Rochas Man 1999Eau de Toilette

Rochas Man (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas
Bottle Design Franzrudolf Lehnert, Michael Forster
Rochas Man (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Rochas for men and was released in 1999. The scent is sweet-gourmand. It is being marketed by Inter Parfums.

Maurice Roucel

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Green leaves, Lavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Musk
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Coffee, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Patchouli, Raspberry

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.11.2020.

The original
Thanks to this forum I tested this fragrance for the first time, as I was looking for an alternative to Eisenberg J'ose. Because of Eisenberg's miserable performance I didn't buy it for years, although I liked the fragrance very much despite its somewhat synthetic vein.

Right after spraying it on the test strip I thought: Wow! That really smells like Eisenberg J'ose. Just a teeny bit sweeter in the opening. Personally a little bit too sweet for me, but still everything is fine. I like sweet scents as long as the sweetness is not enormous.

I will not go into the components. Just imagine Eisenberg J'ose with a slightly sweeter opening. That's pretty much it. No big changes in the rest of the course (which I think is good in this case), until the sweetness and later the flowery nuances diminish a bit
The durability is average. It lasts, at least for me, about 4-5 hours. The sillage is medium to slightly strong.

Thank God I found this scent. I noticed that Eisenberg J'ose is simply a worse and more expensive copy of this scent. After all, Rocha's Man appeared earlier. This one will definitely get a place on my shelf.
Maximus88
Oh, how beautiful Panama is...
...often it's only when you've been somewhere else that you realize what you have together"

This sentence, which I so gladly borrow from Max Herre for all kinds of situations, is at least as versatile as this great fragrance by Rochas. But as much as I like this fragrance, there was a moment in my younger years when I simply "got fed up". It fits somehow ;).

But as much as I tested other perfumes described as coffee scents, I wanted my Rochas back.
This beautiful entry with lavender as the main note then the fine transition into sweet coffee and even more sweet coffee. Mhhhhhhhhhh... Every nuance of this perfume reminds me of the greatest situations of my late youth. The way home (on foot, of course) with my boys after a night of drinking in one of the many clubs in our old town, summer evenings on the Rhine meadows with everybody, Christmas with the family... But also my first job interview, or being asked about the great smell by fellow students and teachers at the university and vocational school.

In my opinion there are hardly any situations to which Rochas cannot be worn. The fragrance has a long range with only a few splashes, only the durability could be longer. Personally, I think the bottle is very beautiful, only the plastic on top could be replaced by a metal.

In the end, after all these years, this fragrance is still one of my favourite scents and from my rather small and not very high-quality collection, it is clearly among the top 3. I can recommend this perfume to anyone who is looking for a good, extraordinary, recognisable fragrance at a very good price.

Video will follow
More café than coffee
First of all, the more "unimportant" things. In my opinion, the bottle is nice, but not the yellow of the egg either. The previous speakers have already sufficiently described the similarities to certain "toys". The sprayer of the flacon surprised me very much, it sprays itself in contrast to many other fragrances from this price segment very high-quality and good.
Now to the part which probably motivated me to read the review. The scent
This fragrance composition is opened with an interplay of lavender and vanilla, in the first few minutes with an alcoholic touch, which however quickly fades away. Bergamot, which according to the information should also determine the head, but I can't sniff it, well, anyway, it smells good without it!

According to my perception, the scent is relatively linear, which I personally find quite pleasant. The lavender, which is very dominant at first, disappears and a sweet composition of vanilla and amber shapes the olfactory perception. If you take the time to analyse the scent really carefully, the coffee note will also be more present in your own olfactory perception, but I find it rather inappropriate to call the reformulation of this scent a "coffee scent". As mentioned above, the note is certainly perceptible, but rather subliminal and as an underlining ingredient of the rest of the composition. Should a buyer have the same intention as I did at the time of purchase, to smell coffee for the untrained nose of the world around, I don't think he will make the right choice. The "headline" of this review describes this fragrance in a few words quite concisely and appropriately, in my opinion. The buyer gets the experience of a visit in a café, in which not only coffee, but also sweet - and pasta of other kinds are offered. I smell in this fragrance, even if not indicated, for example a subtle honey note.
In Conclusio the fragrance brings much more sweetness and less coffee than expected, how to evaluate this is up to everyone.

I would describe the durability of the fragrance as average. On my skin the scent lasts for about 6 hours, but with the beginning of the 4th hour it loses its sillage and can only be smelled close to the skin, especially in the first hours it smells good to the environment.

Summing up, I would not like to suggest a buy recommendation here, but neither would I advise against the purchase. Depending on how much importance is attached to the actual perceptibility of the scent "coffee", you can either be disappointed or discover a new favourite scent. My search for the fragrance, which primarily smells like freshly ground coffee, will definitely not end here, but I am happy to welcome the "Rochas Man" in my collection!
Emko47
Yummie... deliciously gourmand... but unfortunately not like the old days ????
Used once years ago and has always been one of my favorite... if not my favorite fragrance! For a while it was nowhere to be found so I used a clone/duplicate of it for a long time. (Turkish production). Some time ago I got the current Rochas Men via Dgls Online. Arrived it unpacked and was shocked sad that it was hardly like before! So the rating is for the fragrance as it was before...
As you have noticed, as with many other fragrances, there is a new recipe here too... Bummer! But it's a good thing that I have a clone or a dupe of the fragrance that smells exactly like the old recipe and has the same durability as the Rochas used to have!
The fragrance is best suited for going out and in the evening. An absolute compliment getter! br /> Many women say that they would carry it themselves

Oleo
An old fragrance for a new man
Rochas Man is a classic that has been pleasing people for twenty years. This is a fact that transcends any opinion or doubt.

Indeed, it's a creation ahead of its time, which has originated a whole new genre of fragrances - I can easily list now, without thinking, more than twenty "inspired by Rochas Man" fragrances -.

But... How has Rochas Man aged over time? How is it right now, compared with the current scene of releases?

Well... Rochas Man remains an attractive, gentle and pleasant fragrance. It isn't dated, and retains a different spirit from the new "gourmands" that have taken so much of it. In fact, Rochas Man is a "fougere with gourmand nuances", and not what is now sold as a typical "gourmand" fragrance.

So Rochas Man is refined, classy, soft, modern, urban... Fresh and warm, romantic and professional... It's something unique, really. Just keep in mind that this fragrance fits better with the typical metrosexual man, rather than with a untidy and wild troll.

- Longevity: 7- 8h +/-.

- Projection: Moderate.

- Mood: Suitable for any time, but perfect on cold days: It is warm and comforting... And seductive, definitely.

- Scenario & Occasions: Always. For dates, office, leisure time... You can wear it all year round; just avoid very hot days.

- Conclusion: A great scent. Not a work of art, but a masterpiece in the designers game.
my second skin
Rocha's Man I smelled for the first time at a friend of my cousin's.

The scent did not fit him and I asked directly: WHAT IS THAT PLEASE?
He still pronounced the scent wrongly, so that I felt it took me an eternity to guess which one it was, since google did not yet belong to us.
I was 16 and it was my first own fragrance.
What can I say, to get today only with Mueller drugstore, he pursues me nevertheless.
There is hardly a fragrance that harmonizes almost perfectly with my skin, none to which I am often addressed and which rises in such a multifaceted tower.
I don't suppose green leaves or lilies of the valley were here. Coffee, vanilla, musk all the more. After an eternity, raspberry is added, followed by lavender. Also here still light with the vanilla.
Unfortunately, this fragrance also serves a certain cliché...
He is pudirg, maybe a little flashy, ostentatious...BUT... i can't help it, unfortunately over many years one of my signature fragrances, which I certainly bought 4.5 times again
Cafe Latte with Vanilla
The scent reminds me lately of a delicious latte macchiato with vanilla flavour. But the coffee is a dark roast because it is slightly scratchy. But the vanilla is softer and lies a bit in the background.

The fragrance starts with me directly very strong with the coffee note very slightly I take the lavender was still and after a few minutes the delicate vanilla already penetrates. A very fine beautiful vanilla not sugar sweet or sticky or. It's not the finest fragrance compisition finder it comes across slightly synthetic but above average. But for people who love coffee scents should definitely test it or include it in their collection because it is priced in the lower price segment.
The durability of the perfume lies with me with approx. 4 hours, I find it portable the whole year round since it never gets sticky sweet and nobody gets on my nerves.
There's not much to say about the bottle very fancy looks almost like a plug.

I must honestly say I expected a lot more from him than gourmand fragrance because I love this kind of perfume but he takes a different direction. Still no bad buy just because of the great price.

Gourmand Fougere
Scentrack:
Rhye - The Fall

After 10 years I felt I have to purchase my college fragrance again. I remember Rochas Man being more powdery and less clean than current version. A really nice mix of coffee, sweet raspberry, lavender and subtle flowers on the gorgeous base of vanilla, amber and cedar. I can exactly pinpoint Roucel's signature, similar to one felt in Lancome Hypnose Homme. Hypnose is an a aromatic fougere, while Rochas is gourmand fougere- the chimera of two usually opposite genres.
Sweet, magnetic attractive, fragile and celestial. Perfectly intimate and introverted. Rochas always made brave, yet somehow commercially unsuccessful fragrances. I always have been weak on commercial losers, like I always preferred Wile E. Coyote over The Road Runner.

Rating: 7.5/10

More on Scentimentalwords

Lavender Cappuccino
A sweet coffee blended with lavander. I wouldn't say it's like Givenchy Play Intense. Though both smell coffee, Rochas Man is significantly sweeter, and might not do well in hot summer. I find it too sweet on men for daytime. For night out it's more suitable. But worn by a girl it has no problem. The sillage is close and the longevity is 7h+.

Originally written in 2013.

Exquisite gourmand
If there’s a bunch of good masculine-to-unisex gourmands, Rochas Man would be surely in. And possibly be the uncle of them all. Two references come to mind as a comparison among dozens; Yohji Homme, and Thierry Mugler’s style. Rochas Man is just way more discreet, compelling and refined than most of Mugler’s offerings, yet less sophisticated, cold and “avantgarde” than Yohji. Still that would be the family more or less; a coffee-anisic gourmand top accord on a sort of crisp barbershop-powdery base comprising mostly lavender, sandalwood, spices, amber, a hint of bracing citrus. Two notes or accords stand out for me in particular: coffee and flowers. The smell of coffee here is quite remarkably executed: slightly sweet yet “roasted”, earthy, much aromatic, fairly “natural”, mellow and dark, perfectly blending with amber and woods. Slightly milky and vanillic too, as if it was meant to evoke a “cup” of coffee rather than coffee beans – so, say, a quite “urban” and civilised approach to coffee notes, still quite realistic and not that tackily plastic (take that, Mugler). On the other hand, “barbershop” and fougère-ish grassy flowers provide a silky, gentle frame of clean powderiness, bit of “freshly laundered shirt” vibe, providing some more classic “masculine cologne” feel. Woods and amber do the rest acting as a discreet, warm, slightly earthy frame with a hint of smooth leather. What would you ask more? Rochas Man is one of those clever, well-crafted scents that have them all: it’s versatile, it’s classy, it’s distinctive, it’s surely kind of a “youngster” but perfectly suitable for gentlemen; it’s bright and dark, it’s quite “daring” yet completely civilised and wearable. It’s a bold gourmand, but it’s composed in a way it stays elegantly warm and discreet on skin, stopping just a step before getting tacky - so don’t fear smelling like a candy. You’ll smell just unique. Good stuff.

8-8,5/10

EDIT: the review above was based on the later "version" (pink box, pink-ish juice). I now acquired an older bottle (wine plastic packaging, brown-ish juice) and if you're interested in a comparison, they're, say, 90% identical. The 10% is what makes the earlier version better; slightly less sweet, more smoky, more ambery, more "mature". It's a matter of subtle nuances but if you get the chance, my advise would be to prefer the earlier bottles.

Finerthings8Finerthings8 17 days ago
It is a sweet gourmand scent.i get mostly vanilla,amber and bit of coffee.unfortunately very shy performance
HugoMontezHugoMontez 1 month ago
One of the best creamy vanilla-lavender-coffee scents out there. Comforting and seductive scent. Grab a vintage bottle if you can.
GreMuserGreMuser 3 months ago
Synthetic, sweet and nauseating. Nope for me.
MrHonestMrHonest 1 year ago
A strangely chaotic opening, but a lovely aromatic, POWDERY vanilla-n-cream lavender drydown. Like floating in clouds of powdered sugar. Mmm
TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
I don't take this scent too seriously. A mild cafe latte with a teaspoon of lavender syrup added. I'll have mine takeaway, please.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
1.5
Chemical garbage. One of the most synthetic "perfumes" I've ever smelled.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
Creamy coffee vanilla scent.
Excellent mid season fragrance.
This beautiful bottle must be kept on sight.
My wife loves its capuccino vibe.
HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Sweetened cappuccino with some raspberry and subtle lavender freshness. Unusual and chic!

by Mojtaba
by Bradigow
by Inse
by Inse

Popular Rochas

Moustache (Eau de Parfum) by Rochas Femme (1989) (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Macassar (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Mystère (Eau de Parfum) by Rochas Macassar (After-Shave Lotion) by Rochas Absolu by Rochas Eau de Rochas Homme (1993) (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Byzance (1987) (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Alchimie (Eau de Parfum) by Rochas Lui Rochas by Rochas Femme (1945) (Parfum) by Rochas Moustache Original 1949 by Rochas Eau de Rochas (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Madame Rochas (1960) by Rochas Madame Rochas (1989) (Eau de Parfum) by Rochas Moustache (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Rochas Globe (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Eau de Rochas Fraîche by Rochas Eau Sensuelle by Rochas Moustache (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas