Lumière (1984) (Eau de Parfum) by Rochas

Awesomeness
17.01.2018 - 02:11 AM
Helpful Review

Light? Meh!

I love the new Lumiere, which is 80% Gres Cabaret to me. I just had to try the original, which so many pine for. I managed to buy a part bottle of the edp -- The purple Femme-silhouetted bottle, now with orange juice. My exhilaration of this find turned into Meh! on my first test.

If the new Lumiere is 80% Gres Cabaret, then the old Lumiere is 80% Madame Rochas.

The old Lumiere opens with a classic aldehyde blast, along the lines of Madame Rochas but not as shrill. The opening gives way to a nice floral green. Pretty & long-lasting, with the Spring bulbs (hyacinths and daffodils) taking the stage, but hardly unique. It does sweeten through the wear, but I don't get the glorious woods that others report. It dries down to a soapy muck that softly lingers. The EdP wears close to the skin but for 6-8 hours.

Overall, on my skin it's very much like Madame Rochas, which is not a surprise given the shared notes. Sometimes there is a reason a fragrance is reformulated. I would have to say Lumiere was reformulated because it's not luminated. Light? Meh!

On a *brighter* note, I tested Azuree on the other arm today while testing this one. Azuree *outshines* Lumiere.

Puns intended.

Dec
2010

Latest Reviews

AwesomenessAwesomeness 4 years ago
Lumière (2000) - Rochas

Lumière (2000) gleaming light
I usually have difficulty with white florals and with over-the-top aldehydes. Based on the description & notes, this was what I was expecting out of Lumiere. Thankfully, it's not. Lumiere is all about roses & woods, and it wears like a crystalline,...

AwesomenessAwesomeness 7 years ago
Washington Square - Bond No. 9

Washington Square Not without merit
Washington Square opens with rose & geranium, and it's is a tad sweet. The opening is quite nice, and each time I try it I immediately think, "I've got to get a bottle." However, it's everything after the opening that doesn't work...