Nouvelle Collection - Oud (2012)

Nouvelle Collection - Oud by Robert Piguet

Nouvelle Collection - Oud is a popular perfume by Robert Piguet for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesSaffron
Heart Notes Heart NotesFir balsam, Myrrh, Styrax
Base Notes Base NotesGaiac wood, Oud, Patchouli

Submitted by Profumo, last update on 13.08.2019

9.0 10.0 9.0/10

Oud alert - Shields high
All of us know her. The fragrances that are worn on purpose. Sure, I can hear the crowd roaring. That's why we bought them. But be careful. That wasn't my intention.
Actually I meant the large number of morning scents, falling asleep scents, good mood scents etc.
So scents that fulfill a purpose. I have one like that. And it fulfills a very special purpose.

Oud by Robert Piguet, apart from being a really beautiful scent, is my shield. Sure, the crowd's yelling, it's oud! Well, undoubtedly. But in an incredibly
beautiful variant. He's strong. He's loud. He creates reactions. But he's not repulsive. It's just reassuring to have him around.

He has a linear fragrance, which makes the decision to judge him easier. It has woody elements reminiscent of fir forests. In my opinion, these only play a small supporting role. A non-faculty, maximum light medical Oud plays the supporting role and provides also for a slightly sweet oriental touch. the durability is unbelievable, the Sillage strong. the bottle is mentioned at the edge is unbelievably ugly and cheaply made. the spray head, however, is excellent.

What kind of conclusion do we draw from this?
Fragrances fulfill purposes and satisfy needs. Nothing new so far. But Oud by Robert Piguet has given me a completely different view on fragrances and I am happy about that.
It is always a pleasure to wear it. Preferably with a full grin and quietly whispering to me:" Attention, now I come "!
Your Jakobolino
7.0 9.0 10.0 7.0/10

Michl49
Masterly dull mixture with cow stall note
I am a nature lover and enthusiastic hiker. Very often scramble around in the Black Forest. Now I do a tour with Robert Piguets Oud fragrance:

Reduced to dwarf size, I roam through the deepest undergrowth in the dark in drizzle. Where ancient pine needles and mouldy leaves merge into the damp soil, I look for my path through fungus and moss. In front of me and behind me scurry isopods and centipedes. Down here in this dull soil humidity you can smell almost nothing of the fragrant green note of fresh fir needles. Suddenly the deep undergrowth opens, a lonely old Black Forest farm rests on a clearing. Through its open stable windows, a warm cowshed smell wafts into the humidity all around.

In the fragrance description "Tannenbalsam" is highlighted. But in this forest scent I miss a balsamic flattery like I feel in another forest scent, "He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood" by Dsquared. I'd rather smell it.

I know the perfume is highly rated here. My opinion is a minority opinion.

Now I'm in a rating dilemma. The fragrance is certainly a complex masterpiece, but I don't want to wear it. For the composition I would give 9, according to my personal taste 5. Tastes are not to be objectified. Some love spaetzle, others dumplings and third fries. Who's right?

The durability is almost unsurpassed. The Sillage is also very good.
8.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

The bottling terminator
At the end of July 1995 the bottling terminator came into my life. Although I didn't know anything about this special ability back then. On the contrary, everything began very peacefully: A dreamlike summer day was running out and three friends or acquaintances celebrated their birthdays together on Falckensteiner Strand on the Kiel Fjord in the late afternoon. The main guests were students, all of whom had been tried and tested in fetuses and dependencies. No wonder considering the relaxed university life at that time; studying in Kiel brought (except for the heating jets) in summer the so-called "SoS" semesters with it: "Beach or statistics?"

I, for example, had been eagerly visiting the said beach for weeks, because I had had the feeling of what I had achieved after handing in my last major housework before my exam. The slightly curled hair had become a little longer, brightly bleached by salt and sun. And a tan that could have competed with that of a Sicilian farm worker, which - and I didn't think that up - made my eyes shine impudently blue. Actually, my today wife didn't want to go to the party at all. That she did was one of those magic coincidences that make Parship & Co. look pretty old
To this day, I highly appreciate her for having remained loyal to me, even though the paint soon flaked off, so to speak. It would have been perfectly permissible to grumble about a pretence of false facts. But maybe it is a late revenge that she shoots me away now and then buy candidates?

These are mostly fragrances with the participation of Patchouli. And that puts us in the middle of something. In 'Nouvelle Collection - Oud' I perceive patchouli to a large extent, if not predominantly. In any case, I consider it a kind of backbone, a basic tone, which unites with its numerous facets the manifold aromas, which, moreover, seem to set different emphases on different test days.

Of course, Oud should not be neglected too much. A bit of cowshed wood from the tube and something medical directly after spraying made that immediately clear. On the second day of testing, however, I was already thinking of light-dusty, almost woody patchouli, gently seasoned - saffron fits. A third test revealed a spontaneous thought of Leukoplast-Elemi.

The progress was again somewhat more uniform. Tanne. Forest floor with needles on it. A grasp into musty-modd soil, in the beginning old-fashioned. I think Kostus is responsible for this, see 'Tellus - Eau Arborante' by Les Liquides Imaginaires. Later I smell unexpected sweetness, almost like cinnamon. From the patchouli, his own "chocolate" is winking at me, while in the background again (or still?) a tiny idea cowshed rumbles around, on the threshold of imagination. Close to the skin something resinous-sour is wafting, "duro-like" it could be called

Slowly the sweetness turns further in the direction of honey - fir honey, of course. And suddenly there is an intense aura over the fragrance, similar to the one floating over liquid honey. She explains why on one of the many test days I involuntarily thought of the otherwise completely irrelevant lavender(!), because it also has such a distanced and metallic appearance. So the scent reminded me of lavender without smelling of it. That's great. Company Piguet makes me despair of my nose.

In the course of the afternoon, more creamy aspects come into play. Guaiac? It would be free of H-cream. I find it rather sandy, but give up sometime, flee me rather again in my chocolate patchouli with a blob of medicine and cowshed and let it carry me into the evening.

Well. That sounds terribly confused now. In use, however, it is not at all. Even the sometimes adventurous-sounding swings seem obvious at the moment of the event, with just the right amount of variety. On top of that, with a reasonably careful dosage, the Sillage can be regarded as mediocre, so that nobody has to feel overtaxed out there.

Except for my wife. Several times I have tried to secretly slip her the scent - no chance. Always the same diagnosis, according to Malles' 'Monsieur.' another buy candidate: Cat piss! Maybe I'll try again once or twice, but I have little hope. I'll probably never call this beautiful scent my own. I gave away my 'Monsieur.' bottling with resignation...

I want to thank Terra for sharing.

(L)oud
Harsh, metallic, powerful opening of aldehydes, cloves and other spices, Iso E Super, something slightly sweet-resinous and an almost unperceivable note of synthetic oud (which basically smells like just being “created” by the juxtaposition of aldehydes and some chemical rubber-ish aromachemicals). The only “realistic” note I get is the fir balsam, which is quite powerful together with aldehydes and spices. I don’t get why they called it “Oud”, as it’s basically all about aldehydes, spices and fir balsam. After some hours (I mean 6 or 7) you get more clearly what remains of the note of synthetic oud – not that this is an added value, as it feels like: “where the hell have you been?”. Pungent, artificial, incredibly powerful (like many other new Piguet’s): a tacky, clumsy, annoying and remarkably unpleasant bomb of metallic-synthetic stuff which has not the slightest resemblance to oud – and more sadly, to Piguet’s old trademark quality. I’ll not beat a dead horse, but: horrible!

3/10

Guichard does oud
Long in the tooth. Flogging a dead horse. Stick a fork in it. Something wicked this way comes.

There are so many expressions hint at the sense of ennui/dread I feel at the thought of a new oud perfume. Niche designers are releasing two or three at a time (The Different Company, by Kilian, Francis Kurkdjian. Even Patricia de Nicolai!)  Designer and celebrity fragrances are scrambling late to the table. (Chanel Bleueoud, Madonna Truth, Dare or Oud, Dior J'Oud, Estée Lauder Youth D’Oud, Paris Hilton So Oud! So Hot!)  It would be revolting if it weren't so tired.

It was with particular angst that I saw one of my favorite perfumers, Aurélien Guichard (whom my autocorrect calls, “Brilliant Shark” when I dictate) had made the latest oud perfume. And for Robert Piguet, no less. Guichard captures the Persephone-syndrome afflicting contemporary perfumers better than most.  Part of the year trapped in Hades (Davidoff, Mugler) and half a year on free on earth (Robert Piguet.) From a company with a track record of enticing, suggestive one word titles (Bandit, Fracas, Visa, Futur) comes an uninspired monosyllabic title. Oud. Almost rhymes with turd. Expectations, low; hopes, nil.

Outcome? Surprising. Pleasantly so. To all the nichy perfumers trying to find the new compositional trampoline that will allow them to jump this shark, and for all the hacks who are simply pouring buckets of Oud Note ™ into their their stock of Flanker Base ™ come look close. Guichard did what he does best and treated oud like any other tool on his palette. That is to say, he executed classical perfumery.

I'm not sure I'll ever love Oud, as I don't particularly love oud, but christ, I appreciate this perfume.  By classical perfumery, I mean applying deliberate compositional techniques to oud in order to create a rich, perfume that demonstrates artistic principles such as proportionality, intent and aesthetics. This is what Bernard Chant did with patchouli in Aromatics Elixir and Germaine Cellier did with galbanum and isoquinilone in Bandit. What Jaques Guerlain did with vanilla.

I've read a number of reviewers who say that Oud contains next to no oud. However the fragrance was composed, Guichard enhances oud’s properties and plays to its strengths. The band-aid note isn't hidden, it's amplified and made sweaty with a heavy dose of myrrh. The odd facet I've smelled in oud wood itself, the chalky/resiny/prickly/parched quality isn't smoothed over, it’s developed. It becomes the principal characteristic of this perfume from the almost disagreeable top notes to the more settled bass notes.

Oud has a distinct, pronounced character, and fits in more with Piguet's relic perfumes than it does the new young dudes in the line like Mademoiselle Piguet and Petit Fracas, also by Guichard. There’s nothing diminutive in Oud. It has the forget-me-not quality of Baghari, but none of its charm.   Like Bandit and Fracas, it has a caged-animal quality that suggests a fragile safety. Despite an occasionally calm appearance, they aren’t tamed.  They're held captive.   It carries the same unsolvable mixed message as a person who comes on to you and then snubs you when you pursue the apparent invitation. I think Germain Cellier would have loved Guichard’s Oud.

Oud possesses another quality that often gets confused with age.  Vent Vert, Cabochard, Youth Dew.  Nahema, Poison, Lou Lou. Even Angel. These classical perfumes aren't successful due to their age. They succeed because of the deliberate approaches that technically proficient artists used to produce the new ideas that they express. They are remembered not for the fact that they are old, but because they are fucking beautiful. Oud and Guichard join the above-mentioned perfumes and perfumers in the tradition of using a formal approach to create a new idea.

(Small note.  More than most perfumes, one spray is sufficient.  Two, uncomfortable.  Three, traumatic.)

by Terra
by Somebody
by Jensemann
by Jensemann

Popular Robert Piguet

Fracas (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Bandit (1944) (Parfum) by Robert Piguet Nouvelle Collection - Bois Noir by Robert Piguet Nouvelle Collection - Casbah by Robert Piguet Nouvelle Collection - Oud by Robert Piguet V / Visa (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Calypso (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Baghari (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Cravache (Eau de Toilette) by Robert Piguet Futur (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet L'Insomnuit by Robert Piguet Bandit (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Pacific Collection - Alameda by Robert Piguet Pacific Collection - Bois Bleu by Robert Piguet Oud Divin by Robert Piguet Oud Délice by Robert Piguet Douglas Hannant by Robert Piguet Nouvelle Collection - Mademoiselle Piguet by Robert Piguet Pacific Collection - Chaí by Robert Piguet Pacific Collection - Rose Perfection by Robert Piguet