Baghari 1950Eau de Toilette

Baghari (Eau de Toilette) by Robert Piguet
Baghari (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Robert Piguet for women and was released in 1950. The scent is floral. The production was apparently discontinued.

Francis Fabron

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 10.05.2017.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume Baghari (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet, which differs in concentration.

A Perfume of Its Era
I have become very interested in the house of Piguet over the last year or so, and I have acquired several EdP's from the house's contemporary collection of Fracas, Alameda, and Calypso. I must say I have not been disappointed in any of them. The next two I would like to try that are readily available are Visa and Baghari. However, I have been interested to know how these contemporary formulations compare to the vintages, too, so whence I had the chance to purchase a decant of Baghari EdC circa very early 1960s, I took a leap of faith and ordered it. This review is for that vintage EdC.

Firstly, I wished to mention that I think M. Guichard, the perfumer behind the 2006 Baghari EdP formulation, is spot on in his recreation of Baghari according to the notes listed for it on Fragrantica because the vintage EdC is very much like the listed notes for the 2006 EdP, so bravo M. Guichard!

My vintage EdC decant opened with delightfully bright and sparkling, albeit very fleeting, aldehydes that truly took me by surprise given the age of the EdC. Sadly, they settled down much too quickly. Then musk, rose, and jasmine entered arms entwined like the Three Graces. At this point the EdC quickly began to transition into a skin scent. I could not detect neither vanilla nor amber, though, and if there were any other notes present, I was unable to discern them. An hour into the wearing, my EdC could still be detected albeit very faintly. Initial projection and sillage were quite good. Longevity was very poor, but I have no doubt this is due at least in part to the age of this EdC.

Overall, this EdC smells "like an EdC" in that it has that characteristic smell of many EdC's I recall from the 1960s. This is likely due to the low concentration of perfume oils. Compared to an EdP or extrait, those EdC's of yesteryear smelt, and I hope my bluntness here will be forgiven, cheap. However, in my imagination, if the perfume oils's concentration could be amped up, this would be a lovely, feminine fragrance very typical "of its time." It would have accompanied women's fashions of the day the way white gloves accompanied a pretty hat.

If you run across the vintage EdC or any other concentration, it would be worth trying it if for no other reason than the development of your knowledge of perfume history. My guess is that the contemporary Baghari EdP is very nice indeed.

by MonsieurMont
by MonsieurMont

Popular Robert Piguet

Bois Noir by Robert Piguet Bandit (1944) (Parfum) by Robert Piguet Casbah by Robert Piguet L'Insomnuit by Robert Piguet Oud Divin by Robert Piguet Calypso (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Bandit (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Fracas (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet V / Visa (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Oud by Robert Piguet Pacific Collection - Alameda by Robert Piguet Futur (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Baghari (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Rose Perfection by Robert Piguet Oud Délice by Robert Piguet Cravache (Eau de Toilette) by Robert Piguet Bois Bleu by Robert Piguet Knightsbridge (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Chaí by Robert Piguet Douglas Hannant (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet