Safari (1989)Eau de Parfum

Safari (Eau de Parfum) by Ralph Lauren
Bottle Design Ben Kotyuk

Safari (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Ralph Lauren for women and was released in 1989. The scent is floral-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Galbanum, Hyacinth, Mandarin, Orange, Pot marigold, Blackcurrant
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris root, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Narcissus, Orange blossom, Rose, Rosemary
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Moss, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 04.07.2020.

Undecided
When I smelled the bottle for the first time without spraying, I immediately thought of Samsara EDP. I didn't really like the base there and couldn't find out why yet. That's why I immediately compared the fragrance components. The two actually have something in common. I don't know which scent component really disturbs me, because I would have to know the scents of the individual components. When I sprayed the fragrance now before (once again not met and my blouse now has stains) :D I felt it first as lively, perhaps from the mandarin or also from the aldehyde. I've read that there are several of them and I would have guessed Aldehyde C10, but I'm probably not a connoisseur. :) I don't really know if it still smells powdery, clean in a way I can't describe. And it smells like old times to me, too. After all, the fragrance is from the year 1989. Maybe this fragrance component was used more often at that time, as I also noticed in comparison with samsara (the same year). Although the two fragrances are not identical in the top note, they are all the more similar in the heart note. I find the bottle mega beautiful and the name of the perfume together with the bottle made this fragrance interesting
Finally to my report, I am not sure if I wear this fragrance or if it is suitable for me. I think it stays spicy and tangy for a long time, becomes softer later. We need to have more experience together. :) :D
Hidden Jewel
These days I discovered the bottle deep in the back of my perfume drawer. This wonderful crystal bottle, even with the rest of the eau de parfum. I had completely forgotten him, now triggered by my recent activities at Parfumo my drawer browsed and found him again
The perfume was a surprise present of my husband (an absolute perfume muffle!) from the 90s. That's why I was so happy about it at the time. Of course I had to test the scent immediately after such a long time. And lo and behold: He has not tilted, he is still present in full intensity and glory.

It starts wonderfully flowery-herb, with me without any fruit and sweetness, not a bit intrusive, but dense and splendid. After some time it gets warmer and more woody, the flowers step into the background. It is still wonderful, unmistakable and elegant in its own way. Unfortunately it doesn't stay as long as before, after five hours I can only sniff a spicy hint. I think that's due to his age.

Perfectly also the name Safari, which suggests robustness, freedom and adventure. Less suitable for the small black, more suitable for dignified excursions into nature. And last but not least, the bottle is also a real jewel. I'm very happy to have found him again!

Ralph Lauren Safari
The fact that this smells "dated" is exactly why I love it. What is "smelling dated" anyway? To me, how something smells to someone is all about perception and what appeals to each individual. Personally, I go by the notes within the scent to decide if it's for me or not. My tastes are varied, as varied as they can be while still being governed by my wallet! HA! I never smell a fragrance and think, "wow, this smells like 1989, 1997, 2006 or 2019." I don't know what a "year" is supposed to smell like. I just know if it appeals to me or not. I think trends are a real thing though and with each decade, there are trends in fragrance, just like in fashion, hair, make-up, decor or whatever it may be. It drives me crazy when people smell a scent and say "ew, that smells like an old lady!" Most mature women I know, smell absolutely fabulous. Confidence goes a long way when sporting a fragrance.

My Grandmother used to wear Timeless by Avon and it smelled lovely on her. She didn't care that some perfume snobs looked down on Avon, she loved her perfume and her confidence in wearing it made others think that she smelled divine. Same thing with my Aunt and her Charlie by Revlon or my Mom and her Tabu by Dana. They rocked those scents because THEY loved them on themselves, all else be damned! There is a woman I work with who always wears Eternity by Calvin Klein. My goodness, she smells like a million bucks and you can tell that she loves the scent herself, just by the way she carries herself. I find people like this, impressive and inspiring. Wear what you love, even if everyone questions it! Life is too short for any other nonsense!

I suppose when people say that a fragrance smells dated, it's because what was on-trend then has now become off-trend. I, for one, prefer this. Generally speaking, I have no desire to smell like the masses. I even layer scents now and then to make up my own concoction and why not? It's fun for me to conjure up some kind of "swamp-water!" HA!

Safari, oh glorious Safari. Beautiful in every way. Blended to perfection. A little dry, a little green, a little spicy, a little florally and a lot classy! I adore it. I much prefer it over the men's version which I don't find nearly as fetching.

The bottle, a gorgeous piece of art, ensures that long after the golden liquid has disappeared, it will be kept, empty or not. I don't display my fragrance bottles (they are kept hidden away in a dark cabinet) but if I did, this one would be front and center.

Safari lasts all day on me and only really starts to fade after about 10 hours and even though it's fading out by then, I still catch whiffs.

If this fragrance is considered dated by today's standards then I will happily wear that badge with honor.
Chenoa
Nostalgia in the here and now
The '90s... i was just in my early twenties, the first "wild" times were over, the failed perm had just grown out of it, shoulder pads only in a few selected jackets ... the longing for permanence and arrival in apparent contradiction to the still vivid call for adventure and freedom. And I met my first great love.
Beautiful years together followed, in which we practiced being and becoming adults, only to realize painfully in the end that the merging of two souls cannot necessarily be the goal of life.

"Safari" has accompanied me through the ups and downs of this time. It is incredibly multi-layered, comforting, warm, flattering, feminine and somehow familiar ... and also an expression of this inner voice, which always wakes up, inspires to discover new things, to set out, to get involved in life, not to hold on to anything.
With this fragrance, Dominique Ropion has created a masterpiece that takes up space and is always present.

The other day I came across an old picture of myself while cleaning up. From the nineties. I'm beaming into the camera The pain from back then has long been healed, happiness doesn't need a time frame.
Now, after more than 25 years, I have bought the fragrance again. When it fits, it fits. I'm the same, and yet, I'm very different from what I was. This kind of nostalgia is not burdensome, but makes you grateful, just like that and for the moment.

And there's a magic inside every beginning..

The Choice Scent for Intellectuals, Circa 1990
When I was in my early teens I received my mom and my aunt’s perfume hand-me-downs. My opinions of those scents were of no consequence; love it or hate it, I wore it. Of course, it was always better when I loved the second-hand perfume. I hated Oscar de la Renta’s eponymous perfume but I wore it daily for three months when I was sixteen because my mom gave it to me. That was as good a reason as any to wear a scent, even a despised scent. But RL Safari was a solid love affair. Nothing could ever replace my beloved scent. Nothing.

I’m trying to get back into my fifteen-year-old self’s headspace to understand what it was that made Safari so irresistible. My fifteen-year-old friends were wearing Liz Claibourn, Tresor, or Sunflowers. I was a wallflower whose perfume made her stick out like a clichéd sore thumb. I carried my cut glass trophy of a scent everywhere I went, and boy, was that bottle heavy. I refreshed my scent often, which was absolutely not necessary. Often, I smelled of Safari even after showers. Our love was solid. But why?

It was the last of the big-boned broads from the late 1980s/early 1990s. Safari was not as obtrusive as its contemporaries (I’m looking at you, Red Door) but it was not demure, per se. Safari was bold but it was also tempered with green elements, like oakmoss and vetiver. It did not feature prominent roses or jasmine; they are present but lurking in—not dominating—the scent. Instead, new and unorthodox flowers were presented to star in this show. In a word, Safari smelled new. To smell it now, it smells kind of dated.

I never answered WHY. I loved its quirky personality and its greenness. I loved its status as a perfume outcast, for I was an awkward outcast, too. It was light years away from what every girl in high school was wearing. It was smart and sophisticated, or at least what I imagined smart and sophisticated women wore while reading Kafka for pleasure’s sake. Safari represented the woman I aspired to become. Safari still smells like that to me.

I’m spending a little time with Safari because many loves have come between us. It feels an awful lot like seeing a high school boyfriend some twenty-five years later while you’re shopping for tomatoes with your current beau. It is awkward and confusing but you might remember what it was that caused you butterflies some twenty-five years ago. Or you might scratch your head and wonder what all the fuss was about. I’m recalling the butterflies and the love letters of years past. However, I’ve moved on. I’m happier snuggling up to my Guerlains and my Tauers. But Safari taught me how to love and appreciate what’s beautiful and unique in the (perfume) world. For that reason we’ll continue to catch up every so often for a platonic date. We will then part ways until next time.

old time classic
I knew this perfume since 90s. What can I say it is really a masterpiece. Thank goodness it was again once more available after so many years of disappearance. It is so aromatic yet exotic and soapy too. I can't find many words to describe this one but such perfumes of this quality will never be made again. I would suggest this is appropriate for spring/summer. Longevity is great and sillage much appropriate. I must not forget to praise enough the first class bottle along with the snakeskin magnificent box. All collectors of perfumes should get this one. 10/10.

Darker Grasses I Thought
Safari began as a very earthy scent for me, a welcome winter fragrance that is full, rich and seems to embody heavy spices. It's a very powerful perfume that can overwhelm if used with a heavy hand, I found. If dabbed on the pulse points and one allows the heat of the body to release it, Safari is better allowed to express itself. But then it began to change.
It seemed to switch around at mid-point for me and become more cloyingly thick with floral overtones. I had difficulty with this perfume. As time went on, it thickened, rather than mellow out and ease into my own body chemistry. The scent became more astringent and dark green in affect rather than sweeter grasses. It was far more pungent than I expected.
This vintage safari turned out not to be my style and work against me, rather than with me.

Harmony in Green & Orange
Does color have a smell? Everyone has it's own
interpretation to such Questions, ie;Red,A rose?, Cherry,
Pepper?,Y.S.L Opium?,Blue, Blueberries,
Water,Sea-breeze?
,D&G Light Blue? For me R.L Safari is
the Interplay of Greens & Oranges.

Safari with a note of sharp cold Aldehyde Giving
with their velvet Petals turns Safari Herbaceous

I Can notice a Note of Peach during the middle of
the Aldehyde and Galbanum Clash adding a fruity
Touch in this already Multifaceted Canvas,

I With the Notes that i smelled and that of that note cards
I Would Picture Safari Like an Interplay or a Battle Of Colors
to see who will dominate Like the
Aldehydes and The Galbanum are the Green Notes
and Tagetes Orange on a Vast Meadow.

But i Must Add that The Flacon design has to be
sheer Craftsmanship But i Must Add that The Flacon
design has to be
sheer Craftsmanship The Bottle makes you think
of the Old Antebellum South women with Corsets
and Hoop skirts Dixie Scarlet O'Hara Rogues
who sit on the porch Sipping Bourbon Under Lines
of Oak Trees,
Ralph Lauren Safari Gives me that Vibe.

ridiculous concept/marketing-wonderful green floral
I hadn’t known that this was discontinued until I started to write this reflection. I’m of a couple of minds about Safari, but I’m sorry it’s d/c’d. It’s an interesting alternative to other widely-available, mainstream florals. It starts crisp and grassy. It’s heavy on the galbanum, but the high-pitched green florals (especially hyacinth) keep it from seeming chalky. The midnotes categorize Safari: green, woody floral.

I do like Safari for its crisp coolness, but this snappiness slowly fades. It remains cool to the touch, a great feature in a hot climate, but gets a little sweeter over time. The sweetness works well with the grassy, somewhat fruity topnotes and gives that feeling in the nose of taking a shot of wheatgrass. Eventually, though, the sweetness leaves the drydown lacking the dimension of the top and heartnotes. Overall, Safari is an extremely coherent design and has remarkable longevity.

A note: I haven’t the least idea how this fragrance relates to a safari. The typical Ralph Lauren notion of surrounding yourself with the trappings of privilege from some distorted fictional past is particularly horrifying here. If what Africa provides for North America and Europe is a cheap vacation (“safari”) why not go whole hog, stay a bit, and call it Colonialism?

Awesomeness
Unique, if not always wearable
I adore the dry, green character of this fragrance, but I am not a lover of white florals and I found it difficult to wear in parfum formulation.

Regardless, Safari is unique. I really wish it would have worked for me personally. I understand how others could love this. I had it in the parfum: It was long-lasting (12+ hours). I often regret putting it up for swap just so I might take a sniff every once & awhile.

You can still find parfum refills available at a good price online ... gotta hunt though because it's becoming harder and harder to find.

UPDATE: The parfum refill is most difficult for me to wear. However, I found a part-bottle of vintage EdP and it is EXCELLENT and more WEARABLE. On me, Safari wears like the top notes of Van Cleef (1993) and the basenotes of Gianfranco Ferré (1984). Safari EdP still has white florals that are a bit pesky for me sometimes, but I find this vintage formulation quite likable. Happy to have it in my collection.

GorgiaGorgia 6 months ago
Ralph Lauren Safari is an rich,luxurious,opulent and completely unique fragrance.Safari is a aromatic floral delight
DimitrakounDimitrakoun 12 months ago
The bitter taste of Southeast Mediterranean summer.

by Blödel
by Echtdufte
by SweetApricot
by SweetApricot

Popular Ralph Lauren

Polo (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Safari for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Lauren (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Glamourous by Ralph Lauren Polo Blue (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Safari (Parfum) by Ralph Lauren Purple Label by Ralph Lauren Polo Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Chaps (Cologne) by Ralph Lauren Romance for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Blue by Ralph Lauren Polo Red Extreme by Ralph Lauren Polo Supreme Cashmere by Ralph Lauren Ralph by Ralph Lauren Romance by Ralph Lauren Polo Supreme Oud by Ralph Lauren Polo Black (Eau de Toilette) by Ralph Lauren Extreme Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren Polo Supreme Leather by Ralph Lauren Polo Blue (Eau de Parfum) by Ralph Lauren