Fracas (1948)Eau de Parfum

Fracas (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet

Fracas (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Robert Piguet for women and was released in 1948. The scent is floral-sweet. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Green notes, Hyacinth, Mandarin
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Geranium, Iris, Jasmine, Coriander, Lily-of-the-valley, Narcissus, Orange blossom, Osmanthus, Peach, Tuberose, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesOrris root, Moss, Musk, Sandalwood, Tolu balm, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 01.08.2020.

Smells like Teen Spirit
The documentary 'Montage of Heck' about the musician Kurt Cobain, who died in 1994, drew my attention to this fragrance. In a scene in the bathroom of her former Los Angeles apartment, Courtney Love is spraying the perfume on herself, you can see the black bottle. Since I'm only recently more interested in fragrances, I couldn't tell exactly which perfume it is.
After a short research and interviews Courtney Love gave to the blog 'into the gloss' among others, it was clear that it is 'Fracas' by Robert Piguet. Her signature fragrance. In addition, she claimed to have worn 'Quelques Fleurs by Houbigant' often in those days with Kurt, and therefore could not wear it anymore. Should be similar with Fracas but good. My personal opinion about Courtney Love is a different matter.
Since I come from the village and the next Douglas doesn't carry this fragrance, I went to Stuttgart to a small perfume shop. The saleswoman said "women with dark hair and light skin often wear this fragrance". What does that say now? All right.
I liked the smell right away. It was something new and different for me. I smelled again and again while strolling through the city centre. After 4 months and thinking about it for a long time, I ordered the fragrance. Currently I wear it also quite gladly.
Kurt Cobain smelled this fragrance almost every day. Because of the strong silage he probably knew when Courtney came home or was nearby. I think he also liked to put something in his clothes. I can imagine the mixture of the scent, a glowing Malboro Gold and red lipstick on her very well. You can see the bottle in a bathroom cabinet in a picture from their former apartment in Los Angeles that they left 'littered'
Serenissima
"Restlessness, please!" A very special performance!
The fragrances of this brand demand attention: everything that bears the name Robert Piguet cannot be handled "en passant". They demand "to get involved with them", sometimes even a discussion, a small scramble for dominance.
These creations, my friends in fragrance, don't take prisoners! No, they roll over with power and beauty and leave behind a two-class society: one part is served and withdraws; the other is helplessly at the mercy of these ruthless egomaniacs.

Even "Fracas" makes no difference. The name of the fragrance alone shows that you can't expect a quiet step here: it causes anxiety, but it's equally violent.
The community of the white-flowered herons is not of bad parents already; even if they usually wake up only with the dusk, they still power off!
Tuberose is the leader of the society of white flowered skunks here; it does not allow any other aromas to apply next to it: without it nothing is possible!
Hyacinth, otherwise also not exactly reserved, plays only a small role here. It may accompany a hint of citrus freshness through mandarin and bergamot; it is also very good in the leaf green that surrounds it: a fragrance prelude that plays more or less only a minor role.
Tuberose marches ahead, swings the sceptre and doesn't show any consideration: sensitive noses stay away better!
In their turbulent wake, the little stinkers swim along, who can already make life difficult for many as solitary scents: Iris, as always in powdery slenderness; jasmine, lily of the valley and also the violet - a beautiful spot of colour - follow.
Powerfully they defend their places in the flower order; they do this less ladylike, but very successfully: the fragrance flow becomes almost creamy, like densely woven.
The carnation flashes briefly, spicy she talks to coriander; they are already playing in another league.
The less robust scents orange blossom, osmanthus and also the fruity peach look over; but are necessary ingredients for the Gesamtkunstwerk.
Everything around the tuberose princess becomes smooth and full-bodied smelling to one unit.
This white, mighty rolling flower roller now also needs a counterpart: a strong earth bond!
A dark, moist moss note combines with vetiver and both pave the way for the woody and balmy companions of the base note.
"Fracas" are not trimmed so the wings, but the roar of the white power hum ebbs a bit; it adapts, but never completely subordinates itself!

Fracas" mixes up its surroundings tremendously; the wearer doesn't go unnoticed and won't be forgotten so quickly. The scent she leaves behind is quite powerful.
Here one finds the opulence of the post-war period in perfection. To achieve this, Robert Piguet had an excellent command: quite contrary to the usual notion of a solid Swiss banker's son.
It was not without reason that so many Paris fashion designers worked for him before they threw their own names into this illustrious dazzling world: Christian Dior, Hubert de Givenchi and Pierre Balmain were just a few of them.

As a child of his time, special opportunities are needed today to carry "Fracas" with the necessary devotion: Madame, like all divas, demands full attention!
Her beauty wants to shine and will never do this quietly from the background: "Fracas" wants to attract attention!
So let's let the lady have her way!
An impression of expression
If there is a scent that is a lesson in "expression", then "Fracas" doubtless belongs to it.
Originally created in 1948 by Germaine Cellier, a "base" fragrance for a new collection of Robert Piquet's Haute Coutoure. Then they disappeared for a long time and were re-released in the 1980s... the "bases" (pre-composed scent chords) were no longer available in their original form, but approached the original formula very well. So much for the history of fragrance.
The fragrance as such is not easy to describe. You don't get far with recipes like, "Take... a squeeze of A and mix it with so and so much B and C..." Formula mixed, let mature for 4 weeks, fragrance ready and bottled... Nope, it's not like that.
It is a sophisticated fragrance concept, which would not come about without "noses", which have a lot of expert knowledge as well as a large portion of feeling and imagination.
It's not just sweet-floral. It is, too, but there's a lot more behind it.
Fruity? O Yes, well dosed, no "stroking peach", rather the inside of the flesh with slightly bitter accents.
Spicy? That too! No conglomeration of as many strong spices as possible, but Koreander as I-point in a 3 star "dish".
And green. It shimmers through like sunrays flooding the leaves of a tree, shimmering from the wind moving them.
Woody? This too. "Forget the trees with their distinctive bark, they give a garden the right expression"....
Powdery? Anything like that. Iris root powdery. No trace of pink cotton ball powdery, no theatre make-up or baby butt powder. It's mature and "grown up"...
And the abundance of flowers is not a "Je-mehr-indrin-desto-besser-project", not really striking by its shrill urgency.
The latter is characterized by the skilful combination of on the one hand the "poison nectar of seduction", tuberose with "innocent" lily of the valley, "spring fresh" narcissus and violet, "glowing" rose......
All in all, "Fracas" is a fragrance, so diverse that I cannot assign it to a fixed "family of fragrances", it is the expression of itself

Isabelle1
Horror that turned later into love
With my chemistry this is horror, it doesn't work with me at all, I have asked the opinion of two males and they didn't like it at all on my skin....pfft i can't stand the smell on me, maybe it is just "my chemistry" and it is good for others, lucky I only could find a decant of 5

A week later

I don't get it, sprayed it again after reading once again all the reviews and I have to say now I even like it, not love but yes I do like it now, I wonder what kind of chemistry I have????

Update off today

After an hour I started to love it now 4 hours down I like it so much that I just ordered a bottle of fracas, it really smells so good on me now. Must have something to do with my chemistry, last week I felt not so good health wise, maybe that was the reason

DorothyGrace
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't
The first year I planted tuberose it flowered albeit very late in the year however in subsequent years the conditions have been too cool to bring the plants out of dormancy at the right time. I had only a few flower heads per plant but they were enough to fill the leanto with a heavey sweet scent.

I can't say I recognise the tuberose flower in Fracas and am reminded more of the heavy scent of gardenia and frangipani absolutes. Tuberose absolute is on my list as a future purchase but it is jockying for position with quite a few others so has to wait its turn.

Some days Fracas works on me and some days it doesn't so it is a perfume I wear around the house where if it decides to become a big old stinker I can throw the clothes into the washing machine and me into the shower. Some days it radiates a beautiful creamy fruity honeyed floral with a strong resemblance to cream teas with apricot jam. Some days it is a Plasticine monster.

I find the same with Madonna Truth or dare actually; some days it is a sweet, melted white chocolate and other days it turns very, very sour indeed.

But I digress.

Smelling around the spray on the bottle there is a heavy smell of white floral a bit like a mix of gardenia and frangipani absolutes and stale old Plasticine which henceforth I will call tuberose (until I know better). Lightly spraying I get some cool green spicey notes, orange blossom, peach, and spring flowers that fade into the background as a rich bouquet that starts bright with jasmine and then thickens with a dense tuberose takes over. During the wear osmanthus periodically radiates strongly for a quarter of an hour or so with a peppery spice (maybe corriander).

I never really get a base note dry down (if I have worn it overnight the next morning the heavy floral middle is still dominating). All in all I don't get any mossy, woody notes so it remains a rather cool smell on me with some vague muskiness.

One of the main things I like about Fracas is that it is never the same perfume; from day to day; from morning to night. Linear perfumes annoy the bejabbers out of me. Fracas is concentrated, leaves a trail and projects so that one short spray onto the body will leave an entire room fragranced.

My bottle is oblong black glass with a square black label outlined in pink/lavender and the writing 'fracas by Robert Piguet made in France' (white writing on black), There does not seem to be a batch code anywhere so the best I can say is that I have owned it for aproximately 3 to 4 years.

Tuberose Stink Bomb
If you adore tuberose, you'll go bananas for FRACAS. But if, like me, you find it vulgar and repellent, run the other way!

Behold: The Blonde Diva
Fracas was created in 1948 by Germaine Cellier, one of the few female noses working in the male-dominated field of post WWII perfumery. To my mind, Cellier was a legitimate niche perfumer long before the term was even coined, in the sense that her best work (Bandit, Fracas, Vent Vert) appeals to a very specific customer as opposed to courting a more mainstream audience. I'm not surprised that Edie Sedgwick, Madonna, Martha Stewart and Morgan Fairchild are devotees of Fracas given that this fragrance is about as charimatic and Diva-esque as perfume gets.

Although Fracas is often referred to as the gold standard in tuberose perfumes, it is actually not an accurate representation of the flower's natural scent. For that, tuberose fans should look to Ropion's Carnal Flower and its brilliant realism. Instead, Fracas is more of a larger than life, fantasized version of the tuberose flower that was inspired by a stunning blonde of Cellier's acquaintance, Edwige Feuillere.

There is no point listing the notes of this classic, because Fracas is so much more than the sum of its parts, and to quantify it takes away some of the mystery, at least for me. Buttery, creamy, rich, opulent ... Fracas is all those things, and it is such an in-your-face dose of female sexuality that it inevitably inspires some hatred as well as devotion, as all great art tends to do. Fracas is justifiably cherished and revered, despite having been reformulated. Happily, it is one of the lucky few classic perfumes to survive an overhaul unscathed.

As far as the practicalities are concerned, Fracas has mammoth sillage and superb longevity. The only reason I haven't rated it higher is because I struggle to find occasions appropriate/special enough to wear it. Much like a cocktail dress, Fracas is not for workplace wear, unless you aren't afraid of being reported by perfumephobes or bent over a desk by a smitten coworker. ;)

jtd
despite appearances, it's often the femme who calls the shots
I don’t believe in soliflors.

Of all the floral notes in perfumery, tuberose is the one that to my nose smells the least like its eponym. Soliflor perfumes don’t convincingly imitate flowers. The art of perfumery relies on chemistry to deliver an olfactory product. Plants, through biology and evolution, have created complex metabolic systems that use scents to connect plant and animal in intricate symbiotic relationships. In terms of implicit purpose and function, perfumery and flowers have nothing in common.
And not to be too dogmatic, but chasing the representational form is generally less effective in perfumery than in many of the other arts. Photorealism has a solid place in the visual arts, yet even there representation is elusive.

That said, Fracas works for me in three ways. 1) The ‘tuberose’ note’s distance from actual likeness makes it seem like any other aromachemical, making Fracas seem less like a specific flower and more like all other perfume. 2) Fracas successfully suggests the scent of tuberose. It finds the flower’s defining features, modulates them and creates a notion of a flower, not an image of a flower. 3) Fracas doesn’t pursue a flower from top notes to drydown. It starts with the sharper attributes of a flower, but winds up with a scent that makes me feel as if I’ve been slapped with a fresh loaf of sourdough bread.

Still I find Fracas appealing. It is overpowering, beautiful but not pretty, “chemical” in a way that many actual botanicals are, and distinct even from other ‘tuberoses.’ Also the whole femme gender thing, especially from Germaine Cellier, is brilliant, and as a homo, I approve.

I don’t own any other soliflors, with the possible exception of Guerlain’s Nahema, which is a different discussion. Having Fracas is all I need.

Creamy tuberose
When I first encountered Fracas, I was surprised, becaused I excepted I won't like it at all because of the tuberose (when it happened, I didn't like tuberose, because of Do Son, I thought every tuberose smell like that :)).
Much to my astonishment - I liked it.

It was so amazing, creamy and fresh somehow. Loud, but
refined, mature and young in same time.

And the more I wear it, the more I like it, now I am love with it!

In my opinion Fracas can easily worn by every women from age 16-90!

An Angel with an Icepick;
Fracas is an Angel with a Icepick, never read a Book by it's cover no matter what note nor how Angelic
A face might be, Everything has an Dual side to them.

Fracas opens with Pure White Tuberose gives an Air of
Insular Ambiguity and Clinical Elegance like a Cool Hitchcockian Blonde Innocent from the inside but Deadly luring the Male Species to their Unfornatate Doom, As Fracas dries Peach comes steeping though
puling the scent to a new direction of inhibited
and primal animalistic Intinct Like the newly plucked
Fruit from the Garden of Eden by the Ingenue Eve Adds the sin of Fracas, Angel turned into a Devil,

The Drydown has a measure of powderness due the presence of Violet adds the Girlish Feminity and
Iris for Innocence The Coriander note Gives Fracas a little Kick with it's Spice I also detect Raspberriess sweet with tartness, Sandalwood brings warmness and Amber for it's reasious Sweetness,

Fracas has a versativity to her Nature One Minute she can be Sweet Goody twoshoes kittish and Innocent Then a Dominatrix Don't
with me Attitude The Next.

LexaLexa 4 years ago
5.5
Tuberose,but what a tuberose!!!! My head didn't stop hurting for 2 days! The flower here is a killer.Approach with care!
DorothyGraceDorothyGrace 5 years ago
Beautiful dry, green,hyacinth,peach, tuberose and lots of violet. Quite lovely and nothing like Truth or Dare on me (which I love also).

Immer diese Feinstaub Terroristen .....Fracas: dt Aufruhr, Tumult  besser hätte der Flakon nicht passen können. Wer hätte gedacht dass es hier noch politisch wird.
by ElenaN
by Denoula
by Sherapop
by Sherapop

Popular Robert Piguet

Bois Noir by Robert Piguet Bandit (1944) (Parfum) by Robert Piguet Casbah by Robert Piguet L'Insomnuit by Robert Piguet Oud Divin by Robert Piguet Calypso (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Bandit (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet V / Visa (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Pacific Collection - Alameda by Robert Piguet Oud by Robert Piguet Futur (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Baghari (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Rose Perfection by Robert Piguet Knightsbridge (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Oud Délice by Robert Piguet Cravache (Eau de Toilette) by Robert Piguet Bois Bleu by Robert Piguet Douglas Hannant (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Chaí by Robert Piguet Notes by Robert Piguet