38°N 16°E by Richard Lüscher Britos

38°N 16°E is a perfume by Richard Lüscher Britos for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is citrusy-floral. It is still in production.

Bergamot, Orange blossom, Sandalwood, Frankincense

Submitted by Colognissimo, last update on 10.11.2016

7.5 5.0 2.5 4.0/10

Searching
Since all Richard Lüscher Britos fragrances are dedicated for a certain place, I was searching in my mind, where could I find this scent in its natural occurrence. I have never been in Italy or Spain or Portugal, so I can not imagine it as natural aroma of an existing place.

Bergamot shines at the beginning as a spotlight, but a blossom joins very soon. I know orange blossom, at least I thought that I know it, but I can not identify it here. Unfortunately there is no further time for examine the situation deeper, the maximum endurance of 38°N 16°E is 2 hours on my skin.

This perfume contains a certain kindness, and is really unisex, but not my taste.

Premature ending in Calabria
Richard Lüscher Britos Terroir Perfumes are designed to tell an individual story of a specific place and capture a 'terroir'. 38°N 16°E (Reggio di Calabria) is an all-natural journey to Southern Italy's olfactory characteristics. For perfume lovers Calabria certainly is a synonym of bergamot and 38°N 16°E’s opening is all about this citrus fruit. Crisp and citrusy, the fragrance instantly evokes a vivid image of the green peel and its essential oil. Soon the scent of orange blossom blends in perfectly, sweetish fresh and mellow, without any indolic trait. Jean-Claude Richard created a simple yet stunningly beautiful top note which transitions seamlessly into an early and graceful heart. Sandalwood lends creamy smoothness but does not come across particularly woody.
Alas, to my nose at least, it fades all too soon at this stage. Although sandalwood usually is a superb fixative, it seems to fail in this composition. According to the notes list, the base has been bolstered up with frankincense. However, apart from a faint lemony-balsamic whiff I cannot detect any of its typical resinous and coniferous undertone, much to my disappointment. I would have liked a more pronounced frankincense presence. Thereby a lovely homage to the region's Byzantine heritage could have been embodied, representing a more consistent execution of 'terroir' in my opinion.

I sampled a couple of other Richard Lüscher Britos scents in EdP concentration and found diffusion impeccable and volume moderate. Hence, I think it possible that the rather flat and premature ending of 38°N 16°E may be owed to the EdT concentration at hand.