Polo (1978) Eau de Toilette

Polo (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren

Polo (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Ralph Lauren for men and was released in 1978. The scent is green-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Carlos Benaïm

Top Notes Top NotesBasil, Bergamot, Tarragon, Coriander, Caraway, Juniper berry
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Jasmine, Chamomile, Leather, Carnation, Pepper, Stone pine, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Musk, Patchouli, Tobacco, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 19.05.2019

8.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

Green over generations
Today I timidly asked my perfume dealer on the flea market if he could perhaps, perhaps, get the green polo?

It sank under the sales table and I heard rustling Kramgrams.
And - Eureka - grinning broadly he presented the bottle to me.

What hadn't been seen for a long time!
I wanted to fall Ralph around the bottleneck.

He used to be a fixed prop in Papa's Alibert - but my then teenage husband also wore the green one.

And both on the mature gentleman, and on my young pound, Polo made a good figure.
He gave the older " semester " a kick of youthfulness - and the younger " vegetable " a trace of maturity.

Both age groups benefited from the green spicy fragrance, which also offers many facets - such as clear spices, flowery parts, and the prominent pine.
The leather is antique and creaky, but the oak moss is dark and softly tart.
Tobacco rounds off the masculine scent in a saucy way.

Polo manages the balancing act between male elegance and sporty audacity.

In fact, I also visited a few polo games and found the label for the bottle to be well chosen, because on the polo court, too, I can hear rustic elegance and a pithy sportiness.

After all these years, Polo still looks good for the husband - which speaks for the adaptability of both
8.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

FabianO
A little like the herb schnapps after the big feast
I deleted my four year old commi for "Polo", a rather harsh tear at that time, which I don't want to sign any more in view of a new model of the old-school scent.

In general - I have noticed for a good 3/4 year now that my scent preferences have become strongly focused (and shifted somewhat). Throughout the winter of 2017/18, I stood in front of my numerous gourmand and oriental bottlings again and again in the mornings and was only rarely able to get myself to use them - even with scents that I had rated as 9.0 or 9.5. Too heavy, too opulent, too expansive.

"In this retrospective, "Polo" presents itself as a soothing counterweight, and I hear the good HaraldK murmuring into my conscience in the back of my mind: "See! I've always said that."

After watching one of my favourite films, "Das große Fressen" (The Big Eat), for the 5th time, again, a nice Italian-French cheese/grape platter and a delicious Côtes-du-Rhônes-Villages, I became a little aware of what my fragrance is like.

In the course of the intensive years of perfume, I have probably eaten my fill of many large, heavy Orientals and gourmands, over-eaten them excessively like the aging gentlemen in the film, who have to be helped to poop themselves by obese ladies riding around on their bellies.

"Polo" - to get things moving again - is now completely a relaxing green, clear, slightly bitter, somewhat herbaceous scent of old school, which the gentlemen from the film could quite appropriately have used themselves as the basis of their (at least officially) gentlemanly habitus (although the film came out 5 years before the release of the scent).

The first 5 minutes are still somewhat brute - tart, very spicy, tarragon, lots of caraway and coriander, pepper. Loud sounds, a little bit grumpy troublemakers.

Then, however, "Polo" oscillates itself beautifully, quite carefully angularly, in a clean, clear spectrum, camomile and pine shift in the direction of slightly woodier, head and spirit liberating green stylistics.
Fine tobacco and slightly mossy overgrown leather form a fine base that catches an interface between lumberjack rusticity and suitability.

A bit like the soothing but powerful herb schnapps that the gentlemen from "Das große Fressen" have to treat themselves to after their turkeys filled with cream and their sugar-sweet jelly breasts in order not to burst.
5.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

GabrielCupim
Prepare for a really, really woody one!
This one is a trully masterpiece, and a CLASSIC.

A very manly fragrance.
Wood, grass and branches is everything you're going to find, in a magnificent way.

The scent is quite dry, and that's because some people may dislike it, but I love it.

It's a tough blind buy, I would recommend one to smell it first anywhere before buying.

But if you're into woody fragrances, this one will surprise you, despite the fact that some may find to too woody.

Polo? Oh No...
A solid piece of Anglo-Saxon inspired classicism.

From the outset it hits you with green, and herbal anisic blue notes supported by vetiver, and a brown and purple camphoraceous patchouli, exalted by plasticky white musk.

I must admit that I don't like anisic perfumes and I'm not keen on patchouli or white musk but there's something in the way they combine here that really turns my stomach.

Like a Footsie 100 CEO, impressive but not somebody I want to spend time with.
7.5 7.5 5.0 7.0/10

Green leather, gray oakmoss
It is not a surprise when Polo has that much fans. Everyone with least tendency to classics drops in its trap.
Polo is a grassy patchouli and smoky fresh pine. The opening is intense green and sport by all mean. Classic sports and combed hair. Then the greenness goes over-hued and animality appears. The complete fragrance is mossy grassy pine and musky gray leather. A real powerhouse.
Still one of the best to celebrate classics. Or you can go on with more vegetal version by Loewe Esencia pour homme. Great longevity, immensely great projection.
7/10
10.0 7.5 5.0 6.0/10

My Old Friend Has Changed
The mini review on the vintage juice is dead on. I have a tiny bit of the vintage and it just sings. Beautiful and brilliant stuff. Powerful and masculine but elegant and refined.

My new bottle arrived today. While I still recognize it...time and reformulation have not been kind to my old friend. While the notes are still there, they've become harsh and bitter where they were once so lovely. Most of the staying power is now gone.

This version makes me think of an old high school friend. We were close in our younger days but a lot of hard life and bad decisions have given him a bitter and unpleasant edge. I still see the person he was but his bitterness has caused me to distance myself. I get the feeling this is going to happen with my former signature scent as well. Sad.
7.5 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

Benaim's Legendary Masterpiece...
*This is a mini-review of the vintage juice.

The original Polo was one of the first scents I ever was exposed to, and it was my "go to scent" throughout my high school days and into early college. Twenty-five years later, I do not wear it as frequently anymore but I still love the scent and find it has held up over time. A classic woody mossy and coniferous scent that screams masculine and powerful. The first Polo and still by far, even after all the various flankers and expansions of the brand, the best. Polo is an absolute classic and earns a well-deserved "masterpiece" rating of 5 stars out of 5.

Pio 44 days ago
Interesting smell. Quite unique and strong.

by Zora
by BBking
by Toreter
by Toreter

Popular Ralph Lauren

Polo (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Safari (Eau de Parfum) by Ralph Lauren Polo Blue (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Safari for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Polo Red (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Polo Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Romance (Eau de Parfum) by Ralph Lauren Polo Black (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Ralph by Ralph Lauren Lauren (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection - 2 by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection - 4 by Ralph Lauren Blue by Ralph Lauren Glamourous by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection - 1 by Ralph Lauren Notorious by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection - 3 by Ralph Lauren Polo Explorer (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Polo Sport Woman by Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection for Women - 2 by Ralph Lauren