Rochas Man (1999) Eau de Toilette

Rochas Man (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas
Bottle Design: Franzrudolf Lehnert, Michael Forster

Rochas Man (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Rochas for men and was released in 1999. The scent is sweet-gourmand. It is being marketed by Inter Parfums.

Maurice Roucel

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Green leaves, Lavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Musk
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Coffee, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Patchouli, Raspberry

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 08.10.2019

8.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

my second skin
Rocha's Man I smelled for the first time at a friend of my cousin's.

The scent did not fit him and I asked directly: WHAT IS THAT PLEASE?
He still pronounced the scent wrongly, so that I felt it took me an eternity to guess which one it was, since google did not yet belong to us.
I was 16 and it was my first own fragrance.
What can I say, to get today only with Mueller drugstore, he pursues me nevertheless.
There is hardly a fragrance that harmonizes almost perfectly with my skin, none to which I am often addressed and which rises in such a multifaceted tower.
I don't suppose green leaves or lilies of the valley were here. Coffee, vanilla, musk all the more. After an eternity, raspberry is added, followed by lavender. Also here still light with the vanilla.
Unfortunately, this fragrance also serves a certain cliché...
He is pudirg, maybe a little flashy, ostentatious...BUT... i can't help it, unfortunately over many years one of my signature fragrances, which I certainly bought 4.5 times again
5.0 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

Cafe Latte with Vanilla
The scent reminds me lately of a delicious latte macchiato with vanilla flavour. But the coffee is a dark roast because it is slightly scratchy. But the vanilla is softer and lies a bit in the background.

The fragrance starts with me directly very strong with the coffee note very slightly I take the lavender was still and after a few minutes the delicate vanilla already penetrates. A very fine beautiful vanilla not sugar sweet or sticky or. It's not the finest fragrance compisition finder it comes across slightly synthetic but above average. But for people who love coffee scents should definitely test it or include it in their collection because it is priced in the lower price segment.
The durability of the perfume lies with me with approx. 4 hours, I find it portable the whole year round since it never gets sticky sweet and nobody gets on my nerves.
There's not much to say about the bottle very fancy looks almost like a plug.

I must honestly say I expected a lot more from him than gourmand fragrance because I love this kind of perfume but he takes a different direction. Still no bad buy just because of the great price.
7.0 5.0 6.0 7.5/10

Gourmand Fougere
Scentrack:
Rhye - The Fall

After 10 years I felt I have to purchase my college fragrance again. I remember Rochas Man being more powdery and less clean than current version. A really nice mix of coffee, sweet raspberry, lavender and subtle flowers on the gorgeous base of vanilla, amber and cedar. I can exactly pinpoint Roucel's signature, similar to one felt in Lancome Hypnose Homme. Hypnose is an a aromatic fougere, while Rochas is gourmand fougere- the chimera of two usually opposite genres.
Sweet, magnetic attractive, fragile and celestial. Perfectly intimate and introverted. Rochas always made brave, yet somehow commercially unsuccessful fragrances. I always have been weak on commercial losers, like I always preferred Wile E. Coyote over The Road Runner.

Rating: 7.5/10

More on Scentimentalwords
4.0 6.0 7.0 6.0/10

Lavender Cappuccino
A sweet coffee blended with lavander. I wouldn't say it's like Givenchy Play Intense. Though both smell coffee, Rochas Man is significantly sweeter, and might not do well in hot summer. I find it too sweet on men for daytime. For night out it's more suitable. But worn by a girl it has no problem. The sillage is close and the longevity is 7h+.

Originally written in 2013.

Exquisite gourmand
If there’s a bunch of good masculine-to-unisex gourmands, Rochas Man would be surely in. And possibly be the uncle of them all. Two references come to mind as a comparison among dozens; Yohji Homme, and Thierry Mugler’s style. Rochas Man is just way more discreet, compelling and refined than most of Mugler’s offerings, yet less sophisticated, cold and “avantgarde” than Yohji. Still that would be the family more or less; a coffee-anisic gourmand top accord on a sort of crisp barbershop-powdery base comprising mostly lavender, sandalwood, spices, amber, a hint of bracing citrus. Two notes or accords stand out for me in particular: coffee and flowers. The smell of coffee here is quite remarkably executed: slightly sweet yet “roasted”, earthy, much aromatic, fairly “natural”, mellow and dark, perfectly blending with amber and woods. Slightly milky and vanillic too, as if it was meant to evoke a “cup” of coffee rather than coffee beans – so, say, a quite “urban” and civilised approach to coffee notes, still quite realistic and not that tackily plastic (take that, Mugler). On the other hand, “barbershop” and fougère-ish grassy flowers provide a silky, gentle frame of clean powderiness, bit of “freshly laundered shirt” vibe, providing some more classic “masculine cologne” feel. Woods and amber do the rest acting as a discreet, warm, slightly earthy frame with a hint of smooth leather. What would you ask more? Rochas Man is one of those clever, well-crafted scents that have them all: it’s versatile, it’s classy, it’s distinctive, it’s surely kind of a “youngster” but perfectly suitable for gentlemen; it’s bright and dark, it’s quite “daring” yet completely civilised and wearable. It’s a bold gourmand, but it’s composed in a way it stays elegantly warm and discreet on skin, stopping just a step before getting tacky - so don’t fear smelling like a candy. You’ll smell just unique. Good stuff.

8-8,5/10

EDIT: the review above was based on the later "version" (pink box, pink-ish juice). I now acquired an older bottle (wine plastic packaging, brown-ish juice) and if you're interested in a comparison, they're, say, 90% identical. The 10% is what makes the earlier version better; slightly less sweet, more smoky, more ambery, more "mature". It's a matter of subtle nuances but if you get the chance, my advise would be to prefer the earlier bottles.
7.5 7.5 10.0/10

OLD FRIEND
Masterpiece.Maurice Roucel reflects his melancholy through this masterpiece.I wish the sillage and longevity would be better.if someone will produce the new version of this long lasting and reducing some feminine effects, it would be the ever best seller.
10.0 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Mojtaba
Men's fragrance with a sweet aroma
Sweet aromas with scents of lavender and jasmine fragrance, this scent is very mild, and the lily of the valley and musk notes, middle and end with the aroma of vanilla, sandalwood, amber and coffee aroma and the flavor is very creamy and delicious Caramel 's.
7.5 5.0 5.0 6.0/10

Miaw2
Delicious coffee and lavender based scent
Delicious scent.

Very well blended, much more softer than New Harlem and not sweet as Play Intense.

Lots of lavender, lily and coffee, very well blended with vanilla.

Nice drydown and average lasting power, with soft projection.

Updated January 2014
5.0 5.0 7.5 8.0/10

Very nice
Women should also pay attention to this beautiful fragrance! Very comforting and sweet. Don´t let the woody-spicy despription scare you off. Just try it. The lavender is sublte and there are a lot ot nice things going on in this fragrance. Gourmand, sweet, but also fresh. Recommend this to women and men who like woody and sweet fragrances with a unisex feel.
2.5 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

The perfect masculine for setting the mood
I'm not sure why, but prior to testing, I had imagined Rochas Man would smell really sweet, almost sugary. I pictured something more feminine than masculine. Well, I'm glad my assumptions proved incorrect, because although this fragrance is mildy sweet with its bold gourmand accords, it's something that really gets my heart racing, if you know what I mean.

My man has been wearing Altamir by Ted Lapidus for nearly a full year now, and while I love it on him, whenever he's 'in the mood', he practically drowns himself in it which makes it difficult for me to get close to him with all that sickly, spicy sweetness in the air. Rochas Man is a scent in a similar vein to Altamir but thankfully with a lot less sillage. That's not to say that the sillage isn't good, because it is. It projects itself well and lasts an outstanding length of time too.

Rochas Man is sweet, (like I mentioned earlier), but more focused on the sweet aromas of a capuccino, a bottle of vanilla essence and lavender-scented powder. Together they all blend to create one very delicious combination.

I actually revel in how masculine Rochas Man turned out to be. My immediate thoughts when the scent hit me was, "boyfriend... bed... now!" It's a scent that needs no introduction.

They don't make many gourmands for men these days, and that saddens me, since as a female I find them much more appealing than feminine gourmands. Vanilla is surprisingly sexy on a man's skin. Needless to say I bought a bottle for the man in question, and although he laughed at the somewhat sexually suggestive bottle design, (he does hide the bottle from his friends to avoid snide remarks), he wears it whenever I go to his house to stay for the weekend. Lucky me. And even though he still sprays in abandon, it's a fragrance I don't mind in heavy doses.
4.0/10

Recipe for a vanilla caramel 2 X 4
Normally I have stories for the fragrances I write about. For Rochas Man I got...

...nada.

After reading loads of favorable reviews I happened to see Rochas Man on sale at a discount store, so I bought it. I've tried it numerous times since and I still can't understand all the enthusiasm.

When you first apply Rochas Man it's big, over the top, syrupy and vanilla caramel sweet. As it dries down the only thing that changes is that it's not as big and over the top but just as syrupy sweet. Then, as Rochas Man dries down further, wood comes through. Except it's not the sandalwood listed in the notes. It's more like freshly cut 2 X 4 lumber. That's about it, a vanilla caramel scented 2 X 4. Aside from the woodiness it's very similar to Givenchy Pi. Pi is roundly disparaged so why does Rochas Man catch a break?

Oh, and the bottle? Not to be indelicate but, well, you know...

Addendum: Sherapop noted in her comment to my review that many people think of Rochas Man as a coffee scent. Since I hadn’t mentioned coffee at all she wondered if I found it wanting in that regard. Before I wrote my original review I had scanned through other reviews but I couldn't recall coffee being mentioned. So I made a search of “best coffee fragrances” and, of course, Sherapop is right: Rochas Man appears frequently as a popular coffee fragrance. So I reapplied Rochas Man, tuned my inner nose to coffee and... I dunno... maybe I could get to coffee if it were a super sweet, milk laden caramel cafe latte. And I may be willing to concede that what I called the sawn “2 x 4” wood accord might be coffee notes interacting with other essences. Maybe? Ultimately my overriding impression is still sweet, vanilla caramel. I wouldn’t count on Rochas Man for my coffee fix.

MrHonest 75 days ago
A strangely chaotic opening, but a lovely aromatic, POWDERY vanilla-n-cream lavender drydown. Like floating in clouds of powdered sugar. Mmm
Trucklady 138 days ago
I don't take this scent too seriously. A mild cafe latte with a teaspoon of lavender syrup added. I'll have mine takeaway, please.
9.0
6.0
6.0
JoaoMartins 12 months ago
Chemical garbage. One of the most synthetic "perfumes" I've ever smelled.+1
2.0
1.5
Carlitos01 18 months ago
Creamy coffee vanilla scent.
Excellent mid season fragrance.
This beautiful bottle must be kept on sight.
My wife loves its capuccino vibe.+5
9.0
Hermesh 4 years ago
Sweetened cappuccino with some raspberry and subtle lavender freshness. Unusual and chic!+2

by Mojtaba
by Bradigow
by Inse
by Inse

Popular Rochas

Rochas Man (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Eau de Rochas Homme (1993) (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Femme (1989) (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Tocade (1994) (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Absolu by Rochas Byzance (1987) (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Eau de Rochas (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Alchimie (Eau de Parfum) by Rochas Mystère (Eau de Parfum) by Rochas Eau Sensuelle by Rochas Madame Rochas (1960) by Rochas Lui Rochas by Rochas Macassar (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Globe (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Eau de Rochas Fraîche by Rochas Madame Rochas (1989) by Rochas Moustache (Eau de Toilette) by Rochas Lumière (1984) (Eau de Parfum) by Rochas Poupée by Rochas Secret de Rochas by Rochas