Polo 1978 Eau de Toilette

Polo (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren
Bottle Design David Antonuccio
8.0 / 10 386 Ratings
Polo (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Ralph Lauren for men and was released in 1978. The scent is green-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top Notes BasilBasil BergamotBergamot TarragonTarragon CorianderCoriander CarawayCaraway Juniper berryJuniper berry
Heart Notes Heart Notes GeraniumGeranium JasmineJasmine ChamomileChamomile LeatherLeather CarnationCarnation PepperPepper PinePine RoseRose
Base Notes Base Notes AmberAmber OakmossOakmoss MuskMusk PatchouliPatchouli TobaccoTobacco VetiverVetiver CedarCedar

Videos
Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 03.02.2023.

17 in-depth fragrance descriptions
Top Review 28
A little like the herb schnapps after the big feast
I deleted my four year old commi for "Polo", a rather harsh tear at that time, which I don't want to sign any more in view of a new model of the old-school scent.

In general - I have noticed for a good 3/4 year now that my scent preferences have become strongly focused (and shifted somewhat). Throughout the winter of 2017/18, I stood in front of my numerous gourmand and oriental bottlings again and again in the mornings and was only rarely able to get myself to use them - even with scents that I had rated as 9.0 or 9.5. Too heavy, too opulent, too expansive.

"In this retrospective, "Polo" presents itself as a soothing counterweight, and I hear the good HaraldK murmuring into my conscience in the back of my mind: "See! I've always said that."

After watching one of my favourite films, "Das große Fressen" (The Big Eat), for the 5th time, again, a nice Italian-French cheese/grape platter and a delicious Côtes-du-Rhônes-Villages, I became a little aware of what my fragrance is like.

In the course of the intensive years of perfume, I have probably eaten my fill of many large, heavy Orientals and gourmands, over-eaten them excessively like the aging gentlemen in the film, who have to be helped to poop themselves by obese ladies riding around on their bellies.

"Polo" - to get things moving again - is now completely a relaxing green, clear, slightly bitter, somewhat herbaceous scent of old school, which the gentlemen from the film could quite appropriately have used themselves as the basis of their (at least officially) gentlemanly habitus (although the film came out 5 years before the release of the scent).

The first 5 minutes are still somewhat brute - tart, very spicy, tarragon, lots of caraway and coriander, pepper. Loud sounds, a little bit grumpy troublemakers.

Then, however, "Polo" oscillates itself beautifully, quite carefully angularly, in a clean, clear spectrum, camomile and pine shift in the direction of slightly woodier, head and spirit liberating green stylistics.
Fine tobacco and slightly mossy overgrown leather form a fine base that catches an interface between lumberjack rusticity and suitability.

A bit like the soothing but powerful herb schnapps that the gentlemen from "Das große Fressen" have to treat themselves to after their turkeys filled with cream and their sugar-sweet jelly breasts in order not to burst.
Top Review 24
Green over generations
Today I timidly asked my perfume dealer on the flea market if he could perhaps, perhaps, get the green polo?

It sank under the sales table and I heard rustling Kramgrams.
And - Eureka - grinning broadly he presented the bottle to me.

What hadn't been seen for a long time!
I wanted to fall Ralph around the bottleneck.

He used to be a fixed prop in Papa's Alibert - but my then teenage husband also wore the green one.

And both on the mature gentleman, and on my young pound, Polo made a good figure.
He gave the older " semester " a kick of youthfulness - and the younger " vegetable " a trace of maturity.

Both age groups benefited from the green spicy fragrance, which also offers many facets - such as clear spices, flowery parts, and the prominent pine.
The leather is antique and creaky, but the oak moss is dark and softly tart.
Tobacco rounds off the masculine scent in a saucy way.

Polo manages the balancing act between male elegance and sporty audacity.

In fact, I also visited a few polo games and found the label for the bottle to be well chosen, because on the polo court, too, I can hear rustic elegance and a pithy sportiness.

After all these years, Polo still looks good for the husband - which speaks for the adaptability of both
Top Review 16
Smoke bomb
What a slap in the face after the first spray. I wasn't expecting that: An absolute tobacco hammer that is not only smoky but also fresh and with a light sweet brutal in the nose hits. It makes your chest hair grow. You are no longer accustomed to such things from today's perfumes, most of which come across clean and clear. After a few hours the "Polo" smelled of herbs and woodruff. After 12 hours the scent was completely gone. For me clearly a favorite of my future collection.
Helpful Review 8
Who destroyed my scent so...
Polo green, my companion for over 30 years, made in USA. Often there were rumors that he should be discontinued, so I was forced to me as in the novel "MUSK" always keep a stock, if it should come to the worst. Now Kaufhof had an offer at the end of 2020, which I could not refuse, so I bought 10 containers 118 ml.
Had already irritated me the other spray head, I discovered that on the bottom of the bottle is recently Made in France. There are clearly still recognizable remnants of the Ur Polo, however, everyone who identifies me with my fragrance for years noted: do you have a different fragrance now, earlier one knew immediately when you are in the house?
What happened, has anyone of you noticed the same?

My Old Friend Has Changed
The mini review on the vintage juice is dead on. I have a tiny bit of the vintage and it just sings. Beautiful and brilliant stuff. Powerful and masculine but elegant and refined.

My new bottle arrived today. While I still recognize it...time and reformulation have not been kind to my old friend. While the notes are still there, they've become harsh and bitter where they were once so lovely. Most of the staying power is now gone.

This version makes me think of an old high school friend. We were close in our younger days but a lot of hard life and bad decisions have given him a bitter and unpleasant edge. I still see the person he was but his bitterness has caused me to distance myself. I get the feeling this is going to happen with my former signature scent as well. Sad.
More reviews

6 short views on the fragrance
Blako11Blako11 2 years ago
The opening is a green slap of pine and herbal notes capable of clearing a stuffy nose in 5 seconds. Impressive
RobbieXRobbieX 1 year ago
A classic. Green and memorable.
SpacebaseSpacebase 19 days ago
Masculine, Masculine, Masculine! Smells like a spring hike in the woods, and a day at the golf course: at the same time. Signature-worthy.
RazvanykeRazvanyke 9 months ago
What a fougere, wow ! I never smelled this until today and boom! The notes are so good together and that oakmoss is to die for. Instant love
SnikersSnikers 12 months ago
A masterpiece. The vintage of course. Piney, leathery, herbal goodness. The new version is still ok but the pine and leather are flat.
More statements

Pie Chart Radar Chart

Images

29 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Ralph Lauren

Safari (Eau de Parfum) by Ralph Lauren Purple Label by Ralph Lauren Safari for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Lauren (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Polo Red Extreme by Ralph Lauren Polo Cologne Intense by Ralph Lauren Polo Supreme Cashmere by Ralph Lauren Polo Blue (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Glamourous by Ralph Lauren Polo Deep Blue by Ralph Lauren Tuxedo (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Polo Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Polo Blue (Eau de Parfum) by Ralph Lauren Polo Supreme Leather by Ralph Lauren Chaps (Cologne) by Ralph Lauren Polo Crest (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Romance by Ralph Lauren Romance for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Blue by Ralph Lauren Polo Modern Reserve - 30th Anniversary Edition by Ralph Lauren