Dry Wood 2011

Dry Wood by Ramón Monegal
Bottle Design Ramón Monegal Maso
Dry Wood is a perfume by Ramón Monegal for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Citron, Laurel, Black pepper, Oakmoss, Cashmeran, Norlimbanol™, Sandalwood, Cedarwood

Submitted by Florblanca, last update on 21.04.2020.

3.5

KingPin
Train ride and sailing camp
When I was about ten/eleven years old in the early 80-ies I was living on the coast of the Swedish archipelago. Our greatest adventure was going alone with friends on the train to Stockholm. It is only 45 minutes, but it felt like a faraway trip to another world. You had no cellphones in those days, so you were truly on your own. The trains were old, probably over 20 years, in brown metal with wooden panels inside, and a bordeaux/dark grey striped velvety padding on the very upright seats. We usually did these trips in summer, so the windows were down so that you could catch the breeze in the otherwise steaming carriages.

The trains were as mentioned very old, and were built for transport, not comfort. The brakes were metal-on-metal, so the breaking was a screechy affair. As the train braked on these dusty summer days there was a distinct smell of burnt metal and dust. As smell of the iron in blood, smoke, gravel dust and cold steel. This is the EXACT opening scent of “Dry Wood”, combined with a bit of bay leaf (after an initial flash of citrus).

After about an hour or two the bay leaf takes over with hints of fresh pepper. Interestingly enough, in Sweden you use bay leaf in the water when boiling hot dogs, so my trip goes from train adventures to sailing camp in the archipelago. Boiled hotdogs were a staple lunch for the crews, hungry as wolves after hours on the sea, and the bay leaf scent was a blessing since it signified an upcoming feast of hot dogs in bread with ketchup and mustard.

Even though I thoroughly enjoyed these trips down memory lane, I must admit that smelling like train breaks and hot dog water with pepper is probably not going to be my signature scent.

Bad Wood...
Dry Wood opens on skin with a nose burning blast of citron before quickly calming down to allow the lemon-like citron to smooth out, joining with just a touch of black pepper to dirty it up a bit. The citron and pepper remain into the early heart notes, where a strong woody accord presents itself. This wood contains hints of cedar, but there is some other wood in there that I am having a hard time identifying. In the mid heart an extremely strong bay leaf note emerging from the base takes the fore and dominates everything else completely through the base notes. Projection and longevity are outstanding.

This one is a scent on paper that I should love, but I confess I don't. The opening citron blast was quite the shocker that really could clear sinuses and I mean it. Things got off to a disappointing start but began to right themselves as the citron calmed down and allowed one to really appreciate it. It actually meshes with the woody accord quite well and I started to enjoy the scent... Then the bay leaf completely spoiled things in my mind as I kept likening it more than a bit to the dry-down of Havana by Aramis (a scent I love) but the bay leaf is much stronger here and less desirable smelling, IMO. On the whole I don't dislike Dry Wood and it has some nice strengths at times, but at the kind of prices RM charges, a scent has to really impress and I don't think Dry Wood lives up to the standard. I personally would stick to the much better Havana at a fraction of the price of this one. My rating is a very average 2.5 out of 5 stars.

HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Distinct herbaceous note (bay leaves, moss) and fresh-citric accents are rather juicy than dry and backed by a synthetic woodsy note.

by Mustang69
by Taurus1967
by Florblanca
by Florblanca

Popular Ramón Monegal

Next to Me / Dubai Next to Me by Ramón Monegal Flamenco by Ramón Monegal Cuirelle by Ramón Monegal Faïsa by Ramón Monegal Ambra di Luna by Ramón Monegal Impossible Iris by Ramón Monegal Agar Musk by Ramón Monegal Entre Naranjos by Ramón Monegal Soul of Oud by Ramón Monegal Pure Mariposa by Ramón Monegal Umbra by Ramón Monegal Ibiza - #Cafe del Mar by Ramón Monegal Mediterranean Memories by Ramón Monegal Monbloom by Ramón Monegal Mon Patchouly by Ramón Monegal Hand in Hand - Rose & Oudh by Ramón Monegal Mon Cuir by Ramón Monegal Ibiza - #La Isla Blanca by Ramón Monegal Cherry Musk by Ramón Monegal Olé by Ramón Monegal