Lumière (2000) by Rochas

Awesomeness
17.01.2018 - 02:16 AM
Top Review

gleaming light

I usually have difficulty with white florals and with over-the-top aldehydes. Based on the description & notes, this was what I was expecting out of Lumiere. Thankfully, it's not. Lumiere is all about roses & woods, and it wears like a crystalline, rose woody on me.

Lumiere opens clean, smooth, almost smokey, and just a bit sweet. The floral mix is quite unusual & extremely subdued. In the heart, I get rose, iris, & violet on a predominately vanilla & tonka bean base. The woods really come out of hiding in the 2nd hour or so. Very long lasting for an EdT (6+ hour range) that continually changes and evolves over the entire wear. Lumiere is a wrist inhaler that wears close to the skin.

I think Lumiere is best on cold, wet days when it wears soft & smooth. I think of it as my Winter Solstice perfume, because it seems strangely appropriate when the days are short, the sun low in the sky, and light takes on an ephemeral character. If I lived in Scandinavia, I would wear it at night during the Summer Solstice because Lumiere has that quality of light.

Lumiere also shares qualities with Gres Cabaret. Not only do Lumiere & Cabaret share notes, they share the same nose - Michel Almairac. These two perfumes are definitely smell-alikes, not the same, but similar rose woody scents with crystalline characteristics.

The new Lumiere is exactly that - gleaming light. I own the original, yes I do, but love this one new more!

Oct
2010

Latest Reviews

AwesomenessAwesomeness 4 years ago
Lumière (1984) (Eau de Parfum) - Rochas

Lumière (1984) (Eau de Parfum) Light? Meh!
I love the new Lumiere, which is 80% Gres Cabaret to me. I just had to try the original, which so many pine for. I managed to buy a part bottle of the edp -- The purple Femme-silhouetted bottle, now with orange juice. My exhilaration of this find turned...

AwesomenessAwesomeness 7 years ago
Washington Square - Bond No. 9

Washington Square Not without merit
Washington Square opens with rose & geranium, and it's is a tad sweet. The opening is quite nice, and each time I try it I immediately think, "I've got to get a bottle." However, it's everything after the opening that doesn't work...