Fracas (1948)Eau de Parfum

Fracas (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet
Compare Prices
Fracas (Eau de Parfum) (Robert Piguet)
Fracas (Eau de Parfum) (Robert Piguet)
Fracas (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Robert Piguet for women and was released in 1948. The scent is flowery-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Green notes, Hyacinth, Mandarin
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Geranium, Iris, Jasmine, Coriander, Lily-of-the-valley, Narcissus, Orange blossom, Osmanthus, Peach, Tuberose, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesOrris root, Moss, Musk, Sandalwood, Tolu balsam, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 14.06.2017

Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 9.0/10
Horror that turned later into love
With my chemistry this is horror, it doesn't work with me at all, I have asked the opinion of two males and they didn't like it at all on my skin....pfft i can't stand the smell on me, maybe it is just "my chemistry" and it is good for others, lucky I only could find a decant of 5

A week later

I don't get it, sprayed it again after reading once again all the reviews and I have to say now I even like it, not love but yes I do like it now, I wonder what kind of chemistry I have????

Update off today

After an hour I started to love it now 4 hours down I like it so much that I just ordered a bottle of fracas, it really smells so good on me now. Must have something to do with my chemistry, last week I felt not so good health wise, maybe that was the reason
Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 9.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't
The first year I planted tuberose it flowered albeit very late in the year however in subsequent years the conditions have been too cool to bring the plants out of dormancy at the right time. I had only a few flower heads per plant but they were enough to fill the leanto with a heavey sweet scent.

I can't say I recognise the tuberose flower in Fracas and am reminded more of the heavy scent of gardenia and frangipani absolutes. Tuberose absolute is on my list as a future purchase but it is jockying for position with quite a few others so has to wait its turn.

Some days Fracas works on me and some days it doesn't so it is a perfume I wear around the house where if it decides to become a big old stinker I can throw the clothes into the washing machine and me into the shower. Some days it radiates a beautiful creamy fruity honeyed floral with a strong resemblance to cream teas with apricot jam. Some days it is a Plasticine monster.

I find the same with Madonna Truth or dare actually; some days it is a sweet, melted white chocolate and other days it turns very, very sour indeed.

But I digress.

Smelling around the spray on the bottle there is a heavy smell of white floral a bit like a mix of gardenia and frangipani absolutes and stale old Plasticine which henceforth I will call tuberose (until I know better). Lightly spraying I get some cool green spicey notes, orange blossom, peach, and spring flowers that fade into the background as a rich bouquet that starts bright with jasmine and then thickens with a dense tuberose takes over. During the wear osmanthus periodically radiates strongly for a quarter of an hour or so with a peppery spice (maybe corriander).

I never really get a base note dry down (if I have worn it overnight the next morning the heavy floral middle is still dominating). All in all I don't get any mossy, woody notes so it remains a rather cool smell on me with some vague muskiness.

One of the main things I like about Fracas is that it is never the same perfume; from day to day; from morning to night. Linear perfumes annoy the bejabbers out of me. Fracas is concentrated, leaves a trail and projects so that one short spray onto the body will leave an entire room fragranced.

My bottle is oblong black glass with a square black label outlined in pink/lavender and the writing 'fracas by Robert Piguet made in France' (white writing on black), There does not seem to be a batch code anywhere so the best I can say is that I have owned it for aproximately 3 to 4 years.
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 1.0/10
Tuberose Stink Bomb
If you adore tuberose, you'll go bananas for FRACAS. But if, like me, you find it vulgar and repellent, run the other way!
Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Behold: The Blonde Diva
Fracas was created in 1948 by Germaine Cellier, one of the few female noses working in the male-dominated field of post WWII perfumery. To my mind, Cellier was a legitimate niche perfumer long before the term was even coined, in the sense that her best work (Bandit, Fracas, Vent Vert) appeals to a very specific customer as opposed to courting a more mainstream audience. I'm not surprised that Edie Sedgwick, Madonna, Martha Stewart and Morgan Fairchild are devotees of Fracas given that this fragrance is about as charimatic and Diva-esque as perfume gets.

Although Fracas is often referred to as the gold standard in tuberose perfumes, it is actually not an accurate representation of the flower's natural scent. For that, tuberose fans should look to Ropion's Carnal Flower and its brilliant realism. Instead, Fracas is more of a larger than life, fantasized version of the tuberose flower that was inspired by a stunning blonde of Cellier's acquaintance, Edwige Feuillere.

There is no point listing the notes of this classic, because Fracas is so much more than the sum of its parts, and to quantify it takes away some of the mystery, at least for me. Buttery, creamy, rich, opulent ... Fracas is all those things, and it is such an in-your-face dose of female sexuality that it inevitably inspires some hatred as well as devotion, as all great art tends to do. Fracas is justifiably cherished and revered, despite having been reformulated. Happily, it is one of the lucky few classic perfumes to survive an overhaul unscathed.

As far as the practicalities are concerned, Fracas has mammoth sillage and superb longevity. The only reason I haven't rated it higher is because I struggle to find occasions appropriate/special enough to wear it. Much like a cocktail dress, Fracas is not for workplace wear, unless you aren't afraid of being reported by perfumephobes or bent over a desk by a smitten coworker. ;)
jtd
despite appearances, it's often the femme who calls the shots
I don’t believe in soliflors.

Of all the floral notes in perfumery, tuberose is the one that to my nose smells the least like its eponym. Soliflor perfumes don’t convincingly imitate flowers. The art of perfumery relies on chemistry to deliver an olfactory product. Plants, through biology and evolution, have created complex metabolic systems that use scents to connect plant and animal in intricate symbiotic relationships. In terms of implicit purpose and function, perfumery and flowers have nothing in common.
And not to be too dogmatic, but chasing the representational form is generally less effective in perfumery than in many of the other arts. Photorealism has a solid place in the visual arts, yet even there representation is elusive.

That said, Fracas works for me in three ways. 1) The ‘tuberose’ note’s distance from actual likeness makes it seem like any other aromachemical, making Fracas seem less like a specific flower and more like all other perfume. 2) Fracas successfully suggests the scent of tuberose. It finds the flower’s defining features, modulates them and creates a notion of a flower, not an image of a flower. 3) Fracas doesn’t pursue a flower from top notes to drydown. It starts with the sharper attributes of a flower, but winds up with a scent that makes me feel as if I’ve been slapped with a fresh loaf of sourdough bread.

Still I find Fracas appealing. It is overpowering, beautiful but not pretty, “chemical” in a way that many actual botanicals are, and distinct even from other ‘tuberoses.’ Also the whole femme gender thing, especially from Germaine Cellier, is brilliant, and as a homo, I approve.

I don’t own any other soliflors, with the possible exception of Guerlain’s Nahema, which is a different discussion. Having Fracas is all I need.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 10.0/10
Creamy tuberose
When I first encountered Fracas, I was surprised, becaused I excepted I won't like it at all because of the tuberose (when it happened, I didn't like tuberose, because of Do Son, I thought every tuberose smell like that :)).
Much to my astonishment - I liked it.

It was so amazing, creamy and fresh somehow. Loud, but
refined, mature and young in same time.

And the more I wear it, the more I like it, now I am love with it!

In my opinion Fracas can easily worn by every women from age 16-90!
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 9.0/10
An Angel with an Icepick;
Fracas is an Angel with a Icepick, never read a Book by it's cover no matter what note nor how Angelic
A face might be, Everything has an Dual side to them.

Fracas opens with Pure White Tuberose gives an Air of
Insular Ambiguity and Clinical Elegance like a Cool Hitchcockian Blonde Innocent from the inside but Deadly luring the Male Species to their Unfornatate Doom, As Fracas dries Peach comes steeping though
puling the scent to a new direction of inhibited
and primal animalistic Intinct Like the newly plucked
Fruit from the Garden of Eden by the Ingenue Eve Adds the sin of Fracas, Angel turned into a Devil,

The Drydown has a measure of powderness due the presence of Violet adds the Girlish Feminity and
Iris for Innocence The Coriander note Gives Fracas a little Kick with it's Spice I also detect Raspberriess sweet with tartness, Sandalwood brings warmness and Amber for it's reasious Sweetness,

Fracas has a versativity to her Nature One Minute she can be Sweet Goody twoshoes kittish and Innocent Then a Dominatrix Don't
with me Attitude The Next.
Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
Classic, buttery tuberose
This is most likely the most popular niche fragrance in the world. Prior to testing Fracas, I had read so many rave reviews so my expectations were high, very high.

I'm certainly not disappointed. Fracas is every floral lover's dream. Rich, heady white florals on a creamy and woodsy base.

Don't think pretty and reserved, think bold and seductive. Fracas is an interesting combination of buttery tuberose and jasmine with subtle hints of spiciness, (possibly due to the coriander, geranium and amber) and a refreshing green-like quality.

This fragrance is powerful and a definite head-turner. Despite being produced in the late 40's, I find Fracas quite modern and certainly appealing.

The lasting strength is beyond wonderful and the sillage equally as strong. However, if over-applied this fragrance could be a little overwhelming.

Fracas becomes particularly powdery in the drydown which doesn't bother me in the slightest. Its delicately powdery quality is very soothing and feminine on the skin.

This is one fragrance that I urge other floral obsessed people, like myself to try. It's hard not to love this very unique and beautiful scent.
Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
soapy sophistication
Fracas is a very well-made white floral, in which tuberose, carnation, and orange blossom dominate. I get a hint of spearmint and sweet bubblegum too, interestingly.
Although it has the reputation of being a classic femme fatale scent, I get a totally different vibe from it. To me, it is a fragrance that says "respect me- I'm a lady".
Scent 9.0/10
Mother loves!
Too much Tuberose! I also get a lot of peach with a heavy Musk base! It is a skin scent on me, but does not last long enough!

Interesting winter floral.. hmm

Nice, but not for me!
Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Tap into your Inner Diva!
FRACAS is, to me, the queen of the diva-worthy perfumes. Unapologetic and insistent, even haughty, but with every right in the world, for she is a beauty indeed. This lush, seductive tuberose composition has extraordinary longevity and diva-worthy sillage. Nothing really compares to FRACAS. Well, except maybe MAHORA, the last great Guerlain perfume, IMNSHO, not coincidentally launched in Y2K, and now out of production, in perfect conformity with numerous other managerial blunders that have characterized and indeed caused the once-illustrious house's tragic Fall from glory. But I digress...

I find FRACAS simply exquisite and peerless among perfumes still in production—at least the ones familiar to me. This is a bona fide classic which retains and will retain its integrity (I have been assured of this by the surprisingly accessible management chez Robert Piguet).

So why, exactly, is this composition so good? My best guess is that FRACAS was created by a perfumer given the freedom to work unfettered by marketing data. It's not just the use of high-quality and exquisite materials, but the way in which they have been put together. It's easy to lose sight of this once important aspect of perfumery in a world in which niche launches proliferate like rabbits, many with top-notch notes, but no real inspiration behind them. I imagine the brainstorming that goes on at some of these houses, leading to composition by committee: “Let's make a fig perfume, and an oud, and we need a coffee, too.” The list goes on and on....

The greatness of FRACAS inheres in its coherence and complex synthetic unity, which most contemporary launches lack, having been hacked together rather haphazardly under pressure to put out as many new perfumes as quickly as possible, instead of taking the time needed to incubate and nurture a genuine work of art.

In the end, to wear FRACAS successfully, you must tap into your inner diva. The wearer must conquer the perfume through her own self-confidence and self-presentation, thus completing the work through contributing directly to its ability to cast a tantalizing spell.

Lexa 7 months ago
Tuberose,but what a tuberose!!!! My head didn't stop hurting for 2 days! The flower here is a killer.Approach with care!+1
DorothyGrace 22 months ago
Beautiful dry, green,hyacinth,peach, tuberose and lots of violet. Quite lovely and nothing like Truth or Dare on me (which I love also).
Bottle 7.0
Sillage 9.0
Longevity 9.0
Scent 8.0

Popular Robert Piguet

Fracas (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Bandit (1944) by Robert Piguet Visa (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Nouvelle Collection - Casbah by Robert Piguet Calypso (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Nouvelle Collection - Oud by Robert Piguet Nouvelle Collection - Bois Noir by Robert Piguet Baghari (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Futur (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Cravache (Eau de Toilette) by Robert Piguet Nouvelle Collection - Mademoiselle Piguet by Robert Piguet Douglas Hannant by Robert Piguet Pacific Collection - Alameda by Robert Piguet Pacific Collection - Bois Bleu by Robert Piguet Nouvelle Collection - Notes by Robert Piguet Oud Délice by Robert Piguet Pacific Collection - Chaí by Robert Piguet Oud Divin by Robert Piguet Pacific Collection - Petit Fracas by Robert Piguet Pacific Collection - Rose Perfection by Robert Piguet