Oud Assam 2013

Oud Assam by Rania J.
Oud Assam is a popular perfume by Rania J. for men and was released in 2013. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase.
Scent goes well with Orange Sanguine

FrankincenseFrankincense
PepperPepper
Tonka beanTonka bean
MuskMusk

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 23.11.2021.

'Jewellery for the Skin'
On her website, Rania J advises people to be cautious. She asks them to try this before buying, because it can be 'challenging for non oud lovers'.

The reason for this warning may be the knife edge overtone that appears at the top of the scent. It gives a sharpness to the antiseptic smell of natural oud; and, if it's worn (discretely) in a medical setting, Oud Assam blends perfectly with the background hum of strict hygene. But if you are wearing it in quantity, this opening could be too strident for those who aren’t used to such things.

Under the synthetic note and the disinfectant oud, there are smoky and leathery facets which are faintly touched with orange.
And, with incense and pepper it's unsweet-bitter. But having said that, I detect
something softer and sweeter, almost floral, which (according to Wikipedia) is a mark of real agarwood. Later, there's the rich acid barnyard note - which could be mixed with narcissus, and the cheesy aroma, which oud lovers will know...

I get fruity maroon, leathery, woody, cheesy and fungal Breton cider from the empty sprayer - the smell of rotting apples on the humid earth.
And then there's a dry floral, and a salty note of vetiver, and musk from my cuffs ...
This really is complex stuff, and a welcome change to yer regular high street pong. I wish I had more juice to do a fuller review, this empty sample gave out a few paltry squits and now it’s gone.

I'm no oud expert, but it strikes me this is an authentic hybrid that blends Eastern oud with scintillating Western highlights; something which Rania J is able to do with
authority. Having grown up in the middle east and africa, she now lives in Paris.

And despite her warning, I think that this - with familiar tones in it’s strange coloured brew is a good place to start, especially as you can buy just a 2ml sample.

RahulESJ
Powerhouse Oud (atleast the opening)
Smelling Oud Assam feels like digging your nose in some real middle eastern pure oud oil. It’s one of the most purest, pungent & opulent oud I have smelled along with deadofnight from Strange Love. ⁣

⭕️ Oud Assam has Indian oud which is a powerhouse. It opens with a blast of oud along with some some citruses nuances. The opening is definitely challenging (if you are not into oud) but soon it becomes earthy and soft and its really heavenly. The dry down is where it really shines for me. ⁣

There is a lot of muskiness once you get past few hours in the fragrance. There is slight sweetness wrapped around incense notes very similar to vanilla/ tonka that balances the fragrance once the citruses from the opening mellow down. ⁣

⭕️ Oud vetiver and tonka are definitely are the star of Oud Assam in the best possible blend you can think of. This is one fragrance that’s best worn on the skin and its where it shines (unlike some other that do very well on clothes). ⁣

Oud Assam to me is a bold and beastly fragrance. If you want to up your game with Oud, I can definitely recommend you to get yourself a sample. It’s warm, captivating and elegant. Lasts forever and definitely turns heads. However, like I said, not for everyone so definitely sample before!⁣

⭕️ Overall, Oud Assam is growing on me with every single spray I put on and I can’t wait to wear the heck out of it in coming days. If you like real oud you will like the opening of the fragrance and if you like smelling great, the dry down would just do the job! ⁣

Smellavision
This opening is the real deal...
Damn, this opens up smelling exactly like the barnyard, old-blue-cheese-like stuff that us westerners imagine the purest of oud would smell like - rotting and musty. If this were to continue, I wouldn't expect any europeans ever buying this scent.

Luckily, after about 30 minutes Oud Assam slowly morphs into something much smoother, woody and smoky but still with an oud vibe present and ends up almost like a soapy vetiver. I'm very impressed with the longevity of this one and also the oud smells very realistic, actually I'd be betting some money on the real stuff being in here.

Nice to try an oud based scent that doesn't lean on to the rose path (though I do detect a slight vanilla sometimes in this one), but if you're a newcomer to oud territory, you'd better try before you buy.

oriental woody
I get alot of citrus and peppery accords from the opening which becomes milder as time passes and the oud becomes more apparent. However I do not find the oud very dark or oily in this scent as compared to Kurkdjian's Oud. I find this more of an citrus opening leading to oriental/woody scent than an oud dominant scent. Sillage and longevity are good as I seem to find is a trend with Rania's scents that I have tried. I do agree that I find a similarity between this scent and C'est la Fete Patchouli even if the ingredient list differs markedly, however Oud Assam is more smoky than the Lacroix. I like it but I don't love it and I think there are far more striking ouds if one is looking for an oud dominant scent.

HermeshHermesh 6 years ago
Sweetish Oud harmonizes with citric and woody notes. Initially strong, it becomes comfortable in the middle and the base with some tea aroma.

Im Palast zu Assam
by Floyd
Conan der Barbar Wenn du mit mir Streit anfängst werde ich die schlimmsten Dämonen der Hölle herbeirufen. Stall trifft Bitterorange.Great.Meine liebste Oudbombe.
by Seejungfrau
by Seejungfrau
by Amadea70
by Amadea70

Popular Rania J.

Ambre Loup by Rania J. Cuir Andalou by Rania J. Lavande 44 by Rania J. T. Habanero by Rania J. Rose Ishtar by Rania J. Jasmin Kâma by Rania J. Musc Moschus by Rania J.