Sillage/projection are ok, and longevity is 6-8hour skin scent....

Another blast from the past.... that I’ll only wear at home
Peking2021
Who destroyed my scent so...
Polo green, my companion for over 30 years, made in USA. Often there were rumors that he should be discontinued, so I was forced to me as in the novel "MUSK" always keep a stock, if it should come to the worst. Now Kaufhof had an offer at the end of 2020, which I could not refuse, so I bought 10 containers 118 ml.
Had already irritated me the other spray head, I discovered that on the bottom of the bottle is recently Made in France. There are clearly still recognizable remnants of the Ur Polo, however, everyone who identifies me with my fragrance for years noted: do you have a different fragrance now, earlier one knew immediately when you are in the house?
What happened, has anyone of you noticed the same?

Ralph Lauren Polo Green
De rigueur for every mature man during any season. Even re-formulated, Polo Green still has that presence that just "smells good."

Forget about blue, red, black, purple and go GREEN. The only other RL frag that is distinct and comfortable to wear virtually any time is Safari for men.

Stand tall, grow your beard, dust off your boots, pull the trigger at least 4 times and walk the walk.

5 stars

Rquill67
80's classic... but has been reformulated!
Polo is an 80’s classic and I wore too much of it in my youth. Reminds me of the Flock of Seagulls, Polo shirts, and boat shoes. This fragrance is loud and says “here I am”. Not always something you want or need when you’re more mature. I can definitely smell the pine and the oak moss, but I don’t smell amber, tobacco or leather. I would say for the under 30 crowd. 5 / 10 for me.

AlexAly29
The green plain of freedom
Hard fragrance, with a mix of many green notes. It is a true old-school scent. It is said to be Chanel No.5 for men, an immortal classic.
Polo Green will definitely not be to everyone's liking and therefore should not be bought blind.
Siaga and persistence are huge.
Smoke bomb
What a slap in the face after the first spray. I wasn't expecting that: An absolute tobacco hammer that is not only smoky but also fresh and with a light sweet brutal in the nose hits. It makes your chest hair grow. You are no longer accustomed to such things from today's perfumes, most of which come across clean and clear. After a few hours the "Polo" smelled of herbs and woodruff. After 12 hours the scent was completely gone. For me clearly a favorite of my future collection.
Green over generations
Today I timidly asked my perfume dealer on the flea market if he could perhaps, perhaps, get the green polo?

It sank under the sales table and I heard rustling Kramgrams.
And - Eureka - grinning broadly he presented the bottle to me.

What hadn't been seen for a long time!
I wanted to fall Ralph around the bottleneck.

He used to be a fixed prop in Papa's Alibert - but my then teenage husband also wore the green one.

And both on the mature gentleman, and on my young pound, Polo made a good figure.
He gave the older " semester " a kick of youthfulness - and the younger " vegetable " a trace of maturity.

Both age groups benefited from the green spicy fragrance, which also offers many facets - such as clear spices, flowery parts, and the prominent pine.
The leather is antique and creaky, but the oak moss is dark and softly tart.
Tobacco rounds off the masculine scent in a saucy way.

Polo manages the balancing act between male elegance and sporty audacity.

In fact, I also visited a few polo games and found the label for the bottle to be well chosen, because on the polo court, too, I can hear rustic elegance and a pithy sportiness.

After all these years, Polo still looks good for the husband - which speaks for the adaptability of both
FabianO
A little like the herb schnapps after the big feast
I deleted my four year old commi for "Polo", a rather harsh tear at that time, which I don't want to sign any more in view of a new model of the old-school scent.

In general - I have noticed for a good 3/4 year now that my scent preferences have become strongly focused (and shifted somewhat). Throughout the winter of 2017/18, I stood in front of my numerous gourmand and oriental bottlings again and again in the mornings and was only rarely able to get myself to use them - even with scents that I had rated as 9.0 or 9.5. Too heavy, too opulent, too expansive.

"In this retrospective, "Polo" presents itself as a soothing counterweight, and I hear the good HaraldK murmuring into my conscience in the back of my mind: "See! I've always said that."

After watching one of my favourite films, "Das große Fressen" (The Big Eat), for the 5th time, again, a nice Italian-French cheese/grape platter and a delicious Côtes-du-Rhônes-Villages, I became a little aware of what my fragrance is like.

In the course of the intensive years of perfume, I have probably eaten my fill of many large, heavy Orientals and gourmands, over-eaten them excessively like the aging gentlemen in the film, who have to be helped to poop themselves by obese ladies riding around on their bellies.

"Polo" - to get things moving again - is now completely a relaxing green, clear, slightly bitter, somewhat herbaceous scent of old school, which the gentlemen from the film could quite appropriately have used themselves as the basis of their (at least officially) gentlemanly habitus (although the film came out 5 years before the release of the scent).

The first 5 minutes are still somewhat brute - tart, very spicy, tarragon, lots of caraway and coriander, pepper. Loud sounds, a little bit grumpy troublemakers.

Then, however, "Polo" oscillates itself beautifully, quite carefully angularly, in a clean, clear spectrum, camomile and pine shift in the direction of slightly woodier, head and spirit liberating green stylistics.
Fine tobacco and slightly mossy overgrown leather form a fine base that catches an interface between lumberjack rusticity and suitability.

A bit like the soothing but powerful herb schnapps that the gentlemen from "Das große Fressen" have to treat themselves to after their turkeys filled with cream and their sugar-sweet jelly breasts in order not to burst.

RobbieXRobbieX 2 months ago
A classic. Green and memorable.
Blako11Blako11 8 months ago
The opening is a green slap of pine and herbal notes capable of clearing a stuffy nose in 5 seconds. Impressive
PioPio 3 years ago
Interesting smell. Quite unique and strong.

by Zora
by Perfumani
by Toreter
by Toreter

Popular Ralph Lauren

Safari (Eau de Parfum) by Ralph Lauren Safari for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Purple Label by Ralph Lauren Tuxedo (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Safari (Parfum) by Ralph Lauren Lauren (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Polo Red Extreme by Ralph Lauren Glamourous by Ralph Lauren Polo Blue (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Polo Cologne Intense by Ralph Lauren Polo Supreme Cashmere by Ralph Lauren Extreme Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren Polo Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Chaps (Cologne) by Ralph Lauren Blue by Ralph Lauren Polo Supreme Oud by Ralph Lauren Polo Supreme Leather by Ralph Lauren Romance for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Ralph by Ralph Lauren Romance by Ralph Lauren