Eau de Rochas Homme (1993)Eau de Toilette

Version from 1993
Eau de Rochas Homme (1993) (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas
Bottle Design Serge Mansau

Eau de Rochas Homme (1993) (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Rochas for men and was released in 1993. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It was last marketed by Procter & Gamble / Metropolitan Cosmetics.

Gilles Romey

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Basil, Bergamot, Lime, Mandarin, Lemon, Lemon verbena
Heart Notes Heart NotesFreesia, Carnation, Jasmine, Coriander, Lily-of-the-valley, Rose, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Musk, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 02.07.2020.

Pollita
Used vacation - beautiful scent!
They exist, these used years. And I don't mean 2020. It's been a while since things have been right for us. We moved, and we got completely messed up. There wasn't much time for holidays, but we wanted to treat ourselves to something nice after all the stress. So we booked a very expensive hotel with all the frills. In the internet everything noble, elegant with extras here and extras there.

The reality was different. Behind the facade was a rip-off hotel with the typical, mostly drunk all-inclusive vacationers. All "additional offers" with which one had advertised cost extra and were connected with unpleasant restrictions. All in all: total flop!

No sooner were we there than we fled. Anything to get out of the bunker. We rented cars, tinkered with the bus around and just made the best of it. Of course, we also went to a perfumery, like on every holiday in Spain. Mr. Pollito tested here and there until I discovered this Rochas. Since the brand and bottle appealed to me and I honestly couldn't get too much out of the more modern men's fragrances, I recommended this classic to him without further ado. And then he was allowed to go with it
Eau de Rochas is a wonderful summer scent. Sparkling, fresh, slightly herbaceous but always with a certain understatement, which I like very much. Even my very dearest frequent sprayer at my side can't put me off, because this wonderfully cool freshness is absolutely never too much. I like the citric, the spicy notes as well as the pleasant wood and green tones in the background. The vetiver is well recognizable and lets the fragrance drift nicely into the green, which I like very much.

To my great surprise, we have a chypre here. And I am by no means a chypre lover, because when I was a child, I found these oakmoss based notes to be mostly simply austere. But don't panic. There's nothing strict about eau de rochas. It is wonderfully modern and for my nose it suits gentlemen of all ages. It suits the student, the businessman and goes just as well with the casual, summery look. I think it was DerDefcon who recently asked for a fragrance for high temperatures. For me it's clearly this Rochas. It only lasts for about five hours, but with a summer scent in this price range, you can't complain at all.

All in all, this messed up holiday had something good, as we discovered a very fine scent. It's worth something!
Unfortunately, I can't say for sure which version it was, which I bought at least 2-3 times more for my husband. After Fittleworth's comment I'm a bit unsure now. But I'd rather bet on the new version, because it should have been 2013.
Fittleworth
Everything used to be better!
Why, why must fragrances that once were really good and enjoyed great popularity be disfigured by reformulations?
I have not yet found an answer to this question.
Maybe it is the urge of one or the other perfumer to combine his or her own name with that of a great or at least successful fragrance?
Perhaps reformulations are also an adaptation to increasingly absurd regulations ...
Perhaps the management of this or that fragrance manufacturer believes they have to serve a fashion by adapting fragrances to a trend that elevates boring smoothness and uniformity to an art form.
Perhaps the one or other fragrance designer would like to remember ...?
Perhaps all these reasons are mixed up, and perhaps the rampant reform frenzy could be explained quite differently ...

Eau de Rocha's Homme, in its original 1993 version, was a bright, citric fragrance that exuded an enormous lucid freshness.
An omnipresent lemon, unsweet and very natural, was the leitmotif of this fragrance, opening the top note, which was wonderfully and carefully complemented by basil, taming any sweetness that might be present.
Lime, tangerine and bergamot underlay this combination of lemon and basil in a round but very reserved way A pleasant coolness, not to say coldness, which seemed like the clear water of a mountain stream, was contributed by the discreetly added aldehydes.
That was great, that was wonderful.

The heart note of the original version from 1993 was composed of a very successful interplay of floral notes, whereby carnation, jasmine and lily of the valley were combined with the still very present lemon and fresh, cool basil.

The base note grounded the fragrance skilfully with amber, but especially with oakmoss.
Vetiver and cedar were noticeable in echoes, but were still outshone by the very persistent lemon.
This tart, citric persistence was most likely due to the aldehydes, but it literally made the fragrance a perennial in every sense of the word. The endurance was enormous for a citric scent and was about 6-7 hours before the scent became skin-tight.

For reasons I cannot explain, this all-round successful, very popular fragrance was then reformulated in 2015.
Responsible for this was Giles Romey, who had already created the original version of 1993.
I would like to ask him, what reasons caused him to disfigure his own, really quite outstanding fragrance in such a way ...

In the reformulated version of 2015, the top note is composed of bergamot, lemon, lime and mandarin.
Compared to the original version of 1993, basil, lemon verbena and the aldehydes are now missing.
As a result, this top note has neither the freshness nor the persistence of the original version. The citric top note is now much sweeter, much less fresh, but above all it lacks the crystal-clear, sparkling, crystalline coolness of the older version.
It lacks the uniqueness that made the 1993 version stand out from other citrus scents.

The heart note of the reformulated fragrance is now completely different from the original version.
In the 1993 edition, floral notes combined with radiant citric notes provided depth, volume and a bright, fresh, transparent fragrance. In the reformulated version, these floral notes were simply replaced by pine and mugwort. Coriander has remained, but seems barely perceptible, and the basil that has now been added here obviously cannot hold its own against the pine.
It seems to me that the significantly weaker citric of the reformulated version is far from being able to establish the connection between the top note and the heart note as skilfully as in the original version of 1993.
The reformulated version of 2015 lacks the power, the fresh coolness, the transparency, the crystal sharpness.

Nor can this be remedied by keeping the base note the same - at least on paper. I personally find the base note also weaker, duller and more short-lived than the original version.

At this point I would like to compare the ingredients of the two versions of this fragrance once again, so that a comparison is possible:
Eau de Rochas Homme (1993)
Top note: aldehydes, basil, bergamot, lime, tangerine lemon, lemon verbena
Heart notes: freesia, carnation, jasmine, coriander, lily of the valley, rose, violet
Base notes: Amber, oakmoss, musk, vetiver, cedar

Eau de Rochas Homme (2015)
Top note: Bergamot, lemon, lime, tangerine
Heart notes: coriander, basil, pine, mugwort
Base notes: Amber, musk, oakmoss, vetiver, cedar

These changes, indeed the complete replacement of the heart note in conjunction with the consistent and unsightly pruning of the top note, mean that one has to compare two scents that are remotely similar but de facto very different.

No, the reformulated fragrance of 2015 is no longer the original fragrance of 1993!

I concede that the 2015 version bears a distant resemblance to the 1993 edition, but it is definitely not the same fragrance.
If we consider without bias how many components of the original fragrance were left out during the reformulation (aldehydes, lemon verbena, basil in the top note, freesia, carnation, jasmine, lily of the valley, rose, violet in the heart note) in order to be replaced by a few new ones (pine, mugwort, basil in the heart note), we can see that it can no longer be an identical fragrance.

I am very disappointed that the reformulated fragrance, which is only a faint shadow of its original version, is still marketed under the same name.
It's not the same scent anymore!

Unfortunately, it seems almost impossible to find the original 1993 version. So if you still have a remnant of this great fragrance, consider yourselves lucky and enjoy it.
I still own a bottle of the 1993 version, but unfortunately the content is dreadfully running out ...
Tempi passati.
Lost Fresh Food
Deja vu... I'm reading Rocha's here and I see this perfume bottle. Immediately the memory of this fragrance is so present as if it had entered my nose yesterday. Fresh, citrus, spicy. Clear like water, angular and sharp like glass, fresh and green like a herb meadow with a few spring flowers. Why the smell disappeared from my everyday life over 20 years ago is actually unforgivable. But it was right back in my memory, a clear picture of this well-balanced perfume, which can be described as classic. Even though it has a certain simplicity, the fragrance is very unique and distinctive. It's not a revolution, not a star on the shelf, but for me a clear statement. Cool and clear with summer in the heart.
I consider durability here to be relatively strong and above the average of many other citrus-fresh perfumes. Silage falls off clearly after 2 hours but not completely. If you like it classically fresh, without complex substructure and without much flowers and wood, please take it

A Beautiful Fresh Citrus Fragrance
A stunning fresh citrus fragrance that just never stops giving. From the beautiful burst of lemon and lime in the opening to the herbal floral's in the mid-notes this scent has it all.

The way the fresh citrus mixes in with the florals that lead to the woody base has you wondering why the fragrance cost is so affordable.

The projection is moderate and I get about six hours from a healthy six sprays. As it's a citrus fragrance you can be generous in it's application.

I cannot express enough how good this smells for a freshie, it smells better than scents five times it's price. Big thumbs up from me!
Not at all oldschool
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......
Mmmmmmmmm................................................................................................
These were my first reactions when I sprayed Eau de Rochas for the first time. I'm just on vacation and it's so 26 degrees and the thing came just right.

I was and still am looking for beautiful fresh scents at this time of the year and then I came across Eau de Rochas. Although he just turned 25, I didn't know him, but he sounded good and different than the scents I currently have and because he was very cheap, I ordered him blind
Funnily enough I found it one day before it was delivered at Müller here in town and of course couldn't resist testing it immediately to see what would await me.
But I was immediately positively taken and the joy for the next day grew again.

The next day he arrived and the ambience couldn't be better.
I stood in the garden, in the sun and sprayed this wonderfully fresh scent on myself, after I had unpacked the package.

It starts great citric, lime and lemon I notice immediately. Spraying as it should be.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......
What followed was a very quick transition to the herbaceous. I perceive basil for a long time, which I find very beautiful in it, paired with some flowery parts, which are only easy to guess, but everything very clean, very fresh. The citric is indeed preserved for a long time, but there is no trace of boredom, because it becomes a bit more bitter and spicy, which makes it even more interesting.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......
Yes the blindbuy was worth it, it sounds a bit mossy and I was thrilled.

The shelf life is ok and for a citric fragrance well present for 4h, then it goes on close to the skin.

Conclusion: 25 years and not a bit oldschool.
If you need something fresh and are looking for something else besides fresh fruit, you should keep your nose on it.

The bottle is also quite chic, lets the fresh scent suspect.

Carlitos01
The best lemon fragrance?
After wearing more than half of my bottle, I decided today to test my Eau de Rochas Homme.
Opening: Strong zesty Lemon-Bergamot-Lime-Verbena loveable explosion. One of the best citrusy opening I have ever experienced.
DryDown: Still a citrusy ambiance but with a strong Vetiver and Moss domination.
Magnific blending.
Average performance; Above average performance for this type of fresh fragrance.

Let us see what the maths tell us about this EDT:
Scent opening: 9.5 (my judgement)
Scent dry down: 7.5 (my judgement)
Longevity: 7.5 (average for the existing notes)
Sillage: 6.5 (same as longevity)
Uniqueness: 8.0 (Many similar fragrances although this one is superior to most of them)
Wearability: 7.0 (Mild to hot weather - Day scent)
Versatility: 7.5 (sports, office, leisure, beach, picnics, barbecues... very versatile in all day activities)
Quality: 8.5 (my judgement)
Presentation: 8.5 (nice bottle, not tacky; good sprayer)
Price: 8.0 (100 ml for € 20.00 + VAT)

Overall rating for this fragrance: 7.85/10.00
Highly recommendable for citrus scents lovers which is not my case.
2.5

Best in Lemon Class..?
I have tried various lemon flavored perfumes... But Rochas Homme is notably the best ! at least for me...

Now the perfume... You open the bottle and the freshness of lemon have surrounded you... Spray it... Oops ! That is horrible !!! It is so strong in the beginning... and I was just thinking this is familiar and very familiar...

When you pluck a thorn from Lemon Tree the same smell is the beginning... that is too strong... so ensure you don't spray a lot !

The fun begins after few minutes... the aroma settles and gives way to a herbal freshness with lemon being a strong ingredient... But the aroma is professional and very professional for an official meeting...!

You will have a standout feeling all the time... the only issue is longevity it is not lasting in my skin... projection is average to good... Sillage I should say is very poor. You leave the place and there is no trace of the aroma.

I suggest this for a meeting or could be used for a date... not for sport !

But definitely a better Citrus Aroma. Cheap and Best !

Fresh, energetic, well balanced
Eau de Rochas Pour Homme is an (apparently) simple yet well crafted citrus scent. But it's not just that...

It opens with sharp, sunny top notes of lime, bergamot and lemon verbena followed by a more subtle aromatic note of basil: it's obvious from the start that this is a fragrance for glorious spring or summer days. Yes, it's heavy on the citrus. But it is, I think, one of the better designer citrus fragrances around; and as we all know, citrus fragrances abound.

The heart in Eau de Rochas Pour Homme is a beautiful, refined blend of flowers — white for the most part. This, I find, gives the fragrance lightness and elegance. In Geoffrey Beene's Bowling Green, a strong pine needle note reinforces the citrus right from the top. Here, instead, it is much more subdued but nonetheless lifts up the floral accord in the heart, makes it more interesting and gives it depth. Nice touch.

Transitions are well marked in this fragrance but longevity is average, and we soon reach a warm woody (and, to some extent, resinous) drydown; vétiver and cedar play the main role here, assisted by fainter notes of oakmoss. I can't say that I can detect any musk, eventhough it is supposed to be there. But I don't think it's actually needed.

To summarise: Eau de Rochas Pour Homme is a classy, fresh, energetic, refined and well balanced fragrance...

Carlitos01Carlitos01 12 months ago
Zesty Lemon-Bergamot-Lime-Verbena explosion, making one of the best citrusy opening I have ever experienced. If you like citrus, go for it!
DPArtistDPArtist 23 months ago
Tested today: wow! This is a luscious lemon-zest surprise for me! But it's a whole lot more than another summer citrus scent. Timeless gem.
Syzygy73Syzygy73 2 years ago
More chypre than citrus. Oakmoss is the star in this wonderfully blended old school summer scent that nods elegantly to Chanel's Monsieur.

Tunnelgeheimnis
by Camey5000
by Ninina
by Ninina
Eau de Rochas homme
by Powershot
by Undsoweiter
Eau de Rochas homme, rechts das ältere Verpackungsdesign, der Flakon ist aber unverändert geblieben.
by Powershot
by Kouroi
by Michael
by Michael

Popular Rochas

Femme (1989) (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Macassar (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Moustache (Eau de Parfum) by Rochas Absolu by Rochas Mystère (Eau de Parfum) by Rochas Rochas Man (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Lui Rochas by Rochas Alchimie (Eau de Parfum) by Rochas Byzance (1987) (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Femme (1945) (Parfum) by Rochas Eau de Rochas (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Madame Rochas (1960) by Rochas Madame Rochas (1989) (Eau de Parfum) by Rochas Moustache (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Rochas Globe (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Eau de Rochas Fraîche by Rochas Macassar (After-Shave Lotion) by Rochas Moustache Original 1949 by Rochas Eau Sensuelle by Rochas Moustache (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas