Bois Noir 2012

Bois Noir by Robert Piguet
Bois Noir is a popular perfume by Robert Piguet for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is woody-resinous. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesGaiac woodGaiac wood
CedarwoodCedarwood
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouliPatchouli
SandalwoodSandalwood
Base Notes Base NotesBalsamBalsam
Labdanum absoluteLabdanum absolute

Submitted by Profumo, last update on 24.07.2021.

A glimpse of Tolkien's Mirkwood Forest
A forest is a place of magic and danger found among several countries folklore, wherever the natural wild land is a a dense forest. It is a location beyond which humans do not normally travel and where strange things might occur. Often there will be Fairies, Elves, Dragons, Dwarfs, Giants, Gnomes, Goblins, Ogres, Trolls, Unicorns, and other mythical creatures like some perfumers and perfume addicts. In common they all developed a taste for dark, gloomy, smoky, woody places and scents. If you think you have a place among those strange beings, then you are bound to like or even love Bois Noir from François Piguet.
The opening and the heart stages are all about intensive dark woody scents. The Palo Santo (gaiac wood) stands out with its tary, smoky and tarmac notes. But there is also austere cedar, the sweet lingering scent of sandal and earthy patchouli.
The opening and heart notes don't seem to faint. On the contrary they become intensified with the strong bottom notes of resins, balsams and labdanum, tied up together by a bit of animalic musk.
This mavious accords of woods, balsams and resins, are easy to remark almost upon spraying. This dark smoky scent is truly pleasant and it is unquestionably the DNA of this perfume. After the initial storm, approaching the drydown you feel the fragrance to enter in more calm waters. The sillage becomes sort of average (but always high if compared with non woody scents), but the perfume ensures a big longevity close to ten hours with three sprays.
It's my kind of fragrance and Piguet stands in my top five niche houses due to the masterclass demonstrated when blending this type of dark smoky scents.
The nose behind this perfume is Aurelien Guichard, the "regular" perfumist of this house and, when you experience Bois Noir, gems like Casbah, Visa, and Oud Divin come to mind when you experience Bois Noir.

Let's rate this dark enchanted forest:
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Scent Opening:........10,0 (a dark storm)
Scent Drydown:.......10.0 (a fark balsamic storm)
Longevity:..................9.0 (up to 10 hours with 2 sprays)
Sillage:........................8.0 (up to 6 feet and 2 hours projection, with 2 sprays)
Uniqueness:..............9.5 (Piguet DNA only)
Wearability:...............7.5 (Spring nights + Winter + Fall nights)
Versatility:.................8.0 (at leisure by yourself, formal occasions, dining out, no clubbing, no gym, no seaside)
Compliments:...........7.5 (dark fragrances lovers will like it a lot)
Quality:.....................10.0 (quality ingredients; excellent packaging and bottle sprayer)
Presentation:............9.0 (High standard but not the best)
Price:..........................7.5 (€80,00 - 100 ml)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Overall rating: 8.73/10.0
between 7 and 8 =above average;
between 8 and 9 = recommended;
bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
Opinion:
One of the best woody, balsamic, dark and smoky fragrances I own, at a competitive pricing for a niche perfume with this quality level. if those are the features you seek, Bois Noir does the job superbly. It's far from being an "all around fragrance" and may be a wrong choice if that's what you are looking after.
Recommended?
No! Do try it before you buy it. It's just too specific.

Music: Tomaso Albinoni - "Adagio in G Minor"
Cem36
Base of john varvatos dark rebel
The top note reminds me strongly of john varvartos dark rebells base. I take a lot of leather was underlined with a little sweet. Great smell!
A Forest (The Cure)

In the village cafe the waiter told me...

(Yaha - you are in this story because I only became aware of this wonderful scent through your great commentary, best regards and thank you very much!)

...from the supposedly enchanted forest where a local girl disappeared a hundred years ago to the day and was never seen again. Since then, the villagers have avoided the extensive woods and even reported hearing her voice whispering during walks near the forest that seemed to lure her into the forest. Of course, amused by this story, I decided to get to the bottom of this village superstition. "Find her while you can!" he shouted after me with a serious face as I set off, which I acknowledged with a laugh and a gesture similar to a windshield wiper that was only visible to me
At the edge of the forest I found a broken bottle which seemed to contain some kind of strictly scented elixir, self-brewed by the local healer. No wonder, I was told that the villagers spread strange suds at the edge of the forest to prevent the supposed forest spirits from leaving their territory. Only a short time later I had the idea to turn back, but I was magically attracted by another mystical smell coming from the forest. With every step further into the undergrowth, with every touch of the low-hanging branches the scent of the strange, never before seen trees and plants enveloped me. Not overwhelming, rather tempting so that I went deeper and deeper into the dense forest, only to inhale more of this fragrance. At the same time, an inner calm spread out that I have not felt like this for a long time. I was almost surrounded by a not unpleasant dizziness and an unbelieving look at my pocket watch told me that I had been on the road for hours.

I had to make an effort not to lose sight of the real reason for my presence here. It seemed to me that deep out of the darkness a voice was whispering, but I couldn't, I didn't want to
react to it. I just wanted to enjoy this unbelievable peace - and this scent. I had already put down my rucksack with provisions and water supply miles ago. It weighed too much on my shoulders - like the worries and problems from a world that was now unreal in my thoughts, with its foul-smelling exhalations, which I still belonged to yesterday. Here, on the other hand, there was only deep inner relaxation, peace and this fragrance.

I had been lost for a long time, but that didn't matter anymore, because here I felt
safe and secure.

I lay down on the almost hypnotic but without any trace of the actually expected mustiness
i was in the middle of a fragrant forest floor, my head was resting on the protruding roots of a strangely trustworthy tree whose bark was gleaming with resin, I closed my eyes and sucked in the pile of flowers and herbs growing in the undergrowth, which perfectly blended with the prevailing scent of the trees above me. Again I heard the voice in my thoughts that seemed to call my name. But nothing in the world could disturb me now in my peace of mind or would cause me to open my eyes and release myself from the embrace of this fragrance. I smiled inwardly at the thought that I was lost in the woods because of a girl that never existed. Until today it has always been the same: for too long I have been running up a storm over trifles:

over and over and over and over and over again...

A hundred years later, in a strangely unreal-looking forest, a lumberjack found a faded skeleton, its skull resting on the roots of the mighty tree he had chosen to cut down, the bark shining from the escaping resin. The story the waiter told him down in the old village jug about the enchanted forest in which several people disappeared and were never seen again came to his mind. He was just about to return to announce his find in the village when an incredibly attractive scent that seemed to come from the depths of the forest triggered an irresistible urge in him to trace the origin of this scent...

TombbbTombbb 1 year ago
Woody, but sweet. Warm and embracing. Strong spices (or intense exotic woods). Resin. Compared to Oud by Piguet, not dark at all!
FranknSenseFranknSense 2 years ago
This woody/balsamic gem is dark and gloomy to perfection and makes me think about the Myrkviðr descriptions. Wizards must use this perfume.
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
A true dark enchanted forest! The perfumist must have been J. R. R. Tolkien. This fragrance is the real Arkenstone!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
Woody, ambery, dark, smoky, earthy, balsamic, unisex perfume! A mix of Varvatos Dark Rebel with Dark Rebels Batman & Catwoman. Recommended!
MRothMRoth 6 years ago
Cold, masculine woods, acrid resins and dry patchouli with a side of dark, rich dirt. Hints of black pepper. Does justice to its name.

by 3rdear
by Vawallpa
by XDiable
by XDiable

Popular Robert Piguet

Casbah by Robert Piguet Bandit (1944) (Parfum) by Robert Piguet Bandit (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet L'Insomnuit by Robert Piguet Oud Divin by Robert Piguet Calypso (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Fracas (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet V / Visa (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Oud by Robert Piguet Rose Perfection by Robert Piguet Futur (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Pacific Collection - Alameda by Robert Piguet Baghari (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Oud Délice by Robert Piguet Cravache (Eau de Toilette) by Robert Piguet Knightsbridge (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet Bois Bleu by Robert Piguet Bandit Suprême by Robert Piguet Notes by Robert Piguet Douglas Hannant (Eau de Parfum) by Robert Piguet